test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa Pride

siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
A suggestion that STO should pick just one day of the summer event, and hold a Risa Pride parade/event... Make it optional of course since not everyone will be interested...

There are plenty of LGBT+ folks in the game, and even if the federation has full equality, I'm sure not all cultures in STO do...

If you disagree please feel welcome to present valid counter arguments but please try to avoid knee jerk responses.

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Various fleets and groups have done this. You can fill up instances at Risa or other places if well coordinated.

You will get plenty of gamergate bros on here until it is shut down (which is their goal).

I doubt the game will do anything 'official' but there is nothing stopping you from doing so on your own.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    You're probably right re gater types... but it's no reason not to do it.
    Still, as you say, there are probably community events...
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    There is no LGBT+ movement in the Star Trek universe because there is no need for one. Anyone can be with anyone they want, so there is no need for pride parades or movements, just like today where are no "straight parade" because it's 'normal', in the Star Trek universe being LGBT is also normal. So there is no need to adress it, if you understand the point I'm trying to make.
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    There is no LGBT+ movement in the Star Trek universe because there is no need for one. Anyone can be with anyone they want, so there is no need for pride parades or movements, just like today where are no "straight parade" because it's 'normal', in the Star Trek universe being LGBT is also normal. So there is no need to adress it, if you understand the point I'm trying to make.

In the Federation, you'd be right. But the Federation isn't the only culture in trek.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    siotaylor wrote: »

In the Federation, you'd be right. But the Federation isn't the only culture in trek.

Being LGBTQ is also considered normal for Risa's people so they have no need for an official pride event, just like they don't need to demonstrate against climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, neo-fascism or putting immigrant children in cages. STO is not set in 2019 on Earth. Risa is not Earth.

If you want to pick some culture that is less evolved in Trek and gather on their homeworld as a role playing thing then go ahead. Or gather informally on Risa, they won't mind as long as you're polite to their other guests.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    There's also no need for Risa zone chat to be constantly filled with discussions of 21st-century politics on Earth, particularly from the point of view of the folks who, in a Star Trek universe, must have lost in the long run - but here we are.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Actually, someone started or tried to start a 'straight pride' parade and got major flak from social media for it.

There might not be a need for a LGBT+ movement in the Star Trek universe, but there certainly needs to be one for genetically engineered humans, artificial lifeforms, and maybe Liberated Borg. We have certainly seen bigotry towards genetically engineered humans and artificial lifeforms in Star Trek, but we haven't seen Liberated Borg in Federation society since the only Liberated Borgs in the Federation are on Voyager.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    picard was a liberated borg - being assimilated, then unassimilated = liberated​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,442 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    (Political comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    That's amazing, sthe. Almost every single word you typed was wrong.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    Let's not turn this into political thing, folks, otherwise I will close this.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    picard was a liberated borg - being assimilated, then unassimilated = liberated​​

Picard was never a Borg since he never experienced the horror of being forced to assimilate someone against their will or the struggle of integrating back into society. The next episode of TNG after the Best of Both Worlds had Picard back into the captain's chair instead of taking a bunch of time off and let Riker or someone else command the Enterprise for a few episodes. The only times that Picard suffers from his experience as Locutus is when the plot requires it.
    uhhh...no - the next episode after BOBW had him taking time off for PRECISELY that reason

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Family_(episode)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    starkaos wrote: »
    There might not be a need for a LGBT+ movement in the Star Trek universe, but there certainly needs to be one for genetically engineered humans, artificial lifeforms, and maybe Liberated Borg. We have certainly seen bigotry towards genetically engineered humans and artificial lifeforms in Star Trek, but we haven't seen Liberated Borg in Federation society since the only Liberated Borgs in the Federation are on Voyager.

There is bigotry towards genetically engineered humans because it's illegal in the Federation due to the Eugenics Wars, it's also banned in other powers throughout the Star Trek universe, as it was one of the reasons the Klingon's lost their foreheads back in the day when it went out of control and got mixed in with some kind of other disease, almost wiping out the Klingon's for good.

There is also bigotry towards artificial lifeforms because in the Star Trek universe, a computer can be given a voice and understand commands. It can seem very much alive, take for example the time La Forge is traveling to Risa by shuttle craft and is playing a voice based game with the computer in the shuttlecraft. Or the time the Enterprise-D decided to move out of danger by itself, and later create it's own off-spring. Or the exo-comps. The point is, with all the advanced technology, like with Data it gets harder and harder to form a line between when something is simply a really smart computer or "alive".. That's also a problem we're going to face as computers and things get more and more complex.

uhhh...no - the next episode after BOBW had him taking time off for PRECISELY that reason

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Family_(episode)​​

Either way, it was not enough time. One episode is not enough for someone to recover from being a Borg.

