What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

sto and stp?

2»

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    STP is also a trademarked name for a line of automotive lubricants, originally called "Scientifically Treated Petroleum". (That's why, when the band Mighty Joe Young had to change their name after a complaint from RKO Pictures, they called themselves "Stone Temple Pilots", so they could use the acronym STP, also a slang name for a synthetic hallucinogen, without tripping any lawyers' tort senses.)
    STP is trademarked. ST: P isn't. ;)
    And precisely no one has typed it out as ST: P, or even ST:P.

Not clear on why anyone feels a need to shorten it anyway; Picard is only three characters longer to type, completely unambiguous, and one syllable shorter to say.

Part of it is for disambiguation. Abbreviating the show PIC or PCD is less likely to be confused with the character Picard for instance, just like using ENT makes it clear one is talking about the series itself and not one of the many ships named Enterprise in Trek.

PIC would likely be used due to VOY and ENT being the first 3 letters of their name. Can't use DIS since people would be dissing on DIS.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    PIC would likely be used due to VOY and ENT being the first 3 letters of their name. Can't use DIS since people would be dissing on DIS.

VOY is just the fan-made abbreviation, officially it's "VGR". It's curious they went with ENT officially.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    If you want to get nitpicky like that, there is no "canon". "Canon" is a term for those religious writings that are regarded as in communion with other religious writings; in the Christian community, that can vary from branch to branch (especially between Roman Catholic and, say, Southern Baptist). For entertainment, there is no "canon", only continuity.

No. Canon is used for any IP owner compiling works inside a ring-fence. A word's origins is not its definition, it's how it's used (excluding 'literally', that word never means 'figuratively'.

It is nothing to do with continuity. Canon is a meta concept used to establish what a franchise is whether it's deciding if the Book of Enoch fits or not or whether TAS fits or not.

Continuity is an internal factor that relates to how canonical works tie into each other. It may be a deciding factor on whether something is canon or not (the nature of angels in TboE was what did it for the Jewish canon), but it's otherwise unrelated.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    VOY is just the fan-made abbreviation, officially it's "VGR". It's curious they went with ENT officially.

Because DSC and VGR get the word out, whilst still being pronounceable abbreviations. There's no real way to get an abbreviation of Enterprise that retains the word's shape and is pronounceable.
    PRD or PCD would still keep the same shape as Picard as well as being pronounceable.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!