test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Read the FAQ (August 12, 2008)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Galactic News Network [PC]
There has been a lot of information released about Star Trek Online in the past few days.

We know you have questions. We have the answers. Check out our Star Trek Online FAQ.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    1st!

Very cool FAQ . Looking forward to the game even more now
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yes very cool looking stuff. 2nd!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Very cool! However, I'm surprised I haven't seen this question yet - what happens to your ship when you are on an away mission? Does it just orbit the planet, vulnerable to attack, or will it vanish?
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Very cool FAQ .. nice Cryptic
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Woot! Cryptic is really on the ball, I can't believe we have an official FAQ already!

I love this company.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thank you, Kestrel!

Time to add the link to mah sig. :cool:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yes I agree looking forward to the game very much. Like to also see were you can just fly around in space, & visit other planets at will, without playing a level I.E freedom just to fly & visit places a bit like what you can do in Second Life.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yay, FAQ!

Nice to see you guys got this together so quickly this go-round, Kestrel! It'll definitely help, I think!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    my sto want level just went down a few notches with the hole eve open world thingy.
    will have to see how the death pentatlys will be before puting a final stamp of doom on the game tho.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Everything that has happened here since the launch has surpassed all my expectations.

You have already proven yourselves to me, Cryptic.

Thanks for everything so far...

Polt
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Awesome. Let me know when you add answers to the other 1,400 questions. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good FAQ; I'm interested to see how this game progresses; especially in terms of how much freedom you will have balanced with a sense of purpose/direction from your higher HQ, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it speaks to the care and consideration that Cryptic have put into their design for this game and the beautiful execution that they've shown so far that I am motivated to register on this site.

I HATE MMOs, I really do. There's nothing I find compelling about the fairytale grind-fest of World of Warcraft or open world sandboxes like Crackdown or GTA4. But the moment I saw what they had done with STO and heard about the plans they have to bring this franchise the interactive treatment it deserves, I couldn't get in line fast enough.

This is an MMO I can get behind. Thanks Crypic!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Great FAQ... though it looks like the writer is trying a little too hard with the "Can I play something other than a Captain" answer. =\
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The FAQ really doesn't answer much... hmm...

I already knew all that already.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good Introduction to those that are just joining us. So far you have smoked perpetual at every turn. Good job! The hard part is maintaining the FAQ and updating the site regularly. But I'm sure you have dedicated people for that. So far the game seems to be in good hands.

I like no money. If you can figure out a way for gold farmers to NOT make a cent in STO please do it. Also late last night a gold farmer posted an obvious advertisement at 12:30 am PST. I and several others reported him. The thread was deleted in less than an hour! Along with my 2 posts in the thread. This above all impresses me the most. In the MIDDLE of the night someone was up to deal with this wanna-be turkey. Running an online game is a 24 hours job, this includes the forums. Great job! I don't want this turned into Star Farmer Online. I'm sure just about everyone feels the same as I do on the subject.
    :)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When is the release date?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nice FAQ :) How often will this be updated? I'm sure there's at least a million more questions that will/are coming up. I'm sure you have a plan though.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PCs AND Consoles DO NOT fit together. Remember that! :(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kloz wrote: »
    When is the release date?

3 years...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Will there be realistic travel times in space?
    Travel times will be semi-realistic, with a focus on fun. Space is big, and it can take a very long time to travel great distances. That travel time can be impractically long. We will introduce transwarp conduit technology and worm holes to allow players to travel to distant sectors of the galaxy without needing days or weeks of gameplay to do so.
    Can I play something other than a Captain like a Doctor or an Engineer?
    Everyone is a Captain, (remember, if you command a ship, you are automatically a Captain), and you will command a crew, but that does not limit your role. Your character will still be able to choose from a variety of career paths, such as Engineer, Tactical Officer, Doctor, Science Officer, etc. Your career path is your root, and will affect your skills, and how you command your crew. Consider Jean-Luc Picard, Beverly Crusher, Worf and Kathryn Janeway. Picard was an archeologist and diplomat, Crusher was a doctor, Worf a security/tactical officer, and Janeway was a scientist. Each eventually choose a career in command and became ship captains. This does not mean the game will limit your ship choices based on your profession – far from it. The examples are simply an example of how the game design was inspired.

WOOT!!!!! CS is so fast when making this game! and has noting to hide!! (besides release date) but iim loving this more and more every day. thats why i cant spend hours on the forums it would make me go crazy
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Will you need to have to have an internet connection to play Star Trek Online?
    Yes.

Wow, i never imagined that an internet connection would be necessary to play an online game. Really beats me.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it would have been fairly easy for Cryptic to rest on its laurels a bit after Sunday's press blitz, so I'm encouraged that they've worked this quickly to get up a decently informative FAQ. There is some new information here, particularly when it comes to the list of playable races. The inclusion of the Orions is a real twist, and this would initially seem to indicate that more than the seven races scheduled by Perpetual were playable.

Good show, and I hope they'll maintain a commitment to maintaining the FAQ.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Djin wrote: »
    3 years...

I dunno.... The game will be set in the year 2409... so SOMEHOW ;) I guess it will be released next year....
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have just signed up but I haven't been able to actually play the game. Is there a page or site that I need to visit first?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    as i red the FAQ 2 question hit a stake in my mind:

universe with economy, fleet battles and taking territorys - will it be similar with EVE online?
    walking on surface and in ships - similar to Earth and Beyond (there u can walk on stations and EVE similar to this mmo)?

whit this 2 old mmos as example the good graphic and playeable in most computers are really reacheable.

bye
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i just read the FAQ, and i found it quite interesting!
    i'm looking forward for more :D

*edit*
    oh, just read the previous post too, and i'm happy to see some ppl still remember Earth & Beyond!
    that was a wonderful MMO, too bad it vanished so soon ...
    if STO goes the way E&B did, i'm sure it'll become a SUPER MMO, one i'll be playing for sure! :D
    and being a CoH/V player, i have high hopes ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have just signed up but I haven't been able to actually play the game. Is there a page or site that I need to visit first?
    Uh... in case you missed it: the game isn't out yet...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sarevok wrote: »
    Uh... in case you missed it: the game isn't out yet...

not even beta yet !
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gamar wrote: »
    I dunno.... The game will be set in the year 2409... so SOMEHOW ;) I guess it will be released next year....

Did you not see the podcast? He said 3 years.