test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

secondary deflectors: inhibiting vs deteriorating

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
Can anyone give me some input on which of the secondary deflectors is best (or preferred) for exotic sci damage builds?

The guides i watched before committing to my sci torp boat build almost all said deteriorating was better for damage, though since it procs from debuffs instead of controls it seems more difficult to keep active. This is what i went with on my sci torp character, and im currently running destabilizing resonance beam and tykens rift to proc it, as it doesnt seem to activate from much else that i would be interested in using.

On the other hand, i have a fleet member who also runs a sci torp build and uses the inhibiting secondary deflector with amazing results. Inhibiting procs off of gravity well and subspace vortex, so he doesnt even need to run DBR or tykens rift like i do, giving him two more boff slots over me to use for heals/buffs.

At the same time, when looking at the stats on the two types of deflectors, it seems like deteriorating does more overall dps. At mk xii, i think the numbers are like:
Inhibiting: 4000 damage after 4 seconds
Deteriorating: 2000 damage per second for 9 seconds

As far as i can tell, the inhibiting deflector's damage only procs once per control ability used, so with those numbers you'd only get 4000 extra damage from a grav well, while deteriorating does 18,000 damage over 9 seconds, and a few seconds later youre already casting another debuff.
Then again, DBR and tykens both have very long cooldowns, and tykens can't be used until 15 seconds after your grav well. I use improved gravity well, so it lasts 40 seconds with a 40 second cooldown, but there's a very small window where i can activate tykens without it interfering with my grav well uptime.

Could really use some clarification on these mechanics, and what the best abilities to use for their procs are

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    lets put it this way... if you use grav well on a target in normal game play... how often is it still alive after 4 secs?

the only mobs that in my experience that lives long enough is boss mobs in ques.

Gravity Well
    Photonic Shock Wave
    Jam Sensors
    Scramble Sensors
    Tractor Beam
    Tractor Beam Repulsors

only Sci ships can use a secondary deflector so they have enough sci ability slots... but how often/many sci boff debuff abilities do you use?

Charged Particle Burst
    Destabilizing Resonance Beam
    Energy Siphon
    Structural Analysis
    Tachyon Beam
    Tyken's Rift
    Viral Matrix
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Can anyone give me some input on which of the secondary deflectors is best (or preferred) for exotic sci damage builds?

The guides i watched before committing to my sci torp boat build almost all said deteriorating was better for damage, though since it procs from debuffs instead of controls it seems more difficult to keep active. This is what i went with on my sci torp character, and im currently running destabilizing resonance beam and tykens rift to proc it, as it doesnt seem to activate from much else that i would be interested in using.

On the other hand, i have a fleet member who also runs a sci torp build and uses the inhibiting secondary deflector with amazing results. Inhibiting procs off of gravity well and subspace vortex, so he doesnt even need to run DBR or tykens rift like i do, giving him two more boff slots over me to use for heals/buffs.

At the same time, when looking at the stats on the two types of deflectors, it seems like deteriorating does more overall dps. At mk xii, i think the numbers are like:

As far as i can tell, the inhibiting deflector's damage only procs once per control ability used, so with those numbers you'd only get 4000 extra damage from a grav well, while deteriorating does 18,000 damage over 9 seconds, and a few seconds later youre already casting another debuff.
    Then again, DBR and tykens both have very long cooldowns, and tykens can't be used until 15 seconds after your grav well. I use improved gravity well, so it lasts 40 seconds with a 40 second cooldown, but there's a very small window where i can activate tykens without it interfering with my grav well uptime.

Could really use some clarification on these mechanics, and what the best abilities to use for their procs are

Subspace Vortex does not Proc the Inhibiting deflector.

Looking at An 80k parse I did with my self and another player (Both in sci ships)
    His Inhibiting defector was only doing about 6k dps/10% of his damage..
    My Deteriorating Deflector was doing 29kdps/36% of my damage.

The Inhibiting is a delayed radiation strike like the Neutronic Torpedos Neutronic Radiation..
    The Deteriorating does "18,000" PER TICK not over 9 seconds.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

tigeraries wrote: »
    lets put it this way... if you use grav well on a target in normal game play... how often is it still alive after 4 secs?

the only mobs that in my experience that lives long enough is boss mobs in ques.

Gravity Well
    Photonic Shock Wave
    Jam Sensors
    Scramble Sensors
    Tractor Beam
    Tractor Beam Repulsors

only Sci ships can use a secondary deflector so they have enough sci ability slots... but how often/many sci boff debuff abilities do you use?

