test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 5 Dev Blog #41

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Yeah... this was... someone had fun with the foundry for a couple of hours and slapped it in as a regular mission?
    edited April 2012
    So... what? I mean really?

I dread to think of what happens to the dev who made this if he or she ever watches or even reads real horror...
    Or even Bonnie-kin...

And I didn't expect an hour of mission or so... but that was far to short by even the lowest standards I can apply here...
    Brigadoom wrote:
    /sidethought: does wearing an EVA suit work?

Either I was really fast the second time I tried it (the minigame itself, not the mission, died the first time because I didn't realised the damage) or yes it does work.
    edited April 2012
    The Sibak Doff says it reduces the cooldown on psionic powers by 15%, but also says afterward "Reduces recharge time by 15%." Does that mean it also reduces all ground power cooldowns by 15% or is it just a typo?
    edited April 2012
    Ok so its only available on Friday 13th BUT it have a cooldown of a DAY?

Good thing we have so much content on this game already ...
    edited April 2012
    Hmm, well I kind of feel dumb now. Thought I could restart the mission by leaving and re-entering, but no success. Couldn't get back in and now I'm out an accolade. Oh well, guess I'll see it in July. But from all I've seen here, looks like I'm not missing anything.
    edited April 2012
    Such a huge let down!!!
    What a crappy delivery.

They set it up so nice.
    Drummed up as a dev blog.
    Open it with a neat trap (good thing I had the hazmat suit in the backpack).
    Talk about Fibonacci (I thought here I'm gonna have some fun kiddi math entering half the series as an entry code - NOPE).
    All this...for what? for nothing.
    5 minutes nub-dungeon blitz-through.
    I could've ran around with tsukase-whatever blades and just yawned at it all.

No sci-fi.
    No horror.
    A tweet about questionable morals.

And then it was all over.

...I barely got to move my head around to see what's in there.

YAWN.

VERY MAJORLY DISAPPOINTING CRYPTIC!!!!!

:(

As high the expectations, as deep the fall.
    Then subsequent body slam into the ground as the sudden stop arrives. 3Gs squeeze machine.
    edited April 2012
    I absolutely agree with you sir ^^^

I honestly wouldn't be so angry if it weren't done so poorly at the same time a new lockbox with loads of quality stuff comes out. :(
    edited April 2012
    Meh, i'll be too busy playing TOR seeing its Legacy 1.2 patch was added today.....
    edited April 2012
    Yeah... this was... someone had fun with the foundry for a couple of hours and slapped it in as a regular mission?

Pretty much. Do you really need anything more though?

Internet logic will tell you that this set the next featured series back several months but to the more reasonable mind it's just something nice to throw out there and the mission reward wasn't bad at all either. Personally this is just what I needed after loosing a few million credits to a couple of master keys and some Ferengi lock boxes (the irony!)

If they locked us in one of the rooms for a bit and played with the lights I think it would have fulfilled it's spookey objective better but hey, I had fun. You don't see too many psionic enemies so basing a couple skirmishes on them was a welcome change.
    edited April 2012
    It was lamer then it was creepy.. but thanks for the doff though.. :)
    edited April 2012
    So, let me get this straight..

The KDF , consistently, constantly, asks for additional content.. Most of us asking for basic leveling content, simple Storyline PvE missions, akin to the non-revamped Fed leveling content.. things a talented Foundry Author could whip up in a week..

Not for missions with mini-games, or voice-overs, or cut-scenes, or special gear rewards (level-appropriate basic things like most Fed leveling content rewards are fine).. Basic, but permanent, KDF content..

And, instead, you spend development time and resources making overblown, overcomplicated, new-tech-heavy monstrosities (Alpha) and lock boxes virtually nobody wants, and temporary "pretty for the sake of being pretty" places (like Utopia Planetia)..??

:confused:

In Star Trek: The Next Generation, they introduced the concept of the ships counselor, an individual responsible for the mental well-being of the crew. I think we need a "Counselor" (professional Psychiatrist) in the Cryptic offices, because you people obviously need "help".

:mad:
    The angry forum posts, dropping player population, and shrinking revenue will continue until Development Priorities improve.
    edited April 2012
    What a waste of time, even if it was a (very, very, very) short amount of time.
    edited April 2012
    Katic wrote: »
    The angry forum posts, dropping player population, and growing revenue will continue until Development Priorities improve.

I agree with your post except for the last line. Sorry to have to fix it for you :(
    We are now well and truly playing an arcade game run by Ferengi - literally.

... this is not Star Trek any more in my books
    edited April 2012
    jkstocbr wrote:
    I agree with your post except for the last line. Sorry to have to fix it for you :(
    We are now well and truly playing an arcade game run by Ferengi - literally.

... this is not Star Trek any more in my books

The Christmas lock Boxes did well (people didn't know what the game was), the Cardassian boxes less so (people knew what was up and many were disillusioned by the bug Debacle), and I doubt the Ferengi Lock Boxes will do better (the jig is up, so to speak, everyone knows how much of a rip-off they are) than the Cardassian Lock Boxes...

To paraphrase a line from another IP: The harder they squeeze, the more revenue will slip through their fingers.
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6
    edited April 2012
    dstahl wrote: »
    p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

Well either the crystal drop rate need to be drastically increased, or the crystal shop prices need to be drastically reduced. The only thing that was even worth the time I wasted looking in the store was the bridge officer, and I for one am not going to spend $337.50 - $375 for the crystals necessary to purchase it.

As for the "set" items: Really? You're really asking $675 - $750 for the whole thing?
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if we could use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event, that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be out-sourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

I want to preface this by saying that if the Mission content in Season 6 is KDF leveling content, then you can disregard the rest of this post.

Dan (you've yet to confirm I may call you Dan), you know I can get.. Er.. Passionate.. So please forgive me if I've come across as disrespectful, but surely you can see how this kind of thing can be frustrating?

A Dev will spend his/her spare time making a Friday the 13th mission, but basic KDF leveling content (of low, non-revamp quality) is for some reason untouchable (or somehow not worth a Devs spare time)? The one KDF mission we do get is a tech-heavy, "pretty for the sake of being pretty" bottle story unconnected to the wider war effort or Imperial Politics (and thus no hope of it being a continuation of the story arcs thus far)?

Dan, come on, we know you can do better, we've seen it in the past, before PWE came into the picture. Weren't they supposed to give you the resources to fulfill all those longstanding desires for the KDF?
    edited April 2012
    Matri wrote: »
    Well either the crystal drop rate need to be drastically increased, or the crystal shop prices need to be drastically reduced. The only thing that was even worth the time I wasted looking in the store was the bridge officer, and I for one am not going to spend $337.50 - $375 for the crystals necessary to purchase it.

As for the "set" items: Really? You're really asking $675 - $750 for the whole thing?

Some other fixes ...
    • Make Keys drop 5 for every 10 boxes (impatient players cna buy them).
    • Make keys and boxes Bind on pickup.
    • Replace Crystals with GPL, bump the item cost to 250k GPL each novelty item
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Holy shnikies!!!! Do you just drop an *** load of hints about season 6 or was that TRIBBLE already known!?!?!?!?
    If not... that's gonna be some pod cast news...lol :eek:
    edited April 2012

I believe part of the frustration, stems from the seemingly overuse of the "lockboxes", as well as producing mission content that can be either hit or miss. The latest FE arc had it's share of both great moments, and bad moments. I'd say if I had to rank the series according to the past 3 FE arcs, i'd probably position "The 2800" as 2nd. The Romulan FE last year were most definitely the best overall mission arc.

Thing is, the Friday the 13th episode seemed to be building up towards something "interesting", and then... suddenly nothing. Mission over, here's your reward. I suppose I was a bit disappointed, since I rather enjoyed the Halloween-themed episode 'What Lies Beneath'.

It would be most appreciated if more "items" and "ships" would be produced that can be placed in the actual ship requisitions store, and purchasable for Dilithium. Past several months, we've seen 3 different ships via "grab bags"; D'Kora Class, Jem Hadar Fighter, and Cardassian Galor. In that same time, 2 ships were released to C-Store; Odyssey, and Bortas (although you guys might consider these to be 6 ships, they utilize only TWO models).

Pre-F2P, you had several of the "default" ships available for simple credits. Post-F2P, all of those ships that once sold for credits, converted to the Dilithium standard that Cryptic seems to favor these days. STO is "crying out" for additional Credit Sinks, so I quite frankly don't understand the decision to remove the "credit option" from buying ships.
    edited April 2012
    Murdering all those innocent clones isn't very Star Trek... although little in this game is beyond appearances.

It's a fun little mission, very atmospheric and nicely short, and I would like to thank the person who made it. Sorry you're getting crapped on by the forums for giving us what we want.

And what we want, Dan, for the record, is MORE MISSIONS. Take some of that lockbox money and give us more episodes to play.
    edited April 2012

What you are getting out on the forums right now, is largely a response to the new lockboxes and continued Master Key sales. That negativity spills over into other topics, and cannot be helped. Attempting to defend someone, while probably justified, is the incorrect action to take.

Rather, you should attempt to communicate with your fan base regarding the real reason for the negativity, and figure out if you are going to continue to generate that by changing nothing, or attempt to understand and mitigate the root cause for it - that people feel they are being ripped off on a continual basis. When 95% or more of the community on the forums reacts badly to recent events, you can be sure that is a reasonable cross-section of players, and represents a true issue.
    edited April 2012

Let me just say, criticism of a mission should be expected. And secondly, when your in a game that has a massive content problem and a lot of the players are angry about something released the day prior and you release such a disappointing mission, you have to expect this kind of thing. I did not like it and i stated why and how it could be improved in another thread.

