test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Earn Event Rewards Quicker!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
With the launch of Awakening, we're launching a new system to take a lot of the pain out of finishing an event. Find out more here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240253

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I like it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The title perhaps is misleading and at first the link was missing in tweeter/facebook.
    How can the UI improvement help to GET REWARDS QUICKER?

I was hoping for a brand new system that could "actually help to take the PAIN of finishing an event" as it previously said. Something like doing the event perhaps through DOFFs or admiralty system or since we are all fleet admirals send your ships/BOFFS to finish up the event for you. I know too much to ask but one can always dream.

It's great to focus in improving the UI but they should have just call it that..."UI improvement" or "easier to track progress" and not hype it too much. Just my opinion but thankful anyways tiger-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I like it.

me too
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    RIP 50K on multiple characters...not like people were using that to fund character or fleet development or anything!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    basically a nerf to daily event tokens per character. it's now account wide like how the old week end event was.

also you no longer earn tokens once you complete the event.

no more 30k dil per character for doing event on each character.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    If I understanding this right you haven’t removed pain but added extra pain for doing events. So we can no longer use previous event vouchers like Featured TFO Commendations to cover missed days for the next weekend event? We can no longer do extra days on events we like to skip days in events we don’t like?

One of the reasons I ran extra days after finishing an event was to cover missed days for when I was sick or on holiday. So now that is not possible? If that is correct the new systems sounds worse for us players with less flexibility. It sounds like we can no longer build up a backup in case of things going wrong in the future.

If this is right we have a situation where players wouldn’t have missed rewards in the old system but due to the way the new system works they could potentially miss rewards that previously they would have been ok to get. Hopefully I am jumping the gun and misunderstanding how this new system works. I will reserve final judgement until I see the full new system. But based on some of the other revamps that have been worse for us players I am a little worried.

“Progress will now work like earned XP where you simply gain it until you reach your goal and then you can claim your reward. There is no need to remember to slot the event project and claim the item. Simply play the event and watch as your points accumulate!”
    That sounds less satisfying to play to me as I liked the interactions, personally I don’t find overly streamlined and automated systems satisfying to play.

I am not keen on this streamlining, auto win, auto handout everything is done automatically for you with minimum of interactions and no way to fail. This design path you are going down for me has removed the feeling of accomplishment, removed challenge and removed the feeling of reward for taking part. I understand why you have some content like this but why has everything been pushed down this path? I don’t believe this approach you are taking is a healthy path for player retention. Just recently I moved fleets as everyone in my old fleet left and a lot of it was due to this streamlining, auto win, auto handout approached you are taking.

Can you not make a mix of styles of content for different players?

EDIT: I play focused on one character and my post it written from the point of view of someone who doesn't really use secondary characters.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    what will happen to the not auto-completed old event missions when the events move?
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2019

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    I have a little additional information I can share with you, to answer a few common questions that've come up here and elsewhere.

In the new system, we've attempted to account for the average Dilithium earnings that Events of this type account for across our playerbase, in the form of a series of tweaks being made to the Bonus Earnings you can receive after the primary prize has been received.

More information on this will soon be forthcoming!
    what will happen to the not auto-completed old event missions when the events move?

We have a plan in place for these, but I'm not sure if we're ready to announce it just yet. Stay tuned for additional info!
    what will happen with stockpiled FTFO tokens?

We also have a plan in place for these. Hold onto them until we're ready to announce that!

Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    I have a little additional information I can share with you, to answer a few common questions that've come up here and elsewhere.

In the new system, we've attempted to account for the average Dilithium earnings that Events of this type account for across our playerbase, in the form of a series of tweaks being made to the Bonus Earnings you can receive after the primary prize has been received.

Well, that seems more promising. Still, the "average Dilithium earnings" is not exactly the best way to go about this. Also, if the Dilithium you give us is unrefined, then yeah... it's gonna be a big change. It's not the same getting, say, 30k bonus dilithium on one character that getting 10k on 3 different ones.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

Well, that seems more promising. Still, the "average Dilithium earnings" is not exactly the best way to go about this. Also, if the Dilithium you give us is unrefined, then yeah... it's gonna be a big change. It's not the same getting, say, 30k bonus dilithium on one character that getting 10k on 3 different ones.​​

Aye, well the proof will be in the pudding, but indeed sounds more promising than pissing in the wind & calling it rain. I'm glad Cryptic is thinking ahead on these things instead of just blanket nerfing players abilities of earning rewards.
  • stoyozstoyoz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    If I understanding this right you haven’t removed pain but added extra pain for doing events. So we can no longer use previous event vouchers like Featured TFO Commendations to cover missed days for the next weekend event? We can no longer do extra days on events we like to skip days in events we don’t like?

