Install Arc
Options

Xbox 360 Controller Keybinds

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    goban wrote:
    I'm actually getting the same thing when using the 360 controller. Space combat works great, but on the ground my guy stutters forward. Looks like they fixed one thing and broke another.

Me too, also when I try to back up it hates it unless I rebind it every time I beam down.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Raymond, can you post a list of cammands you used to bind your controller for those of us who really suck at this sort of thing?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    threeinone wrote: »
    Hey guys. I had the controller all set up and working great for my ground combat but after todays launch my movment on the left thumb stick is not working right. I had left it as default. The game picked it up and work great. now when I try to move its all most like lag. My guy studders forward. If I try to bind it, backwards wont work and turning isnt right. Any ideas? Thanks

yeah, movement will work by default, but I found it to be oddly sporadic. (sometimes on, sometimes off) you will need to map movement to the stick in your keybindings menu. simply select the slot for secondary bind for each direction and push on the stick to correspond. (this is one of the few binds the menu will recognize without a /bind command line in the chat window!)

AN IMPORTANT NOTE:
    back is currently bugged, and mapping it will actually make you stutter forward! (does for me, anyway) best to leave it unmapped for now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thasic wrote:
    Raymond, can you post a list of cammands you used to bind your controller for those of us who really suck at this sort of thing?

TRIBBLE I was totally supposed to do that last night and spaced. will upload tonight, 2/3/10.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks you rock. will save me houres of fiddling with it..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Google Xpadder.

You can assign keyboard controls to the controller as opposed to binding them through the game.
    It's also incredibly customizable to the point where you can hurt your brain, but if you stick with standard key assignment it's very simple and straight forward.

Something to use for now until the control scheme is tweaked to perfection in the coming months.

Just like to remind everyone that the game is still, technically, in it's playable developing stages. It'll be a solid year, year-and-a-half before all the glitches are worked out and the team can focus more thoroughly on graphical and interface improvements, server lag/load and eventually expansion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lyniaer wrote: »
    Google Xpadder.

You can assign keyboard controls to the controller as opposed to binding them through the game.
    It's also incredibly customizable to the point where you can hurt your brain, but if you stick with standard key assignment it's very simple and straight forward.

Something to use for now until the control scheme is tweaked to perfection in the coming months.

Just like to remind everyone that the game is still, technically, in it's playable developing stages. It'll be a solid year, year-and-a-half before all the glitches are worked out and the team can focus more thoroughly on graphical and interface improvements, server lag/load and eventually expansion.

I do have xpadder installed and have attempted to use it with STO, but due to STO partially working with the 360 controller by default, the controller tends to be finicky IMO when using xpadder with the game. Mainly I have issues with the camera. Xpadder does work great for most any other game that doesn't have some sort of native joypad support.

I'm not faulting the game or the devs, as it was a nice surprise that they slipped in native Xbox 360 control just before going live as it made space combat much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    doesn't xpadder cost money? I've heard that it's pretty great, but I was looking for a zero cost solution, so I bound everything using console commands.

I got the setup I want, and it only cost me a tiny piece of my soul as I spent 6 hours learning how to do it! And The up-side is that I'm giving it away for free now! (hey, wait a minute...)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hell, I already owned Xpadder from a long time ago. I just updated it for the sake of Windows 7 support because I haven't used it in a while. People who donated, apparently, get the updates for free after the developer guy started charging for it.

Anyway, yes, I've just now noticed this. There are some things already bound to the 360 controller, but apparently it's up to us to figure out just what they are? I have learned that Left Trigger + A = Power #7... O_o
    Would've been nice had the Devs actually given us the 360 controller layout. Perhaps they did and I just haven't found it yet?

I'll be patient for now... Hopefully they straighten it out in the very next update.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lyniaer wrote: »
    There are some things already bound to the 360 controller, but apparently it's up to us to figure out just what they are? I have learned that Left Trigger + A = Power #7... O_o

there are some auto defaults preset, (like joy7+joy8 (left trigger + right trigger) is interact cursor) but ALL of them can be mapped over. I'll be uploading my /bin files shortly...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Okay, folks here are the xbox 360 controller keybind files I promised! instructions below.

installing
    1. copy the files into C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live
    2. IN GAME use the chat window and type: /bind_load_file <filename>
    3. repeat for the second set of bindings (space/ground)

VIOLA!

