test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

August 10 Webcast Info! (August 7, 2008)

12345679»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Kordeth wrote: »
    I'm watching this now and this sounds fantastic! I can't wait for this.

It's about time that an MMORPG will come out that takes brains and skill instead of just gear and buffs.

...unless SOE buy out their publisher and insist on a "Combat Polarity Reversal" :mad:

And for those worrying about high-level raids....
    ...do the words "Borg Space" mean anything to you?
    edited August 2008
    I must say, I'm quite impressed. They have the hype down very well at least, here's hoping they live up to it :)

I expect the game to be out in about 3 years. Wish it was sooner, but I sure as hell won't stop watching these forums anytime soon after THAT display (plus I'll be trying to get into beta >.> hehe).
    edited August 2008
    Wonderful Webcast! I had just got up to speed on the fact that Cryptic had taken over the IP. A friend and I were both supremely dissapointed when we heard Perpetual was shutting down. So discovering this fact, this site, and watching the webcast made my "year".

There were just too many "highlights" to this webcast to go through in detail in just one post. Anyone who has not seen this really should watch it for themselves. Personally I'm simply delighted that this IP is being handled by intelligent, creative, experienced people. And I await it's release with baited breath... :)
    edited August 2008
    I unfortunately missed a bit of it so I really hope they will post it on the website at some point for download perhaps.

I've got to say, I'm VERY impressed with what Cryptic are doing - great presentation and Q&A period. Kudos to you, Cryptic I think the IP is in the right hands and you guys are on the right track.

Things I loved:

-Some of the ships looked totally new, and awesome :D
    -Hiring STAR TREK writer to assist with the game is a huge bonus :D
    -The level of dedication to 'get it right' is obvious and impressive
    -The CHANCE of it all being in 'One Universe/server'
    -The fact that a person's 'career path/specialization' is taken into consideration and is part of being a Captain
    -'Surprise Events' such as a sudden Borg invasion of a system, having to rally and fight them out
    -Space combat looked very fun
    -Ground combat looks like it could use some work, but I hope they're both more twitch gaming style rather than clicking icons
    -You don't have to spend a bajillion hours playing to have fun/be competitive
    -Exploration is going to be a big deal
    -A whole lot more I won't bother going into, I'll just say hat's off to ya and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more :)
    edited August 2008
    Bigs1759 wrote: »
    Posting a larger, if not high rez, version of that trailer on the site would be awesome. Pretty Please.
    I second that! Please post the trailer online.
    edited August 2008
    ...unless SOE buy out their publisher and insist on a "Combat Polarity Reversal" :mad:

And for those worrying about high-level raids....
    ...do the words "Borg Space" mean anything to you?

It's funny they showed the Borg as an event. I actually brought that up and was like "Wouldn't it be cool to see events as the Borg coming to kill Earth."

And then boom! THey show it!

As stated by another post... a lot of hype! Lets hope they can deliever.
    edited August 2008
    ;) Oh man, so far away....my Quad Core is gonna be near obsolete by then!!!

Well, I'm gonna have to build an even more powerful rig, I shall name it Oliver!
    edited August 2008
    ;) Oh man, so far away....my Quad Core is gonna be near obsolete by then!!!

Well, I'm gonna have to build an even more powerful rig, I shall name it Oliver!

Nice Tron avatar.

My quad-core and 4GB DDR3 RAM and my Nvidia 280 will be old. :(
    edited August 2008
    OMG that's my rig, except my vid card is an 8600 GTS superclocked

Tron...gotta love them damned recognizers
    edited August 2008
    OMG that's my rig, except my vid card is an 8600 GTS superclocked

Tron...gotta love them damned recognizers

Not to go off topic...

I spent about $2,400 for my PC. I bought bleeding edge... :) I think it will hold good for a while. :)

And yes... Tron is one of a kind.
    edited August 2008
    That webcast was phenomenal. Everything I wanted to hear from cryptic was said. I just hope they can deliver everything they talked about ... they have a big task ahead of them.
    edited August 2008
    The trailer looks great. I missd the webcast though...did they give an idea of timeframe for release?
    edited August 2008
    I think they said something in the neighborhood of under 3 years from now the game will be out. Considering how large an MMORPG is that's an impressive time line. I missed a lot of the begining due to my stupid Time Warner Cable modem giving me problems. Had to reset the darned thing to view the webcast.
    (I think they are trying to limit my bandwidth)
    edited August 2008
    I think they said something in the neighborhood of under 3 years from now the game will be out. Considering how large an MMORPG is that's an impressive time line. I missed a lot of the begining due to my stupid Time Warner Cable modem giving me problems. Had to reset the darned thing to view the webcast.
    (I think they are trying to limit my bandwidth)

It's illegal to limit bandwidth... probably just a bunch of kiddies playing WoW. ;O
    edited August 2008
    Oh yeah, I know it's illeagal, that's why I've been tracking it every 10 minutes for the last 3 weeks and I've found some disturbing results.

But....by the time STO is out I'll have a fiber internet connection ( I hope :confused: ) So I won't have to deal with Time Warner any longer.

I have a 10 meg connection now so I don't have any lag on WoW but might need more bandwidth in a few years.
    edited August 2008
    Oh yeah, I know it's illeagal, that's why I've been tracking it every 10 minutes for the last 3 weeks and I've found some disturbing results.

But....by the time STO is out I'll have a fiber internet connection ( I hope :confused: ) So I won't have to deal with Time Warner any longer.

I have a 10 meg connection now so I don't have any lag on WoW but might need more bandwidth in a few years.

You could use a 14.4bps modem and have no lag on WoW. Lol.
    edited August 2008
    Wow, I'm really happy how 'on the ball' they are on posting media. I recorded the webcast and almost finished uploading it plus the trailer and they've already got both up on the site. Actions speak louder than words and it's stuff like this that makes Cryptic look like it's much more serious than Perpetual about STO.
    edited August 2008
    keptin wrote: »
    Wow, I'm really happy how 'on the ball' they are on posting media. I recorded the webcast and almost finished uploading it plus the trailer and they've already got both up on the site. Actions speak louder than words and it's stuff like this that makes Cryptic look like it's much more serious than Perpetual about STO.

I would agree with that.

:)

Thanks for the speedy posting for us that were not home to catch it live!
    edited August 2008
    I think i just had a geekgasm watching the trailer...
    edited August 2008
    Thoughts on the August 10 Webcast:

1. Leonard Nimoy - Way cool!

2. Mr. Emmert did a nice job laying out Cryptic's vision for Star Trek Online. It sounded pretty exciting.

3. I worried a little bit about Mr. Emmert's comments that Cryptic could turn the game out quickly. I think all of us want an "A" gaming title here, and "quickly" can be equated with 'rushed" or "low budget". I'd be interested in seeing more from Cryptic on what this really means. If it means that every planet we beam down to is an instance that is very similar to the last one (aka much of early COH), then I'd be concerned. I'm hoping that exploration means...well, exploration, that we find new things, not repeated things. New things means it will take time for development, which is the opposite of 'quickly'.

4. The game video looked great. Nice ships, reasonably detail, nice spacial features in space. Wondered a little bit about the sharpness of the away team and related planetary graphics on missions.

5. Bridge crew was 'pet's probably comes as a surprise to many, but this makes sense to me. I remember playing older trek games where the player could select crew for away missions, and if this is much like that STO will be paying homage to both the series and older games. I like it because it is a good way to build loyalty / interest in one's bridge crew.

4. The questions asked by the audience were right on the mark and went to key game play features, with almost no stupidity. They had to be staged to be that good ;)
    edited August 2008
    Although the new uniforms are non canon, (they should be the ones from "Endgame"), I really like them.

My only question is why the klingons attackers at 1:10 aprox are using Federation phasers.:confused:
    edited August 2008
    Looks great!

It was nice to see that they are taking this IP very seriously unlike some other MMOs.

I would live to know a release date range though other than "A few years away".
    edited August 2008
    Is there a link to a transcript somewhere?
    edited August 2008
    If you missed the webcast you can see it here

http://www.startrekonline.com/videos
    edited August 2008
    yes I watched part of that this morning, just wanted to be able to read it as well, as I can't watch at work, and I also process the printed word better ;)
    edited August 2008
    Thoughts on the August 10 Webcast:

1. Leonard Nimoy - Way cool!

Agreed! (nuff said...)
    2. Mr. Emmert did a nice job laying out Cryptic's vision for Star Trek Online. It sounded pretty exciting.