One of the reasons I ran extra days after finishing an event was to cover missed days for when I was sick or on holiday. So now that is not possible? If that is correct the new systems sounds worse for us players with less flexibility. It sounds like we can no longer build up a backup in case of things going wrong in the future.

If this is right we have a situation where players wouldn’t have missed rewards in the old system but due to the way the new system works they could potentially miss rewards that previously they would have been ok to get. Hopefully I am jumping the gun and misunderstanding how this new system works. I will reserve final judgement until I see the full new system. But based on some of the other revamps that have been worse for us players I am a little worried.

This.

• saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Well, the missed days will be propably cowered by "buyout option" from Zen store.
    Still, from what I read, I like to old -current- style better.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User

We have a plan in place for these, but I'm not sure if we're ready to announce it just yet. Stay tuned for additional info!

This is bar non my biggest concern. In part for myself but in large part for several friends I've talked into playing STO late this summer, who slotted the summer ship project but didn't have the time to complete it. I told them that they'd get the chance next year but now I have no idea if I should tell them that they're screwed out of the ship or not.
    So seriously Bort, announcing this without being able to announce what happens to unfinished slotted projects is... a bad decision. It may not have been yours, probably wasn't, but whosoever did decide this needs a slap with a week old salmon.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    edited August 2019
    Thinking about this some more I don't understand the title or blog talking about faster "[PC] Earn Event Rewards Quicker!" because of the way the new system comes across as working wont it be massively slower to get access to event rewards? How can it be quicker? it sounds like its going to be a lot slower to use. Slower as in weeks and days slower to access the new event reward along with higher risk of getting no reward and more painful to use. Please tell me I am interpreting this wrong.

“Progress will now work like earned XP where you simply gain it until you reach your goal and then you can claim your reward. There is no need to remember to slot the event project and claim the item. Simply play the event and watch as your points accumulate!”
    That sounds less satisfying to play to me as I liked the interactions, personally I don’t find overly streamlined and automated systems satisfying to play.

I am not keen on this streamlining, auto win, auto handout everything is done automatically for you with minimum of interactions and no way to fail. This design path you are going down for me has removed the feeling of accomplishment, removed challenge and removed the feeling of reward for taking part. I understand why you have some content like this but why has everything been pushed down this path? I don’t believe this approach you are taking is a healthy path for player retention. Just recently I moved fleets as everyone in my old fleet left and a lot of it was due to this streamlining, auto win, auto handout approached you are taking.

EDIT: I play focused on one character and my post it written from the point of view of someone who doesn't really use secondary characters.

This is something else that worries me. I have chronic arthritis which means some days I can't even sit up straight, much less play a game. Things like being able to grind ahead or complete and event ship next year instead of this one, has been crucial in keeping me playing this game. If this goes into effect as it reads and we won't be able to complete an event later, or grind ahead, then this is one more reason for me to ignore events which means one more reason to not get into the game at all.

I'm wondering is this so call QoL update isn't shooting themselves in the foot.
    Thinking about this some more I don't understand the title or blog talking about faster "[PC] Earn Event Rewards Quicker!" because of the way the new system comes across as working wont it be massively slower to get access to event rewards? How can it be quicker? it sounds like its going to be a lot slower to use. Slower as in weeks and days slower to access the new event reward along with higher risk of getting no reward and more painful to use. Please tell me I am interpreting this wrong.

I'm wondering this too. Could someone who knows how this works, @ambassadorkael#6946 or any of the devs, gives us an example of the math of this? Like if we don't complete the project, then what? The discount then means what? We'll have to pay for it in the C-store with money? How does that discount even work?
    ilithyn wrote: »

This is something else that worries me. I have chronic arthritis which means some days I can't even sit up straight, much less play a game. Things like being able to grind ahead or complete and event ship next year instead of this one, has been crucial in keeping me playing this game. If this goes into effect as it reads and we won't be able to complete an event later, or grind ahead, then this is one more reason for me to ignore events which means one more reason to not get into the game at all.

I'm wondering is this so call QoL update isn't shooting themselves in the foot.
    That's just why I grind ahead of time as I suffer from arthritis as well. Like you I put in the time to unlock the rewards ready for day 1 so I have backup days pre paid to cover bad days. We are putting in the time to earn the rewards so I don't see why this is being removed. Personally I find the dill from extra days meaningless and dill is not the reason I run extra days.