IMPORTANT NOTES!
    - jpegs of the layout are near the beginning of this thread! look them over. the space binds seem a little crazy at first glance but play really well (IMO)

- I have changed joy4 (in on right stick) to be "switch to target follow camera" instead of equalize shields (found I liked the target follow cam once in battle and never really needed to equalize shields)

- for this binding set to work, you must have "free camera" chosen from the pull down menu in the options. default is "follow target" and it will lock the right stick (camera in my binds) if you do not make this switch.

- finally, depending on how you have your power trays set up, the face buttons might not activate the officers as I have them listed in the image. fiddle with the placement to set them right. Hell, they're your /bind files now, customize them any way you want...

Many thanks to Ko and others who started this thread and helped me understand the mapping process enough to slam this together. ENJOY!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thank you very much, Ray!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A quick bump for anyone hitting the front page.

feel free to comment or post suggestions to the binds. (they are a work in progress)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just wanted to throw some love the OPs way. I used your OB thread and loved it, but didn't get a chance to express my gratitude before the game went live and the forum locked. Thank you for re-posting this. This will be great for the newbies to have and great to have for future reference. And yes, this thread should deffinitly be stickied!

Oh and a quick question for you guys. When you do a /bind_save_file, where exactly does it save to? Is it different than a /bind_save?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    /bind_save_file needs to be followed by the name of the file you wish it to create.

/bind_save_file LefthandGround.txt would create a file with the key changes for me to play with the numberic keypad. That text file is created in the /Live folder.

/bind_save seems to me the same as manually changing the controls in the game, and specific to that one character.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I want to thank you for the fantastic work you've all done mapping for STO. I just picked up my PC Wireless Gamign Receiver today, ready to take on STO from the couch, and find that the device isn't being properly recognized by Vista x64. It knows what it is, but claims it can't find the proper driver on the cd that came with the product.

I have been unable to find the proper driver online so far.

Is seems like you have it working. Can you help me?

Rock the weekend!

Hutch
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    would love to help, but I'm running a rocksteady copy of XP sp3...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Great work guys thanks!

One issue - I keep getting some chat spam when I move the thumbsticks:

Unknown Command "(null)".

Any thoughts as to what's causing that?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Foobarz wrote:
    Great work guys thanks!

One issue - I keep getting some chat spam when I move the thumbsticks:

Unknown Command "(null)".

Any thoughts as to what's causing that?

yeah, I had them mapped to something else originally, and when I cleared and changed it, it replaced it with "(null)" in the /bind file. not sure why it did that, or why I cant get it to stop. consider that something I'm ironing out...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bumpity bump bump. Bumpity bump bump.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah, I had them mapped to something else originally, and when I cleared and changed it, it replaced it with "(null)" in the /bind file. not sure why it did that, or why I cant get it to stop. consider that something I'm ironing out...

either delete the line with "null" in it completely or replace "null" with ""
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OP, you are a god among mortals :p

Awesome thread - and thanks and grats go to Raymond.Makowski also for the Key bind files - you just saved me tons of work lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thankyou very much, this is fantastic! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I went ahead and removed the buttons that had the (Null) from the bind.txt and the messages stopped after I reloaded them. I was getting the spam the most because of the joysticks. I went ahead and changed the BO triggers as well because on my scientist toon I got 3 Sci officers.

I used these lines instead

Joy10 +TrayExecByTray 2 2
    Joy12 +TrayExecByTray 2 1
    Joy11 +TrayExecByTray 2 0
    Joy10+Joy7 +TrayExecByTray 1 2
    Joy11+Joy7 +TrayExecByTray 1 0
    Joy12+Joy7 +TrayExecByTray 1 1
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    excellent work. Can't figure out why deleting the lines wasn't working for me...

I'll try jadel's suggestion of using an empty command prompt and see if it kills the right stick spam for me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Indeed, I turned "(null)" to "" in all of the lines that had it. Error went away.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have a question, not sure if it has been addressed yet. The /bind command automatically binds each command to bind#1. Is there any way to bind them to bind#2 so that mouse and keyboard commands are left intact? Also, is there a way to just invert the Y axis for camera look on the controller only, not the mouse?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sovek wrote: »
    Is there any way to bind them to bind#2 so that mouse and keyboard commands are left intact? Also, is there a way to just invert the Y axis for camera look on the controller only, not the mouse?
    Not that I have discovered.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    is anyone having trouble with the character stuttering when trying to move in combat? Its like my feet are glued to the ground, am I doing something wrong or .... (obviously when using the xbox controller)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Darn. I was hoping there was a way to at least squelch the message.
This discussion has been closed.