test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic/STO launcher crashing

2»

Comments

• jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have uploaded the current Cryptic Launcher to our fleet site for use... since some ppl have problems with the other sites.
    The auto-update does not always work for everyone, or u get a huge download with alot of patching afterwards..

Cryptic Launcher 2012-08-22 this download is 3.5mb, this is (hopefully) the main installer.
    Just unzip the file to the location from which u want to start Star Trek Online, current game size is around 10GB

When u start up the launcher, before u log in, it is very usefull to change some of the default options , by clicking the options button.

http://galacticrangers.net/extras/launcher-options-patching.jpg <== cant post image, so link to image instead.

Disable on-demand patching .... this will increase the size on disk, slightly increase initial download time and weekly patch time ... the big trade off now is that the game will not do on-demand patching EACH AND EVERY TIME you see a loading screen ingame.
    This will decrease ingame loading & waiting times, reduce the load on your CPU hopefully making your system run slightly cooler & faster ( quite important for laptop users) and give a very big improvement to your game enjoyment.

The Force Verify can be checked if you get weird game things or crashes, to see if it might be gamefile related.

There are many ways to improve performance of your system, the main way is to start with a Defragmentation of the Hard Disk ( dont do this if you have an SSD )
    More info Google Windows Defrag
    More info on Graphics Tuning, and what all those options mean at TweakGuides Graphics Tuning

Hope it helps everyone.
    Just wish they would make link to the basic launcher on the STO-site ....
  • chris901990chris901990 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hello folks,

I was on star trek online yesterday and today all of a sudden I cannot launch the game, it just keeps crashing!!!!

! HOW ANNOYING ! :mad:

Star Trek online (STO - perfectworld, cryptic) lack on support its frigging unbelievable!

I have been doing a lot of research on howto fix this bug and shockingly there aint a lot of support on this topic what-so-ever.

So I did some of my own research:

1st I began locating the star Trek Online files for steam (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online)

From there I found the Star Trek Online.exe, I did some further researching on an updated Launcher, deleted the previous launcher and replaced it with the updated one, this didn't help.

So I went back to the Star Trek Online installation location:
    Then went to this directory: (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live)

Where I found the file named GameClient.exe
    I opened up this file to find this is the actual game client, after it did its loading a login screen appeared, attempted to login but it failed to connect to the account server.

There was that idea down the drain !

Finaly I came across this directory:
    (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\.patch)

Here I deleted ALL files located in that folder.

Re-launched the game and WA-LAh! logged in, patched it up again and I hit the ENGAGE button, it takes a while to load... and GUES WHAT! the same damn crash error !

What this all boils down to is File verification:

1. I open up the game, click options - result CRASH
    2. I Login, ENGAGE - result CRASH
    3. I use the GameClient.exe , login - result: couldnt connect to account server

I did further research to find a way to verify the files to fix them, shockingly this support doesn't exist !

It is a pain to have to delete the game and re-download a further 10G of data wich takes between 1 and 3 hours to download followed by the patches 1 to 3 1/2 hours.

I shouldnt have to keep deleting and re-installing the game again.

This is a serious bug that need some ERGENT ATTENTION.

I mean how are we users supposed to play a game that develop's its own bugs?

Especially when yesterday the game was working fine and all of a sudden today the game well CRASHES !
  • captainjrn1996captainjrn1996 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Today I went into The Directory And Found A .log file called ERRORS.log!
    I opened it and found out this:

120310 12:01:11 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    120310 15:47:35 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    120311 15:49:57 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    120311 19:26:34 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    120311 19:28:53 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    120312 16:37:38 3 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 14\nThe connection to the server was lost - unexpectedly disconnected
    120315 16:18:05 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long

Is there any way I could fix this?
  • nachobizniznachobizniz Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was in the middle of playing and it crashed on me. Now I can't use ventrillo either.
  • captainjrn1996captainjrn1996 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have a slightly different problem to you folks.
    You see yours crashes in the launcher,
    However my launcher doesn't crash at all. Mine crashes when you start the GameClient.exe.

It shows the cryptic loading screen the bar gets about a quater of the way and then the Cryptic Error:Oops Shows Up!