I am really worried this is going be another QoL update that in actual fact makes things worse just like the queue UI change, new UI reputation, and new mission journal UI which where sold as making QoL better but really made QoL worse for me.

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Would have been a better article if there were some examples to show how the system will work. Give the author a chance to show off their UI work.

As is, it almost sounds like a reaction to folk like myself being vocal about stockpiling tokens so we can bypass trash like the kamikaze maru by phasing out tokens in favour of an itemless points system similar to the t6 voucher unlock.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    This:

All progress for upcoming Events will also now be truly account-wide

How about the ability to grind dilithium or marks in other alternate characters? I make a ton of resources using alternates. Will this be discouraged then? I hope it is optional like it is on the current TFO events. I want the new shinies in all my alternates but also want the EXTRA dil/other marks that comes from doing them in alternates.​​
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    I bet you still have a 20 hour cooldown on the per character. but would be nice to just grind the points for as long as you need as some people cannot log in every day
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    After reading the blog there were points I wanted to come in and make, but since you covered everything already, I guess I'll just add my 2 EC to the specific points...

This was the impression I got as well. No more saving up vouchers by running the event on extra days in order to skip the lamer events. Now, if you want the reward you have to do the specific event and not have run extra days of other events you like to get extra tokens so you can skip the ones you don't. I get why this is being done, doesn't mean I have to like it. Which I don't.

This is why I ran extra days as well. I recently had the rug pulled out from under me in just about every aspect of my life. In the span of 4 days, I had to put my mother into an assisted living facility, I lost my job and then my mother died. With her death, I also lost my home because I was her caregiver (my job, which was lost) living in her home. As she owned the home, but was on Medicaid, the state took the home to recoup some of the money. So homeless, jobless and dealing with the loss of my mother. The last 6 months has been the lowest point in my life and playing games has helped me cope by allowing me to take my mind off things for even short amounts of time. And having saved up the tokens kept me from missing out on some events. But in the future, this will no longer be an option. Thanks.

What this sounds like to me is the way the coupon for the free T6 ship worked, 50 points a day for every day you played the event plus bonus days awarding an extra 50 per day. I suspect the coupon thing was a way of testing out the new system.

It'll take some getting used to, but I think I can handle the "no more hands on" aspect of this change. One less thing to worry about and less stuff cluttering up my inventory. However, with the other changes, it'll likely end up being more to worry about, for me anyway.

Overall, I get why the changes are being made. I even don't mind some parts of it. But taken as a whole, it just means that people are more likely to miss things without the ability to save up by doing extra when they can. Oh well. With all the events over the last year or so, I've been getting more and more burned out with the game, so maybe it's time to take a break.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User

We also have a plan in place for these. Hold onto them until we're ready to announce that!

"-Hey, guys, we're changing something that didn't need to be changed"
    -So, what about the important stuff? Like events we couldn't finish in time but current can with the next iteration? What about those sessions spent to stockpile the tokens, some of which were paid with real money?
    -... We'll tell you in due time! Promised!"

Here's what jaded-me actually thinks since there was already an attempt to curb that behavior with the anniversary, winter and summer events:

You noticed a pattern where:

First, a significant amount of players played for more than 14 days on several characters during one event (usually the shortest, like Crystalline Cataclysm or even the new Sompek), stockpiling commendations,

Then, the next events showed a significant drop of playtime,

Because these players just directly used the stockpiled commendations from one character for each following event

In order to spare themselves the grind again until they run out of commendations,

Because they were not interested in playing the same couple of time-gated events 14 times again and again and again and again.

So as opposed to try and make the grind shorter (even though there has thankfully been efforts to reduce the amount of times needed during one run for a couple of events) by I dunno, cutting the run requirements in half so it's only 7 runs or allowing people to do several runs a day, you still try to make sure they will grind those 14 days.

That may not be your intentions, but that's what it has been looking for quite a while for me.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited August 2019

"-Hey, guys, we're changing something that didn't need to be changed"
    -So, what about the important stuff? Like events we couldn't finish in time but current can with the next iteration? What about those sessions spent to stockpile the tokens, some of which were paid with real money?
    -... We'll tell you in due time! Promised!"

Here's what jaded-me actually thinks since there was already an attempt to curb that behavior with the anniversary, winter and summer events:

You noticed a pattern where:

First, a significant amount of players played for more than 14 days on several characters during one event (usually the shortest, like Crystalline Cataclysm or even the new Sompek), stockpiling commendations,

Then, the next events showed a significant drop of playtime,

Because these players just directly used the stockpiled commendations from one character for each following event

In order to spare themselves the grind again until they run out of commendations,

Because they were not interested in playing the same couple of time-gated events 14 times again and again and again and again.

