test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sompek Returning /Opinion Section 31 rifle.

13»

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Then do it after the Event. You can have 321-344 days of fun all year.

The thing is that without an event reward to back it up, the unlimited version may not see much action.
    It all depends on how the rewards will be for the unlimited version.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    I was so much looking forward this event but the nerf killed it for me as well. Where is the challenge?

They might as well should have just given the Commendation and Coupons just for logging to STO. Personally, I have accumulated lots of those from previous events and very dissapointed the old AoS was not brought back.

It's good for those who don't have access to the Commendation and Coupons and happy for them but for those who wanted the challenge...I guess the challenge now is to wait some more till this gets a real come back.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You didn't have the Challange before, now you will have it for most of the year.

The rewards will be according to the table given here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/star-trek-online/news/detail/11082703-the-arena-of-sompek-returns!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    questerius wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    Then do it after the Event. You can have 321-344 days of fun all year.

The thing is that without an event reward to back it up, the unlimited version may not see much action.
    It all depends on how the rewards will be for the unlimited version.
    People who are only there for the event reward wouldn't want to play the unlimited version anyway.
    I was so much looking forward this event but the nerf killed it for me as well. Where is the challenge? ​
    The only "challenge" the "nerf" removed was having to suicide after wave 5 to get the reward to pop.
    Why did people do the 'No Win Scenario'? For the challange and the Accolades. You know all those 'Original Thinkers' that followed the expected script to get to the end.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Honestly i hate the 7 round version.
    Just doing it to get my hands on the reward, but i used to do Sompek for fun and challenge. Bleh.
    I challenge myself to see how quickly I can kill all seven waves of enemies. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    This thread is just proof of people that play to get "paid" and not to have fun.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    This thread is just proof of people that play to get "paid" and not to have fun.
    Collecting unique items IS fun.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Talking about Sompek, I used my last remaining Weekend event token to get the Tsunkatse Glove, which was part of the Sompek set.

When the Weekend Event gear was downloaded to the Phoenix Pack, it seems the only part of the set placed in there seems to just be the Sompek Pulsewave weapon. Where's the Sompek Personal Shield (let alone the Tsunkatse Glove for those who didn't get that one)?
  • rickvic#6033 rickvic Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    Weekend event and the servers are a mess. got kicked 4 times in 5 min in germany
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    @warpangel , oh, I agree that collecting unique items can be fun. I'm referring to some of these "nerfing" comments. If getting the unique item is what matters, then the changes to Sompek should be welcomed not derided.

For those whose fun is about the challenge and the Marks payout, then obviously they'll be happier with the untimed TFO. They ARE getting that as a permanent TFO now and not as limited time event. You'd think that they'd be happy with that, but no. No, we have to get complaints of not having their cake and eating it, too. :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

ask yourself why?

So i got my hand on the S31 rifle yesterday. Primary fire mode is effective, but secondary fire mode is imo awkward. When playing FPS you have a target right in front in sight and then suddenly with the secondary firemode you turn away 45 degrees.

What do you folks think of the reward?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • testsubject228testsubject228 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    So i got my hand on the S31 rifle yesterday. Primary fire mode is effective, but secondary fire mode is imo awkward. When playing FPS you have a target right in front in sight and then suddenly with the secondary firemode you turn away 45 degrees.

What do you folks think of the reward?

Can only speak for my self. I think it's probably the worst rifle I've ever tried in sto.
    Currently, there is no reason for me use it over any full auto, split beam or sniper rifle.
    It has less range than standard rifles. Heavy Phaser 20m vs. normal rifles 30m (35m for snipers).
    It also deals less dmg. sure one could argue the ability to shoot 2 targets at once makes up for it. It does not.
    Twin bolts have a really thight arc. The dmg is so low you can kill 2 targets faster with a normal rifle.
    It's only pluss is the looks.
    I usually use shorter range weapons like the shotguns, pistols, omega or piercing plasma so the 20m range doesn't really bother me. It's just the awkwardness of the secondary fire mode especially the long animation which puts me off.

Perhaps the weapon still needs to be bug fixed, but for now i am leaning towards parking it on a boff.
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    I'm on console so we don't have his yet but I wanted to ask a question of the experts.
    I've been having remarkable success with the agony field generator in ground missions...anyone been running it in sompek? Any good?
    I was wondering if a couple of players running it near the centre of the map could just keep it going with its short cooldown and keep much of the map covered.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I tried the weapon 5 minutes, and right click -> discard

the secondary firing mode is really too weird
  • testsubject228testsubject228 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    I usually use shorter range weapons like the shotguns, pistols, omega or piercing plasma so the 20m range doesn't really bother me. It's just the awkwardness of the secondary fire mode especially the long animation which puts me off.

Perhaps the weapon still needs to be bug fixed, but for now i am leaning towards parking it on a boff.

In that case: Any white quality mk X Pistol or Pulsewave will do the job better.

reyan01 wrote: »
    Yeah, hoping it's bugged somehow as it is pretty disappointing.

I tested it in Bug Hunt Elite, Miner Instabilities Advanced, and Defend Rhiwhatever station Elite and on each occasion found myself swapping back to my Lobi DSC Phaser Full Auto Rifle (which, since fixed, is actually nicely effective) due to how lacklustre the S31 weapon felt.

Heck, I'd wager that the S31 Lobi Pistol is probably better than this rifle.

The Lobi DSC Full Auto rifle is one of, if not my favorite weapon ingame.
    The Heavy Phaser is in the same spot as the Jem'Hadar Wide area minigun.
    It can't really do anything that another weapon can do better.
    When they had that 50%off Lobi Sale I picked up a few of those Discovery Full Auto Rifles.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    reyan01 wrote: »

Yeah, hoping it's bugged somehow as it is pretty disappointing.

I tested it in Bug Hunt Elite, Miner Instabilities Advanced, and Defend Rhiwhatever station Elite and on each occasion found myself swapping back to my Lobi DSC Phaser Full Auto Rifle (which, since fixed, is actually nicely effective) due to how lacklustre the S31 weapon felt.

Heck, I'd wager that the S31 Lobi Pistol is probably better than this rifle.
    When I got it I had an endeavor for killing Voth, so I used it to go shoot a bunch of Voth.

The secondary uses a similar method of targeting to the Execution Spinner, IE: a flat plane, neither of them angles up. the secondary seems to hit EVERYTHING the beam sweeps over. To include invisible enemies.

The only part I'd consider maybe buggy is the primary fire range. 20 is REALLY short range for a primary fire.

It's weird and gimmicky, not sure whether I'd consider it BAD.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I don't find it necessarily bad either. I've been taking it back into Sompek and using it. Also use it other places with good results, even if the primary fire is short range.

The tommy gun is still better lol.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.