test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game pauses/hesitates while walking around

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
As I walk around the game is pausing or hesitating as I go - happens whether I am playing fullscreen windowed (5040x1050) or windowed mode - down as small as 800x600ish sized. I've tried disabling all graphics features, to the point where the game looks like TRIBBLE but runs at 115FPS at the 5040 resolution and higher in windowed. Still hesitates. Any thoughts?

I7920, 6G mem, GTX285/195.62 drivers, on Win7 fresh install
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    This is called 'rubber-banding', and is caused by the lag.
    edited January 2010
    Ok. Doesn't look like any lag I've seen before - it's not repositioning me or anything. Just a quarter-second freeze of the game as I move around. Still rubber-banding, you think?
    edited January 2010
    schaar wrote:
    Ok. Doesn't look like any lag I've seen before - it's not repositioning me or anything. Just a quarter-second freeze of the game as I move around. Still rubber-banding, you think?

A consistent 1/4 'pause' would not be rubber-banding. Rubber-banding is when you try to move forward, then warp back a few steps.

Is this 'pause' coming at consistent intervals?

You say when this happens you pause, do other things around you do the same?

Does this happen in space or the ground or both?

WAIT WHAT? 5040x1050

I assume you mean 1680?
    edited January 2010
    it's not consistent intervals - if I stand still it doesn't happen.

I haven't tried in space yet - just started the game, noticed it immediately. I have been running around in the room across the hall from the med bay - the one with the forcefield holding back the Borg, just trying to determine if there's any sort of visual effect that causes it to happen, I haven't found a correlation yet.

I have a Matrox Triplehead2go driving three monitors at 1680x1050 each. Combined res is 5040x1050. I play WoW (which doesn't load the video card at all) and Fallen Earth (which does) at that resolution, neither has the hesitation.
    edited January 2010
    Which graphics card and driver version are you using. because the latest drivers seem to have a problem with STO. It's a known issue and ati and nvidia are already working on a hotfix.
    edited January 2010
    Try the nVidia 190.62 drivers - many of the newest nVidia cards have this issue (myself included) with anything later than these drivers. A lot of people reverted to this driver and the issue was fixed - myself included (I have a GTX 260).
    edited January 2010
    Ok, I'll try going back to 190.62. I'm on 195.62 at the moment.
    edited January 2010
    That just sounds like very poor FPS. I'd say tedgp123 has the right idea.

I had the exact same problem last night (2x Radeon 4780 in Crossfire)... after a PC reboot everything was fine.
    edited January 2010
    skylr616 wrote: »
    That just sounds like very poor FPS. I'd say tedgp123 has the right idea.

I had the exact same problem last night (2x Radeon 4780 in Crossfire)... after a PC reboot everything was fine.

wasn't fps - as I said with the video options all the way down my fps was 110+, was still happening. Installing 190.62 drivers now.