test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PICARD and "Short Treks" season 2 Comic Con tailers

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yeah, i think CBS has totally given up on making their own maps at this point and are just using star chart's stuff, then modifying as appropriate...which is nice, because it means systems and sectors now have CONSISTENT locations​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    According to the producers the Romulan Empire has collapsed. I doubt there is a prison under romulan control at present. There is also the blue lights in the wrecked cube. I don't doubt a romulan connection, but I'm leaning towards the armed romulans seen are with jean luc.

If the Romulan Empire has collapsed, then it is far more likely that it has fractured into mini-Empires that are controlled by Romulan Warlords. So there is likely to be prisons under Romulan control just not Romulan Empire control.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Fair enough, I still think the Romulans aren't the enemy, and I don't think the Borg or ex-Borg are either. I think there is something rotten in the Federation and a lot of innocent people are suffering for it.

Consider, he meets the girl, and he goes to see an Admiral. Whatever the result of that meeting he later assembles an outlaw crew, which does not indicate good things about Starfleet's answer. Then there are the thugs attacking the girl and beaming out with starfleet effects, and picard's reaction to that. Now granted a couple of those could be misleading trailer cuts, but clearly Starfleet's answer did not seem suitable to Picard.

It is hard to tell with CBS, but if they are doing the Federation like TNG did I suspect that Picard may have to go off on his own not because of corruption, but rather the Federation refusing to interfere in the internal affairs of a foreign power (or powers if the RSE is shattered).
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    reyan01 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »

I have really mixed feeling about this. On one hand it's Sir Patrick Stewart so I'll watch it regardless (except the emoji film) and it seems to be dealing with Romulans heavily so I'll watch for them. On the other hand I really don't care about Borg. I get you can get a well plotted and written story from the future scenes of 09 mixed with the Borg fallout from TNG and VGR and getting tNG/VGR character crossovers makes sense, and they do tie into the Romulans, but it's just not really interesting to me.
    Same with Robot the Sidekick. I never cared for him in TNG or when he died in NEM, I get it'd affected Picard but it doesn't affect me.

I'll obviously still watch it and it's especially nice to see Seven (one of the only redeeming features of VGR) not dressed like T'Pol, but I'm sure I'd have to pick up a lot more interest in the Borg to fully appreciate it.

Also, are all the Romulans ridgeless again? If so, why? Just have a mix and throw some ridged Vulcans in as well.​​

Oh my god - I am SO happy to see that I am not alone! I'd refrained from voicing my opinion on the trailer as most of the comments I've seen have been 'hype hype hypey hype!!"

This trailer did nothing for me. The Borg? Done to death, and am sick of almost every series having to fall back on them in an attempt to hype things up; the Borg have become a masterclass in how not to use villains in a continuing narrative.
    The cameos? Nice - but at this rate Picard will turn out to be a supporting character in his own show.

And yeah, Robot the Sidekick never did anything for me either. I'll quote what CBR said regarding him, as it mirrors how I feel:
    "I know, I know: This is like saying that I hate Santa Claus, isn't it? But Data never really did anything for me beyond provide deus ex machinas and annoy me. We'd seen the "What does it mean to be... human?" thing before with Spock (and, weirdly enough, again with Ilyaprobe in The Motion Picture... Hmm), and Brent Spiner's portrayal shifted from naive to oddly smug somewhere during the show's run, making him all the more irritating ".
    I've had to defend this position a few times over the years; there seems to be this common thought that it's somehow wrong to dislike Data. But I don't like him and I never did.

Hm, I would not worry at all.

I mean it has been clearly stated that the show focusses on Picard with his new crew of fresh people we don’t know anything about yet. It’s at least a handful of new peeps who will carry the main weight of the whole storyline.

The first season of Picard is supposed to have 10 episodes? That leaves Data, Seven, Hugh, Riker, Troy and whoever else is supposed to be squeezed in barley enough time to serve a story related function. They are not supposed to be cameos but will have a hard time to be much more here.

After Discovery’s first Season they seem to feel pressured to do more fan service. That's why they are in.

Yep. I’m hyped; I’m excited to see Data and co. reprise their roles. At the same time I won’t allow myself to be so hyped that I fool myself into thinking they will carry the show to any extend.