There is bigotry towards genetically engineered humans because it's illegal in the Federation due to the Eugenics Wars, it's also banned in other powers throughout the Star Trek universe, as it was one of the reasons the Klingon's lost their foreheads back in the day when it went out of control and got mixed in with some kind of other disease, almost wiping out the Klingon's for good.

There is also bigotry towards artificial lifeforms because in the Star Trek universe, a computer can be given a voice and understand commands. It can seem very much alive, take for example the time La Forge is traveling to Risa by shuttle craft and is playing a voice based game with the computer in the shuttlecraft. Or the time the Enterprise-D decided to move out of danger by itself, and later create it's own off-spring. Or the exo-comps. The point is, with all the advanced technology, like with Data it gets harder and harder to form a line between when something is simply a really smart computer or "alive".. That's also a problem we're going to face as computers and things get more and more complex.

Bigotry towards genetically engineered humans and artificial lifeforms is based off the actions of an incident like the Eugenic Wars or Control from Discovery and not the actions of an individual's character. All that matters is an individual's character not how they were born or created which is why it is the Federation's bigotry and not a reasonable course of action for the Federation to take.
    he DIDN'T recover - they make it very clear in i, borg and especially in first contact that he hasn't recovered from the trauma...though any sign of it was suspiciously absent in descent​​

#LegalizeAwoo

he DIDN'T recover - they make it very clear in i, borg and especially in first contact that he hasn't recovered from the trauma...though any sign of it was suspiciously absent in descent​​

It was suspiciously absent in the vast majority of TNG episodes. As I said in a previous post, "The only times that Picard suffers from his experience as Locutus is when the plot requires it."

It was suspiciously absent in the vast majority of TNG episodes. As I said in a previous post, "The only times that Picard suffers from his experience as Locutus is when the plot requires it."

You could also argue that Picard always suffers from it, but never shows it. So that's why it's never displayed throughout TNG except for then the plot requires it. You could imagine he has constant nightmares and so forth, Picard is not the person to openly talk about things like this, feelings and so forth. As throughout TNG, he never really talks to family except in the episode Brothers. He has always seen himself as the Captain, that has to distance himself from everyone under his command and all that stuff.

Kinda like how every episode of TNG does not involve Data wanting to become more human, only when the plot requires it. It's always a wish, or a need. It's always there, just not always on screen.
    PTSD does not randomly occur...it needs a trigger event - in this case, contact with the borg

the reason it doesn't show up through most of TNG is because most of TNG didn't have borg in it​​

#LegalizeAwoo

edited July 2019
    The only times that Picard suffers from his experience as Locutus is when the plot requires it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzoxcErOc8

Edited to add: This is what PTSD looks like. It's not constantly breaking down, it's not just flashing back to the moment of the trauma - it's a constant refrain somewhere in the brain that "I should have been able to stop this." My roommate still blames himself for the fact that he came home from Iraq, but eighteen other people didn't - he thinks that somehow a sergeant who was supposed to be a cook but was shifted to convoy duty instead should have been able to stop Iraqi insurgents from attacking the trucks, or prevented the IEDs from going off, or something. You wouldn't necessarily know it to look at him - sometimes entire days go by without any mention of the events - but it's come up in conversation a few times, especially after a couple of beers, and it's always there inside him.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    The in-universe time between the weekly episodes that we see is not one week. "Back in the chair in the next episode" (though actually not correct) wouldn't necessarily mean "after one week."

We also don't see on-screen any mandatory counselling and follow-up medical treatment. They probably treated Picard's face first to help him recover mentally, with things like internal organs being a lower priority.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User
    The in-universe time between the weekly episodes that we see is not one week. "Back in the chair in the next episode" (though actually not correct) wouldn't necessarily mean "after one week."

We also don't see on-screen any mandatory counselling and follow-up medical treatment. They probably treated Picard's face first to help him recover mentally, with things like internal organs being a lower priority.

Quite true. Another example is the TOS episode "Shore Leave" happened at least three months after the previous episode "Balance of Terror" since dialog established that they had been out doing stellar survey for three months straight and were going stir crazy cooped up with nothing but boring routine to do (and Balance of Terror was anything but boring routine).