test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

new hud ui: does it exist an option to revert its skin to the old one?

goroda52goroda52 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Sorry, I don't like the hud.

I am not speaking of the added functionalities, I do speak of graphics, of the skin itself
Ugly, flashy plain colors, squared windows and buttons...
Enlighted target place in crude white with bold border,
not to speak of those white cercles indicating npc moving or pc moving in near space
of which I don't care

It remenbers me the launch of new romulus, nice work, fine and huge zone but child drawing cartoon styled map and minimap
I did though you would changed it, that it was just a lack of time to provide better before the release date

Child drawing cartoon incrusted on a 'real' world background, that is my feel if the new hud
So my question is: is there a way/option in game to revert to the previous skin?
Post edited by goroda52 on

Comments

• Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are several different color styles (which includes small differences with corners and whatnot), but there is no option to go back to the old UI used before Legacy of Romulus.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It 'does' feel like the UI's need to be 'sharpened' a tad, things feel muted and washed a bit.
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aleaic wrote: »
    It 'does' feel like the UI's need to be 'sharpened' a tad, things feel muted and washed a bit.

It's supposed to feel slightly muted. It's not the light bulb behind black plexi look anymore. The more muted color scheme is actually much easier on the eyes for an extended amount of time, especially for people with photosensitivity.

Just give it some time and you'll get used to it and realize how much it'll grow on you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    It's supposed to feel slightly muted. It's not the light bulb behind black plexi look anymore. The more muted color scheme is actually much easier on the eyes for an extended amount of time, especially for people with photosensitivity.

Just give it some time and you'll get used to it and realize how much it'll grow on you.

'Muted' is what the new UI is not.

* - 'In Your Face' dialogue windows that take up the whole screen when you are trying to navigate your ship.

* - Multiple colors for buttons, borders, ect. that serve to severly distract the player from the world beyond the HUD, reducing awareness and causing confusion about what is a button on the HUD and what is another ship/torpedo trying to destroy you. It doesn't help that the colors themselves are extremely contrasting with each other (I don't need a crayola range of colors on my HUD!).

* - The Low Priority Interact window that puts itself on top of/blocks using anything you try to put it under and is a solid panel (not transparent).

* - The Target Information window is too large and non-transparent, including info not needed and blocking even more of the game world (in addition to being very distracting).

* - No means to alter HUD elements into degrees of transparency, making the HUD clutter the viewing of the game world.

Give me the old-time HUD, when the HUD was meant to provide information but not replace the game world it is supposed to be helping.

There is a reason real-world HUDs are monochrome...it's because multicolor HUDs can't be tuned out of awareness when things happen fast, leading to distraction. With a monochrome scheme, the person can easily switch awareness between what the HUD is telling them and what is visible beyond the HUD becuase they can key on on one color as being the 'HUD' and everything else being 'The Real Situation'.

Seriously, who thought making the HUD a cascade of colors was a -good- idea?

>>>> PLEASE GIVE THE CLASSIC SETTINGS THE CLASSIC SETTINGS, NOT JUST ONE OR TWO THINGS WITH EVERYTHING ELSE STILL THE UGLY AND DISTRACTING ICE CREAM COLORS!!! <<<<<<
  • Options
    goroda52goroda52 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are right danqueller, you give the functionalities point of view and I gave the graphic one

I play a shoot-them-up game on console with my child, it is fully drawn and in a cartoon/manga style and I have no problem with it

Point is star trek is not a cartoon, it is tv series and films, the mix of the windows style and hud with the main windows, disallow immersion and I don't feel am IN it anymore, just watching and participating

Just give a look at the start: character selection
    Look at the left half and the right one, it is 2 styles
    which half do you prefer and feel to be star trek bound?
  • Options
    daverreondaverreon Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too do not like the new HUD. It's faded looking, blocky, and the color schemes are not the best. I like the older scheme with few colors (nearly monochrome). If we can't get the old HUD back, then perhaps a scheme with a transparent background and at most two colors.

A HUD isn't a work of art; it's there to provide information quickly and easily and not be in the way of the viewer.
  • Options
    vykorprimevykorprime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I thought I was alone in disliking this new HUD (everyone else I talk to about this is all "oo, pretty colors").

The colors are ridiculously distracting. Case in point: 4 different colors + green for ship's power levels. Used to be that I can tell at a glance where my power levels here, which systems went offline, etc. Now there is an appreciable cognitive cost to this. It also inevitably draws attention away from the rest of the screen when power tray buttons flash on and off as abilities are used.

I don't care about the rest of the interface -- they can be flashy and colorful and it wouldn't matter. I would really like the HUD and the power tray back into a monochromatic scheme.
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    danqueller wrote: »
    'Muted' is what the new UI is not.

* - 'In Your Face' dialogue windows that take up the whole screen when you are trying to navigate your ship.

* - Multiple colors for buttons, borders, ect. that serve to severly distract the player from the world beyond the HUD, reducing awareness and causing confusion about what is a button on the HUD and what is another ship/torpedo trying to destroy you. It doesn't help that the colors themselves are extremely contrasting with each other (I don't need a crayola range of colors on my HUD!).

* - The Low Priority Interact window that puts itself on top of/blocks using anything you try to put it under and is a solid panel (not transparent).

* - The Target Information window is too large and non-transparent, including info not needed and blocking even more of the game world (in addition to being very distracting).

* - No means to alter HUD elements into degrees of transparency, making the HUD clutter the viewing of the game world.

Give me the old-time HUD, when the HUD was meant to provide information but not replace the game world it is supposed to be helping.

There is a reason real-world HUDs are monochrome...it's because multicolor HUDs can't be tuned out of awareness when things happen fast, leading to distraction. With a monochrome scheme, the person can easily switch awareness between what the HUD is telling them and what is visible beyond the HUD becuase they can key on on one color as being the 'HUD' and everything else being 'The Real Situation'.

Seriously, who thought making the HUD a cascade of colors was a -good- idea?

>>>> PLEASE GIVE THE CLASSIC SETTINGS THE CLASSIC SETTINGS, NOT JUST ONE OR TWO THINGS WITH EVERYTHING ELSE STILL THE UGLY AND DISTRACTING ICE CREAM COLORS!!! <<<<<<

qft

the new hud is just too SHARP. not in the meaning of being rectangular (I kinda like it, tho in the end now everything that shows data is smaller, while taking the same amount, if not more space up.
    what I mean, is basically every damned color is contrast to eachother, making it really hard to concentrate (especially considering, that they are all too brigth, and most of the time you are looking at the dark space)

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    UI is:

- Too sharp
    - Too distracting
    - When using the non classics, and especially in red alert, it looks like a big rainbow.

- Green Hull color indicator (disgusting)
    - 4 different colors for the power level indicators
    - 3 different colors for each ability class (Which should be an optional thing to activate rather then being forced upon us, this is just disgustingly ugly and especially for 3 year old players it really doesnt help us ...

The shield distribution part looks like a big mess and if you scale down the UI below 1.00 setting its going to be horribly aliased/pixelated as well.

This UI with its horrid colors remind me of different colored LEGO blocks stapled upon each other.

The only way the UI looks decent is when being in Sector space when all colors are more monochrome and equalized.
    MT - Sad Pandas