Charged Particle Burst
    Destabilizing Resonance Beam
    Energy Siphon
    Structural Analysis
    Tachyon Beam
    Tyken's Rift
    Viral Matrix

In my Case...
    Destabilizing Resonance Beam, Structural Analysis
    Tachyon Beam,Tyken's Rift (Additional when I have space.)

But I also use TBR and GW3..

Parsing I know my Deteriorating deflector has worked very well and adds additional damage when Im using Tachyon and DRB..I belive it only refreshes the duration of the deflector damage.

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    Sounds like deteriorating is the way to go. What abilities do you recommend for proccing it? DBR and tykens are obvious, but i dont tend to use tachyon beam or energy siphon as the majority of space combat tends to be against groups of enemies and not single targets, and the aoe skills work against single bosses just as well
    Sounds like deteriorating is the way to go. What abilities do you recommend for proccing it? DBR and tykens are obvious, but i dont tend to use tachyon beam or energy siphon as the majority of space combat tends to be against groups of enemies and not single targets, and the aoe skills work against single bosses just as well

I recommend DBR and Structural Analysis. BOTH trigger the deflector and Both reduce enemies resistances (multiple enemies)
    Tachyon 1 If you have room. I usually only have 6 total sci boff seats (@ Sci Bridge officer Cmdr and lt Sci)..

Some times I run ships that are with 3 Sci Boffs (then Ill add Tykens1 to cycle between GW3)

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

edited April 2019
    The ship I'll be using is the lukari dranuur science vessel. It has commander science, lt commander universal/temporal, lt commander universal, lieutenant universal, and ensign universal.

I was thinking I'd set it up like this:

Commander science:
    Gravity well 3
    Subspace vortex 3
    Tykens rift 1
    Hazard emitters 1

Lt commander science/temporal:
    Chronometric inversion field 2
    Destabilizing resonance beam 1
    Hazard emitters 1

Lt commander tactical:
    Fire at will 3
    Fire at will 2
    Kemocite laced weapons 1

Ensign tactical:
    Tactical team 1

Lieutenant engineering:
    Emergency power to shields 2
    Emergency power to shields 1

How does this setup look?

I tried structural analysis for a bit on another sci character but because it needs a single living target to keep functioning, and everything other than bosses dies too fast, i didn't feel it was very useful.

Im using layered shielding, hence the doubled up epts, but i might make one of those an aux 2 sif 1. Im wanting a lot of low cooldown heals, since the mastery trait from the dranuur does an aoe radiation damage every time i use a heal.
    The ship I'll be using is the lukari dranuur science vessel. It has commander science, lt commander universal/temporal, lt commander universal, lieutenant universal, and ensign universal.

I was thinking I'd set it up like this:

Commander science:
    Gravity well 3
    Subspace vortex 3
    Tykens rift 1
    Hazard emitters 1

Lt commander science/temporal:
    Chronometric inversion field 2
    Destabilizing resonance beam 1
    Hazard emitters 1

Lt commander tactical:
    Fire at will 3
    Fire at will 2
    Kemocite laced weapons 1

Ensign tactical:
    Tactical team 1

Lieutenant engineering:
    Emergency power to shields 2
    Emergency power to shields 1

How does this setup look?

I tried structural analysis for a bit on another sci character but because it needs a single living target to keep functioning, and everything other than bosses dies too fast, i didn't feel it was very useful.

Im using layered shielding, hence the doubled up epts, but i might make one of those an aux 2 sif 1. Im wanting a lot of low cooldown heals, since the mastery trait from the dranuur does an aoe radiation damage every time i use a heal.
    [img][/img]nJdL5xW.jpg

Heres mine. I just transferred a build I was using on my Wells...Went back to the Wells..Yes its not your cup o tea because it uses torps..Oh well.

Thats alot of duplication for a science ship.I get your reasoning..I just wouldn't do it..If your wanting to proc the proto spill aux2sif will proc it quite often (Mines up every 10 seconds.). Aux2Sif will also get you to max 5 stacks exotic damage buffs with the fleet Restorative consoles very quickly...Additionally there is a Doff that placates when your getting a little too much aggros..(Its kinda a useful ability).Theres also an trait (Tricks of the trade) that I believe grants weapon power cost decrease when using aux2sif.

Id switch out one of your EmpS for EmpE to get ya close enough to make proto spill worth it (Basically a weak photonic shockwave that not shield penetrating)...Thats because this is not an exotic from of radiation (so its similar to Kemocite or the radiation from the Neutronic Torpedo).

I have layered shielding but dont ever use it as I rely heavily on Hull heals (and rely more on shield overload for more resists)

I really think your missing out on Structural Analysis.I run at least level 1. More debuffing is not bad. (Are you playing on advanced or elite?) but to each their own. Have fun!

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

I'll look into sensor analysis, might replace tyken's rift with it but I guess it depends on the situation.

So far, so good, though =)
    hd0CyCe.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Sensor Analysis is an ability that all science ships have, it's not a BOFF ability.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    > @echatty said:
    > Sensor Analysis is an ability that all science ships have, it's not a BOFF ability.

Sorry, meant structural analysis,easy to confuse the two
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    > @echatty said:
    > Sensor Analysis is an ability that all science ships have, it's not a BOFF ability.

Ah, that makes more sense. Never tried that one.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »
    > @echatty said:

Yea its a single target debuff (science boff ability) that reduces damage resistance, and then spreads to nearby enemies every couple of seconds. He was suggesting to use that as a way to proc the deteriorating deflector radiation damage.
    echatty wrote: »
    > @echatty said:

Yea its a single target debuff (science boff ability) that reduces damage resistance, and then spreads to nearby enemies every couple of seconds. He was suggesting to use that as a way to proc the deteriorating deflector radiation damage.

No..Its a Contiguous Debuff. It will both Proc your deflector AND (use with Gravity Well) Debuff anywhere from 4 - 8 other targets (depending on level)

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

> No..Its a Contiguous Debuff. It will both Proc your deflector AND (use with Gravity Well) Debuff anywhere from 4 - 8 other targets (depending on level)

But only if the primary target survives that long. Thats the issue i have with it - it has to remain active on the primary target to keep spreading to other targets and when even tougher enemies tend to die within seconds it just doesnt seem that useful.

I can get more damage out of tykens rift or even charged particle burst, still proc the secondary deflector on every target hit, and just use sensor scan for the dr debuff
    > No..Its a Contiguous Debuff. It will both Proc your deflector AND (use with Gravity Well) Debuff anywhere from 4 - 8 other targets (depending on level)

But only if the primary target survives that long. Thats the issue i have with it - it has to remain active on the primary target to keep spreading to other targets and when even tougher enemies tend to die within seconds it just doesnt seem that useful.

I can get more damage out of tykens rift or even charged particle burst, still proc the secondary deflector on every target hit, and just use sensor scan for the dr debuff

So..What is your ISA Dps? Im doing around 120k and It still takes more than 2 seconds to destroy my primary target..2 seconds is all that debuff needs to move to other targets.

Sensor Scan is an every 90 seconds affair..Structural Analysis is available faster than everything (debuff related) other than Tachyon beam.Just between those abilities..Your secondary defector is never down.

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

Ok maybe im misunderstanding how it works then. Once it spreads once will it spread from a secondary to another still? I thought it only effected one secondary target every 2 seconds and if the main target dies the spread stops?
    Ok maybe im misunderstanding how it works then. Once it spreads once will it spread from a secondary to another still? I thought it only effected one secondary target every 2 seconds and if the main target dies the spread stops?

I see nothing in the ability description that says that (i.e. Main target dies the ability stops).

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

Game Description: Structural Analysis rapidly finds weaknesses within a target ship,reducing their damage resistance for a short time.This does not require a significant amount of processing power; while Structural Analysis running, it can identify weaknesses within other nearby target concurrently. Any given target may only be affected by one instance of Structural Analysis at a given time.

To me, the way that reads says "you cast this on one ship, and it will occasionally debuff the resistances of other nearby ships". If you stop analyzing the target ship, why would it continue spreading?

In other MMO's this would be a single-target ability that occasionally debuffs nearby enemies, but if the single target dies, the debuffing stops as well (it will run its course on currently effected targets, but not keep spreading).

Now, if it were more like a pestilence-style ability, where it jumps from the main target to another, and then to another, and then to another, spreading exponentially, I can see how it would be much more useful, but unfortunately there's not a really good way to test this and cryptic is incredibly bad at writing useful tooltips or providing players with information on how things actually work.

So as far as secondary deteriorating deflector's debuff goes, this is how I see it working:

Scenario: big group of enemies (lets say 10 enemies), no major bosses or anything. You're obviously going to be casting gravity well and subspace vortex right off the bat, so everything will be nice and clustered together in a 1 Km katamari ball.

At that point:

Casting structural analysis on one target debuffs its damage resistance by 25ish. Every 2 seconds afterwards, it jumps to another target and debuffs that target's resistance by the same amount. To spread to 10 enemies, this would take 20 seconds (and the ability doesnt even last that long).

