Install Arc
Options

Read the FAQ (August 12, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Djin wrote: »
    Did you not see the podcast? He said 3 years.

Learn to read within the lines :-)
    3 years is not an official date. Just some kind of joke.
    I bet they will release it next year.

If they have some sense of bussiness they will do an open beta test appx. 2 months. It good for us and good for them. The players can explore the gameplay, and Cryptex has a chance to test the system under pressure, and fix the errors, bugs, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Will there be PvP, PvE and RP rule set servers?
    There will not be separate servers. Open PvP will be restricted to designated sectors of space (far-off reaches of unclaimed territory). Consensual PvP and competitive PvE will occur between the realm borders (the Neutral Zone), where players will be competing over territory and resources with the option to PvP.

Taken from the new Official FAQ

Am I reading this right? This is saying there will not be separate servers for different play styles? or is it saying there will be one big server?

*I didn't see a thread on this, so if I missed it just linky me please. thanks
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was hoping for RP servers.....:(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The first - it's responding to the question "Will there be separate servers for RP, PvP and PvE?" with a simple "No."

We will likely have multiple servers (unless Jack gets his wish), but they will be different in name only, like CoX's.

It IS easy to misread, though, I agree.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kinda looks that way. Or multiple copies of pve servers only. Although, Jack said they had the tech to do an Eve type server set up.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You are reading that correct... the announcment Q&A in Vegas said similar, that they were trying to contain it all on a single server.

Personally I would like 2... a PVE and a PVP... I do not like areas that PVP is not allowed... two servers allow players who don't want pvp to stay away from those who enjoy pvp and the added element of gameplay.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seems to me like all servers (however many there are) will be the exact same aside from player driven content and players.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would like to see one big server for everyone.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    TheDart wrote: »
    The first - it's responding to the question "Will there be separate servers for RP, PvP and PvE?" with a simple "No."

We will likely have multiple servers (unless Jack gets his wish), but they will be different in name only, like CoX's.

It IS easy to misread, though, I agree.

Yeah I read it as "no" to separate rule sets, but it is a little confusing.

I really think one big server is problematic for those of us that would like to try both factions.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ArchBuck wrote: »
    You are reading that correct... the announcment Q&A in Vegas said similar, that they were trying to contain it all on a single server.

Personally I would like 2... a PVE and a PVP... I do not like areas that PVP is not allowed... two servers allow players who don't want pvp to stay away from those who enjoy pvp and the added element of gameplay.

Isn't that the same reasoning the "Zoned" PVP uses?

"different zones allow players who don't want to PVP to stay away from those who do"
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Varrangian wrote: »
    Am I reading this right? This is saying there will no be separate servers for different play styles?
    THE FAQ wrote: »
    There will not be separate servers.

That is correct.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

If they have some sense of bussiness they will do an open beta test appx. 2 months. It good for us and good for them. The players can explore the gameplay, and Cryptex has a chance to test the system under pressure, and fix the errors, bugs, etc.

Open beta test usually means it's about to go gold....

The open beta test would be cluttered with kiddies who want nothing but a free game to play... you're talking about regular beta testing, that day will come.

Open beta usually is based around stress testing the servers, login servers, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good to see the FAQ up, but not much new on there.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    At this rate, we could have an official wiki by the end of the week! :p
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have been waiting for a star trek MMO to come out for many years (since ultima online debute) since I have always been a big star trek fan. I was disapointed to hear in the podcast that it would be up to three years before release. I hope you are right that it may be next year sometime but i doubt it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Some solid questions with some solid answers. I was hoping for a lot more but this is a good start. Keep it coming Cryptic!
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You're not being serious about a open beta in two months... Are you???

Nevermind, I won't even bother... lol
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Tomkan wrote: »
    PCs AND Consoles DO NOT fit together. Remember that! :(

I don't mind PC players and Console players being able to play on the same server together. as long as the PC version is not dumbed down just to accomodate the limited input capacity of console interfaces. If I am playing on a PC, then I had better be able to have full hotkey support and all of the in-depth interface options of a full-blown PC-only MMO, even if the console players must make do without such features.

The way technology is advancing, within the next three years, there will likely be keyboard and mouse add-ons for all of the mainstream consoles, which will allow those player to experience the full input features.

