test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If Cardies are the next faction I think....

abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
that they should get a special race, an Pah-wraith infested Cardassian.

They would have glowy red/orange eyes and have a unique fire attack. They would also be able to wear Bajoran earrings and would also have the red Pah-wraith earring that Dukat wears.

I know lots of people want Changlings to be a unique race but that would lead to several difficulties unless they are unable to use traditional weapons and must rely on their tentacle attacks. Which would be freaking awesome but you know.....

So thoughts on the Pah-wraith infected Cardassian? Oh and lets try to avoid the "Keep dreaming it will never happen" comments, that's what everyone said about the Romulans and they still happened so :P

Oh Bajorans should also be a playable race for the Cardies, but they would be Pah-wraith worshipers and would not follow the prophets. Thus they would have a more aggressive species trait then the Fed Bajorans.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I hope they aren't, im really not fond of the cardies :/ re-watched so much DS9 now that the very mention of them makes me sick *blewurghhhhh* :)

i wouldn't mind a new episode series on them, but an entire new faction via expansion like the rommies? no thankyou :)

HOWEVER if they did do it, then pah wraith cardassians would be odd because cryptics likely they'd follow the new gov and not the true way/old alpha dominion lol

unless they decide *its time for something evil thats playable mwahahah*.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Unless they import some Gamma Quadrant species like the Vorta, I can't see what sort of support races they could have. They were a bit of a mono-culture and the KDF already absorbed all of the other Black Hat races to pad out their mono-culture too.

I suppose game canon allows for Ferengi and Bajorans. The few surviving Maquis were all in the Delta Quadrant and they all became Happy Starfleet.
    <3
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cardassians just don't work that well with the Romulan Republic model that future factions will follow. Cardassians are pretty much already part of the Federation or they will be in a few years. Introducing them as Federation with racial specific gear and missions would have players complaining for their own racial specific content. A Liberated Borg Faction is just easier to do with the Romulan Republic model.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Cardassians are pretty much already part of the Federation or they will be in a few years.
    Yet another Federation assimilation misguided supporter.

Cardassians do not fit being assimilated into Federation. Only part in the game when you are told how pro-Federation they are is coming from Federation officer in DS9 operations room. And may be as well Federation propaganda.

The same so-called "Federation friendly" species are sending to DS9 ambassador who's a douche and don't even pretend to feel sorry for former occupation of Bajor. Yet someone in Cardassian government had him appointed.

And somehow True Way has volunteers on Cardassia and even their agents in Cardassians military are suggested.

People should remember that Cardassia always had democratic government. There was no king, dictator or emperor on Cardassia. And somehow this government was appointing people like Dukat in charge. Or creating organisations like Obsidian Order.

Cardies are a great example how having democratic election and being more polite than archetypical "proud warrior race" not necessarily makes you good and likeable.

No matter how much Federation would love to assimilate mores species, Cardassians just don't fit there.

They don't fit with Klingon Empire as well. Romulans at least were Kligon allies in the past. Cardassians and Klingons were only enemies, and Klingons do think that Cardies are just treacherous.

Actually, they fit nowhere, except for their own faction. And can't be believably introduced in a Romulan-like way.

About the only way when Cardiassians would make any sense would be their own, mostly mono-species faction. It will not happend. Chances for having playable Cardassians are next to none.

But frankly, it's better than having them introduced like it was done with Romulans.
  • Options
    diva570diva570 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Nah, I want to be a founder or one that was like Odo that was sent out to space to explore. A friendly shape-shifter. I mean it should be like a lifetimer character only access like the liberated borg toons are. That would be cool. My fingers are crossed and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I just would love it more then a spoon head. lol.
  • Options
    mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can picture the Sona being with the Cardassians.

Although Cryptic would have to decide on what faction of the Cardassians we'd get. True Way or Detapa Council aligned Cardassians. I think it would be an interesting twist if we got True Way because if they went the way of the Detapa Council, id essentially be "reskin" of the current Romulan Republic. But if they went with the True way then we'd be playing the "bad guys".
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cardassians just don't work that well with the Romulan Republic model that future factions will follow. Cardassians are pretty much already part of the Federation or they will be in a few years. Introducing them as Federation with racial specific gear and missions would have players complaining for their own racial specific content. A Liberated Borg Faction is just easier to do with the Romulan Republic model.

