test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Uniform Code: A Short Story

marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Ten Forward
Actually an application piece for Star Trek:Borderlands, but I enjoyed writing it so much, I decided to share it here as well, as it will also impact my crew :) As always, feedback is always appreciated and welcome:)

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Todd Mitchell - Thomas Dekker
Rynar Lambert - Stephen Moyer
Bellic Chanos - Vin Diesel
Amanda Palmer - Courtney Cox

The bulkheads of the transporter room came into focus, and Ensign Todd Mitchell found himself facing a tall, muscular man with black hair and eyes, and a neatly clipped goatee beard. At first glance, he appeared quite Human, but immediately obvious, was the vintage Klingon Commander's baldric, which he wore over the jacket of his Starfleet uniform, and Mitchell realized that he must be Rynar Lambert, the first officer of the USS Valkyrie, who was one eighth QuchHa Klingon. To Mitchell's left, was Lieutenant Commander Bellic Chanos, the new tactical officer and chief of security.
"Welcome aboard, gentlemen," Lambert said, as the two officers stepped down from the transporter platform. "I'm just about to beam over to station Ops, but the Captain will meet you in her quarters on deck one, I'm sure you'll have no difficulty in finding your way."
"Aye, Commander," responded both officers, acknowledging the order, before leaving the transporter room.

Captain Amanda Palmer looked up from her desk top terminal as the chime to her quarters sounded.
"Come in," she replied, before draining the last of the cola in her glass. The door to her quarters opened, and two officers entered. Both men were tall, and clearly in excellent physical condition, but that was where the similarities ended. The older was Bolian, and with a musculature barely contained by the Xenylon jacket of the latest issue fleet uniforms, where the younger was Human, with a shock of dark hair. His uniform undershirt and jacket piping was the new cinnamon color of flight operations.
"Lieutanant Commander Bellic Chanos, and Ensign Todd Mitchell, reporting for duty," Chanos said formally.
"At ease, gentlemen," Palmer replied, picking up a data PADD and scrolling through the files. "Commander Chanos, I'm afraid I'm going to have to skip the pleasantries and put you to work right away. Please report to deck three, where the cargo bays are being reconfigured to allow the new rearward torpedo launchers."
"Aye, Captain," Chanos said, before turning and leaving the austere quarters, leaving Palmer and Mitchell alone.
Through the viewport behind Palmer, Mitchell could see the armatures of McKinley Station as it embraced the Nova Class starship.
"Ensign, while we are in drydock having our long overdue Rhode Island nosejob, I would like you to familiarize yourself with the layout of the conn. As the new helmsman, I also expect you to wear the appropriate uniform."
"Captain, this is the appropriate uniform for an officer with my qualifications," Mitchell replied.
Brushing her bobbed black hair behind her ear, Palmer raised an eyebrow.
"Excuse me, Ensign?"
"Captain, the Ensign is correctly dressed in the uniform for his qualifications and area of expertise," Mitchell replied.
Palmer leaned back in her chair, folding her arms across her chest.
"Ensign, I appreciate that this is your first assignment upon graduating from the Academy, but I think you miss-understood my tone. I was not asking you a favor, but giving you an order.
"Permission to speak freely, Ma'am?" Mitchell asked, resolutely staring at a spot above Palmer's left shoulder.
"Always," Palmer replied, tabbing the replicator control to her side, and then sipped the effervescent liquid.
"I am a Starfleet officer," Mitchell stated. "As such, I will take the assignment I am given, and perform my duties to the best of my abilities. But with the greatest of respect, while by nature of my training I am defacto a navigator and pilot, by qualification, I am a fighter pilot. I have logged more hours in the cockpit of a fighter than any cadet in thirty years, as well as consulting on the control interfaces of the next generation fighters. I did not simply gain my wings at the Academy, I have earned the privilege to wear this uniform which distinguishes me from a starship flight control officer."
Palmer lowered her glass.
"And you think that entitles you to special treatment?"
"No, Ma'am, but it is appropriate for me to wear the departmental uniform and insignia most reflective of my skills. If I may, by virtue of Starfleet tolerance for cultural values, Commander Lambert wears the baldric worn by commanders of Klingon battleships, even though it reflects a rank above his Starfleet commission. Members of my family have been combat aviators since the late 20th Century. Piloting fighters is as much in my blood, as the Commander's Klingon heritage. My training and qualifications attest to that, and I wish only to reflect that."
Palmer tilted her head in acknowledgement of the point Mitchell presented.
"In case you had forgotten, Ensign, this is a Nova Class vessel. We don't have any fighters in the shuttlebay," she said, a note of amusement in her tone.
"Indeed, Captain," Mitchell agreed. "The Valkyrie is, however, in spacedock for retrofitting and upgrade. What better time than now to requisition a fighter for the ship's compliment of auxiliary craft?"
Unable to repress her amusement any longer, Palmer smiled broadly.
"You make an interesting point, Ensign, and a very convincing case," she admitted. "With regard your transfer orders, I'm going to flag this as in progress, and we'll see how things go. Should things not go smoothly, then you can always request transfer to another posting."
Mitchell nodded silently, and Palmer continued:
"Report to the bridge and take your station as you are."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    Nice Marcus. Somewhat longer and more in depth than my application :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    [I agree! This is an interesting take to explain why the Uniform Code is not really uniform :P Captain Palmer is VERY forgiving.]
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Indeed she is forgiving! I'm not even sure Alyosha--my most tolerant captain--would allow that sort of comment from a junior officer. All of my toons expect the uniforms on their ships to be consistent. (Ignoring the ship-interior graphics, of course.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bortjinx wrote: »
    Nice Marcus. Somewhat longer and more in depth than my application :)
    edited January 2013
    [I agree! This is an interesting take to explain why the Uniform Code is not really uniform :P
    As soon as I saw these uniforms, I decided I would refer to them, rather than the STO options :D
    Captain Palmer is VERY forgiving.]
    gulberat wrote: »
    Indeed she is forgiving! I'm not even sure Alyosha--my most tolerant captain--would allow that sort of comment from a junior officer. All of my toons expect the uniforms on their ships to be consistent. (Ignoring the ship-interior graphics, of course.)
    Palmer's tolerance comes from the remembrance that she would have been expelled from the Academy in her Senior year due to disciplinary issues arising after her Midshipman cruise, and it was only the then Captain Kane mentoring her and making her an acting Ensign, which saved her Starfleet career. Equally, it comes from the fact that Mitchell was speaking the truth with regards cultural tolerance in uniform variations. Had he simply been lying and feeding her a line of BS, she would have put him out the airlock herself :D Of course, how the application is received, will determine how long the Ensign remains at the helm ;)
    edited January 2013
    Palmer's tolerance comes from the remembrance that she would have been expelled from the Academy in her Senior year due to disciplinary issues arising after her Midshipman cruise, and it was only the then Captain Kane mentoring her and making her an acting Ensign, which saved her Starfleet career.

