test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Trespassing?

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
I think the NW developers have been dipping into my head meds. August 13th they are sending D&D to outer space. The new mod 17 Uprising takes place on an asteroid called Stardock. I don't care for mixing my Fantasy with your Science Fiction, unlike Reeses™ the two don't taste great together. Besides I wrote a cross over Foundry here on STO and they deleted it. Well yes they deleted all the Foundries. But how do you feel about the whole Dragons in Space module?
NFA-banner.png

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    'space' and other dimensions has always been part of the D&D universe, it's just done with a fantasy based slant. Imagine it as the Amish in space, with a sprinkle of magic, and you wont be far wrong.
    cee409e865c264463758298da20c3ad3.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Sailing the aetheric seas between the crystal spheres... ah, back when any complaints about "realism" in D&D were met with a Fireball spell that made a 30' sphere, could be cast into a 10'x10' room, and somehow didn't make flame gout down the corridors like a titanic barbecue gone mad. Made a handy way to get from one D&D world to another, too, if you didn't care for Dave Arneson's multiversal gates (and his introduction of the Multiversal Trading Company, in The Arduin Grimoire).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    and so did elder scrolls (at least in one segment, but it was never brought up again, so i think the closest to sci-fi elements still there remains the steampunk elements of dwemer ruins) and might and magic, for that matter

sci-fi in fantasy settings is uncommon, but not new​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Iconians in STO are mages in space. Their minions are mace wielding ogres and golems. And the Fek'ihri are literally Klingon mythologies' demons, shooting burning souls at your starship.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    angrytarg wrote: »
    And the Fek'ihri are literally Klingon mythologies' demons, shooting burning souls at your starship.

Nah, they were created by the Dominion a long time prior; based upon Klingon myth.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @equinox976 said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > And the Fek'ihri are literally Klingon mythologies' demons, shooting burning souls at your starship.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Nah, they were created by the Dominion a long time prior; based upon Klingon myth.

Doesn't change the fact that you literally go to Stovokor and their carriers launch burning skeletons 😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    There was also a direct crossover between TSR's Star Frontiers and D&D in the module Barrier Peaks.

Cross genre stuff is not exactly unknown in fiction either, a lot of authors had the same idea as Arthur C. Clarke about the relationship between magic and technology.

Andre Norton did a lot of it with her Witch World (sci-fi in fantasy) and Solar Queen (fantasy elements in sci-f) books for example, as did Anne McCaffrey with her Pern books which purposely started out as fairly standard fantasy (if you ignore the forward) and ended up as science fiction. And there were many others, though it did not penetrate Hollywood very far until enough writers and producers with D&D and other RP gaming experience convinced the TV/film industry that there really was a market for cross-genre stuff (if done well) outside of very bad B movies.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Have you read McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern? I own the whole series and there was no point where it was not clear that Pern was an Earth colony settled by spaceship.

Yes, I read it several times, and also wrote for a Pern fanzine, so I paid quite a bit of attention to the details of her books.

I never said that it wasn't clearly science fiction, anyone who read the forward in the first book knows that it specifically states that it is a colony and the ships (actually the landers it turns out rather than the ships themselves) were dismantled to build and power the colony in the early years. That does not change the fact that the first book was written in a fantasy style and the style morphed into a sci-fi style as the series went on. It is a nice touch actually, kind of like the songs that morph and change perspective on the repeat.
    yeah, that pretty much describes might and magic - if you don't know the overarching lore of the series, you would easily be fooled into thinking the game series is pure fantasy...like i was with M&M6 - right up until i got access to the 'oracle' under free haven​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    See, now that there makes me want to dust off my Neverwinter, and run around in there some. =) I also have a fondness for Wild West.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > and so did elder scrolls (at least in one segment, but it was never brought up again, so i think the closest to sci-fi elements still there remains the steampunk elements of dwemer ruins) and might and magic, for that matter
    >
    > sci-fi in fantasy settings is uncommon, but not new​​

Genuinely curious here: you sure you're not confusing Elder Scrolls with Ultima there?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    See, now that there makes me want to dust off my Neverwinter, and run around in there some. =) I also have a fondness for Wild West.

Same....might have to erase my toons and start over, they changed a LOT in mod16, and my once powerful toons, like my Paladin, have been turned into WIMPS, now. :'(
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I am fine mixing sci fi with fantasy. I do it all the time.

Plus it worked for Masters of the Universe, and Ultima.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    starswordc wrote: »
    Genuinely curious here: you sure you're not confusing Elder Scrolls with Ultima there?

one portion of early elder scrolls - which admittedly, is currently dubious canon because it's never been mentioned past that point...of course, neither has the deity ebonarm, but i assume THAT is still canon - had mentions of both the imperial legion and altmer having something akin to space travel, and even having moon bases on one of nirn's moons​​

#LegalizeAwoo

starswordc wrote: »

one portion of early elder scrolls - which admittedly, is currently dubious canon because it's never been mentioned past that point...of course, neither has the deity ebonarm, but i assume THAT is still canon - had mentions of both the imperial legion and altmer having something akin to space travel, and even having moon bases on one of nirn's moons​​

I am not sure about the rest of ESO, but Morrowind at least still has the steampunk style lab complex and the clockwork robots. I am not completely sure magitech exactly qualifies as sci-fi, but they still have it in the game along with a magitech based deity or two.
    everything dwemer and clockwork is basically steampunk, and steampunk generally falls on the sci-fi side of speculative fiction depending on who you talk to...so i'd say it qualifies​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Heh, I read some of the Pern books, but the more I read the dumber the setting felt. :/ It's one of those things where the plot required things to be a certain way... but... why?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg