test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disney shuts down Lucas Arts

crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Ten Forward
Yep - way off topic, but still when a giant media/entertainment corporation (Disney) acquires another major media IP (Star Wars) with its own operations; and wants to look good to shareholders, it starts cutting.

I hope the people who were formerly part of Lucas Arts can find other work fast.

Link to an article about the closure:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/disney-shutters-lucasarts/
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maybe a few of these guys can make their way to here? I always feel bad when stuff like this happens, but we all should have seen this one coming.

Here's the official statement:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

Disney laid off the entire staff of 150 people this morning and both of the company's current projects--Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313--have been cancelled.

Way to go Disney. :(
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    crypticarmsman We posted at the sametime lol. Lets go play the lotto next and win it lol.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    maybe A Few Of These Guys Can Make Their Way To Here? I Always Feel Bad When Stuff Like This Happens, But We All Should Have Seen This One Coming.

Here's The Official Statement:

"after Evaluating Our Position In The Games Market, We've Decided To Shift Lucasarts From An Internal Development To A Licensing Model, Minimizing The Company's Risk While Achieving A Broader Portfolio Of Quality Star Wars Games. As A Result Of This Change, We've Had Layoffs Across The Organization. We Are Incredibly Appreciative And Proud Of The Talented Teams Who Have Been Developing Our New Titles."

Disney Laid Off The Entire Staff Of 150 People This Morning And Both Of The Company's Current Projects--star Wars: First Assault And Star Wars 1313--have Been Cancelled.

Way To Go Disney. :(

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But now you'll be able to get a license for that "Ewoks Do Endor" game you've always wanted to make...

"X-Wing" seems a long, long time ago.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • syndica122syndica122 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not really surprised. RIP Lucasarts and good luck to any former employees that may have lost their jobs.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This may sound crazy, but the fact that Disney wants to do licensed works may end up being a good thing. It's been years since LucasArts had a genuine in-house hit.

Getting the IP into the hands of developers who actually create solid games wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

It is truly a sad day in the game industry.
    RIP LucasArts. ;(
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wow. i actually hate Disney more then EA at this moment. rip 1313
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was shocked and saddened to read this news :( Especially with all the people canned. But like stirling191, it COULD be a good thing overall (just crappy for those kicked to the curb). Only time will tell.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    well, this might be a good thing for Cryptic, they better start hiring!
  • eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Meh. I won't be shedding any tears over this one. LucasArts was fantastic in the 90s, but it's become a pale shadow of its former self since then, much like Lucas himself. All the good games with the LucasArts label on them since 1999 weren't actually developed by LucasArts. KotOR was made by Bioware.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My respect for George Lucas has seriously taken a downward turn. How could he have allowed this to happen to his former staff, label/company and his name? It's like he just sold out and didn't care what effect it might have on his employee's lives!

George Lucas now in my mind will forever be remembered as the present day Judas of the gaming industry! My sympathies go out to the former LucasArts staff and their families! :(
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yep - way off topic, but still when a giant media/entertainment corporation (Disney) acquires another major media IP (Star Wars) with its own operations; and wants to look good to shareholders, it starts cutting.

I hope the people who were formerly part of Lucas Arts can find other work fast.

**** move, Disney, **** move.

There goes my hope that the Mouse would do right by their acquisition...
    SQUIRREL!
  • flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    My childhood memories are filled with games that open up with that iconic Lucasarts logo. Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Rebel Assault, Dark Forces, Monkey Island, the list goes on. I'm very sad to see them shut down.
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I suppose that makes me a heretic, then. My reaction was, "Good. Maybe the licensees won't be pressured so badly to crank out crappy games in order to meet some incredibly artificial deadline."

(It's possible that I'm still just a leetle miffed about what happened to KotOR II...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited April 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    My childhood memories are filled with games that open up with that iconic Lucasarts logo. Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Rebel Assault, Dark Forces, Monkey Island, the list goes on. I'm very sad to see them shut down.

That's what I'm thinking. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything *beyond* childhood memories where I've been blown away by their titles. :confused::(
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :'(

There goes any chance of a modern Jedi:Outcast game. :(:(:(
    jonsills wrote: »
    I suppose that makes me a heretic, then. My reaction was, "Good. Maybe the licensees won't be pressured so badly to crank out crappy games in order to meet some incredibly artificial deadline."

(It's possible that I'm still just a leetle miffed about what happened to KotOR II...)

...as well as any chance of seeing KotOR III. :'(
  • eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. LucasArts went from being a fantastic studio in the 90s to being a second-rate publishing house that pushed half-finished poorly-designed games regularly in the 2000's. I'm glad to see it put out of its misery. I hope all the people that used to work there can find satisfying jobs elsewhere.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :'(

There goes any chance of a modern Jedi:Outcast game. :(:(:(

...as well as any chance of seeing KotOR III. :'(

NOOOOOOO!!! why is it a button I can't stop pressing it
    GwaoHAD.png
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What the hell, did Bill Gates become CEO of Disney?
    That said, Lucas Arts hasn't come out with anything worthwhile for a long time, we'll just have to see what standard Disney hold licensees to, the jury is still out on whether Disney taking over the Star Wars franchise was a good thing or the worst move ever, time will tell.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • howiedizzlehowiedizzle Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Star Wars 1313 looked truly terrible...
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Disney has rights to Star Wars Lucas films has rights to Indiana Jones and future ventures corporations do this all the time. you should have seen this coming.
    they just reforming the company is all :cool:
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    LucasArts produced some of the greatest games of the 90s, but nothing noteworthy in the last decade. I spent thousands of hours of my middle-school life playing Dark Forces and TIE Fighter, but no one at LA saw fit to continue those series.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know enough about how the video game industry works to know how this will affect the development of the few Star Wars games I actually care about.

All I know is that if they stop making Lego Star Wars / Indiana Jones games I will have no clue what to buy for my nephews for Christmas.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    LONG LIVE THE FEDERATION. and cryptic studios.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The only good thing that could come of this is that we could get a second season of ToMI.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Not to sound too much like a spiteful sith, but I hope part of the 150 are the lead devs that lied to all those people while making TOR, they did gamers dirty with that game. Held onto the NDA until 3 days prior to launch when the head start had already begun and it was too late for most to get refunds, and then censored the hismanah out of their own forums.

This would be poetic justice if those guys could never get a job in the gaming industry again after that one.

And if that's the case, I would ask Disney to buy out a couple of other gaming ip's.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait I thought Lucasarts had little to do with TOR.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Wait I thought Lucasarts had little to do with TOR.

Yeah.... EA is the publisher of TOR not Lucas Arts. LA was never that evil.