Is this story written somewhere to read?
    Equally, it comes from the fact that Mitchell was speaking the truth with regards cultural tolerance in uniform variations. Had he simply been lying and feeding her a line of BS, she would have put him out the airlock herself :D Of course, how the application is received, will determine how long the Ensign remains at the helm ;)

This is where i thought you (she) was coming from. There IS value in being upfront and honest with superiors. He also asked for "permission to speak freely" so Palmer kinda asked for it. Still, even with his honesty she could have overrode any personal value Mitchell expressed for the sake of unity and command.

So he better be awesome and back up those words with action or hsi crew quarters may end up on the other side of the hull.

Heh, not really, but you know what I mean.

For my crew, Sierra 2 ... and that rhymes! :)
    edited January 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    You mean idiocy ... counseling REALLY? Its a now a department REALLY?

Relative to Borderlands and their PbeM storytelling setting ... that makes sense. Counseling (as a Department for players to be involved in at Borderlands) is a way to explore a character more in depth as a construct of fiction.

You know, "role-playing" ;)
    edited January 2013
    Is this story written somewhere to read?
    Yes and no... About fifteen years ago, I wrote a manuscript where Palmer is first summoned on board the Endeavour as a cadet for an interview with Kane when he is asked to evaluate her for a final chance. He realizes that after the practical experience of the Midshipman cruise, she was unable to settle back into academic routine, so makes her an acting ensign. I then never did anything else with it. A few months ago, I started to write a Doctor Who manuscript, and decided to use my past crew as the additional cast. I essentially picked up the plotline from where I had left off, with Palmer having been on board for a few months as Kane's executive assistant. When I then found out that STO had jumped the timeline forwards 30 years, I decided to retire the Endeavour crew, but as a continuity, I decided to make the youngest/lowest ranking officer (Palmer) the new Captain :)
    This is where i thought you (she) was coming from. There IS value in being upfront and honest with superiors. He also asked for "permission to speak freely" so Palmer kinda asked for it. Still, even with his honesty she could have overrode any personal value Mitchell expressed for the sake of unity and command.
    This is true, and I've always thought the same thing with Worf being allowed to wear his baldrics (which very few other Klingons actually wear...) I have to admit, I had hoped that Mitchell would come across as sincere and impassioned, rather than being whiny and overly entitled :D
    So he better be awesome and back up those words with action or hsi crew quarters may end up on the other side of the hull.
    He's a descendant of the legendary Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell, so he would indeed be suitably awesome ;) In truth however, he was written purely for use in the admission to Star Trek: Borderlands, so depending on the success of that application, he won't be remaining aboard the Valkyrie for long...
    For my crew, Sierra 2 ... and that rhymes!
    Not sure what Sierra 2 stands for, but rhyming is good :D
    edited January 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    You mean idiocy ... counseling REALLY? Its a now a department REALLY?
    What idiocy would that be? :confused: You seem to find that hard to believe, but why? Counselors are not doctors, nor are they scientists, so given the Badlands departmental distinctions, while it's not a department I would have highlighted myself, I can't fault the logic...
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Palmer's tolerance comes from the remembrance that she would have been expelled from the Academy in her Senior year due to disciplinary issues arising after her Midshipman cruise, and it was only the then Captain Kane mentoring her and making her an acting Ensign, which saved her Starfleet career. Equally, it comes from the fact that Mitchell was speaking the truth with regards cultural tolerance in uniform variations. Had he simply been lying and feeding her a line of BS, she would have put him out the airlock herself :D Of course, how the application is received, will determine how long the Ensign remains at the helm ;)

