test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My first attempt at MMO

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello, long-time TNG fan, first time MMO player. Well, I take that back, I tried to play EVE when my Rainbow 6 clan decided to go MMO and I just couldn't make the transition. I did like the serenity though.

Anyway, I'm at work and have nothing better to do than get excited to play the game so here I am.

I have no idea how to play the game or what the point is except to fly around in a cool ship I can customize.

Sounds good to me LOL
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Sounds good, though I would recommend to try and get a lot of information from in game speaking to other players. The forums here have yet to mature into a stable source of good information.

Also there are a lot of fan sites that are showing up with solid information on gameplay and mechanics.

Actually its better to learn most everything in game. You start of childlike at first, but you'll find you create stronger bond with the game that way.
    edited January 2010
    Welcome!

If you need help, I suggest you check this excellent starting guide.

Enjoy~
    edited January 2010
    Hello, long-time TNG fan, first time MMO player. Well, I take that back, I tried to play EVE when my Rainbow 6 clan decided to go MMO and I just couldn't make the transition. I did like the serenity though.

Anyway, I'm at work and have nothing better to do than get excited to play the game so here I am.

I have no idea how to play the game or what the point is except to fly around in a cool ship I can customize.

Sounds good to me LOL

Don't get too excited. There isn't much to get excited about.
    This game is not ready for launch, not by a longshot. Cryptic will be making you pay for betatesting at this point.
    The fanbois will argue, but deep down, they all know it's true.
    And it's really too bad you're a star trek fan, you won't find much in the way of a "Star Trek" atmosphere in this game....:(
    edited January 2010
    The point of mmos is to gain power to make yourself feel superior to the people around you.

Power is obtained by doing repetitive tasks which raise a number. There are usualy various sorts of numbers which exist in various mmos, some are common and some are uncommon.

More abstract numbers include things like number of friends or number of people who've heard of you, both of which can be exploited for more immediate power. Of course knowlege is also power, but most people assume you dont know what you are talking about unless you have other forms of power to flaunt in which case you do not need knowledge, so its a rare thing to find in mmos.

More common things include various forms of currency (this game has 5 by conservative measure and if you count every individual kind of anomaly over a dozen, in fact i think there are more forms of currency in this game than there are things to buy!). Levels and skill points and high quality gear makes you more powerful. These are the most obvious and thus get the least words typed about them.

Does this sound boring/complicated/monotonous/painful? Fear not! In days of old MMOs where true tests of ones warrior spirit! Requiring intense focus and dedication. Skill and talent could only take you so far, you needed the sheer force of will to keep grinding day and night for years straight in order to reach true power! But those days are long past! These days even a little baby could play an mmo! So come and play STO, play for a month or two and get bored, then anticipate the next mmo release! This is then way of things now.
    edited January 2010

Sounds good to me LOL

Get ready for a 10gb download
    edited January 2010
    Gunfugue wrote:
    The point of mmos is to gain power to make yourself feel superior to the people around you.

Power is obtained by doing repetitive tasks which raise a number. There are usualy various sorts of numbers which exist in various mmos, some are common and some are uncommon.

More abstract numbers include things like number of friends or number of people who've heard of you, both of which can be exploited for more immediate power. Of course knowlege is also power, but most people assume you dont know what you are talking about unless you have other forms of power to flaunt in which case you do not need knowledge, so its a rare thing to find in mmos.

More common things include various forms of currency (this game has 5 by conservative measure and if you count every individual kind of anomaly over a dozen, in fact i think there are more forms of currency in this game than there are things to buy!). Levels and skill points and high quality gear makes you more powerful. These are the most obvious and thus get the least words typed about them.

Does this sound boring/complicated/monotonous/painful? Fear not! In days of old MMOs where true tests of ones warrior spirit! Requiring intense focus and dedication. Skill and talent could only take you so far, you needed the sheer force of will to keep grinding day and night for years straight in order to reach true power! But those days are long past! These days even a little baby could play an mmo! So come and play STO, play for a month or two and get bored, then anticipate the next mmo release! This is then way of things now.

Awesome. HAHAHA, yeah, I think I get the gist of it. I'm all in. Let's just hope my fiance allows such blasphemy.

She might prefer me cursing at the TV screen while I watch the Golden State Warriors fail miserably every game.

Thanks again everyone for your input. I'm gonna leave work early and see what all the pros and cons are about.
This discussion has been closed.