test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Studios Hires Bill Roper (November 3, 2008)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Los Gatos, CA – November 3, 2008 – Cryptic Studios™, one of the leading independent developers of massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs), announced today that Bill Roper has joined the company as Design Director and will be working on Champions Online™.

“Bill brings a ton of creative energy to the Cryptic office and we’re thrilled to have him join our team,” said John Needham, Chief Executive Officer for Cryptic Studios. “His years of gaming and online experience are huge assets to all of our projects, and Bill will assist us in furthering our studio’s vision to create innovative, exciting MMO gameplay.”

“Cryptic has experienced huge growth over the past year and has exciting opportunities ahead of it,” said Bill Roper, Design Director, Cryptic Studios. “The company knows how to choose compelling IPs that have rich histories such as Champions and Star Trek. I’m looking forward to working with the team.”

As a 14-year game industry veteran, Roper has worked directly on numerous top selling titles, including the Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo series. He joined Blizzard Entertainment in 1994 to work in sound, music and voiceover, eventually being appointed as Vice President of Blizzard North and a Director of Blizzard Entertainment where he managed all external projects and coordinated internal development teams. In 2003, Roper co-founded Flagship Studios and Ping0 where he held the role of CEO for five years and oversaw the launch of Hellgate: London and development of Mythos.

Cryptic Studios, headquartered in Los Gatos, is currently in production of two highly anticipated MMO action games, Champions Online and Star Trek® Online. Champions Online, based on the popular Champions™ pen-and-paper RPG and published by 2K Games, will give players the power of total customization for their hero experience while they explore a vast comic book universe. Set in the year 2409, Star Trek Online will allow players to immerse themselves in the future of the Star Trek universe, exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations in an ever expanding vast universe.

For more information about Cryptic Studios, please log onto www.crypticstudios.com

About Cryptic Studios

Cryptic Studios, Inc., based in Los Gatos, CA, and established in July 2000, is one of the leading independent developers of massively multiplayer online games. Cryptic is developing three major titles for the PC and current generation consoles, including Star Trek Online, Champions Online and an unannounced project. Cryptic Studios is an independent, employee-owned company committed to delivering the next level of MMOG gameplay. For more information on Cryptic Studios, please visit www.crypticstudios.com

Champions, Champions Online, and Cryptic Studios are trademarks of Cryptic Studios, Inc.
STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of CBS Studios Inc and used with permission.
Other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

# # #
MEDIA CONTACT:
Tracie Snitker
Reverb Communications
209-586-1495 x104
tracie@reverbinc.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Cool, the Blizzard games are nothing less than magical in how awesome they were. I can't wait to play the sequels, if this guy had anything to do with the originals, he is ok in my book.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oooohhhh... I wonder how they stole him from Blizzard?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Don't care if he's not working on STO. I want STO. ;(
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    LordDave wrote: »
    oooohhhh... I wonder how they stole him from Blizzard?

Because he wasn't at Blizzard, he was at the studio that made Hellgate: London and since that game is shutting down, well I am sure he became available.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    who ? why are you telling us ? lol

Ooh, I hired a new janitor today too.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Uhm... yeah, like some others said: if he's not working on STO... why should we care?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    -
    - I was hoping to see, in the article, that it would free-up some people that are currently on 'chanpions' to get them to concentrate on startrek-online, lol :p
    -
    -
    -
    Someone wrote: »
    Don't care if he's not working on STO. I want STO. ;(
    edited November 2008
    Well he could be transfering to STO after Champions Online is released. Other than that this information holds no interest for me.
    Its more a frightening thought considering what happend to Hellbeta Online
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Is he going to have any input for STO? I know it mentioned that he is working on Champions, is this just advertisement. Please inform us on how this effects STO?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I am sure he will help to speed things along quit nicely.... anything to speed up STO..:eek: the pain the pain. must.......have....sto........:eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Did you honestly expect anyone to not go " so how does this affect STO" in there own words

How does this affect STO anway?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bern wrote: »
    -
    - I was hoping to see, in the article, that it would free-up some people that are currently on 'chanpions' to get them to concentrate on startrek-online, lol :p
    -
    -
    -

That's what I took from the article. Also once Champions goes live we get 100% of the staff giving attention to STO. Regardless any experienced addition to the "Cryptic staff" helps Cryptic as a whole, which in turn benefits Cryptic projects...
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    A lot of members probably didnt consider or care about secondary effects, too much effort to think about me thinks:D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Crux wrote: »
    That's what I took from the article. Also once Champions goes live we get 100% of the staff giving attention to STO. Regardless any experienced addition to the "Cryptic staff" helps Cryptic as a whole, which in turn benefits Cryptic projects...

