test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Awakening Appears September 10th!

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There is no Crossfield refit.

From the blog about the stats:
    While the Crossfield class was originally created to be a vessel that specialized in scientific endeavors, these starships were heavily modified in an effort to aid the war efforts that erupted between the Federation and Klingons after the Battle of the Binary Stars in the mid-23rd Century. These refits proved to be highly effective, and thus a new breed of starships - the Science Vanguard - was born.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Before J'Ula it was no different than any other lockbox ship really. Just something cool to have. After J'Ula, we can basically headcanon a lore reason for their existance in the 25th Century. Just like how the NX replicas have been integrated in.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    That's because the Romulans made themselves known by blowing Earth outposts straight to hell. And it was explained in "Balance or Terror" why nobody knew what the Romulans looked like prior to that incident. The reasons had nothing to do with "being classified".
    Yeah it was because of the massively idiotic "we just threw nukes at each other over what would become the neutral zone, and nobody ever bothered to go take a look at who we were killing!"

Which is even WORSE of an explanation then it being classified.

It was explained that, at the time, there was nothing more than audio contact. So, no they weren't able to see just who was killing who, just that there was an enemy to be fought.

Star Trek: Enterprise retconned that. While I liked ST: Enterprise, on the whole, it would have been better off not to hitch on the prequelitis that was all the rage at the time. When you want to show off new tech, keep the show moving forward, and keep away from setting the show in the past.
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Ooh, makes sense that with the sudden re-emergence of fungus-powered starships, the Elachi would get involved somehow...

(Mushroom MUSHROOM)
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I'm not sure which is worse, Stamets or more Kumaarke.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Kumaarke is better than Ambassador Surah.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    New faction?

Also, what was hard about finding and completing patrols?
  • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    yakodym wrote: »
    Ooh, makes sense that with the sudden re-emergence of fungus-powered starships, the Elachi would get involved somehow...

(Mushroom MUSHROOM)

Aa! Snake! A snake! Oo, it's a snake....
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    It sounds good, especially the Elachi ship part. I have had a character idea on the back burner where one of the groups of Romulans on Viranat catch a lucky break and manage to turn the tables on the Elachi who captured them and end up taking the ship they were grabbed by.

Also, I like the Elachi crescent weapons so I might end up keeping most of whatever that ship comes with for a while (like I did with the emitter-linked phasers the experimental Walker came with).

I am one of the (probably) few who actually like Kumaarke (and Tilly in the DSC tutorial for that matter). They are both upbeat and a bit naïve sounding, and actually have a sense of humor which is something a lot of games' npcs lack.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    That's because the Romulans made themselves known by blowing Earth outposts straight to hell. And it was explained in "Balance or Terror" why nobody knew what the Romulans looked like prior to that incident. The reasons had nothing to do with "being classified".
    Yeah it was because of the massively idiotic "we just threw nukes at each other over what would become the neutral zone, and nobody ever bothered to go take a look at who we were killing!"

Which is even WORSE of an explanation then it being classified.

It was explained that, at the time, there was nothing more than audio contact. So, no they weren't able to see just who was killing who, just that there was an enemy to be fought.

Star Trek: Enterprise retconned that. While I liked ST: Enterprise, on the whole, it would have been better off not to hitch on the prequelitis that was all the rage at the time. When you want to show off new tech, keep the show moving forward, and keep away from setting the show in the past.

In TOS "Balance of Terror", Spock stated that there was no ship to ship visual contact available during the Earth/Romulan War (Which was suppossedly why to Human, Romulan or Ally had ever seen the other (IMO there's a contradiction in that as in all the Romulan War stories and Novels, Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and various other species worked together and saw each other IN PERSON). ;)

The only thing ENT showed in the few times they had direct communication with Romulans (in ENT S2 - "Minefield" and S4's "Babel One" and "United") was that the Romulans CHOSE to not communicate/transmit anything visually in that era and kept all gtheir Comms to non Romulan ships audio only. (ENT DID retcon what the Federation knew RE: Cloacking Technology in general - of Romulans and other species, although they tried to walk some of that back in 'United' when they claimed the Romulans were using Holotech to disguise their Drone as various different ships of different Star Nations and Species.

I always had an issue with how Spock/Trek described the War in TOS anyway as I find it hard to believe there was never any planets used as bases or even large Federation or Romulan Starbases that would be assaulted by ground troops from either side.
    (In the original episode it was just a story point to set up and make the 'Shock' of Kirk and Co. discovering Romulans looked like Vulcans more visceral to the audience. I also find it interstiong Federation tech allowed Spock to be able to look in and 'spy' on the Rumulan Bridge without the Romulans knowing; BUT said tech couldn't help them aim/lock their weapons more effectively. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    i'm going to wait for the Picard stuff; i watched 2 seasons of discovery, but i don't like at all this tv show. All the characters are boring (Tilly, stamets etc), and Burnham lol (the op character who could save alone the entire universe, no! even the multiverse).