I was also hyped back before Disco season 2 to read Rebecca Romijn would take on the role of #1. Wow, awesome! Well, she ended up having like 5 minutes of screen time for a whole season. Picard is even shorter so it would surprise me if Data and Seven end up geting any more. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    According to the producers the Romulan Empire has collapsed. I doubt there is a prison under romulan control at present. There is also the blue lights in the wrecked cube. I don't doubt a romulan connection, but I'm leaning towards the armed romulans seen are with jean luc.
    The RSE collapsed in STO's timeline, and we see PLENTY of Romulan bases and stations, like Gasko, being used to study Borg tech by various holdout groups.

Also, there is a shot in the trailer where we see a Star Map, that looks almost exactly copied from the Star Charts, with some minor changes, and it very clearly still shows the Romulan green over a large area of space
    I feel the need to point out that "collapsed" could mean mean the central government collapsed, which is a key aspect of the Path to 2409. Shinzon killed the Senate, then Hobus happened, then a Civil war over who should be in charge. dunno how this features in this show though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgpDqPBxtcM

Not impressed.
    Still waiting for Han Solo to show up and drive. >_>

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I'm gonna say ... future Borg Queen.

Funny thing about the Borg Queen, the older one that is, has made a connection with Picard/Lucutus of Borg and Data.

I wonder....
    skhc wrote: »
    "This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation".

Hmm.. Romulans messing with Borg tech?

I know it was for the convenience of us viewers, but I think it's funny that they had that notice in both Romulan and English :blush:
    Wait a minute, Picard, Seven, and Hugh? The 3 most famous liberated Borg in Trek? Could this show provide the lore foudation for a Lib Borg faction?

Don't forget Data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft89Blgzb0k
    Picard has 2 Romulan women working for him at his vineyard.
    He says two beautiful Romulan people.

If you rewatch the trailer, the Romulan who says "be the captain they remember" is talking to Picard in what looks like his vineyard house. I am going to guess he, and the Romulan woman who says "we do not", and also appears to be in Picard's vineyard house, are the two who work for him.
    So Romulans can live on Earth now
    People also pointed out that the red planet all the Romulan ships were flying too is Mars, they even matched up numerous geographical features. Mars seems to have been given to the Romulans as a refugee world.

Fitting, given the Romulans connection to the Romans.

I can see some people who still harbour resentment towards the Romulans would be none to pleased with that (kind of what happened when Chancellor Gorkon proposed a peace treaty with the Federation).

I can see why STO's going to have a new Tutorial for the Romulans, since (as far as we can see from the trailer, including the title "Children of Mars" for one of the Short Treks mini-episodes) what's coming from Star Trek: Picard's going to be fleshing out what happened between Nemesis and STO.

If you rewatch the trailer, the Romulan who says "be the captain they remember" is talking to Picard in what looks like his vineyard house. I am going to guess he, and the Romulan woman who says "we do not", and also appears to be in Picard's vineyard house, are the two who work for him.
    People also pointed out that the red planet all the Romulan ships were flying too is Mars, they even matched up numerous geographical features. Mars seems to have been given to the Romulans as a refugee world.

I can see some people who still harbour resentment towards the Romulans would be none to pleased with that (kind of what happened when Chancellor Gorkon proposed a peace treaty with the Federation).

I can see why STO's going to have a new Tutorial for the Romulans, since (as far as we can see from the trailer, including the title "Children of Mars" for one of the Short Treks mini-episodes) what's coming from Star Trek: Picard's going to be fleshing out what happened between Nemesis and STO.

Or STO could be set in a parallel universe. The entire Romulan Republic story arcs might have to be changed depending on the Picard series if Cryptic wants to keep STO in line with the Picard series. A Star Trek TV series should never care about what a Star Trek video game does. Just take what it wants and ignore the rest.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    starkaos wrote: »

Or STO could be set in a parallel universe. The entire Romulan Republic story arcs might have to be changed depending on the Picard series if Cryptic wants to keep STO in line with the Picard series. A Star Trek TV series should never care about what a Star Trek video game does. Just take what it wants and ignore the rest.

