test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #56 Discussion Thread

Comments

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    @jauhn82 - Please write more! There are 55 other topics to choose from :)

@sirboulevard - This was a great read. Using three TV Captains and even the magic number! Good stuff

@marcusdkane - That's a teaser into the other thread. ;) I was looking forward to something more substantive to the topic though.

@saihung423 - I had plenty of this face for this entry: :eek: .

@ironphoenix113 - That's a tough topic to give a lecture on in any century. I'm sure a LOT more could be said about it, but for the LC it was well done. Kathryn would agree and may make for an interesting conversation between Valot and Beringer at a coffe shop.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's a teaser into the other thread. ;)I was looking forward to something more substantive to the topic though.
    I'm hoping Ael will give me more for the second entry :cool:
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey, marcusdkane, I added Do'eth's "motivational speech." D'tan learns that you really, really shouldn't have a borderline-depressive mentally unstable Romulan who is suffering from obvious PTSD attempt to motivate people.

Also, she has a rough past. Romulan culture and emotionality does not mix well with traumatically losing a lover.
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Hey, marcusdkane, I added Do'eth's "motivational speech." D'tan learns that you really, really shouldn't have a borderline-depressive mentally unstable Romulan who is suffering from obvious PTSD attempt to motivate people.

Also, she has a rough past. Romulan culture and emotionality does not mix well with traumatically losing a lover.
    :D

To stick to the previous baseball analogy, this wasn't just a home run, this was out of the ballpark, I absolutely loved it :cool:

D'Tan really doesn't make too many smart moves, I just hope he never runs into Ael, I doubt she would have anything favourable to say to him :D
  • allen1973allen1973 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wrong feed, had to delete after copying to word. I still hate it when that happens and then I have to reedit after remembering my passwords, which could take some time. I read most of Woffan's, his first of three was the best. Of the other two his conceptualizations were well construed but otherwise deployed in too complicated a fashion. I've been working on drawing examples from stellar xeno-cultural miscegenation. I'm still not sure why in STO the Romulans who have defected from the Tal'Shiar would request alliances with Klingons or the Federation for that matter. It could be construed as good politics since both factions have claims within the Tau Dewa. On the other hand the Federation would seem to be a nuisance as far as regulatory policy, and the Klingons shouldn't really be trusted. I guess that's why its science fiction. Perhaps in the 25th or 26th Centuries that such alliances would seem universally logical, although you have me guessing. Qa'pla!
    edited January 2014

To stick to the previous baseball analogy, this wasn't just a home run, this was out of the ballpark, I absolutely loved it :cool:

D'Tan really doesn't make too many smart moves, I just hope he never runs into Ael, I doubt she would have anything favourable to say to him :D

Well, thank you! I think that this one did go particularly well.

D'tan needs a boyfriend. Somebody who can run the Republic day-to-day while D'tan makes inspiring speeches.

Kererek is busy handling military matters, and Obisek is busy being Obisek, so they really need someone to handle civilian logistics.

Maybe that epohh girl? We can hope that D'tan is bi, I suppose.
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    At long last, here is the story you've been waiting for: How ch'Raul Punched His Captain in the Face...and Got Away With It. Comments and suggestions are welcome. You can be brutally honest if necessary - that's what a good counselor would do.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some reading done:

@worffan101 - I was giggling throughout the first half until Riker to Troi: "I was bad Karma" pushed me over the edge. I laughed so hard I nearly died. I would've quit there if I were you. Your Romulan's POV, while fascinating, was a bit jarring after reading Nemisis3's speech.

@jonsills - Standing Ovation from the crowd.

@jauhn82 - great stuff. The way people react to tragedy is always a good topic.

@grylak - par for the course for you, which is to say, fantastic. :)

more reviews soonish...

[edit][shamelessplug]Also, for those of you who've been reading "Faces in the Flames" by gulberat, knightraider6, patrickngo, takeshi6 and myself - we're into Episode 6 now and we crave your feedback. :) [/shamelessplug][/edit]
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited January 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    @worffan101 - I was giggling throughout the first half until Riker to Troi: "I was bad Karma" pushed me over the edge. I laughed so hard I nearly died. I would've quit there if I were you. Your Romulan's POV, while fascinating, was a bit jarring after reading Nemisis3's speech.

