test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I noticed something in Disco

shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
Ok the part where Pike has a flash of his future did anyone notice the dress uniform he was wearing? It sure smacked of Kelvin timeline dress uniform from what I could tell. I know it has been said this is set before the original series but seeing the uniform he had on still makes it look like this is really the kelvin timeline era or close to it

Comments

• shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    OK so I don’t know what happened but did anyone notice when pike in the discovery episode seen his future he was wearing what looked like a Kelvin timeline uniform it makes me wonder if this is really set in the Kelvin timeline or an alternate Kelvin timeline
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    OK so I don’t know what happened but did anyone notice when pike in the discovery episode seen his future he was wearing what looked like a Kelvin timeline uniform it makes me wonder if this is really set in the Kelvin timeline or an alternate Kelvin timeline
    it's actually a variant of the "Gage" excursion jacket from what I can see, just because there's similarities doesn't mean it's the same uniform to the Kelvin ones, as there's also clear differences.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    We already know what happened to Pike in the Kelvin Timeline.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    its Prime. Pike in the Prime universe gets stuck in the chair with the lights. Alt Pike gets killed by Khan
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator

What happened was you created a non-game related thread in GenDisc, and it was moved to Ten Forward, where it belongs. Your new one was also moved to Ten Forward and merged with your original. /Moved /Merged
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I can easily believe that Discovery is set in a new timeline created by the extensive use of time travel in Enterprise, but not that Discovery is set in the Kelvin Timeline. Discovery is set in the same time as Star Trek 2009 so Kirk should have been Captain of the Enterprise in Season 2 of Discovery if Discovery was set in the Kelvin Timeline.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's just a Pilot era dress uniform, excursion uniform, or admirals uniform or something of the like. It has a passing resemblance to the KT dress uniforms but if you follow that ridiculous train of thought then as the TOS duty uniforms also resemble the KT duty uniforms you're saying TOS is also in the KT.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Nope, its Prime.

If it was prime universe then it should look a little more like the original series look at the pictures pretty close to 2009 trek
    khan5000 wrote: »
    its Prime. Pike in the Prime universe gets stuck in the chair with the lights. Alt Pike gets killed by Khan

I am not talking about what happened to him I am talking about the uniform looking close to 2009 trek

artan42 wrote: »
    It's just a Pilot era dress uniform, excursion uniform, or admirals uniform or something of the like. It has a passing resemblance to the KT dress uniforms but if you follow that ridiculous train of thought then as the TOS duty uniforms also resemble the KT duty uniforms you're saying TOS is also in the KT.

What I am trying to say is it is more Kelvin looking to me
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    More than what though?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Nope, its Prime.

If it was prime universe then it should look a little more like the original series look at the pictures pretty close to 2009 trek

No it shouldn't. It's before TOS so it should look exactly like it does in DSC.

Where do you think the Kelvin Timeline designs come from? The split was in 2233, most of the same people will be alive in both timelines. Obviously the person who designed the uniforms in the Prime Timeline did so in the KT as well.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Maybe it was an instructor's uniform
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
      It's a variant of this uniform or to be accurate of the excursion jacket. While it does share some minor similarities with the KT admiral's uniform there's not the same.

The Prime Excusion/heavy jacket has flap at the front, either no rank insignia or insignia only at shoulder and no collar. The Kelvin timeline dress greys have , no flap only a zipper at front, insignia both at shoulders and sleeves and a button up collar.
      The only deciding factor that matters at all is what the IP owner says. Nothing else is relevant at all. The IP owner CBS, who owns Trek lock stock and barrel (Paramount liscenses film rights from CBS), has stated that Discovery is Prime, and thats it, absolutely definitive, no debate is possible. Looks are irrelevant.
      Honestly other then the shoulder rank insignia and Starfleet delta pin that jacket is practically indentical to the heavy jacket worn in "the Gage" (aka TOS pilot) when you account for the fact that TOS was shot on film with less sensitive cameras in a time when more TVs were black and white, while Discovery is shot on digital and it's meant to be shown in modern hi-def TV sets.

One must remember the technical limitations TOS had to face, just on their side but also on the side of the viewer, there would have been no point for them to lit the scenes more realistically as that would just resulted in a blurry mess on B/W TVs and would cost them viewers.

It's probably(or at least is probably one of the reasons) why Orville tried to replicate the TNG era asthetic as that's much closer to modern asthetics as far as technical limitations go and thus wouldn't look as silly on modern TVs to people who didn't see the Trek series Orville is paying respect to.
      I can't get over how the ship looks like it was designed by an eldritch nightmare though. :p
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
      edited June 2019
      I can't get over how the ship looks like it was designed by an eldritch nightmare though. :p

The design of the Orville reminds me of Andromeda.
      latest?cb=20091014201645

As for eldritch nightmare...
      Narada-star-trek-2009-6085618-1920-800.jpg
      I'd say the Narada fit that rather well. ESPECIALLY when she came out of the singularity in front of the Kelvin.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      Well, yes, Narada looks like eldritch horror too...
      ORV101_Orville_with_planet_hires1.jpg
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing

The Orville looks like the modern version reason of how the TOS Enterprise was a structural impossibility in the 60s rather than as an eldritch horror.
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      starkaos wrote: »

The Orville looks like the modern version reason of how the TOS Enterprise was a structural impossibility in the 60s rather than as an eldritch horror.

These two are not necessarily exclusive. After all, eldritch horrors are also invoking a feel of impossibility.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      starkaos wrote: »

These two are not necessarily exclusive. After all, eldritch horrors are also invoking a feel of impossibility.

True, but eldritch horrors are supposed to invoke a sense of fear and/or disgust into those that see it. The Orville is just a cool futuristic starship that is currently not possible.
    • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
      To me the Orville design looks similar to the U.S.S. Voyager. Not really a fan of the design. I am not into conspiracy theories, I accept that Star Trek: Discovery is in the Prime Timeline and that the U.S.S. Kelvin is in the Kelvin Timeline.
      Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
      sthe91 wrote: »
      To me the Orville design looks similar to the U.S.S. Voyager. Not really a fan of the design. I am not into conspiracy theories, I accept that Star Trek: Discovery is in the Prime Timeline and that the U.S.S. Kelvin is in the Kelvin Timeline.

The USS Kelvin is in the Prime Timeline if the Kelvin Timeline branched off from the Prime Timeline. If the Kelvin Timeline is a parallel universe and not the branched timeline, then the USS Kelvin doesn't have to exist in the Prime Timeline.

Well that's wrong (as is the tinfoilhatted starkaos below).

The USS Kelvin is a Prime Timeline ship. The timeline diverged upon Nero's entry in front of it.​​

#TASforSTO

USS Kelvin is both Prime and Kelvin Timeline because she existed before the split, and was present AT the point of divergence.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Well that's wrong (as is the tinfoilhatted starkaos below).

The USS Kelvin is a Prime Timeline ship. The timeline diverged upon Nero's entry in front of it.​​

How was I wrong in my statement? If the Kelvin Timeline is a branched timeline, then the USS Kelvin has to exist in the Prime Timeline. If the Kelvin Timeline is a parallel universe and not a branched timeline, then the USS Kelvin doesn't have to exist in the Prime Timeline. Only what is shown on the screen matters not from some interview.

I have always believed in the position that only someone like Q or Daniels would be able to determine if the Kelvin Timeline was a parallel universe or a branched timeline not some scene between the Enterprise crew in Star Trek 2009 due to the Enterprise crew not doing anything to determine where Spock or Nero came from. After all, the Enterprise crew didn't bother with scanning Spock's and Nero's quantum signature to determine if they were from the future or a parallel universe. There is no way to determine if a person is from the future or from a parallel universe that looks like the future without scanning for chroniton particles or their quantum signature. So there is no way to tell whether the Kelvin Timeline is the result of a branched timeline or a parallel universe.

As far as STO is concerned, the Kelvin Timeline is a parallel universe and not a branched timeline according to the Terminal Expanse mission. Of course, that raises the issue of whether we went to the Kelvin Timeline in the Terminal Expanse mission or if there is a Kelvin-Movie Timeline and Kelvin-STO Timeline.

This argument has been beating to death by now and no one will change their minds.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMK0qLVt0UU

Actually... I think it was explained rather well by Spock. For all intents and purposes it is an Alternate Reality. HOW it came to be is basically a branching event, as described.
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Actually... I think it was explained rather well by Spock. For all intents and purposes it is an Alternate Reality. HOW it came to be is basically a branching event, as described.

Alternate Reality is a catchall term for Parallel Universe, Branched Timeline, etc. There is no way for the Enterprise crew to know if Spock and Nero came from the 24th Century or a parallel universe that looks like the 24th Century. In the end, it doesn't matter where Spock or Nero came from. The only reason why determining whether the alternate reality is a parallel universe or branched timeline is important is for events that happened before 2233. If it is a branched timeline, then everything before 2233 has to be the same except a few exceptions due to time travel while if it is a parallel universe, then it doesn't matter if the events before 2233 are the same or not. In a branched timeline, all the time travel events after 2233 would be reset and new time travel events would occur resulting in a few differences. Changing the outcomes of certain events can be explained by resetting time travel, but not changing the evolutionary path of alien species. Parallel universes allow for more creativity while branched timelines restrict creativity.