test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Gate to Nowhere and Everywhere. (FanFic)

ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Ten Forward
So, this is my first attempt at a Star Trek Online Fan Fiction. Feedback would be very much appreciated.

I've put in some references to my Role-Playing activities, but you won't need to know about them to understand what's going on.

Enjoy!

Star Trek Online: Gate to Nowhere and Everywhere.
By @ryan218
Lanco III, Location Unknown, Stardate Unknown.

A large ring sits within a large complex, linked to the walls and floor by cables. The ring is made from a white metal with curving lines and several strange alien symbols. A figure stands in a haze of white light, looking at it.

Suddenly, with a chilled, calm voice, the figure speaks, "The fire in which we burn."

Chapter One

Stardate: 91688.6. Sol System, Low Earth Orbit, McKinley Station.

In the station's massive arms, the large form of the Galaxy-Class Starship U.S.S. Victorious waits majestically, its nacelles dark and impulse engines offline as worker bees glide around, moving large tritanium hull plates over the saucer section as engineering teams remove the patchwork of emergency repairs that have been conducted on the starship over the last 2 months.

Meanwhile, the Yellowstone-Class Runabout U.S.S. Orwell approaches the main shuttlebay. Inside, the crew of two; Captain Ryan Allington and the Android First Officer Commander Alpha, sit chatting.

"We are currently 2 minutes from arrival, Captain." The pale-skinned Soong-type Android is the first to speak, in a cool, monotone voice.

"Thank you, Commander." Ryan speaks, mostly focused on the paper book he's reading.

"Sir... may I ask a question?"

Ryan sets the book down on the control panel, giving Alpha his full attention. "Shoot."

Alpha looks at him, puzzled. "Sir... what would be the purpose in arming weapons in this situation?"

"Alpha, it was a figure of speech. As in 'shoot the question at me'."

"I see. So, you would prefer I convert the question into a projectile form of some type?"

Ryan tries to hold back the smile on his face. "No, Alpha, I mean...," He trails off before letting out an exasperated sigh. "What was the question?"

"I have noticed that on 32 occasions you have read old Earth literature and on 31 occasions you have read it in a physical paperback form instead of in digital form. Would a PADD not be more efficient?"

"It's a habit I got from my grandfather. He'd always read from a book - he found it easier to read that way."

"Indeed?"

Alpha sits in wonder, before looking back at the console. "We are in tractor range."

Ryan taps a few controls on the console in front of him, opening a channel, "U.S.S. Victorious, this is Orwell, requesting landing clearance for Shuttlebay One."

A voice sounds over the comm, "Landing Clearance granted, Captain. Welcome back."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for posting. Here are some questions to consider. What is the take-away from this story supposed to be? Why should the reader be interested in these characters? Everyone knows that androids can be confused by "irrational" human behavior. Reading physical books because his grandfather read physical books is nice, but why does that make us want to read the next installment?
  • captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ooh... a Soong-type! So I'm guessing that either Data B-4 or Geordi LaForge have taken up the art of making androids at this time or before? Either way I'm intrigued!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard