test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Console Gaming Discussion

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Ten Forward
I think we can all have a friendly discussion on console gaming.

So.. PS3, XBox, Wii?

Do you still play an older system?

Or do you think console gaming as a whole is a waste of time?

Personally i've always been a Nintendo man myself. Only exceptions being that I had a Sega Game Gear instead of the Game Boy, and I have briefly had Playstation 1 & 2 in my possesion.

My main systems now though are the Wii and XBox. I've had my Wii for like 2 year, and have over 50 games for it. I've had my XBox for...under a month and have like 4-5 games I picked up all at once.

I really do enjoy console gaming as a whole, but I refuse to spend money on a PS3 when it's essentially a system that has different versions of XBox games and can play Blu Rays, which I also think are a waste of time but that's anoteher discussion.

So that's my piece. What's yours?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm primarily a PS3 and PC gamer these days, but I also have a DS, Wii and PS2..

I don't really have a specific platform preference, though I do like the PS3's blu-ray features.. the Abrams Trek movie looks rather spiffy in HD... Ultimately I just go with whatever happens to entertain me at the time..

Here is my PS3 trophycard... if anyone else out these uses PSN..
    http://ps3trophycard.com/profile/lilravegirl
    edited January 2010
    Xbox 360.
    The wiis fun, and ok, but really it gets old and there aren't many good games on it besides Animal crossing, the legend of zelda and maybe a few silly games. we still have our wii, mostly for that Wii point store and all the older games on it =)

occasionally i'll break out the SNES or Dreamcast (which has the BESTTT games!) and will play on it. but it really depends on my mood.

i prefer the xbox 360 because i can get alot of games on it that i couldn't get on the PC because i don't have the specs for it on most computers. (I have to play STO on my brothers computer.) my personal favorite is Bioshock & assassins creed =) both very good game series imo.

I've never had a PS3, although we did debate getting one but we got a blu-ray from a relative for x-mas. And ooooh boy does Star trek and the dark knight look nice on it ; )
    edited January 2010
    I have a xbox 360 and PS3 and a nintendo dsi. I love both the 360 and ps3 for different reasons. bluray player is awsome in hd. and ps3 has some games that the 360 doesn't that I like. Other then that I usually try to find out what game is better for what system.
    edited January 2010
    This will not end well.

With that being said...
    So.. PS3, XBox, Wii?

I have a PS3 and a 360, alongside my 630 XPS.
    Do you still play an older system?

If I had my SNES still, I would be rockin' some old school RPGs.
    Or do you think console gaming as a whole is a waste of time?

I think the "who is better than who" argument is a waste of time. Gaming itself can be fruitful, especially in those really long, hard work days where you just need to unwind.
    So that's my piece. What's yours?

I've been gaming for as long as I can remember. Equally as long has been my desire to be a developer. I've had an NES, SNES, PSone, 2 and now 3 along with an xbox (which my daughter now has), a 360, DS and PSP. I used to play nothing but RPGs but as I've grown older, I've found games like NCAA 10 and Madden especially entertaining. I enjoy FPS shooters (I'm a Halo junkie), simulation games (Simcity 4 is ftw), strategy games (Romance of the Three Kingdoms) among others.

Lately I've been craving some space shooters, much like Project Sylpheed but more epic, like Wing Commander or Xwing/Tie Fighter. However, with work and grad school at full steam, I really only have time to raid on WoW and do a few quests on STO. One day, I keep telling myself.
    edited January 2010
    Xbox 360.
    The wiis fun, and ok, but really it gets old and there aren't many good games on it besides Animal crossing, the legend of zelda and maybe a few silly games. we still have our wii, mostly for that Wii point store and all the older games on it =)

occasionally i'll break out the SNES or Dreamcast (which has the BESTTT games!) and will play on it. but it really depends on my mood.

i prefer the xbox 360 because i can get alot of games on it that i couldn't get on the PC because i don't have the specs for it on most computers. (I have to play STO on my brothers computer.) my personal favorite is Bioshock & assassins creed =) both very good game series imo.

I've never had a PS3, although we did debate getting one but we got a blu-ray from a relative for x-mas. And ooooh boy does Star trek and the dark knight look nice on it ; )

Well first off I'd like to correct you on your point that "there arent' many good games" on the Wii. You of course have the obvious ones; Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, you know, the usual ones that people will bring up in an argument.

But what about the Metroid Prime Trilogy game? What about No More Heroes 1 & 2, Tenchu: Shadow Assasins, House of The Dead: Overkill, Excitebots: Trick Racing, MadWorld, Rune Factory Frontier, Endless Ocean, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, The Conduit? People think the Wii doesn't have good games because the market is overcrowded with those "Imagine" titles for girls under 5 years old and the countless mini-game compilations that have been *****d out.

The Wii Shop Channel is good for the older games, I'll agree with you there. But have you checked the WiiWare side of it? You got Contra Rebirth, Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth, Final Fantasy: The After Years, Swords & Soldiers, World of Goo; there's lots of goodness to be found there as well.

I got an XBox for the same reason you did. Usually some games will come out for the PC and for the XBox, but you can't play them on the PC without a godly computer. I asked my Mom to get me GTA IV for the PC for Christmas of 2008 and I couldn't play it cause my PC isn't that good (plays STO and WoW fine though).
    edited January 2010
    I'm actually mainly a console gamer. The only thing I ever play on PC are strategy games (Total War FTW) and the occassional MMO like STO.

Of the current systems? PS3 but all my friends have 360s so I end up playing that more so I can play with them.

Older systems? You bet. I like to think of myself as something of a collector. Right now I've got my Genesis (complete with 32X and Sega CD), a Sega Saturn, and an Atari 2600 plugged into my TV. I've got my original Nintendo (parents bought it for me when I was 5) and I've replaced the connector pin so it works like new. I love playing classic games. Although I'm not very good at a lot of them =(
    edited January 2010
    Losbullitt wrote: »
    This will not end well.

With that being said...

I have a PS3 and a 360, alongside my 630 XPS.

If I had my SNES still, I would be rockin' some old school RPGs.

I think the "who is better than who" argument is a waste of time. Gaming itself can be fruitful, especially in those really long, hard work days where you just need to unwind.

I've been gaming for as long as I can remember. Equally as long has been my desire to be a developer. I've had an NES, SNES, PSone, 2 and now 3 along with an xbox (which my daughter now has), a 360, DS and PSP. I used to play nothing but RPGs but as I've grown older, I've found games like NCAA 10 and Madden especially entertaining. I enjoy FPS shooters (I'm a Halo junkie), simulation games (Simcity 4 is ftw), strategy games (Romance of the Three Kingdoms) among others.

Lately I've been craving some space shooters, much like Project Sylpheed but more epic, like Wing Commander or Xwing/Tie Fighter. However, with work and grad school at full steam, I really only have time to raid on WoW and do a few quests on STO. One day, I keep telling myself.

Agreed, I'd be rocking the old school RPGs on the SNES as well. Some of my faves were on there. Breath of Fire I & II, FF 2/FF4, FF5, FF3/6, Chrono Trigger, and others.

And yes gaming can be fruitful when you need to unwind. But I know there are people out there who think video games in general are a waste of time, and some just prefer PC gaming and don't think console gaming will last.

Myself I've had an NES, SNES, Game Gear, N64, Gamecube, the Wii and most recently an XBox 360 and DS Lite. (DSi FTL) I did have a used PSone but it expired and I've borrowed my girlfriend's PS2 on some occasions.

I was always a junkie for RPGs or anything with RPG elements to it. I like FPS but I've never really played Halo so I don't know the big fuss over it. I bought Halo 3: ODST to play with my buddies but the single player is kinda "Meh" to me. You can't go wrong though with a good ol' fashioned beat 'em up (i.e. Final Fight, Knights of The Round, Double Dragon)
    edited February 2010
    No one else have any thoughts/comments, etc?
    edited February 2010
    I have a Wii that I love. Got for Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and The Twilight Princess (both highly recommended) and am now playing through Mario Brothers Wii.

I want to get a 360 because there are a couple exclusive titles for that system I want, but that is a pretty low priority.

I have a PS2 that I get a lot of use out of, but no plans for a PS3 yet.

And I have a DS.

But I use my PC more then any system.
    edited February 2010
    Still got my PS2, and use it almost every day. Also have a Super Nintendo with a slightly cracked housing (still works though) aaaaaand a fully functional Turbografix16.

:cool:
    edited February 2010
    I'm a 360 guy. I have a PS3 and Wii but they barely get any use. The Wii has almost no good games. I get all my multi platform games on the 360 and there are almost no PS3 exclusives that interest me. Although I will get Heavy Rain next month.
    edited February 2010
    My DS is my baby. It's all about the Pokemon. New games come out March 14th. Ohhh man!
    edited February 2010
    PS3 represent!

I also have a bad-TRIBBLE computer. TRIBBLE the 360! It breaks too easy and microsoft should be punished for their bad design.
    edited February 2010
    I have...

Nintedo:
    Original NES, Original SNES, NES/SNES combo, Gameboy (original, pocket, color, DX, DS), 64, Gamecube, Wii

Sega:
    Genesis, CD, Dreamcast

Sony:
    PS1, PSX, PS2, PS3, PSP

Misc:
    MAME Arcade Machine, Mame Countertop Arcade

Play every one of them at least once a month. My solution to the console war, is just get them all. :)

<3 my arcade machines