So as opposed to try and make the grind shorter (even though there has thankfully been efforts to reduce the amount of times needed during one run for a couple of events) by I dunno, cutting the run requirements in half so it's only 7 runs or allowing people to do several runs a day, you still try to make sure they will grind those 14 days.

That may not be your intentions, but that's what it has been looking for quite a while for me.

Agreed.

Why in the world we are calling this an improvement? IMO seems this might discourage people from playing or those that have accumulated FTFO tokens disguised in a UI improvement?

It is a bit chaotic first to tell players go ahead and play as much as you can and make so many tokens that we will give you a free new ship.
    Then, now punish the same players from having any sense of enjoying FTFOs and accumulating extra tokens.
    I get that once in while they do need to cutback the number of tokens/commendations since they get too old but tbh this seems a bit chaotic in long term planning specially since the free ship promo still going on.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
    @ambassadorkael#6946 @borticuscryptic (or anyone official really) can you tell us how this actually works? Give us an example or two, or should it just be a surprise on launch day? If so, why not just wait till then to tell us about it as this blog post is worse than useless.
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Too soon to say with out better information.

It sounds interesting in some ways but i have been down this road before of to many currency in use so we need to stream line it.

And now from what little i can gather from the provided info we are returning to the different currency just in a new tab in a ui change.
    Its account based now as opposed to per toon.
    And now we are phasing out the tokens we had the bright ideal would replace the different currency in a ui last spring cleaning that took place.

And also for those that want a buy out option of some sort. And in some manner makes me not miss a event item or reward. Yet some how get it faster?

I am interested in knowing more of this as some how the presented info has left me confused. And we are to hold on to find out more later. From the plan you have? Or you are still testing the ideals of the plan before letting every one know what it is?

I would love some screen shots even if a place holder or concept shots. Or some information of how it will be in keeping multi events and how the counter will work. I understand the part of it will gather like exp. But if its for multi events unless i have that wrong. Are we talking about one progress bar and when it fills we hit buy on a event item. Or back to multi currency in a ui?

I look forward to more information on this and if we are going to counters lets git rid of the elite tokens from tfo's in the bank and just use the counter ui you already have in place so we get that bank space for more stuff.

To be or not to be: B)
    Just redid the math, because I couldn't believe it.

This goes live in two weeks. Two weeks! And they refuse to tell us what will happen to uncompleted projects because according to @borticuscryptic 'they're not ready yet'?
    Seriously?

Why not wait with announcing the whole thing until the actual launch then? Why saddle us with an incomplete message and no real information? It sounds like the system isn't even done yet and you have no clue how you're going to handle those project except remove them and give no rewards.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I wondered exactly how they would stop us from stockpiling FTFO tokens from CCA and using them to bypass events we didn't like (Breach, Mirror Invasion etc). Before today, I assumed the best way going forward to do this would to have more multi-event progress trackers like the 'Free T6 Ship 3000 tokens' thingy that we just had. Maybe instead of another c-store ship, we might have really powerful gear pieces or even full blown gear sets. This does make more sense though from cryptic's perspective as it brings all possible stockpiling to a dead stop.

I'm glad I saved tokens from 11 characters on CCA AND had the presence of mind to slot the event just in case something like this happened. For those that didn't, Bort did say to save your tokens because there's "a plan in place" for them that they are not yet ready to announce. So you probably won't lose out like you did last time.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    I wondered exactly how they would stop us from stockpiling FTFO tokens from CCA and using them to bypass events we didn't like (Breach, Mirror Invasion etc). Before today, I assumed the best way going forward to do this would to have more multi-event progress trackers like the 'Free T6 Ship 3000 tokens' thingy that we just had. Maybe instead of another c-store ship, we might have really powerful gear pieces or even full blown gear sets. This does make more sense though from cryptic's perspective as it brings all possible stockpiling to a dead stop.

I'm glad I saved tokens from 11 characters on CCA AND had the presence of mind to slot the event just in case something like this happened. For those that didn't, Bort did say to save your tokens because there's "a plan in place" for them that they are not yet ready to announce. So you probably won't lose out like you did last time.

My concern isn't with excess tokens. I'm none too fuzzed if they just turn out worthless. My concern is with uncompleted projects like the summer event ship and others like it. I don't buy that they're simply not ready to announce it considering this goes live in two weeks. Sounds more like they don't know how to handle it and am hoping they get whatever half assed plan they have done in time.
This discussion has been closed.