test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Avenger Art Appreciation

mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I'd like to take a moment and give my compliments to the artist(s) responsible for the Avenger. While the lines of the Avenger aren't to everyone's taste, you can't argue that the Avenger model is one of the most finely detailed in game. The phaser arrays are clean and identifiable, the underside turret hard-points truly look like the multipurpose emitter they are, and the addition of the ablative armor animation is amazing. My favorite bit is the segmented deflector; when entering Red Alert, the vessel's ablative armor protects the outer sections, leaving just the center section exposed.

I hope that the Avenger's model is merely the beginning of a new level of detail to be put into the in-game ship models.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It looks best with the fleet material, IMO, since that makes the cannon tips blue instead of red. And looks good in general.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Avengers.jpg
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Come on, tell me this isn't hot. Their publicity pics didn't do it any justice.

pHgd54k.jpg

SZf4CIH.jpg

The armor covering up the windows and field grilles is a great little detail, btw.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Come on, tell me this isn't hot. Their publicity pics didn't do it any justice.

pHgd54k.jpg

SZf4CIH.jpg

The armor covering up the windows and field grilles is a great little detail, btw.
    Looks good to me. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You know, seeing that picture makes me want to name one the USS Corsair after the A-7, as a fellow SLUF.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't mind if this replaced the Typhoon Class Battleship NPCs. Those things are fugly.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't mind if this replaced the Typhoon Class Battleship NPCs. Those things are fugly.

I'd still like to see the Typhoon as a playable Dreadnought Carrier. Since they'd obviously have to scrap and replace the model, a huge ship styled similarly to this would would be very appropriate.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    this thing looks like a lego set. Typhoon class please.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    still looks ugly as hell to me
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    this thing looks like a lego set. Typhoon class please.

So true, I can imagine the design process.

Crytic Studios: we need a new ship design

30 minutes and a trip to the toy store, lego built design after many days of hard building :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      truemalevolencetruemalevolence Member Posts: 44 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I really like the design too. I only have two gripes with it: Too small, and the nacelles needed to be higher up, from the front the nacelles are behind the saucer.

Would also be nice to get the dark hull and windows available as maybe a c-store unlock on other ships. A galaxy and star cruiser would look great.
    • Options
      veritech05veritech05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Here is mine:

1377261_537553876328236_1844539553_n.jpg

I think it looks hot as hell. That is with the Borg Assimilated Set.
    • Options
      astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Avengers.jpg

You Forgot the Hulk! :P

*Picard and the Avengers facepalm*
      [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
      [/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I think it would look much better if it had a more wide saucer. This would relocate the visual center of mass from the already bulky engineering hull/neck towards the saucer.
      At least it would be a nice alternative, which would help the ship not look so tiny anymore IMO.
      "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
      (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    • Options
      cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I'm confident after seeing Voth and LoR concept art that the ship team has skill, but whoever is in charge of picking the final concept piece for modeling is blind as a bat.
      The last fed ship I liked the overall design of was the Regent, before that probably the thunderchild class. I could count the number of Cryptic original fed designs I like on two hands.

I should give credit where it's due though. The nook shelter area on top of engineering hull looks cool and has a nice little tribute to TMP era design just like its superior sister the regent. The thin slit of blue lighting under the main glow is pretty cool too and every nacelle should have some sweet fins like the Avenger. The top of the saucer is probably the best area on the whole ship, the plating, phasers and colored areas all flow really well together. The dual deflectors look great and functional too. (considering deflectors have line of sight abilities in game and in canon too)

The main deflector is kind of cool but it just doesn't flow with the ship at all. You can tell that the dreadnaught class was really shoving its way into this design there, and that's probably the biggest problem with the ship over all. It's just screaming "look at all these layers" in exactly the same place the vengence did in JJ2. As much as I will love using this sort of reference work in my Connie tirades I still wish the JJ element was left out of the game because those ships are hideous from almost every angle. Blunt nacelles and a stubby hull are the two other criminal inspirations you can easily see.

The one thing the JJ Vengeance had going for it was the hard bend in the pylons. Unfortunately that went missing from the cryptic Avenger because they were probably getting close to lawsuit territory. Despite being bent, the Vengence pylons were stubby which made sure even some good ideas couldn't stop the ship from looking like junk. The Avenger pylons at least captured the spirit of the vengence pylons and look terrible too. Forward swept pylons are a crime only the Galaxy family really got away with. You can tell me that they work well with the over all motiff of a combat ship, but that just opens up another can of worms.

The Defiant, Steamrunner, and Galaxy class ships were all somewhat stubbly or compact. According to the designers the defiant and Steamrunner class ships both had primary roles in combat just like the Avenger. These designs looked great despite simplicity or bluntness because they were consistent and purpose built. The Defiant was a diamond from the top view which was fitting and balanced. The Defiant and Akira bridges both have enclaves protecting them from the sides, only the tipy top of the steamrunner bridge goes above its enclave. The Avenger tries to give its bridge module an enclave, but only partially succeeds in a manner that is purely speculative. The dual deflectors could have some protective purpose but their defensive qualities are only confirmed for being used in debris protection. In the game a deflector can heal things but what good is a repaired bridge after the crew has been vaporized? Putting the dual neck on the ship was another functional flaw, as far as we have been told dual necks were for slip stream travel enhancement. Exposing so much of the forward weaponrys components didn't make any sense either when that stuff is usually housed internally. jamming weapon power through the pylons and nacelles isn't lending itself to the idea of a tough combat ship either, on one pair of pylons they're throwing impulse power into the mix too.