You say that because you personally prefer the Borg. :P
    But it couldn't be further from the truth, a Cardassian faction based on the RR model would be a milion times easier to make than a Borg one, because of mechanincs and stuff that's already in game.
    It also easy to do Cardassians lorewise, very good models and ideas have been discussed to death in the Cardassian thread started by flash525 some time ago, so I don't want to repeat all that here.

Also, considering Cardassians being a Fed. race is rather shortighted and very Fed. centric, we're not talking about a planet here or a system here, we're talking about a very old and very proud race that has a vast empire that covers multiple sectors of space. Even if they decide to be more peacefull than they were before due to their regime, I highly doubt that they'll all be just excited to jump on the Fed. bandwagon. From what I've seen the last season of DS9 from Legate Damar, I think they'd prefer to stand alone even if they are friendly.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    You say that because you personally prefer the Borg. :P
    But it couldn't be further from the truth, a Cardassian faction based on the RR model would be a milion times easier to make than a Borg one, because of mechanincs and stuff that's already in game.
    It also easy to do Cardassians lorewise, very good models and ideas have been discussed to death in the Cardassian thread started by flash525 some time ago, so I don't want to repeat all that here.

Also, considering Cardassians being a Fed. race is rather shortighted and very Fed. centric, we're not talking about a planet here or a system here, we're talking about a very old and very proud race that has a vast empire that covers multiple sectors of space. Even if they decide to be more peacefull than they were before due to their regime, I highly doubt that they'll all be just excited to jump on the Fed. bandwagon. From what I've seen the last season of DS9 from Legate Damar, I think they'd prefer to stand alone even if they are friendly.

Liberated Borg fit the Romulan Republic model far better than Cardassians. It doesn't matter if I prefer the Borg or not. A Liberated Borg faction would be a new government which is the same as the Romulan Republic and have to form new alliances like the Romulan Republic. The Cardassians are already established and the Federation has been "helping" them for decades. There is only a minimal Klingon presence for Cardassians. So either way, as Cardassians are now, they just don't fit the Romulan Republic model. Also there is the issue that they are the officially recognized government so there is absolutely nothing similar to them and the Romulan Republic.

There are too many parallels between the Romulan Republic and Liberated Borg. There are in danger of being attacked by the Collective, need to protect themselves by creating alliances with others, need to find a planet of their own.

Some Cardassians might align with the Federation due to the Federation's good will, but there has been no established reason why a Cardassian should align with the Klingon Empire. This is the most important part of the Romulan Republic model. Therefore, the only way it seems it would work is the establishment of the Cardassians as a Federation ally and some other race as a Klingon Empire ally.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    A Liberated Borg faction would be a new government which is the same as the Romulan Republic and have to form new alliances like the Romulan Republic.
    A Liberated Borg is no faction. Once you are liberated you are going back to your old faction, flying their ships and using their weapons.

There is no Liberated Borg faction.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To be honest I'm not sure sure as to the likelyhood we'll get another faction. It felt like Cryptic was almost in a panic post LOR release as they attempted to claw back money. I get the feeling the Romulans weren't as popular as first hoped (probably not helped by people allying with the KDF, only to find the faction is pretty dead.)

If we were to get a new faction it would probably be the Cardassians. Nearly all the Dominion ships are already available in lockboxes/Lobi, so I can't see them being made playable.

Personally I'd hope for a whole new mini-faction, with original ships and such.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I seriously doubt that cardies will be a playable faction, they were really only in one series (apart from cameo appearances) and their most iconic ship is a rare lockbox luxury item, that leaves the Hideki.

As a matter of fact, I doubt there will ever be a new playable faction.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Liberated Borg fit the Romulan Republic model far better than Cardassians. It doesn't matter if I prefer the Borg or not. A Liberated Borg faction would be a new government which is the same as the Romulan Republic and have to form new alliances like the Romulan Republic. The Cardassians are already established and the Federation has been "helping" them for decades. There is only a minimal Klingon presence for Cardassians. So either way, as Cardassians are now, they just don't fit the Romulan Republic model. Also there is the issue that they are the officially recognized government so there is absolutely nothing similar to them and the Romulan Republic.

