test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Meet the Team - Matt Highison (September 30, 2008)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Learn more about Matt Highison, character artist for Star Trek Online!
My job is to turn the Awesome up to 11 on the Star Trek Online characters, creatures, and ships. With the rest of the Character team, I am building upon the amazingly robust costume creator in Champions Online, reworking it for the Star Trek universe, and adding in loads of new customization options designed especially for STO.

Read more here!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Permission to come aboard...
    granted
    :D
    edited September 2008
    Awesome !!
    edited September 2008
    You can't get a more bona fide credential than that Trek con pic.

If any player grouses about the devs not 'getting' Star Trek, just show them that pic.
    edited September 2008
    Heheh, I can just imagine a Dad in the backround cheering "Look out son you got a Borg behind you!"

Good interview Matt, having a person with your style and mentality behind the scenes I can't wait to see what aliens we can come up with. Please go all out for regular human features customization too, lots of different hair styles, (short, long, pony tail, spikey, done up, etc.) heights, weights, the works.
    edited September 2008
    looking forward to seeing the Klingon characters. Forehead ridges or old school no ridges hmmm I wonder.
    edited September 2008
    Whoot for game artists. Hopefully I'll be a pro one soon! :)
    edited September 2008
    Razor wrote:
    Learn more about Matt Highison, character artist for Star Trek Online!

Read more here!

This was so amazingly out of date its not even funny.
    edited September 2008
    as for klingons i hope there will be a wide range of clothing not just the normal uniform
    edited September 2008
    Q: Is there anything you would like to add?
    A: The team working on STO is one of the most talented, intelligent, and passionate groups of people I’ve ever met. We are all such fans of the series that we are taking the care needed to infuse every bit with Trek lore. Star Trek Online is doing things I’ve never seen before in any game, and it should end up being a blast for hardcore Trek fans and casual fans alike.

Awesome Interview!!! I love what I am reading, this is why I am so wanting this game to come out.
    edited September 2008
    You know what's scary... I had/have that exact Riker standup, TNG phaser, and red TNG uniform that looks almost exactly the same as Matt in that old pic of him.

Pre-preteens going to Star Trek conventions in the early 90s for the win!
    edited September 2008
    lol Gotta love the pic! I'll be the first to admit that I have a Trek Costume, and I'm 18. :D (However mine is a little better quality than his) It may be a little dorky, but I don't wear it often enough to warrant total Dorkism...:o
    edited September 2008
    If that's your work in the trailer, good stuff so far. Looking forward to see what you'll have for us come release. :)
    edited September 2008
    Sounds like a great guy who is living the dream. More power to him.
    edited September 2008
    Thank you Razor.
    edited September 2008
    lol Good job
    edited September 2008
    Awesome Interview!!! I love what I am reading, this is why I am so wanting this game to come out.

so u can play with this guy? weirdo
    edited September 2008
    how do i get a ship
    edited September 2008
    om a new guy and im confused
    edited September 2008
    timmy2tone wrote: »
    how do i get a ship

When you first start the game you automatically get a ship.
    edited September 2008
    I personaly like the feature with the 8 of 11 characters by Matt Highison in the interview. The racial or charactical design options seems like a great idea for STO. I can imagine that character creation system which has to be in the begining and during the game. Also I like the typical Star Trek characters idea alike humanoid, race & Star Fleet uniform.
    edited September 2008
    All I can say is.. bad TRIBBLE!!

Thanks for taking the time out of the day to entertain us with your inspirational 'biography'!
    edited October 2008
    the alien creation is going to be to STO what the pink haired gnome with 2 pony tails is to WoW A JOKE. you keep going on about "its not a cryptic game if it didnt have cutumisation blahblahblah" CoX had all that and you failed to make the rest of any as good as it should have been. You claim to be ST fans yet you cant wait to shove thousands of new "races" that have no actual planet or history or ANYTHING in that entire universe. Do you not see the Contradiction stop wasting this guys time on making a silly idea into a reality and instead get him to recreate the 150+ Federation races and the same for the Klingons.

P.S. on the Uniform side of things may i recommend that you allow people to pick the Era from which they want the Uniforms e.g. TOS,TNG,Mid DS9/First contact and obviously your own version of future uniforms or just take em from the Voyager episodes.
    edited October 2008
    Cartoony graphics aside I've not had this much faith in a team to make a custom character tool.
    edited October 2008
    hate to be this guy, but finally. keep the updates coming STO, it is all we've got for the next year lol.
    edited October 2008
    J.L.Picard wrote: »
    the alien creation is going to be to STO what the pink haired gnome with 2 pony tails is to WoW A JOKE. you keep going on about "its not a cryptic game if it didnt have cutumisation blahblahblah" CoX had all that and you failed to make the rest of any as good as it should have been. You claim to be ST fans yet you cant wait to shove thousands of new "races" that have no actual planet or history or ANYTHING in that entire universe. Do you not see the Contradiction stop wasting this guys time on making a silly idea into a reality and instead get him to recreate the 150+ Federation races and the same for the Klingons.

P.S. on the Uniform side of things may i recommend that you allow people to pick the Era from which they want the Uniforms e.g. TOS,TNG,Mid DS9/First contact and obviously your own version of future uniforms or just take em from the Voyager episodes.

You do realize the magnitude of the possibilities this game can have? This is this guys job.. what other amazing things will the other developers bring us? This is but a minute fraction of possibilities and I'm rather excited to see a galaxy, perhaps a universe, filled with diversity. Its the heart and core of what Star Trek stands for. They can go backwards and forwards with content; expand and destroy everything else. The more dynamic a universe this is, the more dynamic my endgame. The more game I get to enjoy the less need for anything else.
    edited October 2008
    Q: What’s on your iPod?
    A: Aus Rotten, Deltron 3030, Greg Graffin, The Coup, Subtitle, anything from the amazing Bay Area collective Anticon, and the Halo 3 soundtrack (Marty McDonnell, one day I'll hook you up with the pint of beer and a sweaty hug you so deserve).

Good someone on this project needed to be listening to Deltron I'm glad they have been found.
    edited October 2008
    Q: What would your dream starship be like?
    A: I would love to command a Klingon Bird-of-Prey, 800m long with the ability to open trans-warp conduits at will, and fire quantum torpedoes while cloaked. Too bad the only action it would be seeing is orbiting around Risa while I’m off on a “ground mission”.
    This is exactly the sort of OP Wesley bs we don't need in STO.
    edited October 2008
    I imagine Risa will be very nice to.. eh hem.. explore. :D
    edited October 2008
    This was very insightful! Thank you for posting this!
    edited October 2008
    :cool:

You know I realy look forward to spent some time orbiting a gas giant, or something like this.