Casting tyken's rift (15 seconds after gravity well, due to linked cooldown) would instantly apply additional kinetic damage over time, proc deteriorating deflector, and debuff enemy power levels for all 10 enemies instantly on cast. I'm not sure if power levels effect NPC enemies (I assume they do), but tyken's rift should be dropping both damage and resistance by draining weapon/aux/engine/shield power from all effected targets.

Casting destabilizing resonance beam will instantly deal damage, debuff resistance, and apply deteriorating deflector to every target in the area, and will continue casting (usually) for several seconds after the main target dies, so if your target goes down quick you dont lose out so much of the cast.

Charged particle burst will instantly debuff/drain shields of everything in the area, and apply deteriorating.

So unless there's some hidden mechanic where structural analysis will continue spreading from secondary targets to tertiary and so on, the only thing it has going for it is cooldown.
    edited April 2019
    Game Description: Structural Analysis rapidly finds weaknesses within a target ship,reducing their damage resistance for a short time.This does not require a significant amount of processing power; while Structural Analysis running, it can identify weaknesses within other nearby target concurrently. Any given target may only be affected by one instance of Structural Analysis at a given time.

To me, the way that reads says "you cast this on one ship, and it will occasionally debuff the resistances of other nearby ships". If you stop analyzing the target ship, why would it continue spreading?

In other MMO's this would be a single-target ability that occasionally debuffs nearby enemies, but if the single target dies, the debuffing stops as well (it will run its course on currently effected targets, but not keep spreading).

Now, if it were more like a pestilence-style ability, where it jumps from the main target to another, and then to another, and then to another, spreading exponentially, I can see how it would be much more useful, but unfortunately there's not a really good way to test this and cryptic is incredibly bad at writing useful tooltips or providing players with information on how things actually work.

So as far as secondary deteriorating deflector's debuff goes, this is how I see it working:

Scenario: big group of enemies (lets say 10 enemies), no major bosses or anything. You're obviously going to be casting gravity well and subspace vortex right off the bat, so everything will be nice and clustered together in a 1 Km katamari ball.

At that point:

Casting structural analysis on one target debuffs its damage resistance by 25ish. Every 2 seconds afterwards, it jumps to another target and debuffs that target's resistance by the same amount. To spread to 10 enemies, this would take 20 seconds (and the ability doesnt even last that long).

Casting tyken's rift (15 seconds after gravity well, due to linked cooldown) would instantly apply additional kinetic damage over time, proc deteriorating deflector, and debuff enemy power levels for all 10 enemies instantly on cast. I'm not sure if power levels effect NPC enemies (I assume they do), but tyken's rift should be dropping both damage and resistance by draining weapon/aux/engine/shield power from all effected targets.

Casting destabilizing resonance beam will instantly deal damage, debuff resistance, and apply deteriorating deflector to every target in the area, and will continue casting (usually) for several seconds after the main target dies, so if your target goes down quick you dont lose out so much of the cast.

Charged particle burst will instantly debuff/drain shields of everything in the area, and apply deteriorating.

So unless there's some hidden mechanic where structural analysis will continue spreading from secondary targets to tertiary and so on, the only thing it has going for it is cooldown.

Okay..some clarification..
    Structural analysis will absolutely "infect" another ship and not go away just because the "primary" ship dies for the duration of the ability or the ship (which ever ends first). So as you say..It is a "pestilence-style ability" but not exponentially as the ability description says "every 2 seconds" so that means per ability level that is at most 4 to 6 ships for the duration.

So per the basic description..It does what it says(Thankyou CrypticSpartan)..The mouse over (Tooltip) is even More specific.."Spreads to 1 additional Target with in 4km every 2 seconds for 8 seconds" <-This is the level 1 ability (@-20 all). So Up to 4 targets on this one.The Highest level would equal 6 ship in 12 seconds. (Very useful on those Darn Tzenkethi no?)

So as long as you have something alive..It has the potential to be debuffed by that ability while it is active.

Hrmm Well im interested in a side by side so lets do this:

Pros (LT Seat)
    Structural Anaylsis2
    -28 on up to 5 targets within 4km for 10 sec
    Procs the Defector
    20 second cooldown @ 35% Sci CD

Tykens1
    1536 Kinetic damage per sec to everything within 3km for 10 sec
    Procs the Deflector
    38 second cooldown @ 35% Sci CD

Im actually only really advocating for the Ensign seat. (Who need 2 hazards?)

