test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The game has been virtually unplayable for over a month...

zkyleachzkyleach Member Posts: 21 Arc User
Account server disconnects, rubber banding, skill activations failing repeatedly, waiting 10-15 seconds between action and server response, back-queue events over 30 seconds (can't do anything but watch the last 30 seconds of actions replay until the server and client sync back up)...

I haven't been able to do anything but admiralty in weeks. I need the 50k dil. on my alts for the riposte but I can't get through more than half of them (5 or 6 alts) any given day because I get "unable to access acount server" or "connection to the server timed out" too often.

I've done everything I can do to check things on my end and to the best of my ability to tell this is 100% Cryptic/Arc/Whoever's servers. I'm in the U.S. on the East Coast. I really don't know if you're running split auth (tcp) game (udp) and I don't know if you're running regional servers for some services but please can someone check on this? The recent emergency patches had no effect for me.
Tagged:

Comments

• zkyleachzkyleach Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Dear Cryptic: this has been going on for a long time and if you would like to resolve the problem there is a fast, easy and inexpensive solution:

When a packet comes in it is addressed to your public facing IP. Based on what I have seen at this point you do software load balancing at the 7th layer (OSI). This is incredibly slow and unreliable. Instead, consider putting a BSD or Linux machine running IPVS in as the load balancer (yes, it can run multiple systems with heartbeat and SNMP for HA configuration). This system uses packet mangling and the NOARP flag to directly alter the destination of each packet at the kernel level. This is several orders of magnitude faster and it is designed to use most standard load distribution algorithms. It has proven to be extremely robust against DDoS attacks as well, typically MUCH better able to handle hundreds of millions of packets than software outside the kernel.

As an MMO I'm sure you already have some means of replicating sessions between servers, but the fact that you have to use downtime to roll out new releases is a strong indication that you have nothing like this in place. With this HA configuration, it would be possible to do server updates with no downtime (except client patching, which is client-side of course).
  • grizzly473grizzly473 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I have been trying to find out if the servers are having issue. I keep getting disco'ed and can't log back in.