test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Meet the Team - Matt Highison (September 30, 2008)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Great bio hope to hail you sometime.Oh ya GREAT picture
    edited October 2008
    I don't have a lot specific to say, for once (that sound you hear is everyone on the forum simultaneously sighing in relief!), but I do read the "Meet The Team" postings, and I enjoy reading them.

The level of Trek love among the game makers, like Matt, is always encouraging ...

Cheers,

KOS
    edited October 2008
    That picture is great, but if I caught my family posting pictures of me in my Star Trek TNG uniform when I was a kid I would pass out from embarassment. Its nice to be among people as crazy as me. Best of luck to you, Matt, and I can't wait until the beta comes out!!!
    edited October 2008
    Learning a lot about the people who make the game, but nothing about the game.... Hmmmm....
    edited October 2008
    how do i play this game,,???
    im so lost..:confused:
    edited October 2008
    fdyke wrote: »
    That picture is great, but if I caught my family posting pictures of me in my Star Trek TNG uniform when I was a kid I would pass out from embarassment. Its nice to be among people as crazy as me. Best of luck to you, Matt, and I can't wait until the beta comes out!!!
    Agreed that was a great picture. :)
    edited October 2008
    I SO hate my job right now! LOL :mad:

Good stuff and nice to see the ones creating the game are fans of the material and it should shine through in the end product.
    edited October 2008
    Learn more about Matt Highison, character artist for Star Trek Online!

Q: Explain what you do on Star Trek Online.
    A: My job is to turn the Awesome up to 11 on the Star Trek Online characters, creatures, and ships.

It was alway said that the Enterprise was treated like a character on Star Trek, so it's fitting that ships be a part of the job for character artists :)
    edited October 2008
    good luck with custimation design thing hopefully it will be super good
    edited October 2008
    As a role player, I am interested in characters. When the ship, crew, bridge officers, and captain are all my creation then I truly feel they are mine. I also agree with the statement of the ship as a character. To create and make my own things and imagine the rest is perfectly OK with me. I may not have a “home planet” for my custom race but that does not mean it does not exist to me.

If the team has time, though, what might be interesting would be to have a “home world generator” as well. When in the race creation screen there can be a few pre-generated world types to choose from. Then there can be a list of options. Things like, green seas or giant crystal structures could create a sense of uniqueness and the players could occasionally get some sort of instance based mission to take them there. This way we get a personal factor to the story and a reason to be more creative without filling the galaxy with extra planets... unless, of course, you want something like that... You could do something similar to Spore there with character content helping you fill out your game!
    edited October 2008
    Glad to see someone who really cares about an IP working on a game. Keep up the good work!
    edited October 2008
    I really hope they include the Anthropomorphic races. For example, the Cat people: I know they're in Star Trek, look at Star Trek V... sure she's not a majorly represented race, but still, I'm sure I'm not the only one that'll enjoy having a Furry Federation character.
    I can't imagine someone'd forget a subculture like Anthro's, Oblivion has Khajits and FFXI has Mithras.
    P.S. Maybe you could squeeze in a Fox race too, if there's room?--and not just because I'm partial to Foxes :D ...but you could probably tell that.
    Anyhow, keep up the good work, I'm really excited!
    edited October 2008
    Will characters have the ability to evolve and change physically. many brave tales can be told of scars earned in battle. Loosing an eye in an assault, embedded pieces of metal, perhaps even a Borg implant. All would be cool game mechanics.
    edited October 2008
    how do i get nto the game and fight
    edited October 2008
    zjford wrote: »
    how do i get nto the game and fight

Just wait till the game is finished, you will understand it then :D

''it would be fun if the federation had a planet and the klingons, or more planets..
    So people can join up in citys or sell, trade etc..'' :rolleyes:
    edited October 2008
    Hey Matt,

Greetings from Germany and nice to have you with us!
    edited October 2008
    we care about the game, not the people who are making it. thats not a real update. every meet the team will ultimately be the same. WE WANT REAL UPDATES!
    edited October 2008
    I wonder how the interview was posted here, without a working mouse pointer... ^^
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the update.

I'd like to know more about the game mechanics, but it is good to know that there is a real fan to put a pretty face on all of it.

I think you're off on your favorites though. City on the Edge of Forever was mine, although the series finale of TNG was good too. Also, Star Trek IV was the best of the movies IMHO.

Please get that game out soon!
    edited October 2008
    J.L.Picard wrote: »
    the alien creation is going to be to STO what the pink haired gnome with 2 pony tails is to WoW A JOKE. you keep going on about "its not a cryptic game if it didnt have cutumisation blahblahblah" CoX had all that and you failed to make the rest of any as good as it should have been. You claim to be ST fans yet you cant wait to shove thousands of new "races" that have no actual planet or history or ANYTHING in that entire universe. Do you not see the Contradiction stop wasting this guys time on making a silly idea into a reality and instead get him to recreate the 150+ Federation races and the same for the Klingons.

P.S. on the Uniform side of things may i recommend that you allow people to pick the Era from which they want the Uniforms e.g. TOS,TNG,Mid DS9/First contact and obviously your own version of future uniforms or just take em from the Voyager episodes.

I couldnt agree more with the uniform customization. It wouldnt make any since to be able to choose the era of design for your ships but not your crews' uniform? :confused:
    edited October 2008
    there are so much post in this STO forum. You cant read so much.. :confused:
    edited October 2008
    Is there a tenative date for the release of STO. I currently play SWG and can't wait for STO. I am a huge Sci-fi fan. I would probably even play BSGO (Battle Star Galactica Online), among others.
    Zerb
    edited October 2008
    Zerberfert wrote: »
    Is there a tenative date for the release of STO. I currently play SWG and can't wait for STO. I am a huge Sci-fi fan. I would probably even play BSGO (Battle Star Galactica Online), among others.
    Zerb

I believe the latest Game Informer article lists a Fall 2009 release.
    edited October 2008
    They already have the engine, artwork and content concepts.

Release date around 9 months away i think.

which is really fast, but they are piggy backing the development effort from Champions to STO.
    edited October 2008
    Loved the interview. Really looking forward to get my hands on this game. :D
    edited October 2008
    9-12 months... *sigh* Talk about delayed gratification! :rolleyes: This game had better be worth the wait.
    edited October 2008
    roguecop wrote: »
    9-12 months... *sigh* Talk about delayed gratification! :rolleyes: This game had better be worth the wait.

would you rather have them rush it and have yet another TRIBBLE ST game???
    edited October 2008
    I wonder if they'll do the ship creator like the old "Star Trek Starship Creator?" I don't know who remembers that but it was used for the Dominion Wars game where you could create your own ship and load it into the game to be built.

It was INCREDIBLY easy to use with a ton of features. Honestly that is what I'll be comparing this iteration to.
    edited October 2008
    Trans-warp conduits,,....oh RLY?.....and was that in your D7 Or in your D12 BOP?

Hab SoSlI' Quch
    edited October 2008
    When do we pick our ships? I am new to this thing. I understand most of it, though. Is this a game you buy or download? Is it even out yet?