The bulbous Avenger bridge area contrasts both the combatitive nature of the vessel and it's stubby angular hull qualities. It flows with the saucer well, but the saucer doesn't flow with anything else. The Galaxy was a successful design ideologically because it's spaghetti plate saucer clashed against forward movement and into the squishy remains of the design. The Intrepid class is probably the closest thing thing to what the Avenger tries to accomplish, it's got short nacelles, a stubby body and a long saucer. But on the Intrepid class everything is smooth, there is no neck, and the nacelles barely escape the ships silhouette.
    • Options
      adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    • Options
      edited October 2013
      adverbero wrote: »

When they released the vet ship they gave the contest entry participant credit for the design.

They didn't do that for this ship and they stole the name of another ship to make it sound similar to the vengence.
    • Options
      edited October 2013
      They may not have credited it, but can you deny it shares a similar tapered hull profile, and engineering front hull angle, neck shape and nacelle configuration?

So remarkably similar when viewed side by side that it seems a might bit more than coincidence, they certainly look more alike than the Avenger does to the Vengance, which had a Ring saucer and completely different Profile
      http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130526085618/startrek/images/thumb/a/ab/Uss_vengenace.jpg/275px-Uss_vengenace.jpg

I mean the styling is similar weapon ports, armour that deploys over vunarable areas is very similar, but the profile and shape are just not the same, Vengence is thinner, much more spread out, where avenger is squat and bulky

The Vengence has much taller and wider pylons, with no tapering along the back of the neck to the stern like the Avenger, instead a sharp angle change

Also where the contest entry and the Avenger model share egg shaped saucers sitting ontop of a neck which melds smoothly into the secondary hull, the Vengence has a Circular saucer attached by a clearly defined neck more akin to a constitution vessel

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    • Options
      edited October 2013
      adverbero wrote: »
      They may not have credited it, but can you deny it shares a similar tapered hull profile, and engineering front hull angle, neck shape and nacelle configuration?

So remarkably similar when viewed side by side that it seems a might bit more than coincidence, they certainly look more alike than the Avenger does to the Vengance, which had a Ring saucer and completely different Profile
      http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130526085618/startrek/images/thumb/a/ab/Uss_vengenace.jpg/275px-Uss_vengenace.jpg

I mean the styling is similar weapon ports, armour that deploys over vunarable areas is very similar, but the profile and shape are just not the same, Vengence is thinner, much more spread out, where avenger is squat and bulky

The Vengence has much taller and wider pylons, with no tapering along the back of the neck to the stern like the Avenger, instead a sharp angle change

Also where the contest entry and the Avenger model share egg shaped saucers sitting ontop of a neck which melds smoothly into the secondary hull, the Vengence has a Circular saucer attached by a clearly defined neck more akin to a constitution vessel

It shares some similar qualities with the design but those qualities are shared with a lot of ships. I'm not seeing any similarities in weapon hard points. Il believe you when they change the name back, give the artist credit, and delete the blog where they talk about designing the whole ship.
    • Options
      captzabjudahcaptzabjudah Member Posts: 49 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I really like the Avenger, just wanted to say keep up the good work Dev's :D

Zab Judah
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      If you are like me, and absolutely adore the avenger, Here is some handcrafted Avenger TRIBBLE!

cV7d0Qa.jpg

JLwlcTa.jpg?1

e0YcPH6.jpg?1

KcmXaat.jpg

Daym, That's a fine TRIBBLE ship
      warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
    • Options
      foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      So, has anyone put antiproton cannons and quantum torpedoes on their Avenger?

I will. :D

DeltaFox
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      foxalpha5 wrote: »
      So, has anyone put antiproton cannons and quantum torpedoes on their Avenger?

I will. :D

+ Temporal Warfare bits and pieces.

::: makes note to post image of his own Avenger-class tomorrow ....
      Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
      " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    • Options
      turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Haven't gotten an Avenger yet.... but I've already got plans (for eventually, we're talking 'Cryptic Soon' even) for what I've dubbed 'The Hundred Dollar Ship'...
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
      ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    • Options
      aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Haven't gotten an Avenger yet.... but I've already got plans (for eventually, we're talking 'Cryptic Soon' even) for what I've dubbed 'The Hundred Dollar Ship'...

I was on the fence, I kinda liked the design but felt the secondary hull was too clunky.

Actually flying it finally won me over. It is truly a battlecruiser.
    • Options
      yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      To be honest, i don't like the egg shaped saucers Cryptics designers have come up with since the odyssey.

For the Avenger i would have preferred if we would have got some alternatives like the T5 Heavy Cruiser has. A additional ellipse shaped saucer would have been a nice alternative for the very small and narrow looking saucer of the Avenger IMO.

To be honest i really miss the lack of options new ships Cryptic releases. The ship designer always was one of my favourite things to experiment with in STO, but Cryptic decided to just pop out more and more different ships witout giving them any options to speak of. Sad really.

EDIT:
      A Steamrunner like saucer (maybe even a bit wider) would be really cool for the avenger IMO.
      "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
      (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    • Options
      edited October 2013
      Bought one a few days ago using my Crystaline Entity Project payouts

Loving it, there are a few features not to my taste like the Pylon attaching too far forward of the nacelle

However I am loving the Deflector , the design is simply fantastic, not just for the Red Alert change when the Glowing sections go dark leaving the centre active, i just love the way its mounted to the hull, the way in which its set into the hull looks great to me