I guess to me, "cultural tolerance" is in a different category from the reasons Mitchell outlined, which to me sounded more like personal preference and a high opinion of himself in his job. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited February 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    I guess to me, "cultural tolerance" is in a different category from the reasons Mitchell outlined, which to me sounded more like personal preference and a high opinion of himself in his job. ;)
    Highest amount of hours logged in a fighter by a cadet in 30 years is something of a testament to his passion for flying, and four hundred years of family tales of combat aviation is likely to create a very focused individual :D Of course, as above, chances are Mitchell will not be remaining on board the Valkyrie, but reassigned to destinations unknown ;) The permanent 'new face' in the piece was Commander Chanos :cool:
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited February 2013

Mine was nothing special, just the new Jinx host leaving the transport shuttle that took him to one of the DFA stations, his first impressions, then deciding to get a drink before reporting for duty.

So, what faction did you decide to join?

And on the subject of uniforms, Jinx has little choice but to be relaxed about the dress code. Her bridge officers consist of a Breen, a Reman, 2 Borg, a Jem'hadar, a Gorn, an Orion, an EMH, and a lone, solitary human.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    bortjinx wrote: »
    Mine was nothing special, just the new Jinx host leaving the transport shuttle that took him to one of the DFA stations, his first impressions, then deciding to get a drink before reporting for duty.

So, what faction did you decide to join?

And on the subject of uniforms, Jinx has little choice but to be relaxed about the dress code. Her bridge officers consist of a Breen, a Reman, 2 Borg, a Jem'hadar, a Gorn, an Orion, an EMH, and a lone, solitary human.
    I applied for the Federation :)

That's a pretty diverse crew, I like the idea of a Gorn in a Starfleet uniform :cool:
    edited February 2013
    Sierra 2 is the uniform type in STO. From what I can tell it is the uniform worn by "Phaser Guy" on the website which suggests to me it's the "official" canon uniform of Star Trek in 2409.

Again, in my opinion.

Borderlands looks fun ... I don't have the time for it :(
    edited February 2013
    Sierra 2 is the uniform type in STO. From what I can tell it is the uniform worn by "Phaser Guy" on the website which suggests to me it's the "official" canon uniform of Star Trek in 2409.

Again, in my opinion.

Borderlands looks fun ... I don't have the time for it :(

Ahh, yes, not having been able to play the game yet, I missed the designation reference :o I have to admit, personally, I prefer Sierra 1, although Antares 1 has a kind of TNG feel to it as well :cool:

I'm hoping I'll be lucky, as I think it'll be a good way for me to stretch my writing skills :)
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Truth be told, I sometimes wish that uniforms in this game were actually uniform (and that starships were all painted Starfleet white, etc etc). But I also know that players wouldn't stand for it - they'd get bored and/or quit. In real militaries, conformity and consistency are important; in a game, players want to be individuals and stand out.
    edited February 2013
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Truth be told, I sometimes wish that uniforms in this game were actually uniform (and that starships were all painted Starfleet white, etc etc). But I also know that players wouldn't stand for it - they'd get bored and/or quit. In real militaries, conformity and consistency are important; in a game, players want to be individuals and stand out.
    I quite agree :) I do like the idea that players can customize the uniforms as they want, but equally, some of the uniform options available simply don't even look like Starfleet uniforms, but biker leathers. That was probably the thing I liked the most when I looked at the Badlands site: The uniforms looked like Starfleet uniforms... I could totally accept that they were fleet issue, and the comm badges equally maintained the accepted aesthetic, and expanded upon that with logical conjecture :) Looking at the STO uniforms, I think it might be possible to customize the color scheme of Sierra 1 into something similar to the Badlands uniforms...
    Shift the color of the body of the jacket and pants to black, make the dark grey yoke detail the division colors, and have the colored shoulder panels black, and I think it might work... :cool: