test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Away teams

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Ten Forward
Anyone know why in ST they let the important people running the ship go on away missions? It doesn't make any sense to have the most important person on the ship go down into hostile territory.

Devs: why cant we just send like some of the bridge crew other than the captain down?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Because on the shows the Captain always went down. Standard operating procedure.

Besides, you see the issues the other bridge officers have. Would you stake the safety of the Federation on THOSE guys?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Always follow the rule: follow the money.

In the original which set up the whole thing; they had very limited payroll; thus they could only afford to have one set of actors that you saw all the time regardless of how many were on the ship; also; the audience bonds with the characters they see all the time; thus if you ran it like the military would, the show would have had much less general audience appeal; it was the 60's after all; having the captian enjoy the charms of many women and spock hip to music and the like were all in fashion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ravenstein wrote: »
    Because on the shows the Captain always went down. Standard operating procedure.

Not really. Maybe in TOS and ENT, but not in TNG and onwards.

Standard procedure was that the Captain's place was on the Bridge.

Of course, if the Captain didn't ever leave the bridge that would make things dull, and as a result this rule was broken every so often.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, that always drove me NUTS in TOS. It seemed so... illogical.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, that always drove me NUTS in TOS. It seemed so... illogical.

it drives me nuts as well and I don't know why would the Devs continue to follow this trend. I would perfer to have my Captain choose to stay on the ship once in awhile and then send number 1 with security to investigate.

If number 1 gets killed or captured you can send the captain to kick some tail...

...or get some tail when theres female orions present.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Look, the sad fact is that I barely trust my away team members to not shoot me or themselves with the phasers I have given them. No way am I trusting them to disarm a bomb or talk to someone on the ground.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think it might have something to do with what we were talking about in that topic a while back where everyone in the Federation besides the main cast are either incompetent, corrupt or a jerk. Would you really trust someone like that to fight a Gorn with no shirt on?