What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

old player wondering what is going on with this game

2»

Comments

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    w00q wrote: »
    What I really missed is the *Exploration* aspect of STO, removed a few years back...

As it is, STO is much more about fighting, whereas the Star Trek franchise also has a heavy exploration aspect to it that STO had completely removed.

The Exploration side could be brought back, not in the same manner though.

For example.

System exploration could be broken down to space and ground.

Space would be little more than go here, scan that or that. You scan a planet and find out if it's inhabitable, if so, by whom, and are they a warp capable society. If warp capable, chances are that'll start the encounter with ship to ship contact, where upon you either talk yourself into combat or not.

Ground, the same thing, you can meet neutrals, that lead to combat or not, via talking. Couple this with ground adventure zones, like Nimbus or New Romulus, except make finding new things give a lore popup for them. Then break all this apart over the seasons, where they can add more to said area. This way, there is always something new to discover, over just playing the same worn out episodes and TFO's.

With this, they can add actual reputations. Since what we have is not that, it's just Task Force Completion. But reputations, where doing this for that species, can lower the reputation for that species over there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Game is definitely gone down hill. High point for me was legacy of romulus. There have been some quality of life changes and other things added that were good, but almost as many other good things were removed from the game. Now we are just here to do the daily event for the next shiny. They've really shoved that in there now... its event after even for some random piece of gear. Better get on and do the event to get your armor... or your console. Bleh...
    Tza0PEl.png
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Game is definitely gone down hill. High point for me was legacy of romulus. There have been some quality of life changes and other things added that were good, but almost as many other good things were removed from the game. Now we are just here to do the daily event for the next shiny. They've really shoved that in there now... its event after even for some random piece of gear. Better get on and do the event to get your armor... or your console. Bleh...

Other than my Endeavors. That's about the extent of my game play.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Word count over 4000! My attention span isn't up to wall'o'text. :(
    duasyn wrote: »
    Word count over 4000! My attention span isn't up to wall'o'text. :(

I stopped about 3 sentences is, well if punctuation had been used. Instead I was like, "HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE, BATMAN!"
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I was more like "Gah! Now I have a headache from running into that wall!"
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    OK, folks, let's stop with the grammar comments and stay on topic. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • shreddoggshreddogg Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Me too, Been since pre order have lifetime membership thinking this would be a great MMO with a lot of people on. Last few times I have been on I don't see Anyone. If I am missing something please let me know.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Yes, you are missing something
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • wraithknight#4461 wraithknight Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    (Yes, we saw this joke already. Now you're just trolling after I asked y'all to stop. Removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • christ4uchrist4u Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I do not mind some of the changes in Star Trek online - some good and many, well, let us say they are not up to par. Removal of content is a huge "NO NO," especially with a flimsy excuse as for streamlining purposes. IMO, if you remove something you should replace them with something equal or greater in value. - Currently the Discovery episodes being introduced is sub-par at best, with no coherent story plot. They should have been editions to the episode lineup and not substitutes 0 least that how I feel about them.

I do not know what is going on at the Studio - Lack of bug fixes, rumors of staff unemployment or downsizing - Very odd. Who is making these huge decisions? And do they understand the impact on it's existing player base? I am not pronouncing Doom for the game, just wondering what in the world is going on.

Constant back to back TFO's, changes to their marketing strategy etc... I even wonder about the coding of the game. I keep hearing the term cut & paste - makes it sound very very cheaply maintained.

I don't mind certain changes, but I do mind very severe bugs not being fixed, it is if there is no one doing bug fixing. Too much concentration on getting the next TFO off or the next insane fleet holding. I wish the game had no voice overs, as it seems that is taking alot of resource to make it work.

Older content is gone missing, and older voice overs no longer working - As if they game feels half-baked. Maybe it is approaching its limit, I do not know anymore. What say you all?
  • mikecobalt#1974 mikecobalt Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Losing the Foundry content pretty much killed my gaming here; I don't think I've played once since reading that. The trickle of content really wont be enough and not always in a direction I would like enough to *Pay for. The Non Existent interior segments all of the TV and Movie stories used so well is also disheartening. Most of the episodes in all of the titles considered the best are entirely story/dialog. Space combat is good, ground combat pretty good, but what set "Star Trek" apart from all others (The thought provoking stories/ "High Brow" as CBS called them many years ago) simply isn't here.
  • shreddoggshreddogg Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Is that an 'old player' or an 'old' player? ;)

Both man, I am really old, 63, been playing since early 80's and programming since early 70's. Played back then but nothing exciting. IBM sent me to school. I'm a dinosaur haha.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    My husband is slightly older than you are. He doesn't game though, he prefers sitting in front of his tv lol.

I started mostly with super mario brothers. This is my first MMO.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    christ4u wrote: »
    I do not mind some of the changes in Star Trek online - some good and many, well, let us say they are not up to par. Removal of content is a huge "NO NO," especially with a flimsy excuse as for streamlining purposes. IMO, if you remove something you should replace them with something equal or greater in value. - Currently the Discovery episodes being introduced is sub-par at best, with no coherent story plot. They should have been additions to the episode lineup and not substitutes. At least that how I feel about them.

I do not know what is going on at the Studio - Lack of bug fixes, rumors of staff unemployment or downsizing - Very odd. Who is making these huge decisions? And do they understand the impact on its existing player base? I am not pronouncing Doom for the game, just wondering what in the world is going on?

Constant back to back TFOs, changes to their marketing strategy etc... I even wonder about the coding of the game. I keep hearing the term cut & paste - makes it sound very very cheaply maintained.

I don't mind certain changes, but I do mind very severe bugs not being fixed, it is if there is no one doing bug fixing. Too much concentration on getting the next TFO off or the next insane fleet holding. I wish the game had no voice overs, as it seems that is taking a lot of resources to make it work.

Older content is gone missing, and older voice overs no longer working - As if they game feels half-baked. Maybe it is approaching its limit, I do not know anymore. What say you all?

Lack of bug fixes, my gluteus maximus. Do you read the patch notes? Several bugs are fixed in them. It is just that the bugs you want to be fixed have not been fixed yet (also, some bugs take a lot of time to fix depending on where they are in the code) and they are hiring on the Cryptic studios website. The one making decisions for STO is usually the executive producer, regardless of whether one agrees or does not agree with said decisions. They also are developing a Magic the Gathering MMO, so there is that. Have you wondered that maybe the back to back TFOs is a way to take time to work on bug fixes for the game as well as new content and not solely as a grind (which all really goes to the attitude of the player whether to treat it as grind or not since pretty much all games have some sort of grind to them)? I don't think there will be a new fleet holding in the future based on the reception of the colony world. I am glad the game has voiceovers, I just wish they actually played when you got to them and did not interrupt the other ones and instead were on a timer that when one was done, the next played as seen in professional video games. I like voicing my own character and many times do not like the character voiceovers seen in Let's Plays for other games. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
This discussion has been closed.