test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Read the FAQ (August 12, 2008)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I would like to see a whole community come of this. Star fleet officers down to the lowest rank. I'm not shure I would like to be the Capt. but I would like to give this a try once it comes out. I've watched startrek sence it aired and like the games. Whish it was real.
    edited August 2008
    looking forward to it.
    edited August 2008
    The Star Trek Online presentation in Vegas was just as cryptic.
    edited August 2008
    johnfdees wrote: »
    I would like to see a whole community come of this. Star fleet officers down to the lowest rank. I'm not shure I would like to be the Capt. but I would like to give this a try once it comes out. I've watched startrek sence it aired and like the games. Whish it was real.

Check out Second Fleet in Fleet Registration, the type of community you spoke of is forming there, now.
    edited August 2008
    When do we get a release date? The anticipation is killing me!
    edited August 2008
    Any ETA on another update... I'm restless these days... well untill WAR and Spore come out to keep me busy untill STO. :D
    edited August 2008
    Will you be able to capture a ship and the crew? Cuz nothing would be cooler than bring back a federation ship in tow of a bird of prey with most of its crew. Maybe that could be an alternitive to death... prisoner exchange.
    edited August 2008
    For those out there who don't understand english Mr Emmeert said that his kids will be a year older when the game comes out!!!
    edited August 2008
    This is great can't wait to play this been looking for a game like this for years :)
    edited August 2008
    Rudra wrote: »
    For those out there who don't understand english Mr Emmeert said that his kids will be a year older when the game comes out!!!

got back to the vegas video at 38:13 ish he didn't say that
    edited August 2008
    The whole concept sounds awesome. Good to see a ton of people organising themselves into "fleets" at this (early?) point in development.

The space combat / exploration sounds HUGE. I like it. :)

I just hope the ground combat isn't "click to fight" like in WOW - I know it looks like it will be third person (from the trailer), but if it leans toward a more FPS style I would be happy. BUT, if the combat is real fast with multiple enemies, I guess "click combat" will be ok.

I guess there's not much else to do now but wait.... Thanks for the FAQ. Will lurk & look for more updates in the comming months.
    edited August 2008
    hi my trekkie fellows! :)
    I must say that my dream has finaly become reality :D
    im loking so much forward to ST online, cant wait
    edited August 2008
    but if it leans toward a more FPS style I would be happy. BUT, if the combat is real fast with multiple enemies, I guess "click combat" will be ok

I totaly agree with you , it was excactly what i was thinking, the ground combat should be more like FPS first person shoting view style instead of third person view,
    we want the feel that feels just like we are in the real world invorioment or VR world and by get this feeling like we are in Real life then we shoudl se the ground battle and exploration on the ground from first person view and stear the weapons nand carachers hand like any other FPS games instead , the ground combat should be in first persion view like the one you see in FPS games like the star trek Elite Force game forexample , witch is also one of my favorite ST game :D FPS view gives the perfect feeling that you are inside the game like insid the starship or walking on the along the beach in some distant palnet :D
    so if we should gain the best Reallife feeling that we exploring the invorioment on the ground or shooting enemies or battle klingons with beth'leth on the ground then it should be viewed from FPS view , and NOt from third person view.
    edited August 2008
    if they did FPS it should be like Mass Effects.... Not rewarding twicht control. Plus if alot of people on in ur area it could slow down so that would be useless. Mass Effect FPS was ur accuracy is based on skill points, so being dead on at a far range could still miss.
    edited August 2008
    but if it leans toward a more FPS style I would be happy. BUT, if the combat is real fast with multiple enemies, I guess "click combat" will be ok

I totaly agree with you , it was excactly what i was thinking, the ground combat should be more like FPS first person shoting view style instead of third person view,
    we want the feel that feels just like we are in the real world invorioment or VR world and by get this feeling like we are in Real life then we shoudl se the ground battle and exploration on the ground from first person view and stear the weapons nand carachers hand like any other FPS games instead , the ground combat should be in first persion view like the one you see in FPS games like the star trek Elite Force game forexample , witch is also one of my favorite ST game :D FPS view gives the perfect feeling that you are inside the game like insid the starship or walking on the along the beach in some distant palnet :D
    so if we should gain the best Reallife feeling that we exploring the invorioment on the ground or shooting enemies or battle klingons with beth'leth on the ground then it should be viewed from FPS view , and NOt from third person view.

Some good points, but, now that I think of it - if your going to go to all the trouble of customising the race / look of your character - you want to SEE what the results look like.

You may have misunderstood what meant by :
    I just hope the ground combat isn't "click to fight" like in WOW - I know it looks like it will be third person (from the trailer), but if it leans toward a more FPS style I would be happy. BUT, if the combat is real fast with multiple enemies, I guess "click combat" will be ok.

