test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

4/4/13b 'gameclient.exe' process doesn't terminate itself on exit of the STO client

crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Tribble - Bug Reports
Background: I'm running the Windows XP OS (SP3) fully patched.

After playing for awhile on Tribble after the 4/4/13 patch/build push, I did some other stuff (internet browsing. e-mail, etc.); and noticed my system was responding very slowly.

I hit <Ctrl><Alt><Del> to bring up the Windows task manager; and saw 'gameclient.exe' still showing under the 'processes' tab (meaning it was still loaded and running, and reserving system memory.) I manually terminated the 'gameclient.exe' process and my system response went back to normal (for it.)

I then did some furher testing and found that on my system (under WinXP SP3); after I quit the game exit the STO client; the 'gameclient.exe' process continues running in the background until I manually terminate it. The current STO client build on Tribble test server isn't terminating itself completely under Windows XP.

(Don't know if it exhibits the same behaviour under Windows 7 or Windows 8 - but it's something your programming team needs to look into.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alkeldaalkelda Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I also run WinXP, patched.

I have the same bug. I kept having to reboot to clear it. Stopping Gameclient.exe worked for me, too. Thanks for pointing me at it.

Another WinXP issue with the new code?
  • admiralblackbaradmiralblackbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, interesting.

This is all anecdotal but they were aware of their input issues with XP, and stated that in the patches and have now seemed to fix that. I saw another report with someone having issues with multi-core enhancement, also running XP. And now this, another issue confirmed by separate people, causing trouble with, what seems to be the common point, XP. Perhaps their coding isn't very XP friendly.

Very curious.
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This still seems to be an occurrence, running Windows XP SP3 as well.

In fact, right now, I have *TWO* GameClient.exe's running, one with a mem usage of 458k, the other 369k. I force-closed the previous instance after I quit the first time before logging back in, so not sure how I ended up with two from my second log-in after.

A few nights ago, also after running around on Tribble and then closing the game, I went to shutdown my system and it gave me an error about "cryptic-joystick" not being responsive or such as well, though haven't had that since. I do have a joystick plugged in, but this is a new error for me, and I don't tend to touch it for STO and have controller functions turned off ingame. Figure this somewhat relates to the above poster's "cryptic controller not turning off."

I hope this isn't something that makes it to live, as I don't enjoy the idea of the game running when I'm not, erm, running it >_O
  • luke3424luke3424 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i have the same issue, though im using a wineskin wrapper(which also emulates windows XP) i dont like having to use the "forceful quit" button to get out of game"
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same problem here with XP SP3.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com