Cryptic has shown in the past that they are committed to redo entire story arcs (take missions out, replace them with others) if they feel the need to do so due to advanced age of those missions alone.

With the Discovery show they clearly judge any leaning missions as more important as going forward with their own game related story (Leeta, Lukari, Temporal or whatever).

If the new Picard show requires any changes as how the Romulan story (from 2010-2013) unfolds in game I would savely bet that exactly that is what is going to happen.

STO has always had the claim to play in the prime universe and even the decade long kelvin day and age was not only dismissed as another timeline but even outsources as another universe in game.

That’s at least my take on it. STO will adjust one way or the other to stay authentic with Trek's mainstream. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Picard has 2 Romulan women working for him at his vineyard.
    >
    >
    >
    > He says two beautiful Romulan people.
    >
    > If you rewatch the trailer, the Romulan who says "be the captain they remember" is talking to Picard in what looks like his vineyard house. I am going to guess he, and the Romulan woman who says "we do not", and also appears to be in Picard's vineyard house, are the two who work for him.
    >
    > So Romulans can live on Earth now
    >
    >
    >
    > People also pointed out that the red planet all the Romulan ships were flying too is Mars, they even matched up numerous geographical features. Mars seems to have been given to the Romulans as a refugee world.
    >
    > Fitting, given the Romulans connection to the Romans.

I wonder if given that CBS asked for STOs backstory, if we might here about or even see New Romulus.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    >
    > Picard has 2 Romulan women working for him at his vineyard.
    >
    >
    >
    > He says two beautiful Romulan people.
    >
    > If you rewatch the trailer, the Romulan who says "be the captain they remember" is talking to Picard in what looks like his vineyard house. I am going to guess he, and the Romulan woman who says "we do not", and also appears to be in Picard's vineyard house, are the two who work for him.
    >
    > So Romulans can live on Earth now
    >
    >
    >
    > People also pointed out that the red planet all the Romulan ships were flying too is Mars, they even matched up numerous geographical features. Mars seems to have been given to the Romulans as a refugee world.
    >
    > Fitting, given the Romulans connection to the Romans.

I wonder if given that CBS asked for STOs backstory, if we might here about or even see New Romulus.

It would be great if they did, even if live-action limitations change the look a bit (a forest of glowing ferns would be a hard thing to locate for filming...)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Where do you think the possibility of Hugh being leader of the Free Borg (Cooperative) came from?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    With the Discovery show they clearly judge any leaning missions as more important as going forward with their own game related story (Leeta, Lukari, Temporal or whatever).
    That's likely because, as Al has admitted at least twice now, they only had one or two more arcs they wanted to do for STO. There wasn't much left to go forward with STO's narrative.

Though I presume that, once they hit that wall, they would have started doing more stand alone mission, or two parters, that don't necessarily advance some grander story, but simply take advantage of some of the smaller parts of Trek canon that wouldn't logically necessitate a standard 7-8 mission arc to explore.

There is still the Children of Khan that Cryptic has ignored for years.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Data resurrected in B4? Borg invasion of former Romulan space?

Smells like STO. At least Picard isn't taking ques from the Novel verse and that AWFUL Destiny series that destroyed the Borg.

You are evil for not wanting to see the Borg destroyed :p
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Great trailer!

I'm very and happily surprised to see Seven and Data/B4 return! Hopefully more veterans will join in eventually, it would be amazing if they could bring together the crews of Voyager, DS9 and TNG. I can't think of a better cross-over than having an entirely new series that combines all the different crews.

Seeing Tuvok's cool logic and Worf together for example would allow for some interesting pairing.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    djf021 wrote: »
    I have a question- It's well known that Brent Spiner previously said he felt he was getting too old to pull off Data anymore. But in the trailer he didn't seem to look too much older.

Is this CGI de-aging at play, you think?
    Or just the miracle of modern makeup?
    Or, maybe Spiner has actually aged better than he thought he would?

I think it's the make-up, his character was always heavily reliant on make-up so I guess it's that.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder how similar the Cardassian actors would look like.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Chubbier in the face as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am pretty sure it's CGI. It doesn't look as good as the Captain Marvel CGI did, I think, on the other hand, they might have also wanted to make him a bit more non-human (rather than recreating the human in make-up look).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.