test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #37 Discussion Thread

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited February 2013 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #37 : Mirror, Mirror on the... Viewscreen?
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #37 : Mirror, Mirror on the... Viewscreen?.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ooooooh, I'm so sorry, but I need to put a plug in here. Also, because the challenge number is even calling out my name!

I've answered this question a in a pretty well rated foundry mission, and one I would actually consider to be my best! And I've won two contests...

So, rather than retype dialog from that, I'd like to politely suggest anyone interested to check out the following Foundry Mission for the Federation Faction. I'd consider it my submission.

"Personal Reflection"
    Author: XR-377
    Faction: Federation
    Lvl: 31+
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Does it have to be Mirror Universe?

I've had a few story ideas involving alternate universes, and I'm thinking one of them might work for this Challenge.

I'll need to do a bit of thinking, though, just to make sure.
    76561198160276582.png
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Technically speaking, my post involves two of my characters. The one the story revolves around, and the Mirror version of the other one I've used in Literary Challenges before (Antilles). I gotta say, that's some good reading there. Now, back to the Star Trek Destiny trilogy I picked up the other day.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Awww, dang...unfortunately I'm not really feeling this challenge. :( In a way, Alyosha did just confront something he sees as being like a twisted mirror of himself (and the Devidians undoubtedly felt the same way about him), so I feel like I just did something like this. Oh, well...there's next time.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Here is mine.

I took a direction that would see my captain resolve his mirror issue.

Due to my Cagalli character not having a Mirror counterpart, I opted to have mirror Amuro captaining the ship I used back in the first challenge entry I remember making, the Prometheus class Epyon. This also let me surprise my mirror with all the gadgets she has made for my characters.

Let me know what you think. Cheers!
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Destroyer--

Definitely liked what you did there. I particularly enjoyed the way you were able to work humor into the dialogue without it coming off as farcical. It particularly makes you think, too, when you see how surprised the Mirror version of your captain is, that his supposedly meek and passive counterpart is able to pull a trick like beaming him into the brig. It also seems that both are plagued by a lack of foresight that got them into trouble: the Mirror not insisting on doing the transporting himself, and the "canon" captain assuming that having the Mirror's command staff in confinement would be enough and not acting to destroy whatever portal the Mirror came through.

Well done!

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Does it have to be Mirror Universe?

I've had a few story ideas involving alternate universes, and I'm thinking one of them might work for this Challenge.

I'll need to do a bit of thinking, though, just to make sure.

The background story is just to serve as a basis, and I just ask that you stay on topic. :) So, if this is "you" from an alternate universe, that works!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • lordrelentlesslordrelentless Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thought I'd sticky link mine here http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7598841&postcount=3

It plays into already existing plot for the STO universe.
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I added one of me own. Honestly, it could be longer. Way longer. And more interesting, but I don't think I'll be able to cram it all into one posting, so you get the very first bit instead.
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The background story is just to serve as a basis, and I just ask that you stay on topic. :) So, if this is "you" from an alternate universe, that works!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Right--I'll see what I can come up with.
    76561198160276582.png
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In like Flynn on the first day!! There is plenty more to this and it's brewing but I have to work as well and the rest will get put online tomorrow :)

I hope you enjoy so far!
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fantastic entries everyone :cool: I almost called a pass on this one, but figured this was the best opportunity to do this, so did it... Yes, I have namedropped... ;)

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Marcus Kane - Matt Bomer
    Rynar Lambert - Stephen Moyer
    Amanda Palmer - Courtney Cox
    Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
    Darien Kane - Jeremy Irons
    edited January 2013
    Oh, right. Cast list...uh...

Lt. Cmdr Shanda (Andorian): Wynona Ryder
    Lt. Tarayl (Trill): Jenette Goldstein with a shaved head
    Regular Khas: A garbage bag of spiders voiced by Stephen Blum.
    Mirror Khas: A Pringles carton full of bees voiced by Evil Stephen Blum
    Jerry "Viewscreen" Rogers: A view screen.

I think that covers it.
    edited January 2013
    Dangit ... cast list:

Cpt Beringer: Rachel Nichols (got reminded of her role as "Scarlett" in the GI Joe movie)
    Anthi: Georgia King (it's about height and face)

I have some reading to catch up on.
  • amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    D'oh! Forgot my cast list as well...

Amuro Ray: Myself
    Mirror Ray: Andy Murray
    Zazhid: Jessica Biel
    Cagalli: Zoe Saldana (voice)
    Mathis: Billy Connolly
    Six: Noomi Rapace
    Pi: Peter Cullen
    Loeba: Natalia Tena
    crewman on intercom: Frank Welker
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, finally in. That one took me a while to type up. Might make for an interesting foundry mission...Anyway, something I feel I should probably explain, The Athena, as I'm sure you can tell, was named after the Ancient Greek goddess of wisdom and battle. In contrast, Minerva, the name of the ship commanded by Bryan's mirror counterpart, was the Roman version of the same deity. I figured that would be fitting as the Federation is very similar to the Ancient Greeks, more concerned with discovery than war, whereas the Terran Empire is quite similar to the Roman Empire; heavily focused on conquest and battle, thus making for a fitting contrast between Bryan and his "twin."

Also, if I were to turn this into a movie, the following would be the soundtrack:

Meeting the Minerva: Atrocity; Sound of Silence (Watchmen soundtrack)
    Discussing the plans: Christopher Lennertz; Stand Strong, Stand Together (Mass Effect 3 OST)
    The Battle: (artist unknown); Suicide Mission (Mass Effect 2 OST)
    Ibalei's death?: Thomas Bergersen Undying Love (Legend)

And, tbh, I have NO clue who I'd cast for each of my characters :o
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My entry is here.

I got the idea for this while reading a book on World War II (D-Day by Martin Gilbert - that's where the Churchill quote came from). Then I tried to make it as outrageous as possible.

Questions for readers:
    • Was alternating between the "log entry" and third person storytelling effective?
    • Did I make it too confusing? Obviously I wanted obscure but I might have gone too far.
    • What is an ideal length for an entry like this? I'm not the most verbose writer here, but my goal is to keep it short and simple. I think this is the longest one I have posted so far.
    • I am naming the runabouts after lesser-known scientists (Linus Pauling and Max von Laue so far). Does anyone have a good recommendation for the third and final runabout on the Odyssey? Everybody has a shuttlecraft named Einstein or Hawking so please don't go there.
    edited January 2013
    Sure. Nikolai Vavilov. The guarding of the Vavilov Institute against both the Germans and starving denizens of Stalingrad was a heart-wrenching tale in its own right and was the inspiration for a grindy, driving song by The Decemberists.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I posted here the other day and i saw it pop up on the page, but now it's like i never posted.....

Needless to say that i'm a little confused as to what happened.

Either way i'd posted that i'm looking forward to trying to come up with something for this one since i haven't really thought about the mirror version of my crew yet. It would be interesting to delve into but it might take a few days to get a solid piece that i like together.
    edited January 2013
    Well, finally in. That one took me a while to type up. Might make for an interesting foundry mission...Anyway, something I feel I should probably explain, The Athena, as I'm sure you can tell, was named after the Ancient Greek goddess of wisdom and battle. In contrast, Minerva, the name of the ship commanded by Bryan's mirror counterpart, was the Roman version of the same deity. I figured that would be fitting as the Federation is very similar to the Ancient Greeks, more concerned with discovery than war, whereas the Terran Empire is quite similar to the Roman Empire; heavily focused on conquest and battle, thus making for a fitting contrast between Bryan and his "twin."