There are too many parallels between the Romulan Republic and Liberated Borg. There are in danger of being attacked by the Collective, need to protect themselves by creating alliances with others, need to find a planet of their own.

Some Cardassians might align with the Federation due to the Federation's good will, but there has been no established reason why a Cardassian should align with the Klingon Empire. This is the most important part of the Romulan Republic model. Therefore, the only way it seems it would work is the establishment of the Cardassians as a Federation ally and some other race as a Klingon Empire ally.

Okay, you want me to repeat the stuff said in that other thread. Fine. Attention - Wall of text!
    First this:
    A Liberated Borg is no faction. Once you are liberated you are going back to your old faction, flying their ships and using their weapons.

There is no Liberated Borg faction.

Now, why would Cardassians fit the RR republic model - note the word model ,as in something that works in a similar way, but it's not exaclty the same.

The Federation in STO is at war with everyone and everything. Since a week ago, they just waltzed into the Delta Quadrant and declared yet another war against the Voth. Now these fellas are suposed to guard Cardassian space, right? Have you seen the size of Cardassian space? It's almost half of the Federation space if not more.

Post DW the Federation decided to take the lead and basically save what's left of the Cardassians by forcing their view on their Klingon and Romulan allies that Starfleet should be the one responsible for monitoring Cardassian space and that the Federation will take the burden of watching over the Union. Because they are the good guys, it's what Feds do. They knew that if they left the Cardassians to the Klingons or RSE to handle there would probably be vengeance and attempts to annex them.

Now follow me - because in STO the Feds are at war with almost everyone, they can no longer guarantee the safety of the vast Cardassian space. Simply put, they need their forces to cover their behinds or for the invasion of the Dyson Sphere. Also meanwhile, the Cardassian government led by Natima Lang has proven to be a friend and ally to the Federation, they even sent supplies to the Romulans while their world was still in ashes. So the Federation decided that it's safe to let the Union start rebuilding their military to protect their space, because Starfleet can no longer do it.
    So the Cardassians start to slowly pull it back together on their own. The True Way sees this gap of Starfleet protection and significant number of Cardassian ships and decide to try and exploit the moment. This is also where the Klingons come to the stage. The Detapa Council is vulnerable and experiences advancing strikes by the True Way. It's clear they would want to play D'Tan's card and try to obtain a neutral position between the Feds and the KDF, just like the RR because they are not able to risk another Klingon invasion like in DS9. That's the RR aproach I was talking about - if you want to look at it from an objective POV, there was also no established reason why a Romulan should allign with the KDF, evenmore a Romulan belonging to a faction that is led by a reunificacionist. Yet it happened. Someone just needs to write the story and tell the tale why. And with the situation the Cardassians are in, it's very easy to make a story as to why they'd want to be friendly to the KDF as well. After all, the Klingons were a part of the DS9 alliance that won, as much as the Feds.

Why would Cardassians work better than Borg and be easier to do in the current model:

- The Cardassians are a part of the big 4, the 4 large factions covering vast teritories in the Star Trek traditional space sort of speak - Alpha & Beta Quadrants. No other faction's teritory comes even close to those 4.
    - There are already 3 Cardassian sectors in STO, so a big part of the job is done.
    - You won't TRIBBLE off LTS members.
    - You won't make a Cyborg mini-faction joke out of one of Star Trek's most feared advesaries.
    - There has been no Cardassian technology giveaway unlike the Borg one, that sets the stage perfectly for a Cardie Rep. of sorts. It could even have an unlock of playable Alpha Jem'Hadar at the end similar to the Remans, because the Alpha Jem work for the True Way and when you finish the rep. and basicall finish the True Way, the Cardie government could hire those mercenaries for their protection while the fleet is being rebuilt. Unlike this, the Borg technology giveaway is done.
    - Cardassian ships are on pair with their Fed, KDF and Romulan counterparts as portrayed in canon, unlike the Borg ones that would either be OP or totally watered down for gameplay.
    - There are no STFs or end game content based on fighting the Cardassians.
    - There are no Cardassian Boffs availible yet, unlike Borg Boffs that are everywhere. Doesn't that tell you something, perhaps they're saving them for something?
    - The devs. have stated that releasing the Galor in a lockbox is amongst the biggest mistakes they ever made in STO. Why would they regret it?
    - In one of the 'Ask Cryptic' editions from the beginning of this year, dStahl was asked by a player about making the Romulan authenitc forehead ridges and Cardassian authentic hairstyles and neck ridges availible to the alien generator. The answer basically was "We have no plan of currently making them availible because we're considering them as an unique option when these species become playable in the future". LoR was not announced yet back then. Few months later - bam! A Romulan faction.