We hope...It's good they have someone so experienced, but I really don't ever plan to play Champions, so this really doesn't make me happy or sad...lol
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Even if this news doesn't specifically pertain to Star Trek Online, this is nevertheless great news for Cryptic Studios! Congratulations!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I ate some Halloween candy today.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't see how this affects STO at all. Are you guys just trying to post any sort of news to keep us happy? I'd love a timeline update...
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    this is a "STAR TREK ONLINE" webite and forum....we'd like star trek updates rather than the usual rap u give us like meet the team, one answer to ten questions intervws and TRIBBLE this dam goat! :mad:
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    njdss4 wrote: »
    I don't see how this affects STO at all. Are you guys just trying to post any sort of news to keep us happy? I'd love a timeline update...

which theyre late on by the way.....weekly timeline updates as said in gameinformer. They just lie to people so they can make us think we"re getting something way better than what we really are. a s s
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BAHHH! THIS IS A TREAVESTY! THIS IS AN OUTRAGEEEEEEEEEEEE!:mad:
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    wow, who would ever had thunk that flames and forum trolls could unite into a scary force?!

SO, GRATZ cyptic on the "aquisition". would LOVE to hear some updates on the game, and on how this "aquisition" will affect this game.

even if all you can say is we've done some testing and have found a number of bugs but we're making this game freakin awesome for you guys :p

OR

we played the game, and want to keep it for ourselves until we reach skill level 100 so we can uberPWN the lot of youes!

yeah. im going to go back and play my "other" game now and let you guys do what needs to be done..

TTFN
    -boydy
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    whoa!...a tough crowd...I have a feeling I am surrounded by Klingons.

But, I have to admit, I thought the same thing...What does this have to do with STO? I am sure this is good for Cryptic...and hopefully has some effect on STO.

But I am scratching my head on this news.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Them putting this message on the STO website is a subliminal message that Screams "We are going to finish this other game first!!!! YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR STO"
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Super_Goku wrote: »
    Them putting this message on the STO website is a subliminal message that Screams "We are going to finish this other game first!!!! YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR STO"

Wow exactly what I was thinking. I'm really glad Ive been spending my time on Atlantica Online and that I have Star Wars The Old Republic to fall back on if this game fails.

The natives are seeming very restless. Perhaps some kind of update wouldn't hurt.

I would also like to know how this guy coming aboard helps STO....if it doesn't then I really don't care.

Wether you realize it or not you are competing with SWTOR. Personally these are the last 2 MMOs I intend to try as they are the 2 IPs that really interest me. If STO and SWTOR fail or are just bad Ill be taking a break from MMOs for a while.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great welcome aboard, oh wait did the last two posts answer the bulk of the questions.......answer NO.
    There were so many questions asked and unanswered, I have to admit I was disappointed guys! Lets stay on task and talk STO, the other projects are important, but not as significant as STO.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i want to download this game but i don't know where . can anybody help me?:p
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i want to download this game but i don't know where . can anybody help me?:p

The game aint ut yet fool. Cryptic must not want us to play it with them lol
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great that he is on board, but mainly he is working on Champions. So once Champions goes live, will he move over to STO? If someone asked this alway my BAD. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lets just hope he forgets anything from Hellgate: London before they let him set foot in the door. Man did that game suck something fierce.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bad_Boy wrote: »
    this is a "STAR TREK ONLINE" webite and forum....we'd like star trek updates rather than the usual rap u give us like meet the team, one answer to ten questions intervws and TRIBBLE this dam goat! :mad:

NOOOO... Don't TRIBBLE the goat... I did that once in a AD&D game and the DM killed me off from a very nasty case of VD! I learned that is never a good idea. ;) Oh and what does this have to do with STO again? :rolleyes:

Bren