As I have shown in my logs, it clearly states the connection is idle for too long. I know what steps need to be taken to fix this, :( I just don't know how to do it. :(
    All I need to do is add more time to it so that it gives my connection a chance to respond.

If you get what I mean!
  • geobmcpgeobmcp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Are any of you using TeamViewer by chance? If so, disable or uninstall it as it will cause STO to crash. If you aren't using TeamViewer, post up the last few lines of C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\error.log for me?

Closed Team Viewer and it for me. Thanks.

Why might this be a problem? Conflicting ports maybe?
  • aranhiamaranhiam Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    WELL Well well... It seems I'm not the only one having this problem... you wanna know what's causing the problem well here I go again:

This is what I posted on another post
    "I've been having problems with Star Trek Online lately its dew to the latest updates with Season 11.5 game crashes on login screen.
    Funny thing is after an update was patched the crashes stopped. But than a new patch was updated and yet again I was in the crashzone. And here I am at square 1.
    The thing is I found out why it was crashing - it appears that there are 2(two) files causing this problem. Unfortunately I dunno which fines... How do I know that there are 2(two) files causing this problem - lemme take you on a small journey to the space to tell you my sad tale. I had to download Steam cuz I read in the forums that steam can see the problem by verifying if all files are legit and if there are damaged once it replaces them.
    SO I verified the game through steam (had to download the game again cuz I was using Arc) and steam popped up a message saying you have 2 files which are damaged. Steam replaces those files and VUALA all's well ends well.
    BUT THAN The Cryptic Launcher Patches those files back with the broken once AGAIN and BAM!!! Back to square 1... and into a never ending circle...
    So this problem only could be fixed if someone of the developers bothers to check the content of their patching update."

Also some of you might have notice an error message when logging in, about ArcChat.exe...
    Its really annoying I don't even use arc chat, yet I get a message about missing dll... Why the hell would I care about the damn thing when I don't use it!? And why isn't there an option to deactivate it!? So it could stop bother me...

so I say yet again: Help me! Arczibit - Pimp My Game!
  • aranhiamaranhiam Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Old bug terrorizing from the past... The Ghost Bugs are back! Whom are we gonna call~
  • peterchekovskypeterchekovsky Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Hello guys. I`m having a similar problem quite often the last days. I havent played ST-online since the new "Temporal Front"-Update was released. Already before this Update came out i had a lot of "Cryptic-Error crashes, this without an included error-report (window empty). Since I updated the Game to the latest Season I get already a cryptic error before the Game is even launched partly, or definately then when the "Crpytic"-Loadscreen is on half. Everytime the same, I already deinstalled and reinstalled it. My System it a Dual Core AMD Athlo (3Ghz each) with 3 GB Ram and an ATI HD5450 (bought this year) + Windows XP. Before the patch i could get ingame and play, although it crashed from time to time, i could play, now i dont even get to the characters menue. Could someone please try to help me, would be very kindly.
  • duntyrduntyr Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I never update my graphics card drivers. every time I do the game client crashes. Force verify, on demand patching, deleting the Hog file never fixes it. The only thing that works is sticking with the old drivers. So that's what I do. Maybe somebody who is more savvy with computers knows a fix, if so let me know please.
  • malkavian3108malkavian3108 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    > @peterchekovsky said:
    > Hello guys. I`m having a similar problem quite often the last days. I havent played ST-online since the new "Temporal Front"-Update was released. Already before this Update came out i had a lot of "Cryptic-Error crashes, this without an included error-report (window empty). Since I updated the Game to the latest Season I get already a cryptic error before the Game is even launched partly, or definately then when the "Crpytic"-Loadscreen is on half. Everytime the same, I already deinstalled and reinstalled it. My System it a Dual Core AMD Athlo (3Ghz each) with 3 GB Ram and an ATI HD5450 (bought this year) + Windows XP. Before the patch i could get ingame and play, although it crashed from time to time, i could play, now i dont even get to the characters menue. Could someone please try to help me, would be very kindly.

I'm having the same problem with the exception that I get a good load after a shard or update,, but after my first crash or log out it all goes pear shaped again with crypitic error crashes. I have used -d3d11Enable and -useSM20 command codes, which work periodically but don't work for long.