test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your favourite sci-fi/fantasy novels?

ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
Hey all, I started this thread because (1) I thought it would be interesting to share our literary preferences, and (2) I'm always looking for new things to read. So, as the question above asks, what are some of your favourite sci-fi and fantay novels/novel series?

My faves include:

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville-- Really well-written steampunk/fantasy, with plentiful dashes of the gritty and the absurd.

A Song of Ice And Fire series by George R.R. Martin- I'll admit, I was introduced to the series by Game of Thrones, but that little introduction was enough to leave me hooked. It's a great fantasy setting where there are no heroes, where magic is rare and scary, and no one lives happily ever after.

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett-- I'll admit, Pratchett can't write endings well. Otherwise, though, it's hard not to like Discworld: Pratchett's narrative is almost always enticing and, more often than not, hilarious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ambassadormolari on

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Discworld.

Anything and everything by Brandon Sanderson, but especially Mistborn: The Final Empire, The Way of Kings, and Steelheart.

Anything and everything by John Scalzi, but especially Redshirts and The Android's Dream.

The Wheel of Time series.

That's my list.
  • saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sci-fi:

The Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee.

The Foundation novels by Isaac Asimov

Fantasy:

Wheel of Time
    Sword of Truth series
    Songs of Fire and Ice
    Anything by R.A. Salvator
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For old style sci-fi you should do some H.G. Wells. Some of may seem low tech but you have to remember that when they were written it was considered high tech/fictional.
    I recommend:
    The Time Machine.
    The War Of The Worlds.
    The War in the Air. (The beginning is slow but it gets better later on).
    The Island of Dr. Moroue.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the only time i really read books was years ago in school, a series of books under the title "horrible histories", a way of poking humor in historical events like you would in a cartoon. beyond that i tried for my life to read books but i always fall a sleep to reading them, no matter how hard i try. some books i have been through on babylon 5 but never got around to other books in the star trek collection and have had then over 2 years now.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dune

I also enjoyed the Last Legionary Series when I was younger :cool:
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited March 2014
    "The Elvenbane" - Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey

"Shakespeare's Planet" - Clifford D. Simak

"Battlefield Earth" - L. Ron Hubbard

"I, Robot" - Isaac Asimov
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I could spend an hour replying to this thread...
    • Neal Asher's Polity universe is wacky, fantastic, and too violent for kids.
    • I've only made it two books into Jack Campbell's military-focused Lost Fleet series. It seems decent but not amazing. I have a hard time with books written in the first person.
    • Speaking of military fiction, Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series is fun for the first six books or so. It might not count as "true" SF/F since it's an alternate WWII timeline.
    • James S.A. Corey (a pen name for two guys whose names I can't remember) wrote an awesome trilogy that starts with Leviathan Wakes. Each book is fantastic in its own way (as opposed to three identical books like many trilogies end up).
    • Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns and Pushing Ice are good. I haven't started the Revelation Space series yet...
    • Heinlein's Starship Troopers
    • You can get some of Philip K. Dic*'s old short stories for free. (Substitute k for *. Aah forum, it's his last name!) They are way dated and fun for that reason.
    • Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game is good. Speaker for the Dead (the next book) is also good. I gave up on the third book.
    • If you are going to read Star Wars, Timothy Zahn is the best author by far. You can't go wrong with him.
    • Star Trek books also vary wildly in quality. David Mack is my favorite. The Vanguard and Destiny books are great.

That's enough to keep you busy for a little while.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Discworld, or anything by Terry Pratchet.
    Hitchhikers Guide series (even 'And Another Thing').
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, the Discworld novels seem to be a given for almost anyone (the rather self-aware narration and dry humor give me a good laugh every time).

Larry Niven, before the wheels fell off (sometime late in the Draco Tavern stories, as best I can tell - definitely between Ringworld Engineers and The Ringworld Throne, anyway). This includes his earlier collaborations with Jerry Pournelle (The Mote In God's Eye, Lucifer's Hammer, and even Footfall when I'm being generous), but not The Gripping Hand - the ending feels too contrived.

Spider Robinson, with the exception of his Heinlein pastiche Night of Power - he was still in mourning over the old man, and it showed. And of course there was a time after Jeanne died, when he wasn't producing anything of note. Very Bad Deaths, however - wow!

Oh, speaking of Heinlein, Heinlein. You have to account sometimes for societal norms when he was writing, and the state of scientific knowledge (for much of his career, the ancient Martians still seemed plausible, for instance). Also, the last two novels, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls and To Sail Beyond the Sunset, kind of suffer from preachiness syndrome - he knew he was dying, and was desperate to make his points again before going. (The postmortem collaboration with Spider, Variable Star, is just about up to the old standards, however.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Anne McAffrey - dragons of pern series.

Dune trilogy.

Battlefield Earth, books a hell of a lot better than the joke of a film.

Deep Domain by Harve bennett, the original script to st4 before it was changed to voyage home and the tie in to the prob's of whaling in the 80's.

Anything from terry pratchetts discworld series ( only cause i love death/ the luggage/ and cohen the barbarian.
    ).
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I could go on for hours about this sort of thing, so I will limit myself to recommendations from the parts of my bookshelves I can see from where I'm sitting right now.

Ursula le Guin - The Dispossessed is probably her best (and most lauded) SF novel, but The Left Hand of Darkness is the one I actually like the most.

If you read H.G. Wells (and I do, in quantity), you may also be interested in his contemporary Olaf Stapledon. The textbook-dry style might not be to everyone's tastes, but books such as Last and First Men and Star Maker opened my eyes to some truly cosmic concepts at a comparatively tender age.

I can see one book by Polish master Stanislaw Lem, so let's throw him in the list. (The one I can see, Fiasco, is nowhere near his best. Try Solaris or His Master's Voice, or if in a lighter mood, The Cyberiad or The Star Diaries.)

Can see a Jack Vance... cannot think of a time when I've picked up a Jack Vance book and been seriously disappointed.

Can also see an omnibus of James White's "Sector General" hospital-in-space stories. Those are well worth a look.

And down just on the fringe of my vision is a pile of Lois McMaster Bujold's "Vorkosigan" books... these never fail to entertain, at least.

Can also see some that have already been recommended, so I'll stop now.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Discworld, or anything by Terry Pratchet.
    Hitchhikers Guide series (even 'And Another Thing').

About your comment on Trek books. Agreed Mack is king, Man if he could have written the story for this game. I has seen several of his character's appear in this game. Namely D'Tan and a few others. Also the Vesta Class starship is his as is the Luna class. Just think how great this game would have been if it would have been based on the Destiny storyline. Or if Nemiisis would have never happened and they made the Destiny books into the last 3 movies. It would have saved the franchise and probibly spawned a new TV show based on the USSTitan
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    @saihung423: Thanks for reminding me of Rama! Brilliant book, an example of what good hard sci-fi should be. I didn't care much for the sequels, though.

If we're going to include books tying in to existing franchises, then....

Star Wars:
    The "Thrawn" trilogy by Timothy Zahn-
    As has already been mentioned by a previous poster, Timothy Zahn is a really good writer, and his Star Wars books demonstrate that quite well (my only gripe, though, is that he can't write space battles very well). Aside from the fact that Thrawn himself is one of the most intriguing characters in the Star Wars universe, this trilogy was also interesting for showing things from the Imperial perspective.

Star Trek:
    New Frontier series by Peter David-
    I'll admit, I haven't read much of New Frontier, but what little I've read of it, I like. The crew of the Excalibur is wonderfully rag-tag and eclectic, and Mackenzie Calhoun is a wonderful departure from the more straight-laced captains like Picard and Sisko.
    Other honourable mentions: Rogue Saucer by John Vornholt, A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson.