All though it was never officially confirmed or denied, supposedly, the dumbing down of Star Wars Galaxies that occurred with the NGE was a precursor to the launching of that game on the console. The interface was simplified way down and no longer could be customized. I think that what threw a wet blanket on their plans was the fact that so many people left the game because they hated the changes. The outlook couldn't have been good for the investors whose money would have been rding on a PC-to-console port deal.

Oh SWG is much better these days, but it took them three years to get it that way, and still they have a lot of work to do.

So again... As long as the PC version of the game is not dumbed down to accomodate console players who do not have a keyboard and mouse, I'll be fine. But if it IS dumbed down in that way, I promise that I will not waste my money on it. Not to buy it and certainly not to subscribe to it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Awesome FAQ, answered a lot of questions.

Not sure how Console and PC people will play together =/
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Keep up the good work ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You're not being serious about a open beta in two months... Are you???

Nevermind, I won't even bother... lol

I think he meant that open beta should last at least two months to get the most out of the stress testing and bug stomping process before launch.

I beg Cryptic to not release this game one day before it is ready. For once, I would like to see an MMO launched without the attitude of "we can launch this TRIBBLE now and let the players pay us while we take our sweet time to finish."

Tell marketing to keep their noses out of development's business. And tell corporate to trust development and to tell marketing to take their prozak and chill. And tell corporate to tell marketing to promote the game that is being designed, not the one they would design if they were designing it. SOE's marketing team printed a description of SWG on the box that did not accurately reflect gameplay, so accusations of false advertisement and a lot of whining prompted SOE corporate to direct development to redesign the game rather than telling marketing to correct their mistakes. DON'T make the same mistake.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    As amazing City of Heroes and City ov Villains was, I severely doubt the guys and gals at Cryptic Studios will deliver a product that is any less amazing. I expect, and I believe that they can produce something that surpasses COH &COV in it's entirety. Those two games are the only MMO's that I've played, and liked thus far, and I've played virtually every MMO.

That being said, from what I've seen in the trailer, and from what I've read in the FAQ, things are really shaking up to be a truly amazing game, one that I am most definitely going to pick up on Day One, and play religiously.

Finally a ray of sunshine can be seen in the Star Trek Universe, at least to me that is.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    *waves fist in the air* You didn't have all the answers... you didn't have them allllllllll!!!

Ok now that I've goten that out my question thats been floating around a ton (in my... posts and community) is this: Will Klingon and Federation players be able to work together on any level?

Obviously lots of words like PvP and competative PvE are being thrown around so its becoming very clear to my current fleet that any Klingon fans will have to spin off and make a Klingon Fleet as I doubt you'll be able to have a fleet that represents both factions.

With that said will Klingon ships be able to hail, talk to, and even (in some non competative areas) play with Federation members?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I sure hope this game is going to be the one i am tired of jumping from game to game and being disapointed.good luck cryptic.;)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He what happen when your dead or your ship is destroyed are you going to start over or does the server make sure you jumpt the escape hatch and just get an other ship ???

So what happend if I can't gut it ???
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Definitely a start -- thanks for the pointer, Kestrel.

There may be one or two other questions that a potential player might like to have answered. :)

But it's a start.

--Flatfingers
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, Hope it gets updated weekly.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    considering how much probably still has to be done and decided i doubt if they HAVE the answers to some of the questions yet. I remember they said they had not decided on the death penalty but that "the days of harsh death penalties are behind us" (more or less got that right i think). It may be a while before we get anymore solid information, especially with GenCon this week, Cryptic is sponsoring it. Man Cryptic has three good MMOs in its hands it seems. First Champions Online, now Star Trek Online, and they have concept art for some cuthulu-esque looking MMO on their main site. keep up the hard work Cryptic!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks cryptic for answering alot of good questions. I look forward to future answers as well. Keep up the good work! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wow. An FAQ so fast. Good job Cryptic!

One small little thing. I noticed something your proofreaders missed.

"Picard was an archeologist and diplomat, Crusher was a doctor, Worf a security/tactical officer, and Janeway was a scientist. Each eventually choose a career in command and became ship captains."

Should be "chose" not "choose".