test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Charbun made Picard Showrunner

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://deadline.com/2019/06/michael-chabon-showrunner-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-series-1202638580/

This is just going to feed the rumours that Kurtzmen has been fired in all, but name.

Perhaps that would be for the best, not because I have anything against Kurtzmen, but because he's become a lightening rod for critics, and if he steps back, unhappy people might give the new Star Trek series a second chance.

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    https://deadline.com/2019/06/michael-chabon-showrunner-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-series-1202638580/

This is just going to feed the rumours that Kurtzmen has been fired in all, but name.

Perhaps that would be for the best, not because I have anything against Kurtzmen, but because he's become a lightening rod for critics, and if he steps back, unhappy people might give the new Star Trek series a second chance.

It won't help. If a company fixes a problem that miserable people complain about, then they will just find something new to complain about. However, the new Picard series won't receive the same amount of outrage that Discovery received.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The so called outrage is more a storm in a teacup, and had no substance to it.

For Discovery or the Picard series? For the Picard series, I would agree with you, but not for Discovery.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    At least I'm not the only one seeing a pattern in the complaints...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    The other Star Trek series didn't exist in the era of social media so any outrage from them would have been isolated. Then there is the fact that Discovery is the only prequel set 10 years before another Star Trek series and what it did to the Klingons. Both situations would cause outrage in various Star Trek fans. At least Enterprise had the decency to be set 100 years before TOS. Discovery would always be compared with TOS like why does Discovery have X when TOS didn't. The benefit of sequels is that there is no need to explain new technology, but it becomes a problem with prequels. The TNG explanation for Klingons is easily explained by the makeup techniques of the 1960s were not sufficient for what the Klingons should look like, but the Discovery Klingons in the first season looked like a completely new alien race that had nothing in common with the Klingon look used for the past 30 years.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > The other Star Trek series didn't exist in the era of social media so any outrage from them would have been isolated. Then there is the fact that Discovery is the only prequel set 10 years before another Star Trek series and what it did to the Klingons. Both situations would cause outrage in various Star Trek fans. At least Enterprise had the decency to be set 100 years before TOS. Discovery would always be compared with TOS like why does Discovery have X when TOS didn't. The benefit of sequels is that there is no need to explain new technology, but it becomes a problem with prequels. The TNG explanation for Klingons is easily explained by the makeup techniques of the 1960s were not sufficient for what the Klingons should look like, but the Discovery Klingons in the first season looked like a completely new alien race that had nothing in common with the Klingon look used for the past 30 years.

Good points. It's why Discovery bailed on being a prequel and became a sequelsequel instead for season 3 and beyond. No more landmines.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    The other Star Trek series didn't exist in the era of social media so any outrage from them would have been isolated.
    Kids these days. No concept of the 'zines. (sigh)

Hell, I remember the arguments in the lettercol of big slick mags like Starlog. They took a lot longer than modern flame wars, but they were there, all right. What we're seeing today seems a bit more vocal, mostly because it's easier to type out a comment in a forum than back in the day when you actually had to write (and often it was by hand, many people didn't have tyepwriters at home) a letter, put it in an envelope, stick a stamp on it, and hustle down to the mailbox to send it off. And the feedback wasn't as immediate as this, either, so you didn't get that little surge of satisfaction when someone agreed with you quickly.

Basically, it's more convenient these days to express opinions - but trust me, that doesn't mean there are more people with them, it's just the difference between using a loudspeaker and getting on TV.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    His name is Chabon. Kurtzman has not been fired, he provided this announcement and 2 others in the last 3 days. Midnight's Edge blatantly makes things up, as does Nerdist, they have no sources and no actual news organization is reporting on their made up TRIBBLE except for I09 who get fooled by every fake story and seemingly every update to one of their stories is a retraction.

He is all but fired in name... your half way thru filming the show and you switch or announce a show runner now? Where there is smoke, there is a Fire. Shill media is shill media, it's all access media, fluff pieces and corp double talk.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Why misspell his name when the link included highlights the correct ..... you know what, never mind. I keep forgetting what era I'm in!
    valoreah wrote: »
    ^ This is complete and total B.S.

Just read any books or watch any documentaries - "Chaos on the Bridge" being one of the more recent ones - about the fan outrage when TNG was first announced. You'll hear about it direct from the proverbial horses' mouth - people who actually worked on the show, read all the hate mail they received, read all the articles in various fan magazines lambasting the decision to not have Kirk and Spock etc.

"Fans" whining and crying about Star Trek is as old as Star Trek itself.

I don't think he's saying there wasn't outrage. He's just saying its a LOT more visible and a LOT more immediate these days.
    Social Media has given those vocal people a platform to not only rant and rave, but to find like minded people who also access the same Media, thus giving them the ability to amplify their "message". And anyone who disagrees or, heaven forbid, actually willing to give something a chance, they attack en masse because said individual has committed Blasphemy and must be punished until they "see the light".

If anything... We've gone from simple hate mail to full on internet fueled Crusades. Its gotten worse.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I don't really care who's the executive producer as long as the actual episodes are written by descent writers who mesh well in cohesive story arcs. That generally happens when executive producers stay the hell away from writing themselves (B&B and Roddenberry spring to mind).

Good executive producers are amplified by good writers, bad executive producers can always be overcome by good writers.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    No, the word used was "isolated" - it wasn't isolated by any means.

In order to experience the outrage before social media, you had to belong to a certain group like reading the letters in magizines, discussion groups, news groups, BBS, etc. Therefore, outrage was isolated from anyone that didn't belong to one of these groups. If you were actively engaged in one of these groups that experienced the outrage, then it didn't feel isolated since it was part of the group, but to people that weren't part of these groups, then the outrage was isolated from you. With social media, it doesn't matter if you are part of the group or not.
    In order to experience the outrage before social media, you had to belong to a certain group like reading the letters in magizines, discussion groups, news groups, BBS, etc. Therefore, outrage was isolated from anyone that didn't belong to one of these groups. If you were actively engaged in one of these groups that experienced the outrage, then it didn't feel isolated since it was part of the group, but to people that weren't part of these groups, then the outrage was isolated from you. With social media, it doesn't matter if you are part of the group or not.

Well I hate to tell you, I personally know dozens of people who are social media junkies who never heard of Discovery, never saw or read anything about it. Some barely even know what Star Trek is. Heck, one guy I work with one time asked "is that the one with the lightsabers?" I can near guarantee they are not the only ones out there.

The whining about Discovery is just as "isolated" now as it always has been - to people who follow the IP.

There is a huge difference between being isolated to those who follow the IP and isolated to those who read a particular magazine, belong to a specific news group, BBS, etc for the IP.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Well there's a difference dependent on how big of a group can or is isolated.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Well there's a difference dependent on how big of a group can or is isolated.​​
    Yeah, that's the thing, One person posting on Twitter might theoretically mean everyone on twitter can see it, but the reality is most will look at other things instead.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Yeah, that's the thing, One person posting on Twitter might theoretically mean everyone on twitter can see it, but the reality is most will look at other things instead.

Does anyone honestly believe that people who don't follow or care one iota about Star Trek cares what some nerd rants about Discovery on Twitter?

If they are nerds that care about Star Trek, then they care about what other nerds that care about Star Trek say on Twitter. It is far easier to rant about Discovery and have others hear your rant in 2019 than it was to rant about TNG and have others hear your rant in 1987.
    If they are nerds that care about Star Trek, then they care about what other nerds that care about Star Trek say on Twitter. It is far easier to rant about Discovery and have others hear your rant in 2019 than it was to rant about TNG and have others hear your rant in 1987.

Thats... totally not what I said. Perhaps read my post again.

Easier? Sure. More widespread? Nope.

If someone was ranting in a magazine in 1987, then you had to buy that particular magazine or subscribe to that magazine. It didn't matter if that person was famous or not, the exposure would be limited to the readership of that magazine. With social media, certain rants can become viral and exposed to a ton more people that would have never heard about it. It helps being famous to expose the rant to far more people, but it is not necessary. It is far easier for a rant to spread to as many people now compared to 1987. After all, how many of those idiotic Discovery Lawsuits thread have we had in the past 2 years?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    After all, how many of those idiotic Discovery Lawsuits thread have we had in the past 2 years?
    How many are made by people who didn't read the first one? There's just sooo many things on the internet. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User

Thats... totally not what I said. Perhaps read my post again.

Easier? Sure. More widespread? Nope.

If someone was ranting in a magazine in 1987, then you had to buy that particular magazine or subscribe to that magazine.
    In 1987, if there was a magazine with an article or letter about Trek, and you were a Trekkie, you read that issue. Even if it meant standing at the bookstore, hoping the manager didn't notice that you weren't buying anything.

I'm not sure I can convey to a child of the Internet how hungry we could be for any least scrap of information about Trek, back in the day. Even when TNG came on the air, it was first-run syndicated, so if you could even watch it depended on whether a local station had picked it up, whether your antenna could receive that station, and when exactly the station manager decided to put it on the air. VCRs existed, after a fashion, but were hard to set up, and two episodes would be one tape - and those two-hour tapes weren't cheap, let me tell you.

But go back further. TMP premiered in 1979. The cartoon had been off the air for years; rumors had been floating about a supposed Phase II TV show in the works, but all we had were rumors, and even those had to be gleaned from Starlog or someone's zine - or, rarely, a brief mention in one of the SF magazines. If you found print about Trek, it was devoured. Hell, we read those crappy books Timescape put out - I actually read Marshak and Culbreath's Phoenix duology, which is how I found the courage to even write my stories here, because if that overwritten slashfic could be published, why not my stuff?

So yes, while the expression of opinion outside your local circle was limited to those sufficiently motivated to write a letter, we all read those letters.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    So yes, while the expression of opinion outside your local circle was limited to those sufficiently motivated to write a letter, we all read those letters.

This is the same problem as Everybody Knows in the other thread. All you can prove is that everybody you knew read those letters not every Star Trek fan read those letters and only some of the Trekkies read the letters while others might have only read some of the letters or just the articles.
    The whole point is that it is actually A LOT EASIER to reach out to Trek fans than it was back then. Would we be having this conversation so easily back in 1987? No. Because the technology didn't really exist back then. It does now. That is why we hear more about "outrage" and stuff these days. Because its easier to communicate, and easier to actually acquire information.

Back then, just as jonsills said, you'd have to get it from magazines and stuff, but you couldn't really throw in your 2 ECs on the subject. Today, with Facebook, Twitter, even YouTube, anyone and everyone can throw in their 2 ECs if they so choose. Not only that... it is easy to find like minded people, thereby increasing the volume of some message or another. Hence why we hear so much about the "rage" against... well... anything that isn't 100% Word of God perfect true to the original. And why a lot of the frickin' complaints seem to be recycled from previous shows that people didn't like because "it wasn't done right" or "they violated canon".

Back then it was really just sending letters to the studio. Not really something that gets published or seen by anyone else. Today... you can post on Twitter and be seen by hundreds, if not thousands.

Here's another example. The upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie. The CG design for Sonic himself is very controvertial among fans. Back in the day that feedback wouldn't have been so available because it would be limited to mail in feedback and test viewers, and its entirely possible that by the time they get that feedback... its too late to do anything about it. Today... with the power of the Internet, people can give immediate feedback. And the studio actually heard that feedback and made the decision to actually listen in this case and push back the movie in order to work on the CG model for Sonic.
    Sure you probably don't care one way or the other what Sonic will look like in the movie, but the fact remains that the ability to communicate opinions has drastically increased over the years. Not only that... it is a lot more available and visible to the world at large.