I appreciate all the efforts, but personally i'm not interested + like i'm a rom and kdf player, this expansion is not for me. :)
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    stoyoz wrote: »
    Meh. I don't really like the Discovery story arc. Over a year of it is more than enough for me. I hope it'll be over soon.
    Agreed. I never got interested in this game for prequels, reboots and early Trek such as JJTOS, DIS, ENT or TOS but for the games own timeline being set after Nemesis.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Everything I read sounds great to me, can't wait!!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Yay, more voice overs... :| Can you put that money into the game itself, please?
    Can you also just give me my Admiralty token already? I'm not going to fly the fracking ship.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    As much as I'm tired of STO force-feeding Discovery content with no other storylines it doesn't seem like it may be much unless there's a typo. "In addition, there will be a Mycelial Event coming which allows you to earn a new T6 Elachi ship by completing the new episode, patrols and TFO." The new episode will probably be well delivered, but (1) new episode? That can easily be endured & enjoyed I'm just tired of the dragging along of Discovery-only for STO with nothing else. Discovery-content-only burn-out, need a hypo-spray applied.

Are the Elachi even in Discovery or is this a new direction, away from tardigrade legal ramifications, to explain Mycelial Network tech with a commonality of shrooms? Just never been a big fan of the Elachi. The new potential starship someone posted earlier looks cool enough & the opportunity to earn a free T6 Elachi ship is of course generous by Cryptic.

"A entirely new faction, a revamped tutorial experience, and six new episodes starring beloved actors Mary Wiseman, Jason Isaacs, and Rehka Sharma brought the story of Star Trek: Discovery to Star Trek Online." What new faction is Cryptic claiming here? The Jem'Hadar was prior to & cut-short, from the gossip, for all of this & only this Discovery content so is it the Discovery characters which offered nothing additional to STO besides a title & aesthetics? There wasn't even a character creation event for the Discovery characters.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Will we finally get Dsc Andorians & Tellarites?
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > startrekron wrote: »
    >
    > If Staments and his ship along with it's advanced tech was "lost" according to Star Fleet history, then how could this hologram exist? Wasn't revealing anything about Discovery supposed to be considered treason?
    >
    >
    >
    > They have already explained several times now that the classified restriction was lifted once J'Ula shows up in 2410 because she brought spore tech with her, meaning the cat was out of the bag at that point. Same with all the formally classified time travel tech becoming more commonplace after the end of the Iconian War. The use of the Annorax meant the cat was out of the bag.
    > saurializard wrote: »
    >
    > It's impressive how in the span of a few months in-game, we went from "what are you talking about, there is no record of any USS Discovery?" according to season 2 to "here's all you need to know about what happened in 2256 and 2257 and all its secret tech, including from Section 31 despite the galaxy being mostly at peace expect for two crazy time-displaced ladies, team up with this hologram of the LEGENDARY Paul Stamets we somehow found brain patterns of somewhere!"
    >
    >
    >
    > Few months? Discovery was classified in 2258, and it lasted until 2410. Which is 152 years.
    >
    > Also not sure why you would need Stamets brain patterns, we have seen holograms of people long since dead like Mark Twain. they generally aren't based on brain patterns, but simply by throwing all available information about the person into the program.

Exactly , nothing stays classified forever.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > the first wave of discovery stuff came out BEFORE j'ula was ever a thing​​

Our characters are of top authorization/clearance, we are some joe blow off the streets or simlple rank and file officer, so it's no surprise unlike most they'd be made aware of parts of it in advance.

And ways here is more info on this.

https://ca.startrek.com/news/star-trek-online-anthony-rapp-idw-collaboration
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Ever since I was introduced to the way GW2 approached alts and leveling I cannot see myself going any further than daniels offering his hand to you. Since its all the same content that you've done previously on a long grind of a path. Also to the point about how everything is micromanaged that its only productive to play main characters because of the way specializations, ship mastery, and reputations work. Its the same deal with crafting system its a great system but its user friendliness is horrible. The only exception was the dominion faction being that it focused on that faction as well as it wasn't a grind to level up with.

Also patrols especially those KDF ones being some of the oldest content this game now has it is very very very frustrating to play them. Its not a hard to achieve in the manner of difficulty but the frustration comes from how power creep has evolved in eight years the weapons you use themselves can instantly destroy a freighter which means you fail and that is before all of the reputations, traits, and specializations kick in after that(sometimes it won't even go that far just off of one energy weapon).