Warhammer 40:000:
    Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett-
    while I realize that WH40k isn't everyone's cup of tea, I must say that they have quite a few good writers on staff. Dan Abnett, in particular, is really good at writing battle scenes and creating likeable characters, and I'd have to say that the Gaunt's Ghosts series is some of the best military sci-fi I've read.
    Other honourable mentions: the Horus Heresy series by various authors, Priests of Mars by Graham McNeill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh, man, how did I forget James White in my list? One slap on the wrist for me! (I think his most brilliantly realized character was Cha Thrat, warrior-surgeon...)

I also forgot Diane Duane, who is just a really good writer all around. I think her best Trek work was the Rihannsu novels; I found The Wounded Sky a bit over the top. In non-Trek work, the Wizard series is commendable - I know it's stuck in the Young Adult ghetto, but it's worth a read anyway.

I know I'm forgetting things here...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Foundation series by Issac Asimov. I, Robot by Asimov as well. Have to second a previous poster who listed Diane Duane. I really enjoyed both The Romulan Way and Dark Mirror.

Anything at all by Robert A. Heinlein. Highly recommend anything with his name on it. Most people know about Starship Troopers from the films, but the novel was very different. Not surprised Hollywood would dumb the book down into a sci fi shoot 'em up with a little T&A thrown in.

Lester Del Ray is another overlooked author. His books are long out of print but a Google search should give a listing of this prolific and excellent writer. Right off the top of my head I cannot name anything he wrote because it has been years since I read his stuff.

Anything in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

Keith Laumer. For both the Retief series and the BOLO stories. David Drake has done a fine job of carrying on with the BOLOs.

Last but not least E.E. 'Doc' Smith. The Lensman series is pure space opera and a really fun rollercoaster of a read. The Skylark of Space ain't too bad either.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hitchhikers, Dirk Gently's, Diskworld, various terrible pulps.
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dune

Ender's Game

God Emperor of Dune

Seventh Son

Dragons of Autum Twilight, Winter Night, and Spring Dawning

Dragonlance Twins Trilogy

Star Wars Heirs of the Empire Trilogy

Mobile Suit Gundam (Novelization)

Star Wars Legacy Graphic Novels.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2014
    I've moved on to other genres years back (notably mystery) but I read a ton in my youth. Memorable:

1. The Narnia series
    2. Dune (I still think this would make a great MMO)
    3. The Elfstones of Shannara & The Elf Queen of Shannara. I think these were the best of the early Shannara books. Both were stories with more emotional impact, IMHO, than the other books.
    4. A Wizard of Earthsea
    5. In Trek it would have to be The Final Reflection and anything by Diane Duane, especially My Enemy, My Ally

This is not counting my likes from all those considered classics in scifi/fantasy: The Odyssey, Beowulf, The Faerie Queene, Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The First Men In The Moon, A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Asimov, Heinlein, Wells, Clarke, of course, but others mentioned them repeatedly.
    Anne McAffrey - dragons of pern series.

Yes. She also wrote Pegasus in Space which was pretty interesting.
    Anything in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

Keith Laumer. For both the Retief series and the BOLO stories. David Drake has done a fine job of carrying on with the BOLOs.

David Drake? You mean David Weber?

He also worked on the Starfire series with Steve White: Crusade, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option, Insurrection, etc.
    3. The Elfstones of Shannara & The Elf Queen of Shannara. I think these were the best of the early Shannara books. Both were stories with more emotional impact, IMHO, than the other books.

Terry Brooks. :D

Some other stuff from my youth:

Charles Sheffield: Tomorrow and Tomorrow, The Web Between the Worlds, The Spheres of Heaven, Transvergence

Elizabeth Moon: Change of Command, Phases, Once a Hero

Stephen Baxter: Titan

Susan R. Matthews: Colony Fleet

Jeffery D. Kooistra: Dykstra's War

Chris Atack: Project Maldon

Frederik Pohl: Mining the Oort

The library from my high school modernized and added an online index a couple years ago and I had fun rummaging through it and writing down the titles of books I read back when I was in school.