I just mean more control of your aiming rather than clicking on a specific ememy & waiting till it's dead until you click on the next. (Headshots FTW). MMO games NEED to be in the third person view.
    edited August 2008
    They definately have the space battle simulation thing going in the right direction. The only concern I have with Cryptic Studios is with their ability to truely grasp the nature of Star Trek. I recall what made me stop playing City of Hero's, the worlds were all the same once you got to know them. It became boring as I would find myself going through simliar types of caverns that were only slightly augmented for differentl levels and powering up took forever, characters were predictable and fight scene's were a little over the top when everyone was using their powers, it was redundant and in the end I quit playing, in turn they stopped getting my 14.99 a month.

It will be necessary to simply have the ability to hop in my own ship and travel to the Mutara sector, find someone such as a small Vulcan science vessle doing research and assimliate them. We need to be able to punch in the coordinates to Wolf359 and accelerate to warp 8 if a emergency comes over the com. Captains Chair visuals would be a definate plus. Black holes that flip you into another part of the galaxy would be pretty cool too, but we can only hope the designers think of everything. If they do, they got my $14.99 for life, if it sucks l'll play it for a month or so and wait for the next cool game to come out.

Hopefully they will focus their attention on the actual galaxy and try to mimic our own galaxy into the world of Startrek. They should have each quadrent mapped and the ability to travel in somewhat real time to each quadrent. So if I want to leave Earth and go explore the Delta Quadrent and it takes me only 5 minutes to get there at warp 9, I'm not going to be impressed, not even if I'm piloting a Fusion Cube at transwarp. :rolleyes:

t.
    edited August 2008
    Shades29A wrote: »
    i just read the FAQ, and i found it quite interesting!
    i'm looking forward for more :D

*edit*
    oh, just read the previous post too, and i'm happy to see some ppl still remember Earth & Beyond!
    that was a wonderful MMO, too bad it vanished so soon ...
    if STO goes the way E&B did, i'm sure it'll become a SUPER MMO, one i'll be playing for sure! :D
    and being a CoH/V player, i have high hopes ;)

I loved E&B. I was a baffled by its' 'twilight' as anyone.

As long as Electronic Arts has nothing to do with STO, It's life span will be determined by the player base and developers, and not by some executive who dislikes games and wants to save a penny.

X
    edited August 2008
    It will be necessary to simply have the ability to hop in my own ship and travel to the Mutara sector, find someone such as a small Vulcan science vessle doing research and assimliate them. We need to be able to punch in the coordinates to Wolf359 and accelerate to warp 8 if a emergency comes over the com. Captains Chair visuals would be a definate plus. Black holes that flip you into another part of the galaxy would be pretty cool too, but we can only hope the designers think of everything. If they do, they got my $14.99 for life, if it sucks l'll play it for a month or so and wait for the next cool game to come out.

Hopefully they will focus their attention on the actual galaxy and try to mimic our own galaxy into the world of Startrek. They should have each quadrent mapped and the ability to travel in somewhat real time to each quadrent. So if I want to leave Earth and go explore the Delta Quadrent and it takes me only 5 minutes to get there at warp 9, I'm not going to be impressed, not even if I'm piloting a Fusion Cube at transwarp.
    I AGREE WITH YOU

i hope they using real pace physic as much as possible and focus on the actualy physics galaxy to mimic our own milky way galaxy as much as possible, and show large phenomena like blackholes, ionic winds , solarsystem and planets formations, comets, meteor rains, supernovas, temporal rift or like quantum singularities that can send you to another universe like the universe of terran empire forexample, and explore beyond the realm there too,and in this other paralell universe can be another big server forexample.
    And also use realtime to interstellar travells like impuls drive , transwarpdrives and warpdrive travel trough the milky way galaxy, like 70 thousand lightyears would take like seven 70 years with warp-speed to travel and etc, and in that slowmotion way you would be able to discover and find new civilisations and new life and techs and new undiscovered space phenomena in space whitch is perfect for space exploration beyond the realm , like never seen before, and if you using like artifical deepspace nine wormholes witch i hope it will be excisting in ST online witch i hope would give you the paossebility to travel to other edge in minutes without the the need of waiting for years before you reach the other side , but for that you would instead dissmis all the new discoverey that you would find if you traveled in slower rate like with warpdrive, and transwarp should take the same amount iof time like the real transwarp condours in real st series, so wormhole is perfect for battles to shortcut travels, to specific battle areas or meetings