Well, the two characters are VERY different. One is not so much insane as...thinks differently, and quite literally came from another universe, while the other is clinically depressed and has lived in the Trek universe her whole life.
    edited January 2014
    At long last, here is the story you've been waiting for: How ch'Raul Punched His Captain in the Face...and Got Away With It. Comments and suggestions are welcome. You can be brutally honest if necessary - that's what a good counselor would do.

Fantastic as always :cool: Not quite as funny as when ch'Raul was messing with Hillel before calling him out, but still an engrossing read :cool:
    edited January 2014
    Well, thank you! I think that this one did go particularly well.

D'tan needs a boyfriend. Somebody who can run the Republic day-to-day while D'tan makes inspiring speeches.

Kererek is busy handling military matters, and Obisek is busy being Obisek, so they really need someone to handle civilian logistics.

Maybe that epohh girl? We can hope that D'tan is bi, I suppose.

I think it would definitely have been a memorable speech :cool: And you know what they say, there's someone for everyone, so I guess that means D'Tan too :D
    edited January 2014
    I think it would definitely have been a memorable speech :cool: And you know what they say, there's someone for everyone, so I guess that means D'Tan too :D

Memorable. Yes. Very memorable. Probably not what D'tan intended, though.

And seriously, who would make a good boyfriend for D'tan? Because he trips my gaydar in a big way (not that that is in any way a bad thing; it's about time we had an officially TRIBBLE Trek character), and most of the eligible people on Mol'Rihan are..well, that epohh girl. And D'tan doesn't seem like a bi guy to me, although I could be wrong.
  • ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really liked it One section might need a polish... I felt that this piece was slightly contradictory, although the sentiment was still clear

Maybe modifying the phrases to 'have faith in' and 'should not blindly trust us' might flow better? I still can't think of anything for my second entry

Thanks! Probably the reason for the inconsistency there was I went back and shifted a few phrases around to add more detail. And I'm sure you'll think of something :cool:
    @ironphoenix113 - That's a tough topic to give a lecture on in any century. I'm sure a LOT more could be said about it, but for the LC it was well done. Kathryn would agree and may make for an interesting conversation between Valot and Beringer at a coffe shop.

Thanks! I'm sure she would find Bryan to be a rather interesting character :cool:

Anyway, I'll post some more reviews when I have time once I'm home from work today.
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
    edited January 2014
    Memorable. Yes. Very memorable. Probably not what D'tan intended, though.

Would be quite funny if one of the speakers was to turn up drunk and still deliver their speech Tony Stark-style :D

And seriously, who would make a good boyfriend for D'tan? Because he trips my gaydar in a big way (not that that is in any way a bad thing; it's about time we had an officially TRIBBLE Trek character), and most of the eligible people on Mol'Rihan are..well, that epohh girl. And D'tan doesn't seem like a bi guy to me, although I could be wrong.
    Totally agree. In the novels, it was said that Lieutenant Hawk was TRIBBLE, but that wasn't mentioned at all in First Contact (he's probably my favourite performance in the film, as he fit in so well with the original cast without looking like he was trying to upstage anyone) With my fanfic crew, Commander Mayer is TRIBBLE (although naming him for King of the Douchebags John Mayer, I originally thought that he was going to be the ship's resident Ladies Man, but that wasn't how the character developed :D )

As for D'Tan, I think he has someone, but he keeps it on the downlow :cool:
    edited January 2014
    Thanks! Probably the reason for the inconsistency there was I went back and shifted a few phrases around to add more detail.
    Ahh, I'm with you... I've done that a few times myself :D

And I'm sure you'll think of something :cool:
    Ael's not being cooperative... All she's showing me are coffee houses and a tourists view of San Francisco :confused:
    edited January 2014

Would be quite funny if one of the speakers was to turn up drunk and still deliver their speech Tony Stark-style :D

Yes, DEFINITELY. I should add one like that.
    Totally agree. In the novels, it was said that Lieutenant Hawk was TRIBBLE, but that wasn't mentioned at all in First Contact (he's probably my favourite performance in the film, as he fit in so well with the original cast without looking like he was trying to upstage anyone) With my fanfic crew, Commander Mayer is TRIBBLE (although naming him for King of the Douchebags John Mayer, I originally thought that he was going to be the ship's resident Ladies Man, but that wasn't how the character developed :D )

As for D'Tan, I think he has someone, but he keeps it on the downlow :cool:

Hawk? That's the redshirt helmsman who gets assimilated, right? Yeah, his death scene was the worst part of the movie.

