test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #54: Galaxy Class Reboot

Comments

• wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    No. The DD is a cruiser, not a dreadnought. Hence, it gets no Hangar Bay, just like it's Fed and Klink counterparts (the Galaxy Retrofit and the Negh'Var) don't have hangar bays.

I knew it was a cruiser. so some cruiser commands are missing :P
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I hate the ARC forum move! I do love the Galaxy news, long over due, but music to my ears, special Galaxy bridge? thanks AL! cough cough battle cloak cough....new Galaxy bridge yay!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • heero139heero139 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Really? Ensign universal? That won't change anything.

"New BOFF seating." Anyone with half a brain will put that ensign in tac where it was before. It needed ltc universal, at least.
    Zekkie@h33r0yuy
  • strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh... /10 char :rolleyes:
  • pet1e86pet1e86 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not impressed, ens tac to ensign uni, pretty useless as tac is what it needs more of so ens uni will just be used as tac anyway

Would much prefer Lt com tac over Lt com Eng.

you say you listen but clearly this is just a tease again, to what, shut us up for 3 more years?
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    special Galaxy bridge? thanks AL!
    Not special. It's the same oversized bridge pack that's been in the C-Store for ages now.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    I knew it was a cruiser. so some cruiser commands are missing :P

You know full well that you get Singularity Powers as a Romulan, hence why you don't get cruiser commands as well.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So no restoration of the cloaking device and Lance miss chance.

While it is nice that they are finally completing the update they promised 2 years ago, it still fails to address half of the core issues with the Gal-x.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh man, that's some good news. Did you guys look into adding a hangar bay to the basic T5 Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, too, though? In the old technical manuals, that ship had a massive Main Shuttle Bay, rivaling a small airport and able to hold 40 shuttlecraft and even some runabouts.
    While I'm pleased as punch to see the Galaxy-X finally brought up to speed with other ships of its tier and reputation, personally I feel that also adding a hangar bay to the T5 Galaxy would help round things out for that ship, too.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    oracle54 wrote: »
    So have they redone the models as well, it didn't say.

There are screenshots on the page you can see for yourself.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Having read the Dev Blog again, the only changes to be made to the non-dreadnought version of the Galaxy is that you'll be able to use the saucer separation without grinding to a halt. Everything else (boff arrangement, general stats, consoles, appearance etc) remains unchanged.

Not that much of a reboot after all if I'm quite honest. :(
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    You know full well that you get Singularity Powers as a Romulan, hence why you don't get cruiser commands as well.
    This argument still didn't get old? Romulan ships sacrifice their base power levels to get those abilities.

It's like saying the Ha'nom and Rom Dyson Sci Destroyers shouldn't have access to Subsystem Targeting and Sensor Analysis "because they get Singularity Powers".

Warbird Battle Cruisers like the D'Deri and the Ha'apax not getting any Cruiser Commands makes them obsolete in the game's current state.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Warbird Battle Cruisers not getting any Cruiser Commands makes them obsolete in the game's current state.

It's kind of funny, in a sense...reading somebody complaining that their OP ships are obsolete compared to the other OP ships of their faction...ignoring that they're still OP compared to the ships from the other factions. Yes, this is definitely kind of funny.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This argument still didn't get old? Romulan ships sacrifice their base power levels to get those abilities.

It's like saying the Ha'nom and Rom Dyson Sci Destroyers shouldn't have access to Subsystem Targeting and Sensor Analysis "because they get Singularity Powers".

Warbird Battle Cruisers like the D'Deri and the Ha'apax not getting any Cruiser Commands makes them obsolete in the game's current state.

A2B and Marion Dulmer and EptX powers and Engineer captains all called on a conference call. They wanted you to know the power level argument didn't hold any water 4 times over back 6 months ago, and it still doesn't now.
    edited February 2014
    It's kind of funny, in a sense...reading somebody complaining that their OP ships are obsolete compared to the other OP ships of their faction...ignoring that they're still OP compared to the ships from the other factions. Yes, this is definitely kind of funny.
    Should I start crying how OP Romulans as a whole are for my argument to be vaild?

*cough*

"OHMAHGAWD TEH ROMMIES ARE SO OP TEH POWER CREEP IS OUT OF CONTROL SCIMI OP CLOAK OP OPERATIVE OP PLS NERF DOOOOOM!!!!11one"

But seriously, that's a larger issue. Way larger.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Captain Smirk, I have an improtant question!

This Galaxy bridge being mentioned - is it the Galaxy Bridge pack that is currently availible in the C-Store or is there any chance that it is in fact a new TNG Galaxy bridge (the current one is Generations one)?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    @CaptainSmirk: Trevor, in your "STO Maintenance is now complete" post on Facebook, what Hull Material did the Venture-X have?
    edited February 2014
    Should I start crying how OP Romulans as a whole are for my argument to be vaild?

*cough*

"OHMAHGAWD TEH ROMMIES ARE SO OP TEH POWER CREEP IS OUT OF CONTROL SCIMI OP CLOAK OP OPERATIVE OP PLS NERF DOOOOOM!!!!11one"

Start? Um...that's what you were doing when I replied to you...only as a Rom. That's what made it so funny.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Geko and all .... It's not the TAC Ensign that should have been made universal ... It's the Lt. Cmdr. that should have been made universal.

This ship is no where close to the same ballpark as the Assault refit, Odyssey or Avenger.

