test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What purpose could the flaps on the Galaxy Dreadnought pylons possibly serve?

pino31pino31 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
edited June 2019 in Ten Forward
I've always wondered since the ship design appeared in the TNG finale years and years ago, but just now getting around to trying to find out:

What purpose could the flaps on the pylons possibly serve?

All I can think they might do, is get in the way of phaser firing arcs...

So any speculation?

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Aerodynamics.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Cooling fins. Those systems probably get awfully hot in use...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    pino31 wrote: »

Their purpose is to look cool.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    Cooling fins. Those systems probably get awfully hot in use...

A very logical, functional purpose.

Probably the RL reason. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    pino31 wrote: »

The rule of cool
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      Same reason Tom Paris wanted the delta flyer to have fins.
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Same reason Tom Paris wanted the delta flyer to have fins.

Wasn't one of his reasons to make it look meaner to intimidate would be attackers?
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
      My theory?

They balance the ship during warp travel, 3 nacelles need to be balanced evenly in a warp field so the pylons compensate for that.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
      jake477 wrote: »
      My theory?

They balance the ship during warp travel, 3 nacelles need to be balanced evenly in a warp field so the pylons compensate for that.

Somewhat countered by the existance of single nacelle ships though. While the Kelvin type has a secondary hull, the Wolf 359 fleet Freedom class doesn't.
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      > @rattler2 said:
      > Somewhat countered by the existance of single nacelle ships though. While the Kelvin type has a secondary hull, the Wolf 359 fleet Freedom class doesn't.

Andrew Probert suggested the Freedom-class just has two sets of warp coils in a single nacelle. That was to reconcile it with the Roddenberry "rule" that warp coils have to come in pairs and have line of sight to each other (which he made up to spite Franz Joseph).
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      That is true.
      Could also explain why the Kelvin type has a larger nacelle so to speak.
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      the paired nacelles rule probably only applies to certain types of warp drive, since alien ships seemingly ignore it.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      > @markhawkman said:
      > the paired nacelles rule probably only applies to certain types of warp drive, since alien ships seemingly ignore it.

Well, Probert designed the D'Deridex so that the big gap between the twin hulls fulfills the line-of-sight requirement, and we have no idea what kind of propulsion First Federation or Tholian ships use (and the Tholians' general schtick is that nobody has any real idea what their schtick actually IS, anyway). According to him, ships like the Galor that broke the "rule" were designed without his or Roddenberry's input.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
      edited June 2019
      well, obviously...given the galor showed up AFTER roddenberry died​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      More than that, there's just less things that DO follow it than don't even if you don't use anything newer than season 2 of TNG...
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      Klingon BoP.
      Civilian Transport that was destroyed in ST5.
      Tholians.
      Ferengi D'Kora....
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      IIRC the Galaxy-Class nacelle contains two sets of warp coils, so any ship using that nacelle pattern (such as the Freedom-Class) would automatically have at least two coils in one nacelle. That's also why the Galaxy-X's third nacelle works - three nacelles = three pairs of warp coils.

That's what Probert said in the Ent-D magazine for the Starships Collection anyway, IIRC.
      rattler2 wrote: »
      That is true.
      Could also explain why the Kelvin type has a larger nacelle so to speak.

It's not that large. It's a bit longer than nacelles usually are but it's still as thin in relation to the secondary hull as the Conni's nacelles are
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Actually... it looks more like its about as beefy as the Kelvin's Primary hull.
      latest?cb=20100409090745&path-prefix=en

Compared to the USS Enterprise...
      latest?cb=20171022133400&path-prefix=en
      dsc-newentmodified-head.jpg

Both pre-refit configurations have the nacelles smaller in diameter vs the Primary Hull. The Discovery configuration's are a bit bigger, but still not comparable like the Kelvin nacelle.
      And note I was using the Prime universe version of the Enterprise, as the Kelvin exists in both timelines, and the Kelvin Connie's nacelles vs Primary Hull comparison is wonky as all hell.
      A side view of the model would be better. The lens effect distorts the image and the nacelle tapers anyway.
      I was also comparing the Kelvin to the Prime Connis as the KT Conni has some weird proportions.

#TASforSTO

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      The Kelvin's nacelle is a rocket engine, though. It spews flames and goes "Vrooooom" pig-2.gif​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      The Kelvin's nacelle is a rocket engine, though. It spews flames and goes "Vrooooom" pig-2.gif​​

*Sounds of teeth-gnashing and JJ-cursing.*
      The Kelvin's nacelle is a rocket engine, though. It spews flames and goes "Vrooooom" pig-2.gif

It flares slightly but most of the effect is the lense flare. The impulse block flares more. It's been long repeated that the nacelle has some sort of impulse engine on it due to that lense flare. That is incorrect, it's just a trick of the light.

This post is hardly related to yours, so why quote it? Good question. It makes it look like I'm talking to somebody which is a good way of disguising random facts.​​

#TASforSTO

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User

Both pre-refit configurations have the nacelles smaller in diameter vs the Primary Hull. The Discovery configuration's are a bit bigger, but still not comparable like the Kelvin nacelle.
      And note I was using the Prime universe version of the Enterprise, as the Kelvin exists in both timelines, and the Kelvin Connie's nacelles vs Primary Hull comparison is wonky as all hell.

Kelvin ships apparently do not use the same drive systems a s prime universe ships do. What Kelvin calls "warp" takes them from Earth to Vulcan at transwarp speed, and the special effects they show in "Into Darkness" not only show transwarp style visual effects, the dialog mentions that it is impossible to catch up with a ship in warp which is not true of the prime timeline warp (as several episodes with running battles show).

