test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts and Feedback on ''...of Discovery''

Comments

• chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I don't know what you're on, but I think you're thinking that the Discovery content is going to be coming piece wise for everything.

1) They held off on the Discovery Constitution from release in March, presumably because they were told that the Enterprise was going to a focus on for the last couple of episodes of the season. They wanted to see what the ship was capable of.

2) The Discovery & Walker bridges were added at a later date because (and I'm speculating on this) they didn't have the time to build the maps in time. Remember that at the time that Discovery was just coming out, they were working on Victory is Life planning. Ships take a shorter amount of time to work on than an environment map.

3) I have a distinct feeling that when they release it, the Discovery Constitution and its bridge will likely both come together.

From what's been said in the last couple of livestreams, you're spot on. Kael mentioned that the Disco Connie and Section 31 ships were being looked at, but they wanted to wait until at least the end of this season before doing it to see if anything specific needed to be added. It really comes down to say... if the ship has the ability to turn completely purple and shoot pink death beams, as ungodly a sight as that might be, it's still likely players would want to see that ability in-game.

As for interiors, last week's episode was the first time we even saw the Disco Connie's bridge. And Kael mentioned that it takes a long time to make interiors. Something in excess of a few weeks.

So while I'm sure they've done a ton of prep work on the Disco Connie and Section 31 ship, it's probably still at least a month out before adapting to whatever changes show up in tonight's finale (tomorrow for those of us who are in Canada and on Crave TV).
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Leeta - Killy team up please :)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Leeta - Killy team up please :)
    @ambassadorkael#6946 has been pushing a Leeta/Killy meeting for awhile

Owww why stop there?! Let us play a our mirror counterparts! :) Mirror Squad assemble!

Mirror Leeta
    Mirror Player
    Mirror Tilly
    Mirror Tovan Khev ( Just so I can watch him die!)
    Mirror Number 1?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    Owww why stop there?! Let us play a our mirror counterparts! :) Mirror Squad assemble!

Mirror Leeta
    Mirror Player
    Mirror Tilly
    Mirror Number 1?
    Killy killed the mirror Disco character.

She wishes! I refuse to be taken down by a spoon!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User

Mirror Leeta
    Mirror Player
    Mirror Tilly
    Mirror Number 1?
    Killy killed the mirror Disco character.

I'm after Killy for damaging my ship, forget Federation morals on this, I'll be going full Terran on Killy when I find her next
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

This is just not fun. The stop and go content. The lack of updates. The lack of playable character species. The Random TFO grind into oblivion. This is just not what I want from this game.
      Not a whole lot of people want to 'must do this once a day, for at least 14 to 60 days' to get something.
      "Well, how many days'
      "We're not saying yet, cause we wanna gauge the feedback'

I dont really want it, even for a free T6 ship.
      In ViL, we got all but mission. The new race. And cardassians too. And all the new ships.

And now we get a 2 missions here, random tfo for 3 weeks. Another new mission. Only 2 races playable. Not even the alien everyone wants to play as. No new features for older species in that era, like Andorians or Klingons. That comes later. Later when? Can't say!
      Limited ship choices.
      No new recruitment feature.
      But we get a new rep.......later.......
      New important ships playable, but lackluster default bridge. Those come later. Unless they dont.

Honestly would have rather just waited for them to launch in June, so we get the full meal then, and a few sides later.
      This is just sucking the fun right out the game.

and you wonder why i dislike this Discovery nonsense on STO. sticking to canon and the developers not following their own stories instead?

i still can't wait to see the back of it.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
      edited April 2019
      chipg7 wrote: »
      For the most part I've really enjoyed the Disco content. The story missions definitely take longer to come out than they used to, but...
      Incorrect, they come out at the same 3 month average they have since mid 2016.