I concur again. I was very pleased with how he described his "relationship" to the material, this indicates to me that he is both highly creative and intelligent. Which are qualities that a Creative Director absolutely must have.
    3. I worried a little bit about Mr. Emmert's comments that Cryptic could turn the game out quickly. I think all of us want an "A" gaming title here, and "quickly" can be equated with 'rushed" or "low budget". I'd be interested in seeing more from Cryptic on what this really means. If it means that every planet we beam down to is an instance that is very similar to the last one (aka much of early COH), then I'd be concerned. I'm hoping that exploration means...well, exploration, that we find new things, not repeated things. New things means it will take time for development, which is the opposite of 'quickly'.

Here our opinions diverge slightly. These guys have already made a successful MMO. And since they know what it takes, and they aren't trying to do some things the "hard way", I would expect them to be able to progress more rapidly than you might think. One of the indications of this is that they (at least to my understanding) didn't inherit code from Perpetual. This means that the code used for the gameplay trailer was done in just a few months.

It was also stated that they were not going to be using motion capture and more traditional "3D character" rendering. In my mind this is a good thing. Part of the success of WoW is that it features stylized graphics that is relatively easy on system requirements. I want that for STO. I want to see a synergy with the upcoming movie, this game, and a possible new Televison franchise, all working together. (Yes, I am weary of Elves and Dwarves...!) I want to see STO "explode" in popularity!! ... And I don't even work for Cryptic Studios.
    4. The game video looked great. Nice ships, reasonably detail, nice spacial features in space. Wondered a little bit about the sharpness of the away team and related planetary graphics on missions.

Again I say don't think of "AoC" type characters and/or landscape. Think of City of Heros graphics that are "refined". And remember that "gameplay" allways wins over graphics. Sure, if you have lots of money to blow on the latest computer gear, Crysis looks awesome. But in 10 minutes you probably won't be looking in wonder at the graphics anymore. You'll be dealing with the fact that you're playing a FPS that is only slightly different from 10 other games that run better on you computer...
    5. Bridge crew was 'pet's probably comes as a surprise to many, but this makes sense to me. I remember playing older trek games where the player could select crew for away missions, and if this is much like that STO will be paying homage to both the series and older games. I like it because it is a good way to build loyalty / interest in one's bridge crew.

I liked this feature as well. One of the elements that worried me previously was the issue of finding a good Captain to serve under, and coordinating play schedules with several other people. This idea is allot more flexible. It allows for much more "customization" than just adding "parts" to one's ship. Yet it still leaves room for other play mechanics that can encourage players to team up.
    4. The questions asked by the audience were right on the mark and went to key game play features, with almost no stupidity. They had to be staged to be that good ;)

Maybe you're right. Still it seemed spontaneous enough to me. Are you sure you're not just being a tad cynical?
    edited August 2008
    Good Q&A, however there is one thing that worries me as there was one person who asked about a lure for other MMOs to play. This disturbs me simply because this in the one area that most game fail, simply because disconnected upper management looks more at the profits and not the value. All I can say is that this game better focus towards those who like Star Trek, and not simply those who like MMOs in general.
    edited August 2008
    All I know is that, to me, Jack Emmert looks like the kind of guy who's the first to pull out a joint at a party, and that makes him cool in my book. :cool:
    edited August 2008
    Good Q&A, however there is one thing that worries me as there was one person who asked about a lure for other MMOs to play. This disturbs me simply because this in the one area that most game fail, simply because disconnected upper management looks more at the profits and not the value. All I can say is that this game better focus towards those who like Star Trek, and not simply those who like MMOs in general.

If you were upper management and you were suppose to make the company millions of dollars, or make something that "pleased" some people but only made 45% of what you could of made, I think you would make more for the company.

You are probably right here, but we have to face it. MMORPGs are all after the WoW pie. They want that slice of happiness and be fat.... It's a company after all, they are all after your $$$.