test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

how to make a screenprint _with_ UI?

dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
I searched and found a thread that said ALT+Print Screen would make a screen print of the UI. I tried it but it didn't work. I am trying to take a screen shot of the login screen so there is no chat window for me to type in commands..
I can grab a screen print using The Gimp with a 2 second delay, but there must be a way to do it from the game client itself.

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you're running windows 8 just hit the windows key + print screen key. The screenshots will be in your my pictures folder.
  • dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fatman592 wrote: »
    If you're running windows 8 just hit the windows key + print screen key. The screenshots will be in your my pictures folder.

No, I'm running Windows 7. I just tried the windows key + print screen key and it saved a completely black .jpg. :eek:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    push the print screen key, then open paint or something and paste the screen capture.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The command you want is: screenshot_ui_jpg -- you can type that directly into the chat with a slash, like this: /screenshot_ui_jpg and it will take your screenshot. Or you can bind it to a key, like this: /bind F12 screenshot_ui_jpg which should then take a screenshot with the UI showing when you press F12. Hope I'm remembering that correctly. Give it a go and hopefully it'll do the trick. I'm uncertain if you'd have to do it once each for space and ground binds, or if once will be enough for both. (And, of course, keybinds are per-character, so likely you'll need to do it for each character you log in.)
    Live long, and prosper.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here are some console codes for you, just type these into your chat box:

/screenshot filename

Takes a screenshot without any UI components in .TGA format. Optionally a filename can be specified. If no filename is specified the filename will default to the date and time of when the screenshot was taken.

/screenshot_jpg filename

Same as above except the screenshot will be saved in .JPG format. This option is bound to the PrtScn key by default.

/screenshot_ui filename

Takes a screenshot with all displayed UI components in .TGA format. Optionally a filename can be specified. If no filename is specified the filename will default to the date and time of when the screenshot was taken.

/screenshot_ui_jpg filename

Same as above except the screenshot will be saved in .JPG format.

/screenshot_depth

Not sure about this one, have never used it before.

Hope this helps! :D
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I believe you can also bind the screenshot commands like so:

/bind L screenshot_ui_jpg

And replace L with key of choice.

-edit- ninja'd apparently

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Guys, he's trying to save a screenshot with the UI on his LOGIN screen, hence no chat box for the commands.

The best solution I see so far is ayradyss, which is to keybind the /screenshot_ui_jpg to a key and then hitting that at the login screen.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For capture, I always liked Jing, it will even upload and host the file for you through screencast.com.
  • nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Windows printscreen failing to capture full-screen games (the black image you mentioned) is a fairly well-known issue. The solution is to open the STO graphics options (from the login screen, there is an Options button on the bottom right IIRC) and set your display mode to Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen. Once you've done that, Windows printscreen should work correctly.

Additionally, if you're playing through Steam, there is a screenshot function built into the overlay. The default(?) key is F12, with screenshots saving into a dedicated folder, which can be located through the Steam menus.

Additionally additionally, Windows 7 has a Snipping Tool screenshot function. If you hit the Windows key (with STO in focus), the start menu should appear, and you should be able to get the Snipping Tool overlay to appear in front of STO.
    I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
    There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.