test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery 2x13: Such Sweet Sorrow

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Loved the episode but it had a few big problems

A: Following the Enterprise is the only way Section 13 can know where the Discovery is. There is no way to track a spore jump so by telling the Enterprise to meet them, they lead Section 13 to them.

B: The entire last stand was pointless. It’s a time jump it doesn’t matter if they do it today, tomorrow or next week just as long as they do it before Section 13 turn up. So why not just Spore jump 2 months warp travel away. Section 13 have no idea where to even start looking given them plenty of time to safely charge up the crystal with the spore drive disabled. Why risk such an important mission on a last stand when its so easy to complete the mission without risk.

It’s like when the Cyborg died a few weeks ago . That only happened because everyone suddenly went brain dead for no apparent reason.

Apart from the plot being stupid it was enjoyable to watch.

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »

A: Following the Enterprise is the only way Section 13 can know where the Discovery is. There is no way to track a spore jump so by telling the Enterprise to meet them, they lead Section 13 to them.

B: The entire last stand was pointless. It’s a time jump it doesn’t matter if they do it today, tomorrow or next week just as long as they do it before Section 13 turn up. So why not just Spore jump 2 months warp travel away. Section 13 have no idea where to even start looking given them plenty of time to safely charge up the crystal with the spore drive disabled. Why risk such an important mission on a last stand when its so easy to complete the mission without risk.

It’s like when the Cyborg died a few weeks ago . That only happened because everyone suddenly went brain dead for no apparent reason.

Writing competent characters makes for boring or short television. We certainly wouldn't have had an exciting cliffhanger if the Discovery crew was competent.

My main problem with this episode was the Enterprise interior. Sure it causes nostalgia overload, but the style of the interior is too retro for Discovery's style.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Writing competent characters makes for boring or short television. We certainly wouldn't have had an exciting cliffhanger if the Discovery crew was competent.

My main problem with this episode was the Enterprise interior. Sure it causes nostalgia overload, but the style of the interior is too retro for Discovery's style.

I don't know about that. The Enterprise is a fair bit older than the Disco'.

What I liked was they actually changed the interior colour to a red oxide-orange. Now, I could be wrong, but I believe the original TOS sets used red, which appeared slightly orange on-screen because of the film (same reason Kirk's tunic looked green and the command shirts yellow, even though they were supposed to be the same colour).

Now, the evacuation corridors...

Right, serious question: why not just have a docking collar on the saucer section like the NX-01 and the Connie (see In a Mirror Darkly...)? Having those corridors extending from the stardrive and then relying on forcefields is stupid. They're deployed in emergency situations, hence the word 'evacuation'. What happens if the emergency happens to result in a power failure?

"The crew is evacuating the ship now, Captain."

"Very good, ensign Ricky."

"Oh dear. Captain, the EPS grid is fluctuating. The forcefields are gone. Everybody in the evacuation corridors are dead, Dave."

"What, even Kowalski?"

"Everybody's dead Dave."

"What about Rimmer?"

And so on...
    ryan218 wrote: »

Then the Enterprise should look more like the USS Kelvin since they are from about the same time.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User

Then the Enterprise should look more like the USS Kelvin since they are from about the same time.

I'd rather Discovery, instead, look like something from the tos era, such as the TOS take of it in this game
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t0d6cIMdSY

Little after 1:09 or so, as Val in the thread I posted mentioned.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited April 2019

What I liked was they actually changed the interior colour to a red oxide-orange. Now, I could be wrong, but I believe the original TOS sets used red, which appeared slightly orange on-screen because of the film (same reason Kirk's tunic looked green and the command shirts yellow, even though they were supposed to be the same colour).

Right, serious question: why not just have a docking collar on the saucer section like the NX-01 and the Connie (see In a Mirror Darkly...)? Having those corridors extending from the stardrive and then relying on forcefields is stupid. They're deployed in emergency situations, hence the word 'evacuation'. What happens if the emergency happens to result in a power failure?
    Wasn’t it shown in DS9 where we had a Cardassian making fun of the Federation for having redundancy systems for a redundancy system of a main system. Miles O'Brien made a little speech over it and how they wouldn't do it any other way. Perhaps the ship does have a docking collar on the saucer section for when power is at risk. It’s been shown the Federation over Engineer almost everything often with systems they never use or only use once or a handful of times over 7+ years. We know they have space for all this stuff from them showing us the turbolift traveling with the camera outside the turbolift around the inside of the ship, that the ship has large gaps inside the hull.

I agree with starkaos making it to realistic makes it boring but some of the things do ruin the experience. Like when the cyborg dies because everyone forgot what a transporter was even though they had just used one right before the incident.

• lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User

Wasn’t it shown in DS9 where we had a Cardassian making fun of the Federation for having redundancy systems for a redundancy system of a main system. Miles O'Brien made a little speech over it and how they wouldn't do it any other way. Perhaps the ship does have a docking collar on the saucer section for when power is at risk. It’s been shown the Federation over Engineer almost everything often with systems they never use or only use once or a handful of times over 7+ years. We know they have space for all this stuff from them showing us the turbolift traveling with the camera outside the turbolift around the inside of the ship, that the ship has large gaps inside the hull.

I agree with starkaos making it to realistic makes it boring but some of the things do ruin the experience. Like when the cyborg dies because everyone forgot what a transporter was even though they had just used one right before the incident.

And what would the transporter do in this situation?
    yjIzVE9.png
    edited April 2019

The cyborg a few episodes ago who lost control of her body why didn’t they just transport her to the brig instead of having a panic about do I or do I not pull the airlock hatch?

Once she was blown out into space why did everyone stand around just watching? These are trained professionals shouldn’t one of them thought hang on a minuet I don’t need to let my friend die, I just used a transporter a matter of minuets ago, why don't I lock the transporters on and beam her to sick bay. Her entire death was pointless and avoidable.

Apart from that stupid bit that was my favourite episode of the season with the mines.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2019

The cyborg a few episodes ago who lost control of her body why didn’t they just transport her to the brig instead of having a panic about do I or do I not pull the airlock hatch?

Once she was blown out into space why did everyone stand around just watching? These are trained professionals shouldn’t one of them thought hang on a minuet I don’t need to let my friend die, I just used a transported a matter of minuets ago, why don't I lock the transporters on and beam her to sick bay.

Apart from that stupid bit that was my favourite episode of the season with the mines.

The official explanation is that they didn't beam her to the ship's brig because they were afraid she would somehow get loose and/or "infect" the ship's computers with the AI. Now, having said that, here are the problems with that explanation:

They brought her to the ship after she died... and actually plugged her into systems on the ship. Well, she might not have been able to get loose anymore, but her computer systems could still have potentially "infected" the ship's computers.

But wait! They put her in s "secure" area where no virus/infection could spread, right? Well, we're talking about a super advanced AI they don't even fully understand. No "safe space" would have been secure enough to risk the possibility of something going wrong.

So no, she probably wasn't safe to bring back to the ship, period. But the writers ignored that because they wanted to do the funeral stuff, so yeah.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    As nice as the Enterprise looks, it actually suffers from being updated. It looks visually like the TOS era film ships inside but built on a DSC budget, but it still suffers from the TOS things they should have removed. If you're going to make the base blue and grey like DSC and TWoK then don't make the fittings red just because TOS did.

It's doubly annoying because The Cage Enterprise was blue and grey, was probably built on half the budget of the TOS one and looked far less cheap and tacky. Now all they've done is pollute a TOS film/DSC era hybrid with TOS fittings when the pilots already fit the era and looked far superior.

And if you wanted to keep the hideous and cheap looking TOS look as ENT did then you should have kept it all. It already sticks out like a sore thumb next to every other incarnation of Trek, there's hardly any of the look you can keep in that colour scheme that would still be recognisable and fit into the timeline.

The NX, the Kelvin, and the Conni refit are obviously the inspirations for the exterior remodel, making the Conni fit into the established look of ships, but for the interior they suddenly backpedal and ruin what could have been a great look just to look like a mistake from 50 years ago.

Still, the visuals in this episode were fantastic. Those docking ramps! The torpedos. Control's fleet. Artistic.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    As nice as the Enterprise looks, it actually suffers from being updated. It looks visually like the TOS era film ships inside but built on a DSC budget, but it still suffers from the TOS things they should have removed. If you're going to make the base blue and grey like DSC and TWoK then don't make the fittings red just because TOS did.

It's doubly annoying because The Cage Enterprise was blue and grey, was probably built on half the budget of the TOS one and looked far less cheap and tacky. Now all they've done is pollute a TOS film/DSC era hybrid with TOS fittings when the pilots already fit the era and looked far superior.

And if you wanted to keep the hideous and cheap looking TOS look as ENT did then you should have kept it all. It already sticks out like a sore thumb next to every other incarnation of Trek, there's hardly any of the look you can keep in that colour scheme that would still be recognisable and fit into the timeline.

The NX, the Kelvin, and the Conni refit are obviously the inspirations for the exterior remodel, making the Conni fit into the established look of ships, but for the interior they suddenly backpedal and ruin what could have been a great look just to look like a mistake from 50 years ago.

Still, the visuals in this episode were fantastic. Those docking ramps! The torpedos. Control's fleet. Artistic.​​

To me, the big no forgive actions were the bridge window, the angle support struts (with the holes in the middle), and dirty, steel looking exterior.

Needed to be smooth, baby.

I thought it looked awesome in the Ent 2 parter, as well as in ST Continues, Phase 2 and Axxanar. B)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHvhuNXvV0
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Ohh boy, what sort of delusions do they have this week?

I stopped caring after hearing the VISUALS = TIMELINE! argument after the 500th time, which isn't how timelines or canon work.
    I agree with them. Those corridors were cheap redressings of the Disco, and I'd get a HEADACHE on their bridge with all that bright glare.

And those escape tubes....that was laughable but not in a good way.

Ya sure watch 2 and a half hour videos fast, Som.

Some of us still care. :/
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    I agree with them. Those corridors were cheap redressings of the Disco, and I'd get a HEADACHE on their bridge with all that bright glare.

I never said I watched their 2+ hour video, in fact, I explicitly stated I stopped watching their videos after hearing "BUT THE PRIME UNIVERSE IS BASED ON LOOKS!" argument for the 500th time.

As for the escape tubes, I have no problem with them. They are a logical "Star Trek" version of typical sci-fi escape/ship-to-ship connector tubes, which generally have a walkway surrounded by some sort of tubing. With Star Trek's tech, simply making a frame, and them filling in the gaps using forcefields, is a more space effective way that uses Star Trek's tech to its advantage.

Not even TNG had that.

If they insist on nothing but prequels, we're gonna have the hot irons at their feet.
    stop the prequel nonsense, since since 2002, it's been prequel, prequel, prequel.

Enough, already. Go foreword, for once.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    The Enterprise doesn't have paper print out reports? Why? This was the only thing I was waiting for.
    Post edited by hawku001x on

I never said I watched their 2+ hour video, in fact, I explicitly stated I stopped watching their videos after hearing "BUT THE PRIME UNIVERSE IS BASED ON LOOKS!" argument for the 500th time.

As for the escape tubes, I have no problem with them. They are a logical "Star Trek" version of typical sci-fi escape/ship-to-ship connector tubes, which generally have a walkway surrounded by some sort of tubing. With Star Trek's tech, simply making a frame, and them filling in the gaps using forcefields, is a more space effective way that uses Star Trek's tech to its advantage.

Are we back to people complaining because things don't look like "cardboard sets in a garage"?
    yjIzVE9.png

Are we back to people complaining because things don't look like "cardboard sets in a garage"?

*coughrogueonecough*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    L'Rell may have accepted it, but the rest of the council may not be so forward thinking.
    It doesn't matter, shes not sending the entire fleet of the Klingon Empire, and she doesn't need authorization from the entire council to mobilize a few ships for a personal endeavor.
    Klingons won't lift a finger unless there is something in it for them to cast that purely internal matter aside.
    This is entirely your headcanon.

she does and you clearly haven't seen the previous episodes at the start of season 2, much less the first episodes of ENT and again at the end of season 2 with Duras.

Klingons by their nature are self-serving and on the matter of politics, you saw what happened in TNG and DS9, they don't do anything without the councils support. so basically you haven't answered the point to either. first one you can't be bothered and the second you are making excuses considering what i just pointed out. i expected better off you, and further down you made a point of your own:
    -The Klingons cut out a great deal of the corrupt elements of their leadership.

The Klingons didn't "cut out" anything:

- Worf killed Gowrown in personal combat.
    - The Duras sisters were killed by a torpedo fired by Riker's order from the crippled Ent-D, even before this due to Romulan involvement in their attempted coup, Starfleet was responsible for exposing that connection and ending the coup. Gowrown then rewrites history.
    - TNG Duras tried to kill Gowrown and was discovered to be behind the deaths of numerous individuals. He was slain by Worf.
    - The Suliban under the direction of future man attempted to destabilize the Klingon empire but with the couriers help and Starfleet, the courier arrived to deliver the information to the empire.
    - ENT Duras attempted to gather support and was killed by Archer from the NX-01 torpedo strike.
    - Burnham was responsible for putting an end to T'Kuvma.
    - Discovery was responsible for putting down Kol.
    - Burnham and Culper were directly responsible for forcing L'Rell who was captive at the time to kill what remained of Voq.
    - Terran Goergiou was responsible for killing the head of a Klingon house to save L'Rell, Ash and their baby.

There are far too many from other empires cutting out Klingon corruption for them. It proves one thing; Klingons don't do anything that benefits their own empire let alone others unless there is something in it for them to do so. But i'm sure that is all headcanon, huh?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2019
    Not even TNG had that.

If they insist on nothing but prequels, we're gonna have the hot irons at their feet.
    stop the prequel nonsense, since since 2002, it's been prequel, prequel, prequel.

Enough, already. Go foreword, for once.
    “The problem with a post Voyager show ultimately comes down to the fact that all the major players of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, are on non-hostile, if not outright friendly, terms. To have any of these races be an antagonistic force in a post DS9/VOY setting would be basically undoing DS9 just for the sake of having a badguy, which is TRIBBLE writing. On the other hand, all of these races being friendly, if not outright allied, removes any sort of larger tension for local space. The Federation has been exploring the galaxy for over 200 years at this point, has charted and explored 20% of the galaxy, and is well aware of the major players around them. Its too peaceful as is, and to magically have the "Klingoff" Empire, that was just on the other side of the Klingon Empire, and who hates everyone, but we never talked about them because... reasons, show up to be the new badguy reeks of poor writing as well.”
    What about the Xenophobic Tholian empire? They have always been at odds with the Federation though all the shows and the game. They pretty much hate everyone who isn’t Tholian and they have been talked about and referenced more than enough to not be a magically appearing “Klingoff" Empire. Wouldn't they be a good antagonistic race post DS9/VOY as they go all the way back to TOS and have always had tension with the Federation?

I wouldn't want to see yet another war story though. Perhaps a coldwar with tension could work.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

*coughrogueonecough*
    Star Wars never looked like TOS. That it was done on a movie budget a decade later is definitely visible in the quality of its sets and design.
    It also has the advantage of never pretending to be humanity's future.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

*coughrogueonecough*
    Star Wars never looked like TOS. That it was done on a movie budget a decade later is definitely visible in the quality of its sets and design.
    It also has the advantage of never pretending to be humanity's future.

Star Wars was designed to look realistic in ANH which is why RO and Solo worked now. TOS was not designed to look realistic, it was stylised from the start. For some reason smokebailey keeps mentioning Star Wars as though it has anything to do with TOS in any way.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

reyan01 wrote: »
    If Discovery S3 is set a more distant future (presumably the 33rd century as per the short-trem 'Calypso') they get a clean slate. No more of this "BUT THAT ISN'T CANON" rubbish. No more "that doesn't look the way it should" nonsense. And it's enough of a jump that nothing that happened in ENT, DSC, TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voy needs to matter as the timeframe is so very far removed from all of that.

Who the hell cares? Seriously. The producers might have tempered some of Fuller's original ideas somewhat but it's clear from the Enterprise that they care even less for the basement dwelling weirdos who say all that bollocks.

If they want to tell the story in the 2260s and it makes them money and is a success they won't modify it because some manchild had a fit on the internet and made a three hour video about how the chairs on the Enterprise are the wrong shade of grey.

But if they did move the setting to the future for their own reasons they'll still get exactly the same reactions because Peter Pan in their basement, sat on their Kirk bodypillows, are going to hate every last thing about it because they're programmed to overreact to anything new because it doesn't match exactly what exists in their heads.

They managed it with TNG for all sorts or reasons because they simply cannot handle the fact that CBS doesn't react exactly to their whims and desires and has the audacity to do what they think is best for their own IP.

You can pick one troll on this very forum and let them produce a Trek series to their exact specifications and it will be utterly despised by another troll on this very forum.
    Studios should never listen to the screaming abdabs on social media because it never is well reasoned criticism. It's just raw, unadulterated, frothing, childish emotion.​​

#TASforSTO

Plus if S3 is set in the far future, how do we get Spock back to the 23rd century in time for TOS?
    yjIzVE9.png
    Plus if S3 is set in the far future, how do we get Spock back to the 23rd century in time for TOS?
    They get back to the past obviously. We know Phillipa is going to be in S3 of Discovery, and she has her own Sec 31 show/mini-series coming up.
    As its a mini series could it take place while Phillipa is with Sec 31 but before she was on Discovery? Although I bet you are right and they come back to the present.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    > @lostcause212 said:
    > Plus if S3 is set in the far future, how do we get Spock back to the 23rd century in time for TOS?

The trailer for the next episode shows Spock in a shuttle. I suspect that he will, somehow, get left behind....
    Which solves this issue.

Same could happen for Empress Georgiou depending on if the Section 31 series happens before or after the Season 2 Finale. Personally, I suspect that she would go to the future with the rest of Discovery due to her weird relationship with Burnham and the Section 31 series takes place during the first half of Season 2 of Discovery.