So in all I hope there is something being done to clean up these problems or else it won't be much of anything fun to play imo.
  • I keep seeing BMR and I'm trying to figure what that means, I know bm stands for bowel movement but the r escapes me. Also, I'm not sure if that fits this context
    qaAuoh7.gif
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    (Gatekeeping, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Also, about Awakening, it's not shown in the blog, but Star Trek.com shows one of the ships -a collab with IDW Comics- being released with the expansion:
    -image redacted-
    Which reminds me of some other things I'd like to see cross-pollinated from IDW's work, like their take on TNG-era Terran uniforms... and, from an upcoming project of theirs, the Terran version of the Intrepid-class.

So, we're finally going to get a solid lead on what J'Ula has been up to in the present - I imagine, being a spook and all, that she's made good use of the unintentional diversion Mirror!Tilly (who is also somewhere out there in the wild) provided. And of course if Mirror!Leeta is going to resurface at some point, anyone care to bet that she and the temporally-displaced Tilly will come to blows?

Now, seeing as we're going to be seeing more of the Elachi, this seems as good a time as any to give the New Romulus rep track the ground set it's been inexplicably missing. Such a set would, I think, be similar to its DSC Legends counterpart in having a choice of combat armor or environment suit as one of the pieces, given the Elachi's native environmental conditions, along with a weapon optimized to deal with their relatively tough shields (plasma with an additional tachyon-rider proc?). In fact, since we're here... if KDF-aligned operators could get a replica of Khaless' bat'heth, it would not be implausibe for a replica of the Sword of the Raptor Star to be added as a reward to an appropriate Romulan-specific mission.
  • damocles2209damocles2209 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I'm sorry, but this is garbage. J'ula is the most nonsensical, contrived "threat" in the game and the Discovery content has been equally nonsensical. It's shoehorned, it feels shoehorned, and I really have no desire to see/play anything more related to that abortion of a show.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    BMR - baddmoonrizin
    a Forum Moderator.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    So for me, it was declassified recently, just before J'Ula showed up.
    It was declassified after J'Ula showed up, because she brought spore tech with her, as I said.
    Explain how the Crossfield refit was revealed with the spore drive before J'Ula showed up in the 25th century, then. In fact, the Discovery lockbox blog talks about that during the events of Emergence:

"With new threats on the horizon, oftentimes new tactics and equipment are needed to give you the edge in battle - even if they're from the past. As part of a recent effort to ensure that secrets and discoveries are not lost to time, scientists have been working on much of the top-secret technology pioneered on and around the U.S.S. Discovery. Their effort has revealed that many of these inventions can be combined with cutting edge technology to bring powerful new tactics to forefront of any conflict in a blink."

Also, about Awakening, it's not shown in the blog, but Star Trek.com shows one of the ships -a collab with IDW Comics- being released with the expansion:
    stol2.jpg

I Like that look. it's cute :3

Anyhow, gonna be doing stuff in my own comic in regards to the spore stuff being in the present.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Kumaarke is better than Ambassador Surah.

Depends which of her personalities is coming through, the wide eyed innocent stepping out into the galaxy or the mildly psychotic one who found the trigger on a phaser.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Someone probably mentioned it, but considering the Discoverse's hologram tech (which was one of those things that I guess was deemed to dangerous for public knowledge/aka excuse for using tech that was not available at the time), I'd say that the Stamets Hologram is from that time, rather than a new construct.

Probably doesn't need 29th Century tech, like the Doctor's mobile emitter.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I hope some of the player base enjoys the new incoming content. It definitely doesn't interest me all that much. Maybe the new crazy Picard stuff of next year will, but I am not getting my hopes up for something based at the beginning of the 26th century.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    jcsww wrote: »
    I hope some of the player base enjoys the new incoming content. It definitely doesn't interest me all that much. Maybe the new crazy Picard stuff of next year will, but I am not getting my hopes up for something based at the beginning of the 26th century.

Picard show will be very close to sto timeline. like 11 years. 2399 to be exact Its also the end of the 24th century not near the begining of the 26th Century. At least they are not butching the romulans like they did the klingons so that is a plus for the show. Well many died do to Hobus but at least in their general looks and comsetics from what I seen will stick to canon looks. Thank Goodness for that.
    At least we will have a romulan focus to look forward too. Given that will be one of the major focuses of the Picard Show :) And from what I saw they will have a plotline that is very similer to stos with romulans and captured borg cubes. So I'm sure the Tal' Shiar will probs be a major enemy in the show too. I hope.
    I love the new starship design they are doing. Looks to be inspired by the one type of romulan ship. Which is pretty neat. Starfleet/Romulan Hybrid Vessel!