test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online to PS3 or XBOX 360

nelson2014nelson2014 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
How can I download sto to ps3?
U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC 1701-Z
Malivistitisa Class (39-century Federation Class)
Post edited by nelson2014 on

Comments

• Options
    felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You can't. I am personally hoping it can be DL on a next gen console someday.
  • Options
    hayabusafuryhayabusafury Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    you cant thank GOD!!

Why would you want to dumb down game programs to fit into the limited world of consoles?

Vote no for stepping backwards!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Help rebuild the Romulan Star Empire to glory. Click the banner to join today.

• Options
    kregorkregor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    you cant thank GOD!!

Why would you want to dumb down game programs to fit into the limited world of consoles?

Vote no for stepping backwards!

Oh look! Someone who has no idea what they're talking about!

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    rayusrayus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Gotta love fanboys :D

Once upon a time, this was the idea for CO and likely STO. Unfortunately, Cryptic couldn't come to a financial agreement with the console giant(s) and they abandoned ship. Since then the game has moved further, and further away from the possibility of having an enjoyable console port through updates and additions to the game that are very click centric.

Short of the requirement for a keyboard & mouse plugged in to every console used to play the client (not going to happen), I just don't see this ever happening. Ever tried to play the game exclusively with a controller? :o
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kregor wrote: »
    Oh look! Someone who has no idea what they're talking about!

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

actually they are correct, in order for STO to work on a soon to be last gen console, it would have to remove a lot of things, restrict many functions, manage to work out a communications system, there would be no foundry, there would be limited character creation, limited ship types, small player base due to needing both a new server, and regulations to fit in it.

transaction systems would go through microsoft/soe and would either be slightly raised(not a big deal) or dropped based on popularity. the code would have to either be redone to fit a console parameters or heavily pasted on with major bugs. hell they'd even have to heavily dum down the graphics and some effects (expect halfresolution for the first year).

not to mention the space needed to hold it, at the very worst they'd have to bring it down to either 7 gigs or 10 gigs of space, and updates would have to be weekly and limited in size, meaning the size of the updates would force the patches to either be a set of 3 occuring over a few weeks, or since it's an MMO heavy patching every week.

console port worth it?: NO! too many bugs and issues as it is, they'd have to devote an entirely new staff just to maintain problems in the port.

MAYBE! in the future, a few years into the future they could make one if one of the cosoles (most likely Xbawx since it is the DirectXbox and many games run with it, and since it is heavy with windows programming...or shells of it) only then might it be on the consoles...and I expect the Wii U style touch tab controllers for it so it may fit more of a UI, not actually using the Wii U....that'd be like writing shakespere in crayon.

don't even get me started on the Accolade to Achievement/Trophie system.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited March 2013
    the only console i see this working on is the ubuntu console..
    this game works pretty good in wine..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Plug your computer into your TV. Problem solved.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Plug your computer into your TV. Problem solved.

this is what I do, the game already has some controller support, you just gotta map it in most cases, plug the controller into your PC, then plug your pc into your TV and BAM! instant console style.
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank god no. MMO's have no spot on consoles. Consoles r for easy play and auto aim games.

Cheers.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My only qualm would be in how STO's graphic fidelity would be further held back by outdated hardware. As it is, we have people playing on practically outdated operating systems, we can't have fancy PhysX effects because their electronic abaci/abacuses would blow a transistor.
  • Options
    kevaldtkevaldt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank god no. MMO's have no spot on consoles. Consoles r for easy play and auto aim games.

Cheers.

Last I checked, I had to use the right stick to aim on my 360... try again.

Easy plaY? Really???

There are very challenging games for the consoles... maybe you should get off your high horse and take a look before calling console games TRIBBLE.
    [SIGPIC]InGame - @Darth_Tauri[/SIGPIC]
    Joined - 9/2011
    "You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Having played FFXI on the PS2, there is some merit to having MMOs on consoles. At the same time however, many things that the players wanted added to the game were shot down by the devs because of "PS2 limitations." Actually PS2 limitations became a running joke in that community because of how often we heard it.

That said I think that MMOs on consoles will work eventually, but I think that consoles have some catching up to do before that can happen on a large scale.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kevaldt wrote: »

Easy plaY? Really???

There are very challenging games for the consoles... maybe you should get off your high horse and take a look before calling console games TRIBBLE.

challanging based on control's doesn't really count, lets be honest here real fast as to why a console is inferior as a gaming product.