I'm trying to track down a book whose title and author I cannot remember based on fragments of story that I remember and it's driving me nuts. The cover of the book may have had a half-cybernetic anthropomorphic cat person vaulting a wall, or that might be a second novel whose title and author I also cannot remember.. It was almost like a series of short stories, or involved jumping forward a few decades or a few hundred years a few times during its story. Rigelians used to be the galaxy's most powerful race that enslaved all other races with mind probes until they were overthrown and wiped out. Some poor sod finds one buried in a stasis pod and wakes it up. The thing unleashes a pure E=MC^2 direct matter to energy conversion weapon on a valley that obliterates the whole place in a fraction of a second.
    And then there's another fragment I remember where a woman involved in a mountain defense finds a small piece of alien alloy and does a crude field test on it by firing at it with her gauss rifle at maximum setting without so much as scratching it. Some kid wants to play with the platinum slag from the bullet impact but it's razor sharp so she crumples it with her boot.
    Not much to go on which is why the search drives me crazy.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • lauscholauscho Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Definitely Arthur C. Clarke's "Space Odyssey" series.

Far superior to the movies in every conceivable way.
  • corethlcorethl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Belgariad and Elenium books by David Eddings. While the plots may not be the most original, the characters make them worth reading.

The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. You might consider them contemporary fantasy, but I can't say enough good things about them. And the writing makes it clear that he's one of us, too. ;) (Not in an STO sense, but in a general sense)
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited March 2014
    Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan stories I like very much. Not so much science, but very good stories with a variety of themes (family, politics at the core), in a science fiction universe.

Fantasy-wise, the series i go back to most would be Jacqueline Carey's "Kushiel's Legacy" novels. I guess family and politics are rather significant in these as well.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Mutineer's Moon story arc was AWESOME! It is of course one of those things that raises a lot of questions, but... meh.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've read more fantasy books than sci-fi books, but below are the ones like. I have moved on to techno-thrillers from authors like Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, and Robert Ludlum...

Dragonriders of Pern Trilogy - Anne McCathy
    The Thrawn Trilogy (Star Wars) - Timothy Zahn
    The Belgariad - David Eddings
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series - Steven R. Donaldson
    The Dark Elf Trilogy - R.A. Salvatore
    Split Infinity - Piers Anthony

I never read any Star Trek novels... fear of excessive techno babble...
  • cowdoc0077cowdoc0077 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All of the aforementioned are "classics". I have to second the post on Lois McMaster Bujold. But one writer that has become one of my favorite (and unfortunately he just passed away recently) is Iain M. Banks and his Culture series. If you haven't read any of these and you like good science fiction, you have to pick these up.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Off the top of my head...

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
    Lost Fleet - Jack Campbell
    The 'Culture' novels - Iain M. Banks
    The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
    'Wool' Trilogy - Hugh Howey
    The 'Horus Heresy' series - various
    'Odd Thomas' series - Dean Koontz
    'Discworld' series - Terry Pratchett
    Humanity's Fire - Michael Cobley
    Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
    Mistborn series - Brandon Sanderson
    The Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Mort" - Terry Pratchett

The depiction of Death, the creative use of text formatting, the comical nature of Pratchett contrasting the serious topics brought up, the progression of Mort...

BEAUTIFUL
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I AM LEGEND

I know, its horror, in a fantasy/sci-fi setting, but those last lines will forever have be in my heart as Robert Neville comes to the horrible realization and thinks those immortal words. You really do not understand revolution and sacrifice until you have read this book. And no gosh darn sparkly vamps here!
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Urth of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe (Shadow of the Torturer, et. al.) for fantastic use of language and wonderfully arcane ideas.

Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius by Jorge Luis Borges; a strange and well-executed concept.

Witch World series, Andre Norton; fantasy from the golden era of that kind of material, prolific and fun.

The Culture novels by Iain M. Banks; hedonistic utopian humanity in a future dominated by social engineering.

Uplift series by David Brin; what happens in a galaxy in which humanity is a very small species and very technologically backward?

War Against the Chtorr series by David Gerrold; alien invasion by environmental proxy. Earth is being alien-formed by more aggressive life-forms seeded by unknown hostiles.

And many, many more!