Also, if I were to turn this into a movie, the following would be the soundtrack:

Meeting the Minerva: Atrocity; Sound of Silence (Watchmen soundtrack)
    Discussing the plans: Christopher Lennertz; Stand Strong, Stand Together (Mass Effect 3 OST)
    The Battle: (artist unknown); Suicide Mission (Mass Effect 2 OST)
    Ibalei's death?: Thomas Bergersen Undying Love (Legend)

And, tbh, I have NO clue who I'd cast for each of my characters :o

Absolutely fantastic entry, I really enjoyed it, and love the idea of the soundtrack as well :) My one critique: The description of Ibalei before she was identified, for me, lessened the impact of the moment, as I was reading it as a description, if that makes any sense? For example, had it identified her, and then described how she looked through Bryan's eyes, it might have been a bit more punchy, but of course, that's just my .2c, and my own had so much exposition, feel free to disregard :D
    edited January 2013
    My entry is here.

I got the idea for this while reading a book on World War II (D-Day by Martin Gilbert - that's where the Churchill quote came from). Then I tried to make it as outrageous as possible.

Questions for readers:
    • Was alternating between the "log entry" and third person storytelling effective?
    • Did I make it too confusing? Obviously I wanted obscure but I might have gone too far.
    • What is an ideal length for an entry like this? I'm not the most verbose writer here, but my goal is to keep it short and simple. I think this is the longest one I have posted so far.
    • I am naming the runabouts after lesser-known scientists (Linus Pauling and Max von Laue so far). Does anyone have a good recommendation for the third and final runabout on the Odyssey? Everybody has a shuttlecraft named Einstein or Hawking so please don't go there.

Really enjoyed the quote, it set the tone perfectly :) Fantastic entry :)
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    Mine is another Trill-based entry. Since I've been writing my character background out, I've spent a fair bit of time reading up on Trill, it's inhabitants, and it's past. One thing that is never mentioned is how Trill developed in the mirror universe, so I started thinking about it.

In the 'prime' universe, there is a race of genetically engineered symbionts called Parasites. Or at least, there were until Picard killed the last one when he uncovered their attempts to take over Starfleet. I decided I'd have the genetic engineering that marked their beginnings as the catalyst for a somewhat different Trill, where the symbionts ruled the Trill and kept them in slavery to service their every need, including hosts.

It's not very well written, since I've just knocked it up in half an hour over my lunch break.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    @ Bortjinx: Awesome use of console to console communications, that was a really nice entry :)
    edited January 2013
    @ Bortjinx: Awesome use of console to console communications, that was a really nice entry :)

Thanks Marcus. I didn't think too much of it. It was only a quick one while I was on lunch at work :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Something I have found interesting, is people's willingness to betray/kill their 'evil twins', rather than the evil twins actually 'being evil'. It's almost like how Bender is the evil twin, and Flexo was a good guy :D
    edited January 2013
    bortjinx wrote: »
    Thanks Marcus. I didn't think too much of it. It was only a quick one while I was on lunch at work :)
    It worked nicely, especially the alternate Jinx being male. It certainly set up some interesting aspects to possibly be explored in future pieces :)
    edited January 2013

Everyone names them after famous Earth scientists. Why not look at some of Federation's other planets for famous scientists in Star Trek history and lore?

U.S.S. Daystrom, for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Something I have found interesting, is people's willingness to betray/kill their 'evil twins', rather than the evil twins actually 'being evil'. It's almost like how Bender is the evil twin, and Flexo was a good guy :D

The reasoning behind (prime) Jinx being willing and ready to kill (mirror) Jinx is based very heavily on the history of a race called Parasites. What the mirror symbionts were doing is very similar to something that happened in the prime universe, which Trill pretty much swore would never happen again.

It isn't entirely 100% canon, but then it is Trek... Nothing is 100% canon apart from the the shows, so I feel it's ok to use it, and being fair, the Parasites were in the shows, and it was never explained where they came from, so it could be canon, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    It worked nicely, especially the alternate Jinx being male. It certainly set up some interesting aspects to possibly be explored in future pieces :)

I can think of a few...
    Jinx meeting the 'prime' incarnation of mirror Jinx's host, unjoined, of course.
    Trill's reaction to what the mirror symbionts are doing.
    Jinx's quest to stop the mirror symbionts, and free the enslaved Trill population.
    Mirror universe Trill, their plans and goals, and how they proceed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013

Heisenburg
    Chadwick (discovered the Neutron '32)
    Feynman

To name a few :)