Kelvin ships apparently do not use the same drive systems a s prime universe ships do. What Kelvin calls "warp" takes them from Earth to Vulcan at transwarp speed, and the special effects they show in "Into Darkness" not only show transwarp style visual effects, the dialog mentions that it is impossible to catch up with a ship in warp which is not true of the prime timeline warp (as several episodes with running battles show).

Nope. They use warp.

#TASforSTO

edited June 2019
      artan42 wrote: »

Nope. They use warp.

True, they do call it "warp" and except for the extra speed it does act a lot like the jump-style warp that you apparently cannot see out of that the DSC ships use. They both "jump to" warp like a Star Wars ship going into hyperspace and apparently disappear off sensors or otherwise become immune to chasing fire or course tracking, and both seem to be blind when "dropping out" of warp so they end up in debris or asteroid fields that a TOS, TNG, or other old-prime ship would see and avoid easily.

The question isn't really do they use something referred to as "warp", it is more a matter of is what they call "warp" the same thing as what all the other Treks call "warp".

As for the flaps, similar ones on other ships, as well as variable geometry features, were often identified as "warp field shapers" based on the same priciple as the warp sustatiners in tech manuals and whatnot (including offhand answers given by official sources to questions about why starships would have useless fins and moving wings in the vacuum of space) back in the TOS-crew movie/TNG series era. I would imagine they serve the same purpose on the Galaxy-X.

Nope. They use warp.

True, they do call it "warp" and except for the extra speed it does act a lot like the jump-style warp that you apparently cannot see out of that the DSC ships use. They both "jump to" warp like a Star Wars ship going into hyperspace and apparently disappear off sensors or otherwise become immune to chasing fire or course tracking, and both seem to be blind when "dropping out" of warp so they end up in debris or asteroid fields that a TOS, TNG, or other old-prime ship would see and avoid easily.

The question isn't really do they use something referred to as "warp", it is more a matter of is what they call "warp" the same thing as what all the other Treks call "warp".

Nope. It's warp, same as all the other warp.

If you look really closely, you'll notice the warp effect always changes and people don't post stupid things about the rainbow bridge from TMP or the silly vanishing act from TOS. It's just a different effect for the same thing.

Your other points weren't worthy of being addressed either as you're deliberately pretending warp hasn't always taken as long as the plot requires it to.

Put some thought into things and stop pretending The KT and DSC are any different from other instances of Trek.​​

#TASforSTO

The Warp effects have constantly changed over the course of Star Trek. TMP era was different from TNG era, which also had a few differences in the TNG Movies (especially Nemesis), which was different in the Kelvin Timeline, which is different from Discovery.
      As for how fast it is... it goes at the Speed of Plot.

I think a lot of people already take issue with how fast the Enterprise was able to get from Qo'nos to Earth. As for Earth to Vulcan, it can be argued that we don't know how long Kirk was sedated before waking up. Especially since the next time we see McCoy, he's in an acutal uniform rather than a cadet one.

Nope. They use warp.

Nope. It's warp, same as all the other warp.

If you look really closely, you'll notice the warp effect always changes and people don't post stupid things about the rainbow bridge from TMP or the silly vanishing act from TOS. It's just a different effect for the same thing.

Your other points weren't worthy of being addressed either as you're deliberately pretending warp hasn't always taken as long as the plot requires it to.

Put some thought into things and stop pretending The KT and DSC are any different from other instances of Trek.​​

Now you have me curious, what is the "silly vanishing act from TOS" you mention?

If you are talking about the last scene in The Motion Picture, that was a crude attempt to show the ship smoothly accelerating to FTL speeds using the limitations of physical model photography and 24 frames per second crank speed. Even at the time it was not a great effect, and it was later misinterpreted into that "rainbow bridge" you speak if.

It mostly boils down a combination of the movie industry's notorious lack of regard for TV shows and their producers along with a style shift in the industry as Hollywood started taking science fiction a bit more seriously and in so doing subtly limited it to certain pigeonholes favored by the top executives. And one of the things those executives loved was the success of Star Wars and the idea of a little of it rubbing off if they imitated its style in various ways so everything started taking on the greebley bare steel look of that style and other things like the "jump to lightspeed" idea.

In TOS warp was seamless. In many episodes they left orbit in warp and arrived at their destination without ever using impulse drive at all, sometimes with a battle somewhere in the middle also done in warp. Impulse was more of a backup drive than anything else, unlike it was in the movies and later series like TNG.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
      The idea in TOS was that impulse was supposed to be for sublight travel, with FTL accomplished by warp drives. However, the writers weren't terribly consistent on this point, because nobody ever expected the show would have nitpicky long-term fans like us. We never actually saw a ship go to warp in TOS, unless you count that moment in the credits when the ship suddenly accelerated away from the camera (just at the end of Shatner's voiceover, just before the Courage score and the ship whooshing past to deliver the credits).

TMP used the rainbow circle; the later TOS-crew movies went with a rainbow trail. TNG originated the blue skidmarks. As for what it looked like outside, the TV shows mostly went with a moving starfield because it was cheap. The KT movies introduced that weird scrolling-color thing, probably because someone remembered the hyperspace effect from the SW movies and thought it looked cool. (Same place they got their bigger-is-better obsession too, I think - the various series prior to ENT pretty much avoided that, with the relatively small sizes of the Defiant and Voyager.)

I like the skidmarks; I also like the DSC warp graphic, where there's a brief flash, the ship elongates, and there's that subdued almost-electronic sound.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png