And at the end I'll also say - plausibility. Which has a bigger chance of becoming a faction that is major player - an empire with vast teritories and reformed government that has been rebuilding for the past 40 years or a small ofshot group of rebels, and Borg of all species that are portrayed to be quite confused and disconected when their link to the collective is severed?
    Most of all, I mind watering down the Borg which were a big and much feared baddie in Star Trek into mere Cyborgs that want to smoke the peace pipe with D'Tan. I'd be in support of a true Borg faction, standalone and separated from the mini-faction nonesence even if I don't intend to ever play it. You know, Borg like Borg should be - menacing, feared, with big bad ships, with their own game mechanics of assimilating and similar stuff, with their own agenda and against everyone else in STO.
    Borg liberated mini-faction on the other hand is just....meh.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing a playable Cardassian Faction before a Borg one. Get Garak to VO for it and include playable Jem'hadar, Vorta, and Bajorans (who have forgiven the Cardassians for all that they were put through by them) as possible BOff/Player Species options.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mailman650 wrote: »
    I can picture the Sona being with the Cardassians.

Although Cryptic would have to decide on what faction of the Cardassians we'd get. True Way or Detapa Council aligned Cardassians. I think it would be an interesting twist if we got True Way because if they went the way of the Detapa Council, id essentially be "reskin" of the current Romulan Republic. But if they went with the True way then we'd be playing the "bad guys".

i doubt it, the son'a are an extremist group, little more then terrorists that want to commit genocide if it could be helped. the new cardassian council are the opposite side of that coin. however they would make ideal allies for the True way.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pulserazor wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that cardies will be a playable faction, they were really only in one series (apart from cameo appearances) and their most iconic ship is a rare lockbox luxury item, that leaves the Hideki.

As a matter of fact, I doubt there will ever be a new playable faction.

This has been mentioned before in regards to the Galor. I would imagine a Cardie faction would have a T1 Galor to start that is underpowered compared to the Lockbox ship and there would be a T5 version that is slightly more powerful. Maybe with a special console that would make it desireable. As a lockbox Galor owner this wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Plus, they probably would offer a few 'updated" versions of the Galor. Add in the Hideki and some newly created ships as well ands access to FED and KDF ships ( depending on which side you align with)I think that a faction is doable.
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I see no reason to add a fourth faction. I'd rather see game changing expansions over adding another faction to muddle through the same old game play.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Wall of Text

As far as it not making sense for Liberated Borg not having their own faction, not every species will accept them back or entire worlds are assimilated so there is no homeworld to go back to just former Borg. So a Liberated Borg faction can exist.

If Cryptic made the Romulans into the Romulan Republic, then Cardassians will have to make a choice to ally with Feds or Klingons. Every future faction will have to have a choice to ally with the Federation or Klingons or be forced into allying with one of them. It doesn't matter if it makes more sense for the Romulans or Cardassians to be their separate faction. Cryptic has decided they want to do only mini-factions and not add an actual third faction. If Romulans weren't made into their own faction, then Cardassians won't be made into one either.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Post DW the Federation decided to take the lead and basically save what's left of the Cardassians by forcing their view on their Klingon and Romulan allies that Starfleet should be the one responsible for monitoring Cardassian space and that the Federation will take the burden of watching over the Union. Because they are the good guys, it's what Feds do. They knew that if they left the Cardassians to the Klingons or RSE to handle there would probably be vengeance and attempts to annex them.

