test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Force AA on ATI HW?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Has anyone found a way to force AA on ATI cards yet? The Catalyst Control Panel setting has no effect.

I am going to try CrossFire Xtension v1.4 when the servers come back up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Read somewhere that AA disabled for ATI cards is a known problem and will be worked on. I wouldn't worry about forcing it and to be honest I don't see the jaggies in this game like some others. I'll wait instead of trying to force the setting.
    edited January 2010
    Gillysan wrote:
    Read somewhere that AA disabled for ATI cards is a known problem and will be worked on. I wouldn't worry about forcing it and to be honest I don't see the jaggies in this game like some others. I'll wait instead of trying to force the setting.

It was posted in the patch notes that it was disabled to prevent anomalies... anomalies that no one has ever seen or heard of.

Its not going to break the servers or my computer to try to force it, so there is no real downside to trying :P If it did end up causing problems, the worst case scenario would be that I would need to disable it... makes no sense!
    edited January 2010
    skylr616 wrote: »
    It was posted in the patch notes that it was disabled to prevent anomalies... anomalies that no one has ever seen or heard of.

Its not going to break the servers or my computer to try to force it, so there is no real downside to trying :P
    I saw them in closed beta. White squares filling the screen so you couldn't see anything else. It was pretty bad.
    edited January 2010
    Bigknees wrote: »
    I saw them in closed beta. White squares filling the screen so you couldn't see anything else. It was pretty bad.

Then it should be disabled by default and maybe a pop-up warning when being enabled... can always change it back if it gives us trouble. I've seen more than a few folks from CB post that AA worked fine for them on ATI HW.

If anyone has found a way, I'd be interested :D
    edited January 2010
    skylr616 wrote: »
    Then it should be disabled by default and maybe a pop-up warning when being enabled... can always change it back if it gives us trouble. I've seen more than a few folks from CB post that AA worked fine for them on ATI HW.

If anyone has found a way, I'd be interested :D
    AA was hit or miss. It caused crashing, Visual artifacts, or it was perfect. I was one of the few it was "perfect" for, but to be honest, I don't like AA really...

This saves cryptic the trouble of dealing with people who don't pay attention to the warnings of AA being broken.
    edited January 2010
    ADVANCED USER WARNING

Someone with an NVidia graphics card with AA maxed, post the content of their \star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\gameprefs.prefs file while the game is running.

You'll have to launch STO (even just at the character login screen), then alt+tab out. The contents of the .prefs file changes after you launch the game.

You should be able to alter the advanced settings and flag the file as read only to sneak past the AA check. There are also some settings in here you cant tweak IG if you're interested in really fine-tuning your graphics & settings.

Some intrepid modders might as well start tweaking here and posting their bug reports / findings as well. I'm sure Tweak-Guides will have a comprehensive walkthrough on getting the best performance out of STO, and what some of these settings mean a month or so after launch anyway.
    edited January 2010
    I feel I should point out that AA in CoH has been broken for years. Don't get your hopes up about this particular bug being fixed, I think its a problem with the most basic code in their generic game engine.
    edited January 2010
    carterhawk wrote: »
    I feel I should point out that AA in CoH has been broken for years. Don't get your hopes up about this particular bug being fixed, I think its a problem with the most basic code in their generic game engine.

That better not be the case. I WILL NOT buy into the monthly subscription if they don't fix this issue. I didn't pay 60 bucks for the game and the likely 15 a month for a game without 100% functionality.
    edited January 2010

It was working perfectly in beta until they added new effects
    edited January 2010
    This saves cryptic the trouble of dealing with people who don't pay attention to the warnings of AA being broken.

What is the point of a Beta if not to gather more information about an issue? That is, unless they don't really have any intention of fixing the problem and/or know it can't be fixed.

I want to be a Beta Tester... its shocking, I know. :cool:
    edited January 2010
    ADVANCED USER WARNING

Someone with an NVidia graphics card with AA maxed, post the content of their \star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\gameprefs.prefs file while the game is running.

You'll have to launch STO (even just at the character login screen), then alt+tab out. The contents of the .prefs file changes after you launch the game.

You should be able to alter the advanced settings and flag the file as read only to sneak past the AA check. There are also some settings in here you cant tweak IG if you're interested in really fine-tuning your graphics & settings.

Some intrepid modders might as well start tweaking here and posting their bug reports / findings as well. I'm sure Tweak-Guides will have a comprehensive walkthrough on getting the best performance out of STO, and what some of these settings mean a month or so after launch anyway.

Good stuff, I will check it out!
    edited January 2010
    They definitely need to fix this TRIBBLE as soon as possible. Even at 1920x1080 ress, I'm still seeing jagged edges on everything. It's very irritating when you're running a badass 23" HD Samsung with two HD 4890 Radeons, and 6 gigs of DDR3 Triple Channel, rounded off with a Core i7 Proc. No other ground-breaking visually intense games I've played on this system have given me problems with FSAA enabled on 8x or 16x with 32x sampling, so if this one is, now's the time to fix it.

No one wants to play a game that looks like TRIBBLE when their system can handle superior-looking games.
    edited January 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:
    They definitely need to fix this TRIBBLE as soon as possible. Even at 1920x1080 ress, I'm still seeing jagged edges on everything. It's very irritating when you're running a badass 23" HD Samsung with two HD 4890 Radeons, and 6 gigs of DDR3 Triple Channel, rounded off with a Core i7 Proc. No other ground-breaking visually intense games I've played on this system have given me problems with FSAA enabled on 8x or 16x with 32x sampling, so if this one is, now's the time to fix it.

No one wants to play a game that looks like TRIBBLE when their system can handle superior-looking games.

I have to agree, there is a need for cryptic to support AA on AMD cards. Based on the tool tip, I thought initially that this game was a NVIDIA supported game, and did not support AA for that reason.
    edited January 2010

Entirely different engine, entirely different company (the current Cryptic is NOTHING like the guys behind CoX), and entirely different developers/coders.

As was stated - it was fully disabled due to it causing serious bugs (like crashing, rebooting, and major visual artifacts). It was disabled at the same time in CO as well (due to it sharing game engines). In theory, it'll be back soon.