test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #54 Discussion Thread

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #54 : Beyond the Gateway
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #54 : Beyond the Gateway.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not the one I was expecting. I'll finish up the other story and post it in the last LC; this one will have to wait until I get a chance to play the Sphere, as video considerations have stopped me thus far.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What a coincidence. I was actually considering writing a large-ish story about my Federation, KDF and Romulan characters all fighting the Voth in the Dyson Sphere once I finished "The Accused." I might just so something for this LC instead/in addition to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Interesting.

I'll need to see if I can come up with anything for this one. :D :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I actually worked on my entry since hearing about what the LC might be on Priority One podcast. What you see is the result of a week's worth of research and editting. Do enjoy.

Also, the songs are...

"Sweet Song" from Xenosaga Episode II

"Burning Bridges" by the Mike Curb Congregation for the movie "Kelly's Heroes"
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm. I guess I should have taken a break from my break of from BLASTING BORG to actually go to the Sphere ... sadly, it will be a quick fly around. Hmm. Maybe I can craft something without actually playing the game. Hmm, indeed.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have an idea...
    edited November 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    I actually worked on my entry since hearing about what the LC might be on Priority One podcast. What you see is the result of a week's worth of research and editting. Do enjoy.

Also, the songs are...

"Sweet Song" from Xenosaga Episode II

"Burning Bridges" by the Mike Curb Congregation for the movie "Kelly's Heroes"

Loved the entry, raventomoe. :D

And I liked the name you gave your Obelisk Carrier, along with your new XO - going to start bringing in more Full Metal Panic Characters?

Also, have you started Lyrical Trek on Fanfiction.Net yet?
    76561198160276582.png
    edited November 2013
    A mod posted :eek:

Man, we should see more of you here!
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Loved the entry, raventomoe. :D

And I liked the name you gave your Obelisk Carrier, along with your new XO - going to start bringing in more Full Metal Panic Characters?

Also, have you started Lyrical Trek on Fanfiction.Net yet?

Actually, it will be started up here with a story thread so that I can further refine the story before it goes to FF.net for reading.

It was actually rather funny about that...the name got chosen from Folklore and Myth and I thought about the FMP ship. Teletha here is a shoutout though to that series and she is not an XO but Chief of Operations. Six of Nine is the new XO/First Officer of the ship.

^_^ But yeah, Chapter 3 is about halfway done so once I get through that, look for a story thread to pop up. (I am ADHD in real life so...X_X Yeah I have to work on focus. Plus, I am part of an elite group in STO...the Order of Persistence 18897741th Fleet now.)
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
    edited November 2013
    This was a challenging peice for me to write, but something which I suspected since the announcement of the previous LC. Given the fixed nature of the events, I have directly used the existing story as much as possible, and added my own work around it. Please enjoy.

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

S'rR's Kane - Amy Smart
    Amanda Palmer - Courteney Cox
    Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
    Claire - Lacey Chabert
    Frenek - Matthew Marsden
    Kererek - Eric Roberts
    Worf - Michael Dorn
    A'dranna - Natassia Malthe
    Maiek - Richard O'Brien
    Va'Kel Shon - Ed Harris
    Koren - Rutina Wesley
    I'K'rR'h - Miley Cyrus
    Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
    Jac Cheliss - Timothy Dalton
    edited November 2013
    This was a challenging peice for me to write, but something which I suspected since the announcement of the previous LC. Given the fixed nature of the events, I have directly used the existing story as much as possible, and added my own work around it. Please enjoy.

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

S'rR's Kane - Amy Smart
    Amanda Palmer - Courteney Cox
    Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
    Claire - Lacey Chabert
    Frenek - Matthew Marsden
    Kererek - Eric Roberts
    Worf - Michael Dorn
    A'dranna - Natassia Malthe
    Maiek - Richard O'Brien
    Va'Kel Shon - Ed Harris
    Koren - Rutina Wesley
    I'K'rR'h - Miley Cyrus
    Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
    Jac Cheliss - Timothy Dalton

Nice way of tying this into the actual mission. :)

Also... am I right in guessing that you killed off Captain Palmer? Definitely a shocking plot twist... what will happen to her in-game counterpart? That is, if you still play STO itself?
    76561198160276582.png
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What a coincidence. I was actually considering writing a large-ish story about my Federation, KDF and Romulan characters all fighting the Voth in the Dyson Sphere once I finished "The Accused." I might just so something for this LC instead/in addition to it.

GAAAHH!!! I had set this up with my last entry as i intended to do the same thing, in a similar fashion. Hopefully mine will not be too similar, otherwise i will be horribly disappointed in myself.
  • buck311buck311 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just got my entry in. Made it up on the fly, and posted it for fun.

Hope everyone enjoys! :D
    edited November 2013
    Nice way of tying this into the actual mission. :-)

Thanks, for an entry/challenge so centred around a very specific point in time, I felt that I had to simply use the mission story as the framework and write around it as best I could :)

Also... am I right in guessing that you killed off Captain Palmer? Definitely a shocking plot twist...
    Humans don't react well to tons of rock landing on them ;) I have to admit, I wasn't planning on doing it (but when the previous LC was revealed feared that anyone attending the event might wind up FUBAR) but then I saw the cut scenes, and as I was replaying the events in my minds eye to fit my characters in, that was what happened... RIP Amanda :(

what will happen to her in-game counterpart? That is, if you still play STO itself?
    Still? I still haven't got round to fixing my computer so that I can play it :D
    edited November 2013
    Thanks, for an entry/challenge so centred around a very specific point in time, I felt that I had to simply use the mission story as the framework and write around it as best I could.

Makes sense. :)
    Humans don't react well to tons of rock landing on them. I have to admit, I wasn't planning on doing it (but when the previous LC was revealed feared that anyone attending the event might wind up FUBAR) but then I saw the cut scenes, and as I was replaying the events in my minds eye to fit my characters in, that was what happened... RIP Amanda.

Again, makes sense. I too will be killing off a named character (not one of my actual characters, but one of their BOffs) in an upcoming story, though it will be in the 'Faces in the Flames' story I am working on with Patrick, Sander, Knightraider, and GulBerat. Just who is going to die? You'll just have to read and find out!! :cool:
    Still? I still haven't got round to fixing my computer so that I can play it.

Ouch. :( I hope you get it fixed soon, and that we get to meet your in-game characters in these LCs. :D
    76561198160276582.png
    edited November 2013
    Makes sense. :-)

Again, makes sense.
    Thanks, as before, it really wasn't planned, it just kind of worked out that way... The only thing with the LC's I've definitely planned, is my intention that Captain Atreides will always remain an unseen character for as long as possible :cool:

I was also working with the Babylon 5 premise that not even main characters are guaranteed to make it to the end credits. In this instance, it was a case of Amanda putting Ael and Siri out of harm's way (ish) so going down doing something noble, and Claire only being able to save the two people directly closest to her due to the maths of the situation...

I too will be killing off a named character (not one of my actual characters, but one of their BOffs) in an upcoming story, though it will be in the 'Faces in the Flames' story I am working on with Patrick, Sander, Knightraider, and GulBerat. Just who is going to die? You'll just have to read and find out!! :cool:
    Oooh, I'll look forward to seeing how things develop :cool:

Ouch. :-( I hope you get it fixed soon, and that we get to meet your in-game characters in these LCs. :-D
    Fingers crossed, and absolutely, it will be interesting to see what characters the game gives me (I'll probably have to create Ael using the Vulcan template, as I doubt there is the option to create a Federation Romulan :D )
  • ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Fingers crossed, and absolutely, it will be interesting to see what characters the game gives me (I'll probably have to create Ael using the Vulcan template, as I doubt there is the option to create a Federation Romulan :D )

Well, make sure to post here when you do! I'd be happy to invite you to my fleet in-game :D

About the Federation Romulan, technically speaking, no there is no option to create a Fed Romulan. However, if you use the "Alien" species (essentially a create-your-own-species style), Romulan detail options are present in the Character Creator, so it is not impossible ;)
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
    edited November 2013
    Well, make sure to post here when you do! I'd be happy to invite you to my fleet in-game :D
    Thanks, I certainly will, although chances are it will be a few months before I actually get round to getting the thing fixed... So many more important costs, and the iPad serves enough for online access that getting the PC fixed just isn't a high priority... I'm surprised there isn't some kind of STOlite for iPad etc with basic configurations or reduced quality graphics...

About the Federation Romulan, technically speaking, no there is no option to create a Fed Romulan. However, if you use the "Alien" species (essentially a create-your-own-species style), Romulan detail options are present in the Character Creator, so it is not impossible ;)
    Ahh... Excellent :cool:
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thought this would be the next one. I have nothing on this, but I have finished another story, One Night: Bosip's Defiance which will be posted later today.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited November 2013
    Marcus - when you start playing the game, killing off your Captain may start to become a challenge. That's two "mains" within a year :eek:
    edited November 2013
    Marcus - when you start playing the game, killing off your Captain may start to become a challenge. That's two "mains" within a year :eek:

*whistling* I can go "PREPARE ROR RAMMING SPEED!!!", right? ;)

Have to admit, Amanda's death was unplanned at the time of writing, but something which I suspected would have to happen as soon as the last LC was posted... Still, she went down fighting, not getting punked like Boba Fett :P Hope you liked the entry though... I'll be interested to see what changes in dynamic this may introduce, as Ael and Amanda are both very similar... Both tactically trained, both survivors of abuse, and both about as diplomatic as a brick through a window, so it'll be interesting to see what/how things change :cool:
    edited November 2013
    Welllll ... Amanda was the name of my ex, sooooo I'm okay with that :D
    edited November 2013
    Welllll ... Amanda was the name of my ex, sooooo I'm okay with that :D

Fair enough :D
  • ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ael and Amanda are both very similar... Both tactically trained, both survivors of abuse, and both about as diplomatic as a brick through a window, so it'll be interesting to see what/how things change :cool:

Sounds like Ael would get along quite nicely with Bryan :D
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
    edited November 2013
    Sounds like Ael would get along quite nicely with Bryan :D
    They're definitely cut from the same cloth :D I would say that she has a slightly more tempered style of command, however, her comments to a disturbed officer did lead to them offing themselves, so she's no saint :D

[Edit to add]
    Q wrote:
    "Well, after the Vanguard, he tried the Bedford, the Tiburon and the Endeavour. Each captain declined his transfer, but Commander t'Kazanak was particularly scathing after Captain Atreides' dismissal of Mister Cornish, although she clearly made an impression, as you can see."

Palmer looked down at one of the unbagged PADDs, and saw it showing an issue of Romulan Babes.
    edited November 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    Thought this would be the next one. I have nothing on this, but I have finished another story, One Night: Bosip's Defiance which will be posted later today.

Excellent piece :cool: I'm surprised Bosip didn't wake up in the brig for pulling that one :eek:
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks. I was tempted to write this one for that LC where someone was in the brig, but didn't have time to get it written. And there is still 16 days before the ship is ambushed by the Gorn, who knows what punishment Stunshock or Talaina will inflict on him in that space.

I hope my speech layout was better on this run, and it was easier to follow who was talking.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited November 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    Thanks. I was tempted to write this one for that LC where someone was in the brig, but didn't have time to get it written. And there is still 16 days before the ship is ambushed by the Gorn, who knows what punishment Stunshock or Talaina will inflict on him in that space.

I hope my speech layout was better on this run, and it was easier to follow who was talking.

The dialogue flowed really nicely, and I especially enjoyed where Stunshock slammed the desk and made Bosip stand to attention despite his wounds, that really underscored just how far he'd crossed the line :cool: To quote Joey Tribbianni: "The line is a dot to you!"
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Posted my entry Nightmare of Air and Darkness.

It's set a few days after the 'Sphere of Influence'.

As to the mention of anachronism's, it's more of a mention to the fact that only one character can be considered to have all these events occur around them, while alternate characters could be considered alternate timelines/ have similar series of events occur to them.

So iin this I play the fact that Gregs had all this happen to him, while the others where given small roles to play, but vital to me. Ex: Ace planting bombs since he is Romulan, and Berg going with Koren,a fellow klingon captain.

Hope it makes sense!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So... Slight Problem. My story that i'm working on, is a direct part two to the last entry, but it would be a pecursor to this entry. Should i place it in this challenge, then do a second (more appropriate) entry, or should i post it in the last thread and leave this challenge for the more accurate themed entry?