test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Purchasing Zen through steam/paypal is not giving the bonus amount the advertisement states.

grancommesgrancommes Member Posts: 58 Arc User
I paid $50.
I got 6000 zen, rather than 6300.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11166913-zen-charge-bonus!

Support is giving me the runaround, pretending that the ad says something it does not.
Is support correct, and the advertisement wrong - or is support full of it?

Comments

• grancommesgrancommes Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    I've never had purchases through steam/paypal mysteriously give less zen than the star trek online advertisements say.

I'd like to know how star trek online justifies NOT providing what they said they'd provide.
    Is this fraud a constant, or is this a one-time mistake?
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I purchased $20 worth using Steam yesterday and got the bonus. I received 2400 I think it was. I didn't pay attention to the exact amount, I just saw that I got bonus Zen.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • novonovinovonovi Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I got a bonus, but not the advertised bonus. I submitted a bug report, but I don't know if there is a known issue. I used Steam through the C-store interface which did not provide the advertised amount upon completion.
    I wouldn't be surprised if nobody at cryptic realizes the bonuses are not the right amount.

I'll get paypal involved if this drags on for more than a week, then I'm sure Cryptic will start paying attention.

Shame too, I was going to make another purchase.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I buy Zen using pre-paid cards...so the wife doesn't get mad at me for spending money on my free game. Paying cash for a card means the purchase doesn't show up on the account. Anyway, this time I bought Steam cards because I couldn't find any of the Arc cards at the time.
    I definitely noticed the amount I was getting because in the past, using a pre-paid Arc card during a Zen bonus promotion did not give any bonus Zen, which is in line with what they state as pre-paid Arc cads are not on the list. Using my Steam wallet to buy Zen, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I did get the Zen bonus. Because I purchased Zen solely because I was 54 Zen short of buying a key ring pack, I just went back and looked at my Zen balance and I currently have 2346, so although I didn't actually check at the time, it is definite that I did receive the bonus Zen, exactly as advertised.
    If you did not receive the bonus Zen, it is not because of any kind of false advertising gimmick that is happening to everyone. I would definitely get hold of customer service and try to get the situation rectified.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    edited May 2019
    They did credit my account with the missing zen, which they say is a one-time courtesy, implying they believe they are correct.

They pointed to an ad which states:

"Steam Purchases receive the bonus but do not receive extra ZEN for buying in bulk"

But nowhere on that ad does it say what the "extra ZEN for buying in bulk" is.
    It says $50 => 5000 zen + 1300 bonus zen => 6300 zen.

So I suppose support was trying to say part of the "extra ZEN for buying in bulk" is part of the bonus zen, which the ad says "Steam Purchases receive the bonus".

Regardless, the ad I saw is still up there, without even the steam disclaimer.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11166913-zen-charge-bonus!

If I'm going to make a purchase in the future, I need to know what I'm getting.
    This effort to penalize steam purchases must be relatively new.
    It didn't happen a couple years ago.
  • novonovinovonovi Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Everything on that ad leads you to believe that use of any of those sources should give you the purchase amount shown in the table. There should be no "disclaimer" hidden somewhere or found out after the fact. Isn't that similar to a bait and switch?