D'tan probably has someone, but doesn't want to subject them to public attention, you're right.

Out of my characters, Three is pansexual and doesn't care what others think, and "Do'eth"/D'trel is TRIBBLE but fairly private about it. Daysnur, Do'eth's Lethean therapist, is in a committed relationship with a male Nausicaan. Don't ask.
    edited January 2014
    Yes, DEFINITELY. I should add one like that.
    I figure something like NuKirk's stint in the simulator, but with a glass of booze rather than an apple, maybe even slopping some over the front row :D

Hawk? That's the redshirt helmsman who gets assimilated, right? Yeah, his death scene was the worst part of the movie.
    That's the guy. If you watch his performance during the scene where they're in the airlock, it's absolutely spot on :cool:

D'tan probably has someone, but doesn't want to subject them to public attention, you're right.
    Political life brings its risks, so that seems the most plausible scenario :D

Out of my characters, Three is pansexual and doesn't care what others think, and "Do'eth"/D'trel is TRIBBLE but fairly private about it. Daysnur, Do'eth's Lethean therapist, is in a committed relationship with a male Nausicaan. Don't ask.
    The previous captain who got killed when the Iconian gateway on New Romulus was activated, was technically bi, preferred women, but only indulged herself when on leave by trawling Turkish Baths for strange :eek:
    edited January 2014
    I added a bit from Three's XO's perspective. Commander Azip Shran is drunk on Romulan ale and malfunctioning experimental drugs.

And is told to give a lecture while Barclay recovers from finding out about Star Trek.
    edited January 2014
    I added a bit from Three's XO's perspective. Commander Azip Shran is drunk on Romulan ale and malfunctioning experimental drugs.

And is told to give a lecture while Barclay recovers from finding out about Star Trek.

That was hilarious :cool: I've always wondered if Barclay was really a Starfleet officer, or just a pervert with the computer skills to fake a career profile and actually do the job :D
    edited January 2014
    Fantastic as always :cool: Not quite as funny as when ch'Raul was messing with Hillel before calling him out, but still an engrossing read :cool:

Thanks! I read your entry but need to go back through Echoes Upon Distant Shores to keep everyone straight in my head...I'm way too behind.

@ grylak - putting the Kobayashi Maru test on a real ship makes some sense. In my twisted universe, the fleet is too strapped for resources (hence the junkers are going to the front lines to be cannon fodder). But then again, my stories can be a bit fatalistic...

@ saihung423 - does this speech happen after the events of The Wrath of Khan? I'dbe interested to read more about the moment where he came to his senses and decided to keep his pants on more.
    edited January 2014
    Now, about relationships...many of you are doing a good job at showing diversity in terms of sexual orientation/identity/etc. I have been more focused on showing interpersonal struggles and the good and bad decisions that people make. So Captain Carter had an affair with his first officer T'Panna and then divorced his wife. Then Carter died and T'Panna showed interest in the counselor ch'Raul, who was trying to help her, not seduce her. The Hillel family was basically ripped apart by Yair's encounter with the Bajoran gods (or wormhole aliens) and his reaction to them. There's also the Jarvis/Carpenter romance, which is probably going to stay as an example of how good relationships should work. (I need to have some warm & fuzzy moments here and there, especially since I just introduced a <spoiler>dead lover in this LC entry</spoiler>).
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The darkfyre is not just the one test. Its a serious of events over the course of a week or two for final year cadets, like a uni field trip. In my mind, first year still do the Maru in the holodeck, but this is to help get them adjusted to actually being on a starship. And the Klingon war is over, its more like skirmishes. Borg and voth are the only things taxing the fleet, so resources are not too low.