Less accuracy is possible a joystick can never be as accurate as a mouse period the end.

Better key mapping this works not just in MMO's but in FPS and RTS as well, I can select things directly on PC that would require me to scroll on consoles thus wasting time and can get you killed.

PC for a multiplayer enviroment support a great deal many more people

PC games can be free, console games unless made by the console owner can not, there are fees attached to it

PC enabled true HD gaming and better graphics fidelity adding to the overall quality of the experince

Consoles Advantage its cheap and it haz halo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kevaldt wrote: »

Easy plaY? Really???

A) Console hardware is puny, weaksauce garbage. That is why they are dirt cheap.
    B) There never has been a console MMO worth playing. There never will be because console UIs suck.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    they'd have to make serious changes to this game actually to allow for proper console mapping because of the sheer number of skills involved. It's why I've used a FS control only once since starting this game years ago, because the number of skills are enormous especially for science captains in science ships.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    A) Console hardware is puny, weaksauce garbage. That is why they are dirt cheap.
    B) There never has been a console MMO worth playing. There never will be because console UIs suck.

as for B) no real MMO, there are some promising aspects for a next gen MMO FPS for consoles, no current PC MMO could be adatped since they are designed for PC, but a console designated MMO might one day exist.

plus current consoles don't even come close to my Desktop in terms of specs...and it is even cheaper than I suspect the next gen consoles would be.

If you build your own desktop, then consoles took the leap from cheap.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Champs was originally slated to go to the xbox 360, which is why there is support for the xbox controller in both STO and CO, however that idea (if I recall correctly) was put on the back burner due to resources. I don't believe there is any plans to go to any of the current or next gen consoles off hand.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited March 2013

Cheers.

MMO's have no place? Square Enix, SOE, and Trion disagree, just to name a few. Bungie/Activision and even PWE will also be treading the line soon enough. They are most certainly doable, and have already been proven as a recipe for success when done right.

I've played loads of very challenging console games, as well as PC games. I thoroughly enjoy both mediums for their own merits. There is a lot to be said for being able to kick back on a couch and enjoy an immersive game in comfort, rather than hunched over a computer screen. This is why my PC has gotten even more use since Steam's Big Picture came along :)

But as for STO specifically, no, not an easy feat any more. Can you imagine Doffing with a controller? :P
  • Options
    radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Cheers.
    This game isn't easy and doesn't feature auto aim? :P

There would not be enough buttons to properly play the game. Based on the Microsoft-designed Xbox 360 controller in front of me, you have 10 buttons max.

In space, I use 24 of my power slots. Maybe 1-3 more if I'm in a cruiser/sci ship. On the ground, I use 18. (technically 20, but I click Diplo immunity and Revive) You'd be severely gimping yourself by only using half of your powers.

You could use triggers like modifier keys, I suppose, but that would have to be the most clunky control setup I have ever seen.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
  • Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nelson2014 wrote: »
    How can I download sto to ps3?

what he means is that he cant play STO with all graphics up max on his machine and he has a PS3 so want to play it on that so graphics will be maximised XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    spork87 wrote: »
    challanging based on control's doesn't really count, lets be honest here real fast as to why a console is inferior as a gaming product.

Less accuracy is possible a joystick can never be as accurate as a mouse period the end.

Better key mapping this works not just in MMO's but in FPS and RTS as well, I can select things directly on PC that would require me to scroll on consoles thus wasting time and can get you killed.

It all boils down to the UI. With most current MMO's, as well as RTS games, I agree. There is no contest, although there are a select few exceptions to the rule.

I whole heartedly disagree for FPS though. Personally, I'll take a gamepad over a keyboard/mouse any day when it comes to that genre.
    PC for a multiplayer enviroment support a great deal many more people

When using older hardware, there are more limitations. However, the same can be said for PCs. MMO's have already successfully operated on current gen consoles.
    PC games can be free, console games unless made by the console owner can not, there are fees attached to it

There have already been a number of F2P console games, and there are more coming in the near future. Sony appears to be embracing this more than their competitors, especially with the PS4's design philosophy.
    PC enabled true HD gaming and better graphics fidelity adding to the overall quality of the experience

Again, this boils down to what kind of hardware you are using, whether its a PC or a console. The current gen consoles are 6+ years old. Next gen hardware will have no issues offering a true HD experience. PC gamers will also benefit from this.

