test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why am I re downloading STo Beta from steam?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
So like everyone else I had everything downloaded from steam and was playing today then left to run errands. I read steam is makng eveyrone re download the retail game but it is just re downloading STO Beta.

In my Steam games list it says Star Trek Online Beta. WTH is steam making me re download beta?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Why not ask Steam itself? that's your best chance. You should make them aware of this issue.
    edited January 2010
    TheMove wrote: »
    So like everyone else I had everything downloaded from steam and was playing today then left to run errands. I read steam is makng eveyrone re download the retail game but it is just re downloading STO Beta.

In my Steam games list it says Star Trek Online Beta. WTH is steam making me re download beta?

Hmm. Let me think on it.

1) Because your really special and they like you?
    2) Because Steam messed up?

Take your pick.
    edited January 2010
    DraigUK wrote: »
    Hmm. Let me think on it.

1) Because your really special and they like you?
    2) Because Steam messed up?

Take your pick.

I want both!

Can I still be special if steam messed up?
    edited January 2010
    Why not just update straight from Cryptic?

Is that not an option with steam or something?
    edited January 2010
    Shouldnt I be downloading Star Trek Online and not beta all over again? Isnt this the reason it removed it and started over to begin with?
    edited January 2010
    I'm glad there aren't already 50 million posts about this. Thanks for making another one. It's not like I come to the forums to actually read new, interesting discussions.
    edited January 2010
    Shouldnt I be downloading Star Trek Online and not beat all over again? Isnt this the reason it removed it and started over to ebgin with?

It should have just patched your beta client.
    edited January 2010
    Zorac wrote:
    Why not just update straight from Cryptic?

Is that not an option with steam or something?

Yes it is, but Steam downloaded the entire game a second time, not just an update or patch. Downloading the game files themselves is only available through Steam.

Edit: the above only applies IF you ordered through Steam. Stating the obvious here, I know, just trying to avoid confusion.
    edited January 2010

Because Cryptic released a patch Steam does not like other things updating its stuff and guessed that the data was damaged thus wiping it all for the greater good or something

and is now giving you the proper version without the patch what caused this.
    edited January 2010
    I have all the files there.. on my hard drive.. Physical size was almost 8 gigs.. the client I used for open beta.. I can still browse the folder.. check the allocation.. its all there.. Why exactly is the launcher downloading the entire client again? Meh lol.. I wish someone from Cryptic would comment.. say something.. let us know this was to be expected without warning.. etc.. :) 18.4% now! lol Looks like redundancy at its finest! :rolleyes:
    edited January 2010
    Im sorry to flood the forums, but this is a big issue for me and many others and blame crapy Cryptic for all these posts since they are to blame for it.

No reason I want to sit and wait for my STO to download then delete its self then re download and repeat this awful process.

This is a nightmare. The only reason I bought it from steam is because I trusted them the most.
    edited January 2010
    Im sorry to flood the forums, but this is a big issue for me and many others and blame crapy Cryptic for all these posts since they are to blame for it.

No reason I want to sit and wait for my STO to download then delete its self then re download and repeat this awful process.

This is a nightmare. The only reason I bought it from steam is because I trusted them the most.

Lol how is Cryptic is to be blamed for it? i have direct2drive digital edition and i patched my client fine. Problem is with STEAM and not Cryptic. If it was Cryptic's fault i would be forced to download 8 gb all over again.
    edited January 2010
    mickeyx wrote:
    Why not ask Steam itself? that's your best chance. You should make them aware of this issue.

I don't think steam has a phone number, you have to fill out a ticket which takes 24-48 hrs. So its useless or I would be on th ephone *****ing about it asap.
    edited January 2010
    Strombonni wrote:
    I'm glad there aren't already 50 million posts about this. Thanks for making another one. It's not like I come to the forums to actually read new, interesting discussions.

I see your posts all over the place and your always trying to be a forum cop
    If ya don't want to read it don't click on it. DUH! You, move on.
    edited January 2010
    Johenric wrote: »
    I see your posts all over the place and your always trying to be a forum cop
    If ya don't want to read it don't click on it. DUH! You, move on.

Theres like 3 topics about this problem and steam lol. Its probly one of the biggest problems with the game right now so just be thankful your not dealing with it.
    edited January 2010
    so is this happening to everyone who tries to launch STO from Steam or are we just like you said, "Special." and is there a way to avoid it?
This discussion has been closed.