and when it comes to stear the ship in space with impulsdrive forexample it would better to stear it in realtime, like with jouystic or keyboard like you stear your car race games or like you stear the ships on Star Trek legacy by for full realtime controll ((and AVOID all the klicking like you use in EVE)) instead stear the ship freely in full control of your own and the ship should be seen from third person shooter like it is shown in spacebattles in ST online :)
    And when it comes to go to warpdrive on specific coredantes it would be awsome to type like warp 8 or 9 on keyboard and then klick on the cordenation on the map and from there it goes to warp after you cklick on warp button on keyboard or on mouse scroll weel like you do in startrek legacy (but after you gave the cordinates for warp) so the ship can go to warp from point A to point B :o

and i also hope that space phenomena stars and planets would be in realtime size aswhen you aproch the celestial object like in real life reality , and not like you see in eve or in startrek legacy that looks like the ship is alsmost big as the whole planet :eek:
    edited August 2008
    I am a huge star trek fan. Own the movies.....t.v series(not deep space 9) and some of the books. I also am a huge mmo fan. wow, daoc, city of hero's and such. And when a friend told me about this i went through the roof. Watched the trailer and drool'd :) and watched the via web show of the conv in las vegas and after it all.......it 's gonna kill me to wait 3 to 4 years:)!!!! This is the mmo i ve been waiting for. Didnt care for e.v.e at all. I am glad this is coming out, but to announce it 3 to 4 years proir? You do realize theirs a ton of us trekkies drooling at the key board:)!!
    edited August 2008
    if your going to go to all the trouble of customising the race / look of your character - you want to SEE what the results look like.

i know the consequense that i might miss the caracters lookthat i have designed.
    but for me it sems that the FPS view and control like aming and movement in ground combat or exploration, is far more important , than what your caracter you made look like, for me i the feeling the feels that you are in the game, would make alot of fun and gives the real feels that you are in the game, that would make you you love playing the ground battles,
    and besides wen you play in fps mode the other online gamers would still se your caracter from persons view, witch is more important that they se eyour whole caracter than you see your won caracter all day long , becaus ein reality you the invorioment from FPS view and your whole self unless you use mirror offcourse ,and the game could archive the same in ground battle and exploration like oteher fps games, by using your caracter from 3d view is not the way to give the feeling like you are in the invorioment, all online games have 3d person viewing like wow forexample, and i think its time to make something new something diffrent revolutionary when it comes to online gaming that would go one step futrthure toards a real vr like games instead, by thinking outside the box instead, it is the key that would make gaming more fun and also there are many VR.video glases or helmet with head tracking movment sensor system on the market that can be used for FPS viewed gaming instead of using your regular pc screens or mouse movment to look around. the head mount tracking vr glasses or helmet would replace that and give you the tootal filing that you are inside the game, wicth would make the game alot more funn and alot more realitsic, but that is only if the ground battle games is seen from FPS view ofcourse,
    because the more realistic feeling the game has the more fun the game will have , instead of only focusing how your designed caracter looks like all the time, its better to let other online gamers see how you look like insetad of you look at yoru caracter all the time, if you do so the feeling in the game wont be the same as if you use fps view, it you can insted use mirror in the room to see your whole self instead from 3rd view , and also see your self on 3rd view if the video sequense in the game loads up forexample then you cna better see your self from 3d person view in the video, and then wehn you begin to play you see yoru self from first view instead for best maximum realistic feeling,
    and yes avoid all the mouse klicking
    ground battle should be full controlled from persons own will, move aim at will in realtime and etc instead, for clicking like you do in WOW or final fantasy like a boring physical traditional brick game XD ,
    you would never archive a real feel like invorioment if you play games with klicking or use view as 3d person view, the game would never be much fun as it it would if it could be controled and seen as realistic as ppossible , move your won caracter and aim your self on caracter you want to shoot etc and see the whole thing from first view instead. online gaming should go more toards the virtual reality goals,
    and go NOT toards stupid WOW like games
    edited August 2008
    btw im sorry for my bad english, i know i spelled like a 5 year old child :o:(

but i hope you understood me ? my dear trekker friends :o
    edited August 2008
    Hello everyone!

For russian fan Star Trek Online

http://pc.reborn.ru/index.php?contentid=64472

:p
    edited August 2008
    I truly hope the fights are FPS-like. Space fight with the ships can be more RPG like, obviously, as you have to upgrade your ship's various systems throughtout your career... but I'll highly dislike an RPG-style phase fight...

"You have learned disrupter attack 2! Costs: 47 stamina and does 13-32 damage"...EWW

I would rather you have a chance to earn different weapons that do different kinds of damage, amounts of damage, different ranges, recharge rates, energy capacities, accuracy, etc... and play it like any First Person Shooter. I'm so taking a phase rifle and blasting some Klingons in the face! BOOM, headshot.