It really all boils down to personal preference. Some people say Xbox suxorz! Others say Playstation suxorz! And yet others say they're both trash with no place in gaming. They're all narrow minded fanboys if you ask me. :cool:
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    you can do space and ground combat with a 360 controller... so technically they wouldnt have to re-work that much to get it to a console.

DCUO and FFXI are the only MMO's i know of that have ever been on consoles. I dont think STO could work on a console unless they added multiple servers, as it would likely become unplayable for consoles at high capacity.
  • Options
    mictacmictac Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    rayus wrote: »
    Gotta love fanboys :D

Once upon a time, this was the idea for CO and likely STO. Unfortunately, Cryptic couldn't come to a financial agreement with the console giant(s) and they abandoned ship. Since then the game has moved further, and further away from the possibility of having an enjoyable console port through updates and additions to the game that are very click centric.

Short of the requirement for a keyboard & mouse plugged in to every console used to play the client (not going to happen), I just don't see this ever happening. Ever tried to play the game exclusively with a controller? :o
    Actually he has a point why the hell would you want to play a pc game on a console beats the hell outa me except the lazy people who dont understand how to keep their pc updated ,pc will always be the superior over consoles least if you have the know how to keep it up to date.
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    My only qualm would be in how STO's graphic fidelity would be further held back by outdated hardware. As it is, we have people playing on practically outdated operating systems, we can't have fancy PhysX effects because their electronic abaci/abacuses would blow a transistor.

Well, not everyone's particularly interested in sinking a few hundred bucks into upgrading their computer hardware every 1-2 years to 'keep up'. Also, not everyone has a gaming PC. Some people, like myself, play the game on a laptop. It actually works reasonably well on low-medium graphics as long as I don't enter an area with a ton of bloom effects or a PvP area with lots of warp plasma and explosions going on. Then I lag something fierce, either due to connection or to graphic overload.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    one thing is for sure ,sto runs like a console game port.You can have the best graphics cards in the world ,the game will avoid the great processing power of gpu's and force the CPU to do all kinds of s*** which can be done alot faster on GPU.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To be fair to consoles, even the PS3 and Xbox, which are pretty old in computer-years are more graphically powerful than a lot of the PCs this game runs on.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, not everyone's particularly interested in sinking a few hundred bucks into upgrading their computer hardware every 1-2 years to 'keep up'. Also, not everyone has a gaming PC. Some people, like myself, play the game on a laptop. It actually works reasonably well on low-medium graphics as long as I don't enter an area with a ton of bloom effects or a PvP area with lots of warp plasma and explosions going on. Then I lag something fierce, either due to connection or to graphic overload.

I take your point somewhat. However, according to the Steam hardware and Software Survey most gamers do actually keep reasonably in line with new tech and software progression. Holding graphical complexity back because of a staunch minority is unjustifiable. I feel there is no need to upgrade every 1-2 years, but lets expect the lowest spec user to at least upgrade once a decade surely! (The survey supports the point that most pc gamers DO exactly that).
  • Options
    adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited March 2013
    actually they are correct, in order for STO to work on a soon to be last gen console, it would have to remove a lot of things, restrict many functions, manage to work out a communications system, there would be no foundry, there would be limited character creation, limited ship types, small player base due to needing both a new server, and regulations to fit in it.

transaction systems would go through microsoft/soe and would either be slightly raised(not a big deal) or dropped based on popularity. the code would have to either be redone to fit a console parameters or heavily pasted on with major bugs. hell they'd even have to heavily dum down the graphics and some effects (expect halfresolution for the first year).

not to mention the space needed to hold it, at the very worst they'd have to bring it down to either 7 gigs or 10 gigs of space, and updates would have to be weekly and limited in size, meaning the size of the updates would force the patches to either be a set of 3 occuring over a few weeks, or since it's an MMO heavy patching every week.

console port worth it?: NO! too many bugs and issues as it is, they'd have to devote an entirely new staff just to maintain problems in the port.

MAYBE! in the future, a few years into the future they could make one if one of the cosoles (most likely Xbawx since it is the DirectXbox and many games run with it, and since it is heavy with windows programming...or shells of it) only then might it be on the consoles...and I expect the Wii U style touch tab controllers for it so it may fit more of a UI, not actually using the Wii U....that'd be like writing shakespere in crayon.

don't even get me started on the Accolade to Achievement/Trophie system.

Stop making so much sense. Its hurting my Halo helmet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you have an early model PS3, it should be able to run a distro of Linux (and thus Wine and then STO), if you really wanted to.