test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Interview with Craig Zinkievich at Allakhazam.com! (October 24, 2008)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    That was a good interview got some nice info about the game.
    time travel missions, older style ships. hand to hand fighting, tech info and communications insite.
    looks like there heading in the right direction with this game. :cool:
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Best answer I've seen to the Kobayashi Maru test -- save the ship, no matter what, ramming speed if you must ...

That's what it means to be Federation; that's what it means to wear the uniform. :D

Thanks for the interview link. I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas, waiting for this game to arrive!

KOS
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Great interview :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The question I most want answered now is in regards to land mounts/vehicles. Will there be any for away missions? I'm sure they'd come in handy..

I am aware there are already several threads discussing this though. I just think it would be a good question to ask in the next interview.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wish they would just leave the Borg and Species 8472 out of the game entirely. All the work they put into those two factions they could put into the Romulans, Cardassians, and Ferangi. That being said, if they insist on shoe horning the Borg into the game, then I want to play as them. Read how here!
    Craig : the player will be hard pressed to identify which content in STO was handcrafted versus the content that software helped us make
    One way to pull that off is to make the handcrafted and procedural work look all the same. I'm just saying.:p
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Slowly but surely STO is starting to take shape.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I see the borg as very playable and so do many other players, thanks for looking into it :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I just can tottaly agree with being said to leave the Borg as playable characters out of the game. Some ppl may want to but I rather see Cardassians & also the Dominion even as NPC or Ferengi PCs what brings me to the point of Bajorans. Further for the topic of the editor makes me understand why. About timetravel ingame for transport to alternate ships is a good idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nothing more on the goat ?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just how factions will be handeld? I mean it to start with Feds and Klingons as it's told can be interpreted in many ways. For the species of the UFP can it mean that all the races will be included.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Another great interview!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    the game sounds excellent cant for it be up and running! when is it due for release anyone know? oh and will it be possible to play it on ps3?
    amazing graphics by the way, i watched the trailer it looks awesome!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    How long must we wait? Bring on the beta testing! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really enjoyed the interview from ship customization, to time travel, to exploration. If they do make Borg a playable race I sure hope they are balanced with the rest of the races we can play.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I enjoyed that they think that you could play as the borg and time travel sounded good as well
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just how factions will be handeld? I mean it to start with Feds and Klingons as it's told can be interpreted in many ways. For the species of the UFP can it mean that all the races will be included.
    Those two factions will have about five main races in the game, as well as the ability to make any race you can come up with using the character creator. It was mentioned in one of the previous interviews
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I hope you guys will be extremely careful if you decide to go the route of Borg PC's. I don't see how you can maintain what the Borg are and still make them a balanced player character. In the shows, the Borg are substantially more difficult to defeat than the already proposed character races. And if the planned "Borg encounters" are going to require massive fleets to overcome, how can a PC in his own Borg cube be a fair matchup with an equally ranked character?

In all honesty, I love Seven of Nine. But what makes her great is her uniqueness. I'm not sure I like the idea of Borg as PC's, but as long as there's a way to maintain their identity and keep them balanced with other races, I'm sure you guys will figure it out. But don't rush on my account :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    First off the interview was great except for the part about the Borg being a playable character.

A Borg cube has no bridge no engineering section and no sickbay so i don't see you having any bridge crew or no need to be an engineer or doctor.

With the Borg your in a collective so how can you be a captain of your own ship when there is no command structure so to speak.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The interview doesn't really add much new information, but it was a nice read.
    I'm especially interested in knowing more about Cryptic's "New World Generator" (my interpretive moniker) and how it will dynamically create new worlds through Player's exploration. I find this very intriguing and would love to know exactly how this will work.
    Time Travel has been a bit overdone in the ST Canon, IMHO, but if it's done in a limited way in the game, I'd be ok with this.
    I personally don't wish to see the Borg as a PC faction. Maybe as one poster mentioned above, as a mini-quest of being assimilated and somehow escaping or being rescued (like 7 of 9), but I wouldn't want to see any kind of added uber skills gained from the experience...otherwise EVERYBODY would seek to be assimilated to gain the same skill. I've seen similar things happen in other MMOs and it's an immersion-breaker.
    Just my take on this interview. Flame away!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thank you for all your great feedback about the interview. As you can see, we're looking forward to Star Trek Online just as much as you are! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Avantos wrote: »
    I don't think being allowed to play as a borg would be overly off-balancing.
    Look at 7 of 9 from Voyager or Hue from The Next Generation.
    I think if they were going to allow PC controlled Borg there ought to be some kind of trade-off. Some kind of stat handicap or something, I mean, 7 of 9 (as a character) wasn't uber by any means. She had some obvious strengths, but some weaknesses.
    How that would relate to a gaming system, I don't know. Again though, if Borg are going to be playable as player controlled characters there would need to be some kind of balancing factor that would have to come into play.

just my opinion though, that and 5 pennies gets you a nickel.

I understand the trepidation a lot of people feel about the Borg...

The way I read it:
    "Craig : We’ve thought about it. There are some daunting design problems, one of which would be how to deal with Borg PCs being part of the Collective. That being said, we’ve had some creative and cool conversations about what it might be like to play as the Borg – so maybe there will be something in the future!"

They've thought about the collective aspect.. and may have nixed that portion of the Borg play... as you already stated.. Seven of Nine, and Hue, were both good characters in the ST Stories... and neither were 'uber.'

As far as trade-offs in using a 'freed' Borg? Well, Seven was 'smarter,' due to the knowledge she was able to retain about species the Borg had encountered, but was also very confused about social interaction.. similar to Vulcans... Hue, was down-right lost initially, then very angry... hurt.. etc. Those would be great 'disadvantages' to add to a character.

If anyone decided to play as a Borg "captain" ... they might have supplemented strength... or higher stamina (not having to return to the recharge unit as frequently as people need to eat, etc.) But, any race they encounter should have VERY mistrusting communications... and that would make things more difficult for the captain to do the "exploration" aspect of the game.. trading would be inhibited.. etc.

Borg, as a faction.. I do not think would be a good idea, for the very valid reasons people have already stated... But a Borg (freed) character, I think could have it's merits.

Personally, I would not want to play a freed Borg... but having a Borg as navigator, or science officer.. or.. doctor.. yeah, I can see the merit in that. And it's not against canon for it to be in game.

We'll have to see how the Dev's decide to play that part out.

- Peace
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thank you for all the constant updates, i like thy way you keep us informed and droooooling over this thing.......caint wait.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't think the Borg are playable as PCs in a game. You might as well be playing the Giant Cornucopia of Doom planet destroyer from TOS the Doomsday Machine. They have no desire to explore, just assimilate.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It all sounds great, can't wait to see who comes back for voice overs. They should bring Worf, Picard, Data, Riker, all of them back. Since time travel will exist It can be made to fit. Plus Data's "brother" is still around I'm guessing, and he may have increased his intellect. Although Mr. Spiner said he is done with Data, perhaps we could persuade him somehow, doubt It but It would be cool.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i think that making the borg as a playebel speceis is a bad idea mostly becaus ONE BORG CAN NOT BE INDEPENDANT.
    They all work as one and i dont think pleyers will like to do evry thing the others do.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Awesome interview. Can't believe I missed it appearing. As ever, not much concrete but still so tantalising :)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    if you remember the end of the TNG time traveling episode Time's arrow,at the end of the episode the left Data's head. well the one they first found. why not travel back take it and put it on Lore's body? or perhaps since data's program was in the ENTERPRISE 1701-E COMPUTER perhaps rewrite lore's program?