test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO on MMORPG.com (August 22, 2008)

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    You know, the guy in the back- I think he was messing around with a ***** pack that was actually slung under his belly. I kept replaying it to see if he was really moving his junk about, and it looked like he was unsnapping and digging around in a pocket.
    edited August 2008
    Im really looking forward to the game. Its good to know that they are really committed to giving fans a good Star Trek game. Interview was great, look forward to the many to come.

In the webcast at Las Vegas he states that they are reviewing the shows, movies, and even the books, that is what really shows they want to do a good game, instead of just adding to the franchise.

Im really interested in the Alien creation for the game. I wonder if they will release a creation program so that you can start creating your race prior to game launch. Just my thoughts.

"Logic is the process through which all emotional distribution is warranted"
    Cmdr. Tuvlol, Executive Officer
    USS OMEGA
    edited August 2008
    3pmusic wrote: »
    He kind of contradicts himself

"we want to bring star trek to life, I dont want to just create an mmo that just happens to have a star trek skin on it thats somehing that I really want to avoid"

however previously he said...

"we already have an engine, we just slap star trek on it and boom there ya go" or something (not a direct quote).

So To me it sounds like they are tweaking Champions engine to work with star trek, however it will not be as "Technical" as the perpetual game was looking to me.

I just dont want this to be another ST game that fails :( And I am trying to stay positive...

People analyze things way too much in PC games. This is what is killing the games... people are getting so picky that the devs are scared to do anything different without getting slaughtered.
    edited August 2008
    I have to agree, I don't really think he's contradicting himself. Starting off with an engine ready to go has huge advantages. Yes he stated that you could plug ST in and there ya go, but "tweaking" is a pretty light word when it comes down to it. They will have lots of work to do to modify the engine so it fits the games' mechanics.

About the guy in the background, one of the members here got it right that he's wearing a kilt (sorry, I forgot the members name). What he's digging in is a 'sporran'. Since kilts don't have pockets, that's how you carry your "junk". And yes, it's like a man purse. This guy is wearnig a Utilikilt, a non-formal kilt with no clan affiliation. (sorry, just had to clear that up) :)
    edited August 2008
    Very cool, can't wait. I've been waiting for a few years for this to come out. VERY excited!!! :D
    edited August 2008
    I loved the video and I love how Jack makes himself available for these interviews. He's pretty clear cut on what he expects and doesn't expect from the game and keeps it very realistic. Get the basic core stuff done and out then they can add add-ons later. I hope they take their time with game content and additional features. Thats the icing of the cake. The end of the interview was key though, how in the end he doesn't want it to be a mmo with a star trek skin. That shows a lot to their thinking.
    edited August 2008
    Just caught wind of this interview. Good stuff! I like the ship interior and exterior customizability especially.
    edited August 2008
    I just wish space combat was done from inside the bridge.
    edited August 2008
    Well he did sound a bit contratictory in that he said he didnt wana just be a skin but i think they are not dumb enuf to do that. I will agree with some of you that there have been less good startrek gams out there then bad but i think this one will be cool. i am some what afriad however of having to scroll through countess menue screens or being bossed around by guildies with giant ships. that would realy suck.
    edited August 2008
    3pmusic wrote: »
    He kind of contradicts himself

"we want to bring star trek to life, I dont want to just create an mmo that just happens to have a star trek skin on it thats somehing that I really want to avoid"

however previously he said...

"we already have an engine, we just slap star trek on it and boom there ya go" or something (not a direct quote).

So To me it sounds like they are tweaking Champions engine to work with star trek, however it will not be as "Technical" as the perpetual game was looking to me.

I just dont want this to be another ST game that fails :( And I am trying to stay positive...

I think he's responding to two different questions here- in the "slap star trek on it" was in response to how quickly they got game play footage out. And, that's was pretty accurate- they have an engine and to get some quick gameplay footage out all you have to do is slap some skins on it and off you go.

But, he wasn't talking about content. Which is what the first statement you have from him was referring to. That will take more time than creating some skins.
    edited August 2008
    This interview can also be found from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcAn3nhf97Y
    edited August 2008
    Thanking Idolo for the transcript of the interview back on page 6. Good job matey!;)
    edited August 2008
    The interview was great :)
    edited August 2008
    You know the game is going to be great in two reasons:

1. Quote form movie "We aren't going to make a MMO with star trek skin on it"

2. Spock likes it.
    edited August 2008
    You know the game is going to be great in two reasons:

1. Quote form movie "We aren't going to make a MMO with star trek skin on it"

2. Spock likes it.

Plus when your parents are sleeping you can grab their credit card and play ;)
    edited August 2008
    My hats off to Jack and the team. When I see him in these videos and especially on this interview, he comes across as being very matter of fact. It doesn't seem like he is BSing on the game. He gives very straight answers and takes time to think over the question before answering. I bet Jack is probably one of those cool bosses that is easy to work for.

Anyways, thanks to Cryptic for giving us STO and putting up with the rants we post on this forum. :rolleyes:
    edited August 2008
    BlackWolf wrote: »
    Plus when your parents are sleeping you can grab their credit card and play ;)

How did you know;)
    edited August 2008
    I do have comfort in J. Emmert he knows what he's talking about.
    edited August 2008
    Ruthless wrote: »
    I just wish space combat was done from inside the bridge.
    He did say space combat was not going to be like dogfighting, so it won't be like flying an airplane by yourself while trying to shoot down an enemy over hostile skies (space). I can only picture therefore a more tactical approach where there's some display of relative position where you can turn, approach, maneuver, shield, divert power, fire phasers or torpedoes, vent plasma, etc., to progress your combat. You won't need a joystick peripheral to win battles in outer space, which is appropriate to the battle conditions most bridge Captains experience.

Ground combat did sound a lot more action oriented however, so instead of being like most MMOs that come to mind (at least that come to MY mind), it might be more like Age of Conan (which I only know about second hand), perhaps also like Champions (which I know nothing about, really).
    edited August 2008
    i dont feel as nervous now .... i feel good ......... :)

seriously though have you ever seen a trekkie get violent...... not pretty
    edited August 2008
    Ya that was a great interview, very informative. The more i see/hear/read about what you guys have going on over there the mor excited i get for the games release!!:D