test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Private Servers for Dead MMOs

13»

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I am very much against stealing but a COH server will make me question my morals
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    ...or because the illicit server is charging less than the legal one. Don't pretend for a moment that the Internet that gave us Pirate Bay and Torrentz would balk for a moment at saving five bucks a month by using an illegal game server.
    An illegal game server would not be developed like a legal game server with an active dev team. So there won't be any new missions, raids, or features besides the ones that might have been currently being worked on when the official servers were terminated, but never implemented.

If someone acquires the IP of a dead MMO and has an active dev team to create new content, then most of the private servers will die off even if there is higher cost. However, if someone acquires the IP of a dead MMO and doesn't create new content, then people will stick with free private servers rather than the legal servers that actually costs money. Although, if people had a choice between free private servers and free legal servers, then they would pick the free legal servers.
    I wouldn't bet on that. You're basically assuming a lack of talent and imagination on the part of the team running the private server. As many mods as there are for various game, I'm sure it's possible.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    valoreah wrote: »

You honestly cannot see the difference? There is no case by case here.

One has permission, the other does not. An owner giving permission for another to allow them to take and use their property is not stealing.

Where is the difficulty in understanding that?

I don't think you understood me at all.

NCSoft said no.
    Games Workshop said yes.

Two different cases. Two different responses. The situation has to be considered by the owner before a verdict can be passed down by said owner. And each one is different. Some may say yes. Some may say no. You can't just blanket all with the same answer if we already have a case of one saying yes.

Case by case basis.
    Let them decide.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    After all, why bother playing a Static MMO where it only includes the last patch from the MMO that shut down years ago when there is a new version creating new content?

Ask the thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people playing the game right now. I imagine most will say they still enjoy the game and it is completely free.

And what does that have to do with what I have said. There is not a legal version of the server creating new content to compete with the private servers to determine how many people would leave the illegal static private servers for the legal dynamic public servers.

When they actually create new raids, missions, archetypes, and features instead of adding what was already on the servers, but not implemented or bug fixes, then you might have a point. However, I have not seen a single private server that has an active dev team to create new content. Private servers have been limited to just fixing bug fixes and not implementing new content.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    After all, why bother playing a Static MMO where it only includes the last patch from the MMO that shut down years ago when there is a new version creating new content?

Ask the thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people playing the game right now. I imagine most will say they still enjoy the game and it is completely free.

I have not seen a single private server that has an active dev team to create new content. Private servers have been limited to just fixing bug fixes and not implementing new content.

Some of the SWG private servers have created or are working on new content such as additional planets, and the CoH private servers that are currently running actually are NOT running the final (though unreleased) retail version I24, rather they are running what is being referred to as I25 which is the result of modifications made continuously over the period that the game has been offline. A secret, invite only server has apparently been running this entire time, and they've added a new Archetype called the Sentinel, they've done a lot of power proliferation, they worked on some new zones but never finished them, and made other changes.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

I have not seen a single private server that has an active dev team to create new content. Private servers have been limited to just fixing bug fixes and not implementing new content.

Some of the SWG private servers have created or are working on new content such as additional planets, and the CoH private servers that are currently running actually are NOT running the final (though unreleased) retail version I24, rather they are running what is being referred to as I25 which is the result of modifications made continuously over the period that the game has been offline. A secret, invite only server has apparently been running this entire time, and they've added a new Archetype called the Sentinel, they've done a lot of power proliferation, they worked on some new zones but never finished them, and made other changes.

And for all the time that this secret server has been active, they haven't added a new Incarnate trial or the next Incarnate ability. As far as the Sentinel archetype goes, it is essentially a Blaster/Tanker Hybrid so it would be extremely easy to implement compared to the more interesting archetypes like Masterminds.

Since the legality of private servers have been beaten to death in this thread, which dead MMO would you like to play again? Aside from City of Heroes, my choice would have to be Tabula Rasa. It had the most interesting alt system ever. Every single alt is a genetically modified clone that you create before you pick the next character class. So if you picked a Ranger at level 15, then you can immediately create a Spy and a Sniper at level 30 instead of having to grind back up to level 30 to get both classes. Also, it only requires to grind another 15 levels for the Commando to create a Grenadier and Guardian classes.