Now follow me - because in STO the Feds are at war with almost everyone, they can no longer guarantee the safety of the vast Cardassian space. Simply put, they need their forces to cover their behinds or for the invasion of the Dyson Sphere. Also meanwhile, the Cardassian government led by Natima Lang has proven to be a friend and ally to the Federation, they even sent supplies to the Romulans while their world was still in ashes. So the Federation decided that it's safe to let the Union start rebuilding their military to protect their space, because Starfleet can no longer do it.
    So the Cardassians start to slowly pull it back together on their own. The True Way sees this gap of Starfleet protection and significant number of Cardassian ships and decide to try and exploit the moment. This is also where the Klingons come to the stage. The Detapa Council is vulnerable and experiences advancing strikes by the True Way. It's clear they would want to play D'Tan's card and try to obtain a neutral position between the Feds and the KDF, just like the RR because they are not able to risk another Klingon invasion like in DS9. That's the RR aproach I was talking about - if you want to look at it from an objective POV, there was also no established reason why a Romulan should allign with the KDF, evenmore a Romulan belonging to a faction that is led by a reunificacionist. Yet it happened. Someone just needs to write the story and tell the tale why. And with the situation the Cardassians are in, it's very easy to make a story as to why they'd want to be friendly to the KDF as well. After all, the Klingons were a part of the DS9 alliance that won, as much as the Feds.

That actualy is a plausible way of introducing Cardassians as a Romulan-like faction.
    nefarius2 wrote: »
    This has been mentioned before in regards to the Galor. I would imagine a Cardie faction would have a T1 Galor to start that is underpowered compared to the Lockbox ship and there would be a T5 version that is slightly more powerful. Maybe with a special console that would make it desireable. As a lockbox Galor owner this wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Plus, they probably would offer a few 'updated" versions of the Galor. Add in the Hideki and some newly created ships as well ands access to FED and KDF ships ( depending on which side you align with)I think that a faction is doable.

Considering that in shows Galor ships and Cardassian tech were supposed to be slightly below Federation standards, it sounds reasonable. Cardassian Defence Force characters would use non-refitted stock ships, while lockbox ships would represent latest refits with better technology put inside.

As far as it not making sense for Liberated Borg not having their own faction, not every species will accept them back or entire worlds are assimilated so there is no homeworld to go back to just former Borg. So a Liberated Borg faction can exist.

I never saw any problems with Picard or Seven having any problems with being accepted back into mankind, in shows.

More, it's hardly believable that any galactic power would accept existence of any separatist mini-collective flying their Borg ships, being accepted in every sector and still having mostly Borg-like way of thinking and being only one step from being connected to the Collective again.

Considering that "liberating" drones is nothing else than kidnapping them and forcefully severing from the Collective, such mini-faction would be probably treated in the same way, forcefully dismantled and liberated, or destroyed if they tried fighting back.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Kazon faction

/thread
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've wanted a Cardassian faction just like I wanted a Romulan faction, but seeing what happened to the Romulans I almost don't want a Cardassian faction anymore, if all they'll be is Federation/Klingon empire lapdog like my Rommies have become. at least let there be the illusion that the cardassians are their own faction still, and not absorbed for some random plot device.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Actually quite the opposite in a lot of ways, the fit in almost perfectly.

They're weak in their current state, they will need assistance to be able to prevail in the future, they're hounded by a faction of their old people who want to return to their old ways, and both are making stride to change their ways for the better.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If Cryptic made the Romulans into the Romulan Republic, then Cardassians will have to make a choice to ally with Feds or Klingons. Every future faction will have to have a choice to ally with the Federation or Klingons or be forced into allying with one of them. It doesn't matter if it makes more sense for the Romulans or Cardassians to be their separate faction. Cryptic has decided they want to do only mini-factions and not add an actual third faction. If Romulans weren't made into their own faction, then Cardassians won't be made into one either.

Uhm.....what in my post made you think that I'm unaware of this? :confused:
    Everything I said was in the mindset of any future faction being an allied mini-faction.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I never saw any problems with Picard or Seven having any problems with being accepted back into mankind, in shows.

More, it's hardly believable that any galactic power would accept existence of any separatist mini-collective flying their Borg ships, being accepted in every sector and still having mostly Borg-like way of thinking and being only one step from being connected to the Collective again.

Considering that "liberating" drones is nothing else than kidnapping them and forcefully severing from the Collective, such mini-faction would be probably treated in the same way, forcefully dismantled and liberated, or destroyed if they tried fighting back.