I saw someone mentioned Elite Force... Yes! I want the ground/in-ship combat to be like Elite Force... man that would be awesome.

I guess there could still be a lot of RPG style to it too... as long as it plays like a FPS.

You could earn new tech like a personal transporter or a personal shield generator... a temporary force field emitter, a tricorder to locate people, a tricorder jammer... maybe even a drone... medical supplies... so much potential that I wish I could be a real part to the development of this game.
    edited August 2008
    excactly precicly JERTYRAEL! :)

that was excactly what i ment

i totaly garee with you my friend

and also btw , im the one who mensioned the ST Elite Force before . in my previoues post :D

Elite force is my favorite game i love it because it gives the best realistic feeling that you are inside the game invorioment thanx to the FPS view and freely movement

that the ground battle games should be in FPS excactly like Elite Force , to stear and shot aim and fight freely everything freely like every FPS game. so long you are on the planet or inside your starship walking around , interact with others etc or inside the spacestation space colony or on some moon or other places, everything should be seen from FPS view and fight and shoot klingons in the head from FPS view and move freely like elite force ;)

while the ship bettle in outer sapce can be seen from 3rd view but avoid the klicking, and use freely movment instead
    edited August 2008
    but i also wish that spaceships battles could also be seen from FPS vie too like you seen in st bridge commander game, that you siiting on the chaire and stear the ship from the eyes view (FPS), that would be awsome, with maximum feeling that you are inside the game and would feel more that you have control over your own shup too ;)
    like in the real star trek movies and series

at least when it comes to exploration in space form space ship it is almost a must to be seen from FPS view when you discover new space phenomena or planet in space, it would be more better controled and realisticaly to see it from FPS vie when you siting in the bridhge, like in brid commander and in reality , and also alowed to go around the bridge to difrent posts and press the bottons by pushing the other player whio already stand there i his post and etc, this way it could be more relaisticaly because it would be more freely and therfore far more fun because its will make you feel free to move around the bridge on st online from fps view while you are in the battle between the romulan ship in space forexample and you can use other occupied post by puching your crew member from post and alow yoru self press the button of photon torpedos and etc, that would be super awsome! :D

even if i know it wont be anything like that in st online :(

but i hope at least some specific mode for st online can make this happen to transfrom the ship battle to FPS view or at least ground fight to FPS view, (( witch is a must in my opinion ))
    i would be more than happy if they give uss the possebility to transfrom to almost everything in FPS view
    edited August 2008
    Will you need to have to have an internet connection to play Star Trek Online?

:eek::eek:

lmao
    edited August 2008
    but i also wish that spaceships battles could also be seen from FPS vie too like you seen in st bridge commander game, that you siiting on the chaire and stear the ship from the eyes view (FPS), that would be awsome, with maximum feeling that you are inside the game and would feel more that you have control over your own shup too ;)
    like in the real star trek movies and series

at least when it comes to exploration in space form space ship it is almost a must to be seen from FPS view when you discover new space phenomena or planet in space, it would be more better controled and realisticaly to see it from FPS vie when you siting in the bridhge, like in brid commander and in reality , and also alowed to go around the bridge to difrent posts and press the bottons by pushing the other player whio already stand there i his post and etc, this way it could be more relaisticaly because it would be more freely and therfore far more fun because its will make you feel free to move around the bridge on st online from fps view while you are in the battle between the romulan ship in space forexample and you can use other occupied post by puching your crew member from post and alow yoru self press the button of photon torpedos and etc, that would be super awsome! :D

even if i know it wont be anything like that in st online :(

but i hope at least some specific mode for st online can make this happen to transfrom the ship battle to FPS view or at least ground fight to FPS view, (( witch is a must in my opinion ))
    i would be more than happy if they give uss the possebility to transfrom to almost everything in FPS view

Star Trek Bridge Comamander = Awesome space fights...

I hope they do the space fights like the are in STBC...
    If anyone has played Legacy.. I HATED Legacy... I couldn't get past the first level, it was just so annoying...
    edited August 2008
    btw im sorry for my bad english, i know i spelled like a 5 year old child :o:(

but i hope you understood me ? my dear trekker friends :o

Spelling like a 5 year old would be a massive improvement for myself.
    edited August 2008
    Have they said anything about species stats for the charaters like vulcans getting +1 to int or KIingons geting +2 to str or any thing like that just one of the many things i was wondering.
    edited August 2008
    Go Cryptic! You guys did an amazing job with City of Heroes.

my question; is Cryptic going to be both developing, and publishing, or will you guys be publishing it through NCSoft?