As for TRIBBLE characters, I have emony, who is coming to terms with her sexuality when I get chance to write that. Need to write the final one night entry first though. I can confirm you have not seen the last of emony though. She seems to have become my favourite character in my roster.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited January 2014
    That was hilarious :cool: I've always wondered if Barclay was really a Starfleet officer, or just a pervert with the computer skills to fake a career profile and actually do the job :D

If he can do the job, does it matter if he *ahem* loves *ahem* computers and/or faked his credentials? I mean, Indy Ploys are a staple of Star Trek, right? ;)
    edited January 2014
    Thanks! I read your entry but need to go back through Echoes Upon Distant Shores to keep everyone straight in my head...I'm way too behind.
    I hope you'll enjoy the vignettes :) The connection between S'rR's and the Doctor goes back some time. I'm not sure if you saw the manuscript which covered it, but I decided to post it for people to enjoy, rather than run the publishing gauntlet :)

[Edit to add]
    A better clarification of events is in LC54 :)
    edited January 2014
    If he can do the job, does it matter if he *ahem* loves *ahem* computers and/or faked his credentials? I mean, Indy Ploys are a staple of Star Trek, right? ;)
    In the grand scheme of things, not really, I just never found it plausible for someone as dysfunctional as Barclay to make it through the academy, let alone become a serving officer :D
    edited January 2014
    In the grand scheme of things, not really, I just never found it plausible for someone as dysfunctional as Barclay to make it through the academy, let alone become a serving officer :D

Excellent point.

But Captain Kirk somehow made Admiral before he was demoted, and Janeway got kicked upstairs despite being a fairly average captain in a universe of Picards and Siskos. Starfleet isn't exactly consistent with hiring procedures.
    edited January 2014
    Excellent point.

But Captain Kirk somehow made Admiral before he was demoted, and Janeway got kicked upstairs despite being a fairly average captain in a universe of Picards and Siskos. Starfleet isn't exactly consistent with hiring procedures.

This is true... Janeway, for example, should never have been promoted above Commander -- she was outright unfit for command, and her time in the Delta Quadrent showed how easily she got out of her depth (although plot necessity then saved her skin and made her look good...) Captain Ransom, IMHO, was a far superior captain, and showed a willingness do to whatever it took to get his crew home. As for Kirk's promotion to admiral, he was the youngest starship commander, and (despite later reputation) was a highly competent, by the book officer. He would have hit all promotions on time, if not early, due to that excellence. Janeway, on the other hand, was made a Vice Admiral and then shoved behind a desk... She thought she was being promoted... But she was really being kept out of active service so she could inflict no more harm on the universe with her inconsistent and irrational command style ;)

I'm of the opinion that Barclay never served on any starship prior to the Enterprise-D, and his career biography and recommendations were just a forgery. Evaluations were kept mediocre so as to not arouse enough suspicion (either good or bad) to cause someone to actually contact the named officers for confirmation, and he just bluffed his way through the situation, being skilled enough to actually do the job (which does happen, even in the real world) andnhis later career was then judged by his performance as Geordi's minion, so probably no further background checks. Why Pete would even dream of introducing his sister-in-law to such a known whackjob is beyond me... :eek: I'd never introduce my sister-in-law to someone who I knew had mental health issues and an observed history of erratic behaviour :D
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014

God I hated Barclay. Why did he keep getting one episode centered around him every season since his inception? He was useless. Even Chief O'Brian had better qualifications than Barclay, and he just transported thing. All he did was slide a touch screen! He deserved episodes. Especially in the later seasons.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is true... Janeway, for example, should never have been promoted above Commander -- she was outright unfit for command, and her time in the Delta Quadrent showed how easily she got out of her depth...
    TRIBBLE, one of her very first command decisions in the Delta Quadrant showed us that.

"We can't use the Caretaker Array to go home - then the Kazon will be able to steal it and use it for whatever they want!"

Okay, Kathy, kid, let me show you something from the archives. It's called a 'delay timer'. What you do is you lay seven or eight photon torpedoes on the Array, like so many evil eggs, and you set a delay timer for, say, about ten or fifteen minutes. We use the Array, we go home, then when the Kazon think they're getting things under control, KABOOM!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2014
    God I hated Barclay. Why did he keep getting one episode centered around him every season since his inception? He was useless. Even Chief O'Brian had better qualifications than Barclay, and he just transported thing. All he did was slide a touch screen! He deserved episodes. Especially in the later seasons.
    I wouldn't say I hated Barclay, I just found him a character who never convinced me of his relevance :)