Ragnarok - July 6, 2016
      Echoes of Light - October 25, 2016(3 months)
      Of Signs and Portents - January 26, 2017(3months)
      Mirrors and Smoke - April 25, 2017(3months)
      Brushfire - July 18, 2017(3monhths)
      Beyond the Nexus - September 12, 2017(2 months)
      Melting Pot - October 3, 2017(1 month)
      Scylla and Charybdis - January 23, 2018(3months)
      The Renegade's Regret - April 3, 2018(3months)
      Victory is Life - June 5, 2018(2 months)
      Home - June 28, 2018(1 month)
      Age of Discovery - October 9, 2018(4 months)
      Mirror of Discovery - January 23, 2019(3 months)
      Rise of Discovery - May 2019(3 months)
      You put in a lot of effort just to miss, as well as validate, my point.

All of those missions have in common most or all of the four things I mentioned that make missions take longer to create: VO, new map, reward with new mechanics, and custom cut-scene animations.

That distinguishes them from the missions made much earlier in the game's history, just like I said earlier. When I said "newest" missions, in a game that's been around for 9 years, the last 3 years definitely is within the newer half.
      nixboox wrote: »
      rattler2 wrote: »
      nixboox wrote: »
      The understanding I get is that the Devs weren't in a rush to do ANY Discovery content but they were ordered to do it, trying to make Discovery more relevant.

They weren't forced into it. They asked.
      Now that Discovery is "over", I expect it is a gut wrenching feeling to have rushed to make content that no one really asked for, didn't want, and isn't relevant to STO.

All Trek is relevant to STO. Even the Kelvin Timeline, Enterprise, and Voyager.
      And you don't speak for everyone, so please don't try to. You speak only for yourself. Not me. Not anyone else.

I wasn't really interested in having a discussion about it, I was just sharing the facts. I speak for only what I know, I don't care to discuss an opinion.
      Your "facts" aren't facts. They're very much opinions. And if you didn't want to discuss them, you shouldn't have posted them on a forum in the section "General Discussion."

None of us own Trek - we're fans, and we have a voice as a general fanbase. I was very much "whyyyyyy??" on season 1 of Disco, but I watched it anyways as a fan. And season 2 ended up being a hit for me. But at the end of the day, I'm just a fan. I have no say in the direction of the franchise. I either enjoy it, or I don't. And for the vast majority of Trek, I enjoy it. So I continue to be a fan.

Contrast that with Star Wars. Over 4 movies since Disney took over, one I loved (Rogue One), one I was kind meh on (The Force Awakens), and the other two were some of the few times I've walked away after a movie in a theatre feeling genuinely annoyed over the time and money I felt I wasted. And even going back to the other 6 movies, there are a couple I really didn't enjoy either. So I don't actually enjoy Star Wars anymore, and I don't consider myself a fan of it. And I'm not going to bother seeing The Rise of Skywalker because it just doesn't matter to me.

Same with games. There have been games that went a different direction than I enjoy. Overwatch was a great example. I loooooooooved the game when it first came out. But the playerbase is so ridiculously toxic there now, that for the last month or so I played it I found myself feeling drained after a play session. So I uninstalled the game.

We're consumers, we have a choice as consumers as to what we want to spend our time and money on. And if you don't like the current direction of Trek, and as a result you don't like STO following it, that's ok. You're allowed to feel that way. But at the same time, it's probably time to move on. Enjoy games that are focused on the wealth of Trek that's existed before Disco, there are plenty.
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      I think that Cryptic was on the right track with the story content in ViL. It's just disappointing that it was completely dropped out of the blue. I do watch ST:D and it's more or less decent as far as shows go. I think it's good for the game for Cryptic to include ST:D content and they should continue to do so since it's obviously a good idea to try to tie the game into a currently ongoing show. I just wish that it didn't come at the expense of what they were building with the ViL expansion last year.

I really don't know why people think that ViL is for some reason incomplete. The storyline has a defeninite end - the Hur'q are cured, the evil Founder is dead. Any story that would come now would be something new. There isn't really anything unresolved in that arc.

They picked Discovery because that is the current series, that's what is exciting, and that is also what is most likely to draw new customers to STO, people that weren't interested in Star Trek in the last 10-20 years because there wasn't any new Star Trek series to remind them that a Star Trek game could be cool.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
      I really don't know why people think that ViL is for some reason incomplete.
      Basically people thinking "Because everyone HATES Discovery, and there is no way Cryptic can like Discovery, so them doing it after VIL means VIL was cut short and Cryptic was forced to do AoD!"

In reality, Cryptic has talked about in the past how, before they decided to do Delta Rising, they were considering if they should go to either the Gamma Quadrant, or the Delta Quadrant, for the next expansion, and ultimately chose the Delta Quadrant because it had far more canon in it compared to the GQ.

The GQ really only has the Dominion and the Hur'q. There's about a dozen or so other races in the GQ, all of which were shown to be in the shadow of the Dominion, and not major powers in their own right. There isn't a lot to build on in the GQ because even DS9 barely went to the GQ itself.

Oh, good! Then you can point me to the part in Victory is Life that explains why Kira suddenly goes from Kai to Starfleet Captain. I never could find that titbit myself.
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
      I believe it was kinda covered in a lore blog that Kira never ASKED to be Kai in the first place. It was basically pushed on her by the people. With the return of Kai Opaka, Kira stepped down and had her Starfleet Commission, that was given to her during the Dominion War, reinstated.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      The thing is the Vorta aren't being controlled through Ketracel like the Jem'Hadar were. No real reason to "free" them. The Hur'q can be handwaved like they did the continued existance of the Iconian STFs as renegate elements like T'ket continuing to fight. The Karemma might be left to their independance, which isn't really a loose thread. They would be no different than the Ferengi or Lukari not being a part of any major government in their quadrant.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      edited April 2019
      And how is Star Trek not relevant to Star Trek?

If I had to guess... The ol' "Not MY Trek" shtick. "Its only relevant when I accept it".

Anyone remember the rage against Enterprise or the Kelvin Timeline? What happened to that? Disappeared after Discovery came out.

Anyways... back on topic...
    • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
      And how is Star Trek not relevant to Star Trek?

If I had to guess... The ol' "Not MY Trek" shtick. "Its only relevant when I accept it".

Anyone remember the rage against Enterprise or the Kelvin Timeline? What happened to that? Disappeared after Discovery came out.

Anyways... back on topic...

nono i still hate kelvin - ha. I love all others.
      Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
      I believe it was kinda covered in a lore blog that Kira never ASKED to be Kai in the first place. It was basically pushed on her by the people. With the return of Kai Opaka, Kira stepped down and had her Starfleet Commission, that was given to her during the Dominion War, reinstated.

I figured as much.

My point is that leaving a major bit of character development out of the actual game leaves the game looking unfinished or badly written or even rushed.

Blogs are fine for side characters or minor interactions with main characters, but for a story element as heavy as the position of Kai... Leaving that out of the game proper seems like a hurried decision.
    • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
      In response to Rattler Kelvin hate didn't go away many people still hate it, the thing is they haven't made another Kelvin movie since Beyond so since it's not current news people don't bring it up that often. Discovery however is current and ongoing and many people hate it, so the hate is going to go on longer. And enterprise didn't recieve as much hate as discovery did, partially because Enterprise tried to fit in with everything while discovery just threw the rest of the shows out the window.
      Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      I figured as much.

My point is that leaving a major bit of character development out of the actual game leaves the game looking unfinished or badly written or even rushed.

Blogs are fine for side characters or minor interactions with main characters, but for a story element as heavy as the position of Kai... Leaving that out of the game proper seems like a hurried decision.
      Kira talks about it in the mission where you go retrieve Opaka who she's giving the position of Kai to. Could there have been more detail? sure. But it is at least mentioned in-game.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      Agreed. Conspiracy theories don't help either. The Devs have said that they asked CBS if they could. And STO is in a rather unique position, running alongside an active show.
    This discussion has been closed.