Also, ya'll pumped it up too much i think.

I will say while you have a point with some of those. Several mentioned things are fixes or imo not very good.

Given Cryptics history with promises, I'll believe that stuff when its released.

I think thats opinionated. We've gotten a few more missions, but mostly its been fixes and low qualtiy quick stuff.

I will say it was hyped a bit too much. And labeling it an event seemed excessive.

I think people get this from how much high quality stuff is going into lockboxes but we aren't getting too much high quality stuff elsewhere. (Quality is an opinion).

I will end off by saying this should be taken as an oppurtunity to gain valuable feedback about how people view ya'll, how change should be made to improve, etc.

From my perspective, ya'll seem a little like my forum sig. {Edited: Forum Sig was removed} Because it seems like Cryptic is around to make as much money as possible and use smoke and mirrors to accomplish it. I, honestly, used to view you quite highly, I don't anymore I'm sad to say. Too many broken promises. Are these all your fault, maybe, maybe not.

The big issue is lack of response to feedback. Constantly, Cryptic tends to make choices, the fans say what they think, then Cryptic ignores it, and fans get upset.

Regardless of the past, the future should be re-evaluated or this is just gonna pop up again and again. :(
    edited April 2012
    from the newest Blog:

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3068

When I read this:
    Sometimes exploration of new ideas and new technologies leads to dark places.

... I thought for a few second that Cryptic had realized how the community felt about the Grab-bags and was going to promise that this was the last time...

Then I read on.
    edited April 2012
    I quite like the idea of having liittle missions like that pop up, even better if they tell a story that is expanded upon later. I don't see why there is so much NERD RAGE about it. Thats all it is, spoilt kiddies throwing dummies out of prams. to the dev that made the mish, Dont let the buggers grind you down, and thanks for the funky blue doff!

I do think the overly high cost of lock box keys is giving a lot of players short fuses. :D
    edited April 2012
    Yes, the mission was short... but to be fair; it was described as a "mini-mission." With Drake involved, you can't tell me there aren't hooks for a follow-up in there. I sincerely hope we get one, and thanks to the dev who took his own time out to make it.

I would say something about people not being happy with anything Cryptic/PWE do these days, but I don't feel like getting moderated. Instead, I'll say again to DStahl and Nameless-Dev-Person; thank you. :)
    edited April 2012
    telesin wrote:
    What you are getting out on the forums right now, is largely a response to the new lockboxes and continued Master Key sales. That negativity spills over into other topics, and cannot be helped. Attempting to defend someone, while probably justified, is the incorrect action to take.

Rather, you should attempt to communicate with your fan base regarding the real reason for the negativity, and figure out if you are going to continue to generate that by changing nothing, or attempt to understand and mitigate the root cause for it - that people feel they are being ripped off on a continual basis. When 95% or more of the community on the forums reacts badly to recent events, you can be sure that is a reasonable cross-section of players, and represents a true issue.

This. Basically. Why does this topic about the F13 mini-mission only warrant a post but not ALL of the other ones about the lockboxes and the Loci Crystal store? You want people to stop the bile in various threads, well, then start addressing that particular topic instead.
    edited April 2012
    short and sweet, with maybe the only reflex puzzle in the entire game? if you didn't have a medic or the hazmat suit, it was a race against the clock to solve the puzzle before the gas kills you. good use of environment being a danger and not an npc with a gun for once.

special little mini missions poping up like this is cool, you could even feature foundry episodes along with dev spare time missions.
    edited April 2012
    I quite like the idea of having liittle missions like that pop up, even better if they tell a story that is expanded upon later. I don't see why there is so much NERD RAGE about it. Thats all it is, spoilt kiddies throwing dummies out of prams. to the dev that made the mish, Dont let the buggers grind you down, and thanks for the funky blue doff!

Nobody has a problem with the mission itself, per se. What everybody has a problem with is the hype generated towards the mission and, coupled with the time that was available to spend on the mission (two weeks), we get this.

If it was a surprise announcement like, say, it showing up unexpectedly with the patch, nobody would bat an eye on the blandness of it. As it is, two weeks of hype for a "spare time" developed mission?
    edited April 2012
    Well I will say this, quick mission. But I really like the new soundtrack that was added.

But as for the scary aspect.........well sorry to say that did not deliver. Especially compared to the Third Devidian Episode, now that mission can still cause some reaction even after all this time.

Perhaps if the clones came out of a dark room with flickering lights?

And nice new rewards, a Psionic Lirpa? Nice!

And a DOFF that boosts Psionic powers, not much use but it's the thought that counts.