I'll keep my regular version parked and forget the fleet version as .... It's not worth the time or money.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    edited February 2014
    Start? Um...that's what you were doing when I replied to you...only as a Rom. That's what made it so funny.
    Presenting an argument. You should try it sometime.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • captainwallis84captainwallis84 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    CaptainSmirk, are we getting any graphical changes to the Galaxy models. Textures/hull materials etc?? Sofar it just looks like a Galaxy Dreadnaught reboot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    Geko and all .... It's not the TAC Ensign that should have been made universal ... It's the Lt. Cmdr. that should have been made universal.
    If the Ensign slot is changed to be an Engineering one, then yes, this. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    well, the changes were a bit underwhelming, going along with the saucer sep. a hanger? seriously? is a pet going to be spawing pets now? whats that going to do to its cruiser commands, reduce them down to just the threat control command, the only one flight deck and dread have in common? and what of the galaxy R? will it be made a flight deck cruiser and lose 2 of its cruiser commands? thats like the only way you could make the galaxy R WORSE then it already is, your beter off doing nothing to the ship.

no one was complaining about the tac ENS the galaxy X has. but EVERYONE hates the 3rd ENG ens the galaxy R has. just a universal ENS is not enough, this is when this ship needs to be fixed and brought up to 2014 standard, or at least 2012 standard. it needs its LTC eng and LT tac stations swapped, any tac cruiser without an LTC tac is an uncompetitive also ran, the gimmick lance cant keep up with the damage potentual you can get cycling a LTC tac station power.

i hope the galaxy R was excluded from this blog so it can get its own, tommarrow. cause, the galaxy X is ok as is, but the galaxy R is the worst ship IN THE GAME BY FAR.

the saucer sep actually has a real use now, the galaxy X can use DHCs, and wile seped it will actually be pretty good at using them, to bad it wont also be able to run APO, without an LTC tac. that sep console didn't do much to help the galaxy R, it had no way to exploit its enhanced turn rate, and just suffered from being more fragile.

i must stress, that it will be a TRAGIC missed opportunity if the station fliping tech introduced on the dyson ships isn't also applied to the 2 galaxys. no one could possibly disagree that the X should get a LTC tac stranded, seriously, so lets start from there. the station fliping dyson tec should modify the galaxy X like so

unseped:

COM eng
    LTC tac
    LT eng
    LT sci
    ENS uni

seped

COM tac
    LTC eng
    LT eng
    LT sci
    ENS uni

saucer sep is the perfect excuse for a station to be fliped, more so then any transformation. the galaxy X has precedent for fliping to a COM tac, because its considered a dreadnought-cruiser. and a dreadnought, sans the qualifier cruiser, is basically a cruiser with a COM tac, as seen on the jem dread and scimitar.

the galaxy R should be changed like so

unseped

COM eng
    LTC eng

LT tac
    LT sci
    ENS uni

seped

COM eng
    LTC tac
    LT tac
    LT sci
    ENS uni

this time your just flipping LTC and LT stations, and the galaxy R remains a true cruiser seped or not. id would say make the unseped LTC a sci, but i think that would step on the ambassador's and mirror heavy's toes to much.

the new 'relaunch' of the galaxy line, you could make it so good cryptic. please dont stop short of what these ships deserve.
    edited February 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    I'll keep my regular version parked and forget the fleet version as .... It's not worth the time or money.

Take a look at the Bulwark...think about what they might do with the Fleet Gal-X...wait for the blog...then either thank them or thanks no thanks them.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I do think it's funny though that Cryptic is seriously following it's "Slap A Hangar Bay On It" trend.

Science ships need a little something. Should we rebalance sci skills? Nah give 'em some cannons and Slap A Hangar Bay On it! (Vesta)

Oh noes! Our tactical warbird for the faction already loaded down in tactical warbirds isn't selling well. Slap A Hangar Bay On It! (Ar'Kif)

Galaxy-X needs a reboot. Should we rebalance the boff seating like players want? Eh, give 'em an ensign universal or somethin' and then Slap A Hangar Bay On It!!

#SlapAHangarBayOnIt yo.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited February 2014
    Presenting an argument. You should try it sometime.

You're not very good at trolling. Do you actually expect anybody to take that obvious bait and say something about your limited intellectual capabilities so they end up getting a warning from a mod? Seriously, nobody would be stupid enough to point out how stupid you are trying to be...so stop trying to bait people into pointing out that you suffer some plethora of mental defects...

...cause nobody's going to say it.

edit: Still kind of laughing at the Rom crying that his particular Warbird is obsolete...
  • trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sorry for the Bad gateways, I think we broke the internet with the Galaxy announcement. Everyone is flooding the site in disbelief :)

Glad everyone is so excited, we have been waiting all week with baited breath to tell you about this awesome reboot!

Fleet Dreadnought details will be arriving next week!

~CaptainSmirk

Hello Captain Smirk,

I too have been waiting on the news of this "REBOOT" and as happy as I am that the attention has been given it still falls just a tad short due to the STILL limited tactical ability of the "DREADNAUGHT".

I have recently purchased the Galaxy and comparing it the to tactical abilities of the C-store version Regent class it still doesn't punch much more in fact punches less for a "Dreadnought".

PLEASE consider upgrading the tactical abilities as I DO NOT count adding a hanger would sufficient. Anyone who has it will STILL use that universal as a tac but will not change anything.

I truly believe it is still within YOUR power to give the STO community at the very least a Lt Cmdr Tac station that almost all is asking for. For me it will allow me to use all the Boff powers like TT, BO, HY & TS which I use on all my ships but cannot due to the limited tac.

I have never pleaded to the higher ups for anything but PLEASE for the love of this ICONIC ship grant us a little more punch to the beloved Galaxy X.

I hope you read this and you and the higher ups take this into consideration.

STO VA trizeo@trizeo1
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Now maybe some people will finally pipe the hell down
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Please consider dropping the ensign and making it ltc tac. Then it's autobuy for me.