test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

opinions on half-bajoran, half-cardassian

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Ten Forward
I was thinking about her bio:

She is either:

A Dominion War orphan of a Cardassian officer and his Bajoran mate. Both parents killed at the end of the war. Raised by a starfleet family who adopted her from Cardassia Prime during its rebuilding.

Or:

Raised during the rebuilding by a Bajoran missionary helping to rebuild Cardassia and a Cardassian woman who fell in love. They told her stories of the war and the occupation and the federation's involvement. She grew up to enter starfleet and become a medic like her Mother.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I think it would be very difficult for the Federation during the rebuilding phase if bajorans were present. There was a deep seeded hatred between the two species and there would be resistence.

War Orphans are possible and would probably be more excepted by 2409, but not immediately following the War.
    edited January 2010
    If you read the new lore it kind of says the bajoran and cardassians made peace after what occured with the dominion.
    edited January 2010
    Maybe Governments and leaders, but prejudices don't just go away and immediately after the war they wouldn't have just forgive and forget overnight.
    edited January 2010
    It's been at least 2 generations since then. Like World War 2 in the real world, the grandchildren of the people involved probably don't think much about it.
    edited January 2010
    Yeah and Kira who was once a prominant member of the resistence did kind of go to the aid of the cardassians and grew to respect, especially Damar and a lesser extent garrak.
    edited January 2010
    "Accepted."
    edited January 2010
    I'm not saying that it couldn't happen...what I'm saying is the overall attitude of the people who had been raised to hate the other wouldn't just change overnight.

Garrack and Damar are exceptions to the rule. They fought next to Kira, trained with Kira, Slept, Ate, Hid, and faced the same dangers as she did...Those close to the situation would have been accepting following the war. Yet how long would it take them to change the overall attitude of the people in general??
    edited January 2010
    She would be a cool character. Either bio seems like it would work. Nice creativitity!
    edited January 2010
    Tamakai wrote: »
    It's been at least 2 generations since then. Like World War 2 in the real world, the grandchildren of the people involved probably don't think much about it.

And yet Japanese schools continue to teach that the U.S. was responsible for Pearl Harbor and Grand Parents tell their Grand children of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

I was stationed in Japan and fellow Soldiers had a hard time teaching their kids the American version of those incidents.
    edited January 2010
    Wasn't there an episode when a Bajoran brought up a Cardassian girl?

Seriously think of it this way you could compare it to the relationship between Jewish people and Germans today. They don't blame the Germans they know they had nothing to do with it but theres still a hint of hate which will never go away.

Its the same for the Bajorans, they blame those directly responsibly but not the cardassian people. Of course there is always an undercurrent of tension but they now live with in. There's plenty of proof to support this as well as the new lore which adds to it.
    edited January 2010
    And yet Japanese schools continue to teach that the U.S. was responsible for Pearl Harbor and Grand Parents tell their Grand children of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

I was stationed in Japan and fellow Soldiers had a hard time teaching their kids the American version of those incidents.

I lived in Japan for two years. I met a girl who was my Sister Scout, through Girl Scouts. We were friends for a long time, even after I left Japan.
    edited January 2010

Yet Americans still claim the british were tyranical when infact it was just they didn't want to pay taxes and infact tried to avoid it and when one ship was caught for avoiding taxes (whose owner was a certain john hancock) they said they were being repressed...

As well as modern day americans claiming they beat the british when in fact it was just a british civil war and even then they rebels only won because of the french.

I mean it happens in all societies, people choose to teach their people what to believe but we don't know what bajorans and cardassians teach their kids about the war.
    edited January 2010
    I could see a half-Cardassian / half-Bajoran result of soldiers' multiple liaisons with indentured / captured "Comfort Women". After the war, Starfleet Officers fell in love with the victimized/marginalized Bajoran women. Like many of the "TMP-Era/Lost Years" orphans, they were discarded and ignored by locals that didn't want/need the perpetual reminder much like the Korean/Vietnamese "Dirt Children" of the 1960's/1970's. Children frequently bought/sold as domestics and f***-toys.

The U.F.P. got involved with reparations for their participation in the Cardassian Conflict on worlds that were handed back to The Cardassian Union. Part of which was the melodramatic improvement of these childrens' general welfare. The Detapa Council, among other governments made diplomatic ovations toward these goals. Conscription into village "child army" militias, Relocations and adoptions by next of kin were common. Orphanages were built, sanctuaries that were run by the elder "Dirt Children" that were legally of-age, skilled enough to support themselves, and/or didn't want to relocate off-world.

A new generation dedicated to preserving what little the Dominion, Borg and others among their own respective peoples couldn't take from them now walk the halls of the Bajoran Temples and Cardassian capital cities, praying and working together for a better tomorrow.

Hell's-Gate Station (once known as Empok Nor,) is their Unity Station.
    edited January 2010
    I never said it wasn't possible. In fact by 2409 I believe it is quite probable this would take place. My argument was depending on the timeline for the persons character would dictate the plausibility.

If it were immediately following the Dominion War, The general populous, the government, the leaders that were Cardassian would denounce them (unofficially of course). It would take the younger generation to accept the orphans and half breeds to break the generations of hatred and prejudice. That is all I was stating.