For the the Lt Seat..If you dont have a Doffed TBR..Tykens1 would be the way to go. But..If your a control build your not going to have high drain so Id ignore the subsystem drain..Everything will be dead long before it does anything of use. Even on my "Example" @ 313 DrainX and 100 Aux im only doing -30 all subsystems per sec for 10 sec (CBP at this seat is 7.9k on that ship)..So If the NPC has no drain resistances..That should be 3 seconds for the higher power levels to go "bye bye"..But Quite a few Npcs are flat out immune to drain effects..

However..I have another idea...If Structural Analysis aint your thing.. Why not Photonic Officer 1 for that LT seat..No it wont trigger your deflector..BUT...The up date to this ability is really nice..It works on all abilities,it doesn't rely on a % chance to activate, its already at global, and the level 1 ability is equal to a 40% reduction in cooldowns on its own..If you got the Improved Photonic Officer Starship trait that level 1 ability is now a 60% cooldown...Whacha think?

Post edited by odinforever20000 on

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

Ah, i use hazard on one ensign and transfer shield strength or polarize hull on the other usually. Lieutenant spots would be tykens 1 and tss2 or polarize 2 depending on which im using for ensign seats. Lt com is ssv and drb, and commander is grav 3.
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User

At that point:

Structural analysis will absolutely "infect" another ship and not go away just because the "primary" ship dies for the duration of the ability or the ship (which ever ends first). So as you say..It is a "pestilence-style ability" but not exponentially as the ability description says "every 2 seconds" so that means per ability level that is at most 4 to 6 ships for the duration.

So per the basic description..It does what it says(Thankyou CrypticSpartan)..The mouse over (Tooltip) is even More specific.."Spreads to 1 additional Target with in 4km every 2 seconds for 8 seconds" <-This is the level 1 ability (@-20 all). So Up to 4 targets on this one.The Highest level would equal 6 ship in 12 seconds. (Very useful on those Darn Tzenkethi no?)

So as long as you have something alive..It has the potential to be debuffed by that ability while it is active.

Pros (LT Seat)
    Structural Anaylsis2
    Procs the Defector

Tykens1
    Procs the Deflector

For the the Lt Seat..If you dont have a Doffed TBR..Tykens1 would be the way to go. But..If your a control build your not going to have high drain so Id ignore the subsystem drain..Everything will be dead long before it does anything of use. Even on my "Example" @ 313 DrainX and 100 Aux im only doing -30 all subsystems per sec for 10 sec (CBP at this seat is 7.9k on that ship)..So If the NPC has no drain resistances..That should be 3 seconds for the higher power levels to go "bye bye"..But Quite a few Npcs are flat out immune to drain effects..

However..I have another idea...If Structural Analysis aint your thing.. Why not Photonic Officer 1 for that LT seat..No it wont trigger your deflector..BUT...The up date to this ability is really nice..It works on all abilities,it doesn't rely on a % chance to activate, its already at global, and the level 1 ability is equal to a 40% reduction in cooldowns on its own..If you got the Improved Photonic Officer Starship trait that level 1 ability is now a 60% cooldown...Whacha think?

It is infact exponential.

Hitting the first target, then after 2 seconds, spreads tothe second target,then after 2 seconds, the first and second targets both spread the debuff to another target each.

One thing somebody could clarify for me here.does tykens doff proc also trigger secondary deflector?

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    charged particle burst is also interesting, it procs the deteriorating secondary deflector, drain shield and if you have skill points in drain, there is the skill point which add electrical damage; not a huge amount by damages are damages

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Charged_Particle_Burst

(damn' already listed :p )
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    redwren89 wrote: »

At that point:

Pros (LT Seat)
    Structural Anaylsis2
    Procs the Defector

Tykens1
    Procs the Deflector

Hitting the first target, then after 2 seconds, spreads tothe second target,then after 2 seconds, the first and second targets both spread the debuff to another target each.

One thing somebody could clarify for me here.does tykens doff proc also trigger secondary deflector?

The doffs that spawn new rifts? That is a good question I can't answer.

I only have that one on my carrier captain which has no secondary deflector. I'm going to guess not, in the same way I'm fairly sure that red gravity wells from the Glenn trait with the doff to spawn more grav wells do not spawn red ones, and I'm pretty sure Overwhelming force doesn't proc the inhibiting deflector either with its mini charged particle bursts.

I think typically things that proc on Boff powers only proc on the actual Boff power not Doff or trait spawned effects.
    redwren89 wrote: »

At that point:

Pros (LT Seat)
    Structural Anaylsis2
    Procs the Defector

Tykens1
    Procs the Deflector

Tykens Rifts Triggers the Deteriorating deflector. The Secondary doff does not

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.