Wouldn't be a concern for any of the available Liberated Borg, but just because Humans, Klingons, and Romulans don't have problems with accepting Liberated Borg doesn't mean that other alien races won't either. A race about keeping themselves pure (no genetic enhancements, no impants, etc.) would have problems accepting former Borg back. There are also reasons why a Liberated Borg Human/Klingon/Romulan would not come back to their home like being ashamed of what they have done. It is sometimes easier to be around people that have undergone the same horrors that you have gone through rather than living with people that don't understand. In the Delta Quadrant, there are tons of worlds that have been completely assimilated and if they are freed, then they would form a Liberated Borg Faction.

As far as a Cardassian faction goes, I see it as a Dominion/Cardassian faction. The Cardassians are tired of the ineffectual Federation meddling with their affairs and not protecting them from the True Way and the Dominion wants to make amends with the Cardassians for destroying their world, reunite with the Alpha Quadrant Founders, and control who enters the Gamma Quadrant through the wormhole so they form an alliance with the Cardassians with a few conditions. So the Dominion are trying to strengthen the Cardassians instead of make the Cardassians into another race of the Federation.

This new alliance doesn't want to antagonize the Klingon Empire and Federation so they initiate an Officer Exchange Program which is where our playable captains can chose to become a Klingon Empire ally or a Federation ally. Obviously trying to conquer the Federation and Klingons failed, so they are trying a more subtle approach to make the Federation and Klingon Empire into allies. This faction could also see Odo return to the Alpha Quadrant. The playable race options would be Cardassian, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and maybe a few other races. For the lifetime subscription race, it could be Liberated Borg Cardassians or Founders. A lifetime subscription race doesn't have to be Liberated Borg for new mini-factions.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Uhm.....what in my post made you think that I'm unaware of this? :confused:
    Everything I said was in the mindset of any future faction being an allied mini-faction.

The Klingon connection is too convoluted. Why would the Klingons actually bother with allying with the Cardassians when there is no previous diplomatic connection? The True Way is basically destroyed by the time we get to Rear Admiral so they are not really a concern for the Cardassian to become a neutral party. There is also no impressive technologies that the Klingons want from them. At least the Romulans had Singularity Warp Cores and improved cloaking devices. With the leadership of the True Way destroyed, the Cardassians are not being seriously threatened by the True Way. At least with a Dominion/Cardassian faction, the Klingons and Federation want something the Dominion has.
  • Options
    mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    I've wanted a Cardassian faction just like I wanted a Romulan faction, but seeing what happened to the Romulans I almost don't want a Cardassian faction anymore, if all they'll be is Federation/Klingon empire lapdog like my Rommies have become. at least let there be the illusion that the cardassians are their own faction still, and not absorbed for some random plot device.

^^^^^ This.
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is no hope of a Liberated Faction forming anywhere near the current playing area, everyone there is at war with the Borg, why would they risk it being a more developed/subtle Locutus like plot from the Collective

Libereated in society are easier to tell from drones, a planet of Borg is a planet of Borg

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Did you watch the pilot of DS9?
    PICARD. Have we met before?
    SISKO. Yes, sir. We met in battle. I was on the Saratoga at Wolf 359.

And of course there was Starfleet sending Picard into the Neutral Zone because they didn't trust him not to turn on them in First Contact.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    As far as a Cardassian faction goes, I see it as a Dominion/Cardassian faction. The Cardassians are tired of the ineffectual Federation meddling with their affairs and not protecting them from the True Way and the Dominion wants to make amends with the Cardassians for destroying their world, reunite with the Alpha Quadrant Founders, and control who enters the Gamma Quadrant through the wormhole so they form an alliance with the Cardassians with a few conditions. So the Dominion are trying to strengthen the Cardassians instead of make the Cardassians into another race of the Federation.

I respectfully disagree. Completely. Because this makes no sense.

The Cardassians tired of innefectual Federation meddling? Yeah, they'd be better off if they fell under Klingon jurisdiction having Martok drink bloodwine over their dead bodies. The Federation insisting to be the one guarding and monitoring Cardassian space is the only reason the Cardassian Union still exists. If they were left to the KDF, they'd be annexed by now. Klingons conquer, not babysit. And the RSE? The RSE installed a secret base on a moon orbiting Bajor in front of Federation eyes and were like 'so what?'. lol :D I'm sure they'd take good care of the Cardassians, especially after blowing up their own homeworld.
    Natima Lang is the leader of the Detapa Council, her life was saved by Starfleet Officers. Elim Garak even served with the DS9 crew during the war. Those are the new leaders of Cardassia. They are not "tired" of the Federation, they know the Feds. saved their TRIBBLE.

The Dominion wants to make ammends?? lol :D Suuure. The Dominion hates Cardassians like no other. They despise them to the bone. The Cardassians broke their image of superiority when they costed them the Dominion War. Without the Cardassians rebeling their alliance would have won the war. The Cardassian fleet swapping sides in the middle of the battle was the push that tipped the war in the Fed/Rom/KDF alliance favor.
    Also the Cardassians were together with the Romulans when they attempted to exterminate the Founders on their own homeworld. Remember what the Founder told Garak? Cardassia will be burned down to ashes and every Cardassian will be exterminated. They will erase any trace their culture ever existed. Garak knew this, that's why he was against his own people in the war. Garak still knows this. And the Founders live very very long lives.

And the Cardassians accepting the Dominion again? Yeah right. :rolleyes: They just treated them as attack dogs with no respect, gave them no sovereignity, swapped their leaders as socks, sacrifised their soldiers and ships first, aproached the Breen and treated them as partners while publicaly belliteling the Cardassians, sworn to exterminate the Cardassian species......oh and yes, they leveled their homeworld.
    Why wouldn't every living Cardassian wellcome them back with open arms? :rolleyes:

And control the wormhole??? You realize what was the Dominion War all about, right? You really think that the Federation would ever allow the Dominion to control the Bajoran wormhole?? The biggest frickin' war in Federation history was about the Bajoran wormhole, they lost milions of Starfleet Officers for that. Heck, Sisko even sacrificed Earth in order to take control of the wormhole, how did he put it...ah - "Earth is not the key to the Alpha Quadrant, the Bajoran wormhole is".

I don't mean to be disrespectfull, but it's like you didn't pay any attention to DS9 at all.
    This new alliance doesn't want to antagonize the Klingon Empire and Federation so they initiate an Officer Exchange Program which is where our playable captains can chose to become a Klingon Empire ally or a Federation ally. Obviously trying to conquer the Federation and Klingons failed, so they are trying a more subtle approach to make the Federation and Klingon Empire into allies. This faction could also see Odo return to the Alpha Quadrant. The playable race options would be Cardassian, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and maybe a few other races. For the lifetime subscription race, it could be Liberated Borg Cardassians or Founders. A lifetime subscription race doesn't have to be Liberated Borg for new mini-factions.

And now I'm pretty sure you're talking about something that will never happen. There will never be a Dominion faction in STO, unless Cryptic decides to make full factions. And even then it's questionable because they gave away 3 of their ships, their unique consoles and their ground and space sets.
    And the Dominion is a powerhouse. They would have crushed the Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan Star Empire combined with only a small fraction of their forces built in limited facilities if it werent for the Cardassians. They're that good. Making them a mini faction that needs to join Feds or KDF is even a bigger joke that making the Borg do so.
    The Klingon connection is too convoluted. Why would the Klingons actually bother with allying with the Cardassians when there is no previous diplomatic connection? The True Way is basically destroyed by the time we get to Rear Admiral so they are not really a concern for the Cardassian to become a neutral party. There is also no impressive technologies that the Klingons want from them. At least the Romulans had Singularity Warp Cores and improved cloaking devices. With the leadership of the True Way destroyed, the Cardassians are not being seriously threatened by the True Way. At least with a Dominion/Cardassian faction, the Klingons and Federation want something the Dominion has.

Why would the Klingons bother? How about to prevent another Star Empire with teritories as large as their own entering the war on the Federation side and against them.
    Klingons despise Romulans, why do you think they agreed to be friends with the RR? The Cardassian-Klingon connection is no more convulted than the Romulan-Klingon connection was. Klingons hate Cardassians, but Klingons also hate Romulans with passion. If the model worked for Romulans, it works for Cardassians as well.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    And of course there was Starfleet sending Picard into the Neutral Zone because they didn't trust him not to turn on them in First Contact.

That's pretty justified caution, regarding all military matter. Trust no one.

That's not even near to everyone barking at former Borgs or persecuting them.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Unless they import some Gamma Quadrant species like the Vorta, I can't see what sort of support races they could have.

I know it's a daunting task, but ... Let's make a list of all the races you can choose from when you make a